Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of our business units is going down the route of getting apprentices (interns) to do actual tasks. gently caress that noise, it's such a scummy practise.

It would be slightly different if there was some sort of development plan for these people, but if you see it as cheap labour then gently caress you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002

Sprechensiesexy posted:

The circuit of our branch office in Myanmar is more stable than the one for one of our Australian branches. It's truly a 3rd world country in some respects. Great steak though.

I did network monitoring (snmp) for awhile at a Australian Telco/MSP...the amount of hits Id see every day all over the place that restored by power was amazing.
That and surprise telstra planned work from 2-5am were the big two.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Thanks Ants posted:

It would be slightly different if there was some sort of development plan for these people, but if you see it as cheap labour then gently caress you.

Our interns actually tend to get really interesting work (with little business value). Usually, our senior devs wish they could do the intern projects.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Thanks Ants posted:

An apprentice is more of an engineering/trade thing. You make some money (minimum wage or bottom of union ladder) and you get the poo poo work, but you learn how to build houses or plumb them or wire them or something over multiple years (exact length determined by the industry and usually by certs or professional gains you can make)

An intern is an unpaid person, usually a student in a relevant field, that's doing a position for 3 to 6 months (although, I have heard of 1-year versions with some pay).

What kind of development plan can you really do in a year or less? The few places I've worked that had interns, they were musical chaired through the company so fast that I don't think they actually learned anything.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

fishmech posted:

Class 10 is the old SD card standard where class = x1 megabyte per second

UHS-I and U3 are actually part of the same ratings system. UHS-I indicates a communications protocol, while U3 indicates the speed with the number being x10 megabytes a second.

800x is referenced off of CD speeds, where 1x is 150 kilobytes per second. That's a really fast device at 800x - ~116 megabytes per second.

Edit: So basically the Class 10 is still printed because that's the speeds you can expect if you stick it into a non-SDXC reader. UHS-I U3 is the modern speed that it's guarenteed for as a minimum, and 800x is for comparison primarily against CompactFlash, and tends to represent peak read speed possible (the Class X and UX numbers indicate minimum write speed after it's been in use for a while).

Seems like they can get rid of all of that if they are going to post the max read and min write. That's all that anyone should care about these days and its not like people are clinging onto those old scales.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Shaocaholica posted:

Seems like they can get rid of all of that if they are going to post the max read and min write. That's all that anyone should care about these days and its not like people are clinging onto those old scales.

Well that's the thing, these cards usually just say the UHS-I or UHS-II and a U number these days. Been a real long time since the x read speeds were common, and the standard Class numbers are being slowly phased out. But cards targeted for certain markets are still going to use all the labels or more.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Friday's over, lets drink.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
Our place is starting to use a temp agency over direct hire. Makes it fun when I get five tickets in to set them up and then the next day before they start HR lady says never mind. Glad I wasted all that time setting them up. Then if they do get hired most of them quit after a week or two and don't return their ID badge. More money down the drain. Those cards aren't free.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Holyshoot posted:

Our place is starting to use a temp agency over direct hire. Makes it fun when I get five tickets in to set them up and then the next day before they start HR lady says never mind. Glad I wasted all that time setting them up. Then if they do get hired most of them quit after a week or two and don't return their ID badge. More money down the drain. Those cards aren't free.

Set up some generic role accounts instead. There's probably going to be some degree of staff rollover anyway if its going through a bunch of temps.

Can you bill them for the cards?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Learned a fun thing about Aruba licensing today. An AP will use a license the instant it touches the controller and will hold onto it. An access switch however will only use a license when something is plugged into it and in use. So it's possible to add a switch and the have it stop working because an AP came online later. Be nice if the person sitting on the emails with our missing licenses would actually send them us before someone tries to use these.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

I could probably fill a podcast with these stories... and they are as tragic as they are funny. It's really a shame how it all went down because I really dug the company, even though I've learned all the reasons I really liked working there didn't make it the most stable. A lot of really smart people there who were just limited on what they could do because of the way the leadership ran the company.

Which story first? Q&A with new leadership? Our first call with the director of support? Or my interview to keep my job?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Q&A with the new leadership! :munch:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
It's the poo poo that pisses you off thread, :justpost:

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Arsten posted:

An apprentice is more of an engineering/trade thing. You make some money (minimum wage or bottom of union ladder) and you get the poo poo work, but you learn how to build houses or plumb them or wire them or something over multiple years (exact length determined by the industry and usually by certs or professional gains you can make)

An intern is an unpaid person, usually a student in a relevant field, that's doing a position for 3 to 6 months (although, I have heard of 1-year versions with some pay).

