Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Morioh Man Keeps Deadlines Through Multiple Apocalypses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
JoJo has never stopped being a horror manga, despite dropping it's vampire trappings early on. Part 6 has the most disgusting and hosed up poo poo happening, it is the closest media has ever come to making me feel like I am losing my loving mind. A friend of mine was interested in JoJo for a while, but then I learned they are really put off by gore and oops i don't think JoJo is for you, my dude

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Florida Woman Enjoys Perks Of Being A Snail

Part 6 is really fuckin' weird. I'm so glad Jojolion is trying to be even weirder.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Bad Seafood posted:

My Jojo rankings are honestly kinda nebulous. I know I like Parts 7, 3, and 4 better than the rest (in that order), but past that point it's kinda murky and sometimes I like one part more or another part less.

I really feel this, but a little differently rearranged.

Part 7
Part 4
Parts 5 and 6 are tied
Parts 3 and 2 are mostly tied but 3 edges over because DIO's World is good poo poo, good poo poo that's some good poo poo right THERE, etc
Part 1, which might surprise people, but that isn't going to stop me from carrying the torch to appreciate it, goddammit. :colbert:

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
I tried to flip the goanimate av. with imgur's image editing stuff because I'm lazy and it got rid of the animation, here's one with the proper orientation:

Jolyne Cujoh fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 17, 2016

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
part 6 really shines where 3 dropped the ball, in that there's waaay more fights where the crew has to work together, instead of it being X protag fights X villain of the week solo. the entire Kennedy Space Centre section is a perfect example of it. the fights in 6 do get confusing and muddled sometimes but i find 90% of action manga has that issue. plus the heavy focus on body horror and fun facial deformations make me love it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Jolyne Cujoh posted:

http://i.imgur.com/Y56IuEV.gifv

I can't afford to buy them but here are 2 that are within the size limits

Ty, I'll buy it myself or harass bad seafood

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Part 6 sucks

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

wait

why was it the 1988 miami dolphins and not the 72

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Versace prefers the 88 Miami Dolphins he's quite the fanatic

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i think you'll find it is actually you that sucks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hmm... you may... hmmm... nah

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Baal posted:

Versace prefers the 88 Miami Dolphins he's quite the fanatic

they...they... didn't even make it to the playoffs

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

Baal posted:

Part 6 sucks

well i think part three is one of the waker parts in the grand scheme of things but i appreciate for what it is and how big of an influence it had on pop culture :colbert:

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
wait a minute Larry Csonka didn't play on the 88 Dolphins

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Fiend Computer posted:

well i think part three is one of the waker parts in the grand scheme of things but i appreciate for what it is and how big of an influence it had on pop culture :colbert:

3 has a better second half than 6

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It also doesn't forsake any of its good characters for the worst one

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Stairmaster posted:

wait

why was it the 1988 miami dolphins and not the 72
I have no idea if was the 1988 Miami Dolphins I just made that number up

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm surprised Stair knows about football

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Baal posted:

It also doesn't forsake any of its good characters for the worst one

i think we can all agree that annasui sucks but insulting part 6 is going too far

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like the first half of Part 6 a lot, then Annasui shows up and it goes up and down until they leave the prison and then I start to really dislike it

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if nothing else part 6 is the only one to give me fight fatigue, and since i'm a fan of having more lighthearted bits spread in there every now and again it's really tiring to read through once it gets to a certain point. which is why i'm looking forward to the part 4 anime, due to it being really laid back.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
I always have trouble deciding which part I like best, because Part 4 has the best overall cast and some pretty coll poo poo, 7 has (basically objectively) the best narrative/story and also probably the most relatable, well, relationship between Johnny and Gyro, whereas Part 6 has my favorite individual moments and characters, but doesn't have the overall quality of 4 or 7 in either plot or characters.

I like SDC less than BT or PB (probably because I watched the anime and didn't read the manga) and haven't read 5 or 8 yet. I guess then my ranking is 7≈4≈6>2>1>3. This is very important, obviously everyone was dying to know.

Jolyne, Fly High with Gucci is the best tho if we're counting side stories

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Part 6 gets loving exhausting by the end, but it adds to the Pucci Is Going To Do Some Bad poo poo, poo poo Is Getting hosed Fast

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

3 has a better second half than 6

I think I can agree with this, but I still enjoyed part 6 more than 3 overall. Then again even in its 2nd half the only fights I dislike are Bohemian Rhapsody and Made in Heaven (the C-Moon part of the Pucci fight owns), even if the former does have some fantastic lines.

With part 3 though I enjoyed it much more on a re-read and I think that's solely to parts 4 and 6 helping me like Jotaro a lot more and realise he was always pretty darn great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I would like Sky High more if there wasn't only one good part to that fight and the rest was badly drawn body horror even by normal araki standards

Versace is legit pretty great though and yeah C-Moon is good

I hate Heavy Weather it's such a loving mess and the conclusion to the fight is something out of loving bleach

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Also I hold a lot against part 6 for the deification of Dio, the stupid Heaven bullshit, and Pucci as a whole

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i'll concede that Heavy Weather is pretty terrible, the snail transformations are cool and gross but the fight itself trash and the whole arc is way too long.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

I would like Sky High more if there wasn't only one good part to that fight and the rest was badly drawn body horror even by normal araki standards

Versace is legit pretty great though and yeah C-Moon is good

I hate Heavy Weather it's such a loving mess and the conclusion to the fight is something out of loving bleach

I enjoy Heavy Weather even though it is pretty dumb, maybe I like it just because it is so ridiculous.

