Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

bobkatt013 posted:

Doom eats pizza with a fork and knife.

Doom isn't that evil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Mr Hootington posted:

Doom isn't that evil.

No, he is exactly that evil.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Doom probably just orders from Pizza Hut while he's rewatching Star Trek.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mr Hootington posted:

Doom isn't that evil.

Richards also claims he has tiny hands

Luchacabra
Jun 12, 2015

Aphrodite posted:

There's no way Doom's mask allows for him to eat pizza, so he doesn't see the need for it.

I'll have you know that the little slots in the mouthpiece of Doom's mask are precisely the dimension of a Totino's Pizza Roll.

In fact, that's the easiest way to tell if you are dealing with the real Doctor Doom. If the apertures are even the least bit off spec, that's a Doombot.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

bobkatt013 posted:

Richards also claims he has tiny hands

Make Latveria Great Again

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
You know we're gonna open up a portal to the Negative Zone and load it up with bad dudes.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Wheat Loaf posted:

You know we're gonna open up a portal to the Negative Zone and load it up with bad dudes.

Tony Stark for President?

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

bobkatt013 posted:

Tony Stark for President?

When Tony becomes president, he's going to build a wall around Earth, make the Kree pay for it, and he's going to deport Captain Marvel and all the Inhumans back to space.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Hell I would vote for him.

goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone

DrProsek posted:

When Tony becomes president, he's going to build a wall around Earth, make the Kree pay for it, and he's going to deport Captain Marvel and all the Inhumans back to space.

We're gonna make the X-Men GREAT again!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

goldenoreos posted:

Going to sell Lockjaw steaks

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

goldenoreos posted:

Impossible.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Toxxupation posted:

Impossible.

Give it back to Morrison and you'll change your tune. :colbert:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Consider carefully if you want to call that era of X-men great when two of the three main books were written by Chuck Austen and Modern Chris Claremont.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Squizzle posted:

Consider carefully if you want to call that era of X-men great when two of the three main books were written by Chuck Austen and Modern Chris Claremont.

Part of it was also Carey's run and X-force!!

Is the Jurgen's cap run any good?

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 18, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

It's quite possibly the weakest thing Jurgens has ever done.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It's quite possibly the weakest thing Jurgens has ever done.

But how does it compare to other cap runs?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

bobkatt013 posted:

But how does it compare to other cap runs?

Not great.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I'm surprised that Jurgens has done anything notably bad. He's the Median Comics Creator in my mind: both his writing and art sit in the middle of the quality scale. He's the ling pf generic superhero comics. I'd be just as surprised if you told me he had done a blow-your-rear end-up excellent run on anything.

For reference, directly below Mid-Level Jurgens is the DeFalco Zone, and directly above him is the Marv Wolfman Zone.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Personally when a comic doesn't blow my rear end up I consider that a plus.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Squizzle posted:

I'm surprised that Jurgens has done anything notably bad. He's the Median Comics Creator in my mind: both his writing and art sit in the middle of the quality scale. He's the ling pf generic superhero comics. I'd be just as surprised if you told me he had done a blow-your-rear end-up excellent run on anything.

For reference, directly below Mid-Level Jurgens is the DeFalco Zone, and directly above him is the Marv Wolfman Zone.

Go check out Dan's Teen Titans run. It's marvelously horrible.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Go check out Dan's Teen Titans run. It's marvelously horrible.

Teen titans are a special case of awful

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

How in the gently caress did my brain decide to write Marv Wolfman when I was thinking of Mark Gruenwald, the obvious choice for above-average but still apt to leave your rear end unblown-up comics? :catdrugs:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Squizzle posted:

How in the gently caress did my brain decide to write Marv Wolfman when I was thinking of Mark Gruenwald, the obvious choice for above-average but still apt to leave your rear end unblown-up comics? :catdrugs:

Reagan as a snake and the us agent storyline are pretty great.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Yeah, but good in the "this is a fine genre story, told well" way, not in the "I could see reading this in a course not specifically about superheroes or comics" way.

Although a good friend of mine spent a bunch of semesters using the Dark Phoenix Saga, Star Trek, and kung fu movies to teach his undergrads about Foucault, so who even knows.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Squizzle posted:

For me that era ended when Morrison finished his run on New X Men. It still blows my mind how it went from such high marks in Morrison's run to Austen's run and how low it kept going. I also paid no attention to anything other than New X Men during that time.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Joe Casey was originally on Uncanny at the same time as Morrison was on NXM - I haven't read it but I've heard it's reasonably well-regarded. He didn't get on with Marvel, from what I have heard, and was replaced by Chuck Austen.

Casey was a reasonably big name in the turn of the millennium era, wasn't he? He did Superman, he did Cable, he did Wildcats, he did Godland, but I don't believe he's done much that's very high profile in comics lately. I think that retelling of the Avengers origin story he did with Scott Kolins would be the last major Big Two work he did.

Of course, I suppose he's got all that Ben 10 merchandise money.

Speaking of Jurgens, I remember reading his Thor run and being really bothered by how Jake Olson's partner was explicitly seen nicking drugs from the hospital they worked at, selling drugs on the street and having an internal monologue about how he's going to pin his drug-dealing on Jake, then it turns out he was an undecover police officer. I felt as though Jurgens just forgot how the arc started when he got around to ending it.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 18, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think I just discovered Joe Casey and Joe Kelly aren't one guy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Joe Casey was originally on Uncanny at the same time as Morrison was on NXM - I haven't read it but I've heard it's reasonably well-regarded. He didn't get on with Marvel, from what I have heard, and was replaced by Chuck Austen.