What kind of development plan can you really do in a year or less? The few places I've worked that had interns, they were musical chaired through the company so fast that I don't think they actually learned anything.

Then your company sucks and I believe is breaking the law. Interns are not free labor. hey are there to learn about the industry and develop their skills in a way that the class room is not going to give them. Using them as free labor and nothing more if robbery.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Ahhh well... to start this off I should say that our executives tried to paint this in a very positive light. "This is GREAT for all of us!" the CSO said.

Things were bad and if you didn't know it then you just weren't paying attention. Lots of closed door meetings and blocked off executive calendars. Finally, the announcement came that we were being acquired and we would meet our new masters^H^H^H^H^H^H^H leaders in a company meeting. We had offices in APAC an Europe so folks were up pretty late to be able to attend an afternoon meeting.

They showed up 47 minutes late. Everybody sitting in the big conference room stirring for 47 minutes waiting to find out the news. Finally, in walks our CEO and CSO, both looking chipper and happy. Following them is a group of 5 people from the new company. A show of force you could say.

After a brief introduction by our CEO, the new CEO walks up to the podium and takes the mic and walks away from it. He's wearing blue jeans, a button down, and a sports jacket. After a brief introduction of himself and the team, he begins going into detail about this company and what they do.

They claim to be a software company, but I think they are just a financial company masquerading as one. He spoke of some of their achievements, all of which I later found was acquired technology. Something about Disney, tracking crowds, and dispatching the mascots. Something about airlines, sitting on the tarmac, and sending bottles of champagne to first class. You see a trend here? The CSO, the one who said that this was great for us, now has a mixed expression on his face.

The CEO was pacing in front of us as he took questions, many of which were about benefits, their industry experience, and other softball questions. I was seated in the far back of the room in the middle of the U shaped conference table. I'm a pretty big guy, 6'3 on a good day and 240 at the time. I was wearing ratty jeans, sneakers, and a Slayer shirt. Any time he looked straight forward, we would lock eyes and he would see the grimace on my face, then he would quickly look away. Finally, I raised my hand and when called upon said, "What is your retention rate for employees in acquired companies?". He gave a non-answer, something about retaining as many employees as possible. The response I expected.

When I asked about highly regulated industries and their experience, one of them cheerfully said "Oh we're quite aware of the importance of your industry", as he described a health monitoring appliance. He continued, "If this product has a bug... babies die!". This man, when asked about accidental unblinding in experimentation, said "Oh don't you worry, nobody here's gettin' blinded!". He also bragged how great being a 1099 is because you can put more than the yearly maximum into your 401k, which is over $18k. This is what we were dealing with.

Ultimately it became clear after some additional research into the company what their playbook entailed: 3 month contracts on 1099's. 10% of staff were kept in past acquisitions from what I found out, and those who were kept on were making less money once they calculated out of pocket expenses. Their business model was to acquire sinking software companies, brain rape, liquidate assets, retain those 10%, then dump them when they had bled them dry.

You were required to keep software on your computer that would take a screenshot every 10 minutes and a webcam picture. If you weren't at your desk, or not looking like you were working, or having a malfunction, your pay was docked and you'd have to take it up with the outsourced team that managed it. All of this I learned just by Googling them and researching their past acquisitions.

The CEO had a flight 2.5 hours after the meeting started, so he quickly was whisked away so he could return to his lair. The CSO now had a very grim look on his face, and with his head hung low he left the room. 90 days from the meeting until the acquisition was official, which was later dubbed D-Day. I put a very subtle countdown clock on our big TV that showed company statistics. The end was near.

Spazz fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Apr 16, 2016

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

jim truds posted:

Then your company sucks and I believe is breaking the law. Interns are not free labor. hey are there to learn about the industry and develop their skills in a way that the class room is not going to give them. Using them as free labor and nothing more if robbery.

This depends but for the most part you're correct. If interns are doing anything that makes money for the company, you have to pay them for the work. Unpaid internships are reserved for interns that are on non-business projects (shadowing, creating internal reports, organizing data, etc). Unfortunately because us capitalism if interns try to report their company for intern abuse they'll forfeit their good reference and will likely lose the case anyway because companies will protect themselves in court by arguing the work was more beneficial to the intern than it was to the company. The only way to get anywhere is class action with numerous interns and they won't all be willing to give up job prospects for minimum wage backpay.

MSP I worked for paid a fair wage ($12 an hour in far Chicago suburbs) to interns and one ended up staying for two years through college because it was far better treatment than he could get anywhere else.