And I legit really like all the Heaven and Gravity stuff in Stone Ocean even though I don't like how it all ends up.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I remember really liking Heavy Weather, and yea not liking Sky High. I never enjoyed the DIO worship or whatever Pucci was trying to do at any given time, but the fight at Cape Canaveral was sick af

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Like Dio worship is one of the worst things to happen to this series because it effectively means Dio will never not be the center of the series. I know he and Jotaro are basically series mascots, but Heaven Ascension Dio is loving stupid, Over Heaven is a garbage story and part of why I hate this sort of thing. It's why I like Diego so much because after the nonsense that is Part 6's whole thing with Dio, you get a different version of Dio who is an actual character and not some loving higher power scheming rear end in a top hat. Even AW Diego feels more like Part 1/3 Dio which he basically is in terms of cunning and pure spite rear end in a top hat.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
Was Annasui even necessary for the last half of six?

They could have easily kept FF in and given his best lines to Hermes. "That poo poo ain't Disney!" sounds like something she'd say.

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

But I'll be fine.
He did the thing where he put Diver Down into people's bodies to protect them/give them a boost or whatever but that could ALSO have been done by Hermes and Kiss so it doesn't really change the opinion that FF should have stayed and Annasui should have died

And also that Jolyne should have married her kelp girlfriend and her girl girlfriend and lived happily ever after

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i like the idea of someone doing a series of weird, bullshit things to change their stand, but yeah, the ending sequence of stone ocean is kind of whatever and a lot of small things add up to make it not my favorite or in the top 2 or so

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Baal posted:

Like Dio worship is one of the worst things to happen to this series because it effectively means Dio will never not be the center of the series. I know he and Jotaro are basically series mascots, but Heaven Ascension Dio is loving stupid, Over Heaven is a garbage story and part of why I hate this sort of thing. It's why I like Diego so much because after the nonsense that is Part 6's whole thing with Dio, you get a different version of Dio who is an actual character and not some loving higher power scheming rear end in a top hat. Even AW Diego feels more like Part 1/3 Dio which he basically is in terms of cunning and pure spite rear end in a top hat.

Pucci's worship of Dio doesn't really bother me too much in retrospect because that perception of Dio just isn't a part of the series following part 6. Like if it had remained a constant thing i'd probably dislike it a lot more. And for the most part a lot of Pucci's worship and whole fixation with gravity and poo poo always came off to me as not really having that much to do with Dio at all and more something he's attached himself to because the idea of pre-destination makes him feel better about the dumb poo poo in his backstory.

And then there's the stuff with Green Baby and Pucci becoming a joestar which I don't understand at all and really dislike.

Edit:

RaspberryCommie posted:

Was Annasui even necessary for the last half of six?

They could have easily kept FF in and given his best lines to Hermes. "That poo poo ain't Disney!" sounds like something she'd say.

The only thing I think Annasui was really needed for was to provide contrast with Weather once he gets his memories back. So that throughout Bohemian Rhapsody Annasui is a crazy murderous rear end in a top hat while Weather is calm and sensible and then that gets swapped for Heavy Weather where Annasui suddenly seems like the more reasonable guy in comparison.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 17, 2016

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh no it's absolutely not just about Dio, but then it becomes about Pucci who I think is just a boring character and has about one of the most retarded backstories in manga

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

pucci isn't very interesting because the majority of him is defined by dio, who is straight up just loving dead by that point and had already been the focus of two other parts so why retread it with a person who isn't nearly as compelling

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Annasui would be a lot better if his personality were the same but he stayed a girl

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Baal posted:

Also I hold a lot against part 6 for the deification of Dio, the stupid Heaven bullshit, and Pucci as a whole

??? It's not like that's completely out of left field, considering his name, his god-complex, his image, the fact that he models himself after Egyptian Pharaohs in SDC (so, god-kings), Giorno having some pretty Jesus-y imagery to him on occasion, and it's not like the whole thing with Pucci changes that he's still a terrible person who used his charm and vampiric powers to manipulate a naive and sheltered teenager who was studying to become a priest, nor does his plan for "Heaven" change that it was ultimately to control fate to his liking, which is totally and completely in character for him.

Not liking how that's implemented (and Pucci as his own unique character) is a whole other thing and totally understandable, but Dio was being deified in the comic way back in SDC so you can't really say that it didn't come to its logical conclusion in SO. He was literally deified when Araki thought "Haha, Dio means God in Italian and is the name of a band. Perfect!"

It's Japan too, so having a character be "God" while also being a petty and spiteful rear end in a top hat really isn't that unusual. Hell, even if you just view him as the stand in for Fate, the God comparison still works because calling something a result of "fate" is basically the secular version of saying that God did it.

EDIT

Baal posted:

Alright that does make more sense, but even when you take out Over Heaven (please do because it's not great) and Heaven Ascension Dio and all of that, the parts from 4 to 6 still involved Dio as a concept anyway, a corruptive force that you couldn't escape from, and the aftereffects of his presence. Like the end results of a horrific storm or an earthquake.

Acts of God.

Fate.

He would still have that terrible connotation in the series, but I really do understand not liking the story becoming literally about it, yeah.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I like Pucci. :shobon:

But that's probably just because I do really enjoy the whole "Gravity" theme, and I enjoy how its both a metaphorical and literal thing throughout the part. And most of that comes through Pucci.