Casey was a reasonably big name in the turn of the millennium era, wasn't he? He did Superman, he did Cable, he did Wildcats, he did Godland, but I don't believe he's done much that's very high profile in comics lately. I think that retelling of the Avengers origin story he did with Scott Kolins would be the last major Big Two work he did.

Of course, I suppose he's got all that Ben 10 merchandise money.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I think I just discovered Joe Casey and Joe Kelly aren't one guy.

This. Casey is not a part of Man of Action.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Yes he is. They were both involved with Ben 10, which is confusing.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

Yes he is. They were both involved with Ben 10, which is confusing.

Huh. I could have sworn he was never a part of that. Did he get kicked/bought out or something? He and Joe Kelly were pretty hostile towards each other some years back.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Huh. I could have sworn he was never a part of that. Did he get kicked/bought out or something? He and Joe Kelly were pretty hostile towards each other some years back.

All I know is what Wikipedia tells me, and they appear to be co-creators.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

All I know is what Wikipedia tells me, and they appear to be co-creators.

Joe K seems to be the guy who gets all the acclaim for B10 and the like. I know Joe C's terrible band played a party at the Chicago con once. They opened for Loudmouth who was equally terrible.

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!
Hey - I haven't been to my LCS in a while. When I went yesterday, they were out of Vision #4 & #5. I've added it to my pull list so this won't happen again. But, I'd like to read those two issues before I read #6. Anyone have floppies they'd be willing to sell? I don't like digital, prefer to own full runs, and can't find any (or any reasonably priced, really eBay, 9 bucks for issue 4?) on-line. Or do any of you insiders know if they're being re-printed? Thanks.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Part of it was also Carey's run and X-force!!

Casey's run was concurrent with Morrison. Carey's wasn't until a couple years later.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Ferrule posted:

Hey - I haven't been to my LCS in a while. When I went yesterday, they were out of Vision #4 & #5. I've added it to my pull list so this won't happen again. But, I'd like to read those two issues before I read #6. Anyone have floppies they'd be willing to sell? I don't like digital, prefer to own full runs, and can't find any (or any reasonably priced, really eBay, 9 bucks for issue 4?) on-line. Or do any of you insiders know if they're being re-printed? Thanks.

I can check when I'm in tomorrow to see what I have in stock.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I've been waiting on Vision #5 at my LCS for a while. I finally broke down and got the digital version (still going to buy the print one when it shows up), but according to the store owner it's just been hard to get ahold of. If anyone does know when it's liable to be reprinted (or if there's a general schedule for reprints?), I'd be glad to know too!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Wheat Loaf posted:

Joe Casey is a weird case where he was being touted as The Next Big Thing, never really became the Big Thing, acted like he was the Big Thing to his detriment, but has worked frequently and consistently for like twenty years, just on projects people don't seem to pay attention to.

He got his big break as a protege of James Robinson in that weird brief period where Robinson was in the X-Office writing forgettable parts of Generation X and Cable and some other stuff. Then he took over Hulk after Peter David quit the book after a decade, wrote about six issues and then they decided to reboot it with John Byrne, one of forty different revamps between David and Pak.

He started writing Wildcats after Lobdell/Charest's revamp of it almost immediately flamed out, and was part of the "Superman 2000" revamp that they were set to do with Morrison/Waid/Millar/Peyer but then ditched them at the last minute for Loeb/Kelly/Casey/Schultz, which lasted about two years before the next round of totally revamping the Superman books. I remember Casey bragging how SUPERMAN DIDN'T EVEN THROW A PUNCH FOR MY RUN, EXCEPT FOR WHEN HE DID.

Parallel to that he got the Uncanny X-Men gig in the early days of Jemas/Quesada Marvel. He immediately turned it into a book about mutants using their powers to gently caress pop stars and be the best prostitutes possible and to make drugs and stuff because POP STARS or something, I probably didn't give it a fair shake because it was up against NXM and X-Statix and had Ian Churchill drawing half of it.

This is the period where Joe Casey was sort of in this phase of doing these long sprawling self-indulgent stories that will totally pay off in year three and four and look man i'm an artist and you're a suit so what the gently caress do you know what the audience wants and wait what's that? THE BOOK IS CANCELED? JUST GIVE ME THIRTY MORE ISSUES TO WRAP THIS UP PLEASE SALES WILL PICK UP.

His X-Men was more the "not into listening to suits" side of ending abruptly, but he did things like have the first twelve issues of Deathlok be a build up to a story about the Ringmaster being elected president and whoops i was canceled before he got to the story he "wanted to tell". Automatic Kafka was just a mess of self indulgence that ended 'prematurely' and literally wrapped up with Joe Casey hanging out in a comic shop in his sunglasses going HEH I GUESS HEADS WASN'T READY BUT YOU WOULDN'T BELIEVE HOW loving AWESOME THE NEXT TWENTY ISSUES WOULD HAVE BEEN, LATER NERDS. His Wildcats 3.0 was better but dragged things out insanely and ended after 20-odd issues but WAS JUST GETTING WARMED UP.

Joe Casey then did a weekly column on CBG where he complained about all of this stuff in between talking process with his protege Matt Fraction.

Since then he's done a bunch of mini-series at Marvel to varying levels of attention, and in addition to Godland he has a lot of other books coming out at Image that I never hear anyone talking about but apparently must be doing pretty okay? His book SEX has gone 26 issues, THE BOUNCE is up to issue 12, and he's had some other books too. Plus he did like a year and a half of GI Joe and a KISS comic book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Vision 4 was reprinted before 5, but 5 hasn't been. Maybe they're super sore about the DC thing.

• Locked thread