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

jim truds posted:

I never said anything about what an intern does, just that they are attached for a very short period of time. An intern is there to learn. You cannot learn by standing in a corner and staring at what's going on. You work with the people that are in your field. The distinction I make for interns is supervision. Are you strictly supervised in what you do and your work is being reviewed close to 1:1? Intern. Are you doing things autonomously? Employee.

I do it that way because everything a company has an intern do makes the company money. Are they shadowing sales people? Making money. Running internal reports? Unless those reports are useless and make work, it's making the company money.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I do not like the ProCurve CLI. There doesn't seem to be a way to select a range of interfaces and then assign a VLAN to them, you have to assign ports to VLANs.

This might just be my reaction to something that isn't IOS but it feels less intuitive.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Spazz posted:

You were required to keep software on your computer that would take a screenshot every 10 minutes and a webcam picture. If you weren't at your desk, or not looking like you were working, or having a malfunction, your pay was docked and you'd have to take it up with the outsourced team that managed it. 

Is this even legal?

Note: I'm in the UK so maybe more dumping on your employees is fine in the US.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

America literally wouldn't be America if companies didn't poo poo on their employees at every opportunity.

And that's not a sarcastic "literally." :v:

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

xzzy posted:

America literally wouldn't be America if companies didn't poo poo on their employees at every opportunity.

And that's not a sarcastic "literally." :v:

I remember my first internship. I needed the experience and references to really kick start my career, working first line in a call center. Every week an intern would be called into the bosses office and would come out crying. Finally it was my turn, I went in, and the boss threw away a chipotle bag.

He dropped his pants, told me to lay down, and unloaded a steaming hot pile of American capitalism on me. I was grateful for the career opportunity and asked that I not be paid for an extended lunch to get cleaned up.

US is the best place to work, I thought, as I updated my LinkedIn profile and hunted indeed.com between fits of vomiting. Then I docked my own pay for not meeting ticket quotas that day.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

legooolas posted:

Is this even legal?

Yes. The current legal state is that you effectively have no expectation of privacy while working, so spyware in the name of making sure employees are doing their work is legal. This means that your employer can read your email, and intercept any communications performed on work provided machines.

Taking your picture constantly sounds super creepy so I cannot imagine anyone who has a choice putting up with it, even if it's legal.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 17, 2016

Arsten
Feb 18, 2003

Volmarias posted:

Yes. The current legal state is that you effectively have no expectation of privacy while working, so spyware in the name of making sure employees are doing their work is legal. This means that your employer can read your email, and intercept any communications performed on work provided machines.

Taking your picture constantly sounds super creepy so I cannot imagine anyone who has a choice putting up with it, even if it's legal.

What he said, except that I've heard that it's less to do with an "Expectation of Privacy" and more to do with "You are using their property" combined with "You signed an agreement that said they were going to do this."

Most people I've worked with, though, tape a piece of paper or post-it note over the webcam. I personally just delete the webcam drivers from the system (but I have admin access to my work laptop and not everyone does).

As far as "Creepy"...at your cube farm desk, I don't think so. If it's a laptop, though, and you work from home or travel, then it gets VERY creepy.

KennyTheFish
Jan 13, 2004

Volmarias posted:

It is not the monitoring that surprises non US people, it is the legality of docking pay.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I'd point the camera to a picture of me flipping the bird.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

KennyTheFish posted:

It is not the monitoring that surprises non US people, it is the legality of docking pay.

No, the webcam thing creeps me out too. Id be jobhunting instantly.

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

legooolas posted:

Is this even legal?

Yes, and to speak to what everybody else said, the company is based out of a state that is not good about employee rights. It's still at-will employment, so as long as you sign the agreement it's legal. If I ended up having to work for them I'd just get blackout curtains for my home office, a space heater, and work naked year round.

They tend to hire people globally under the guise of "We don't want to restrict our talent search to the US, we want the BEST people!", which means "We want to pay $10/hr USD to support this application, so we'll hire this guy out of Palestine who knows .NET." I couldn't make that up -- they hired .NET developers to work in support because they heard "Microsoft". This is what we were dealing with.

edit: Logs are 250GB uncompressed. I just got them. :smith:

Spazz fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 17, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

KennyTheFish posted:

Oh. I don't think that's actually legal, but with enough lawyers I'm sure it could be made to be!

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
My ISP just changed their password rules for their online accounts site, to the following: 4-character minimum; 10-character maximum; at least one numeric character

why a 10 character maximum? why are there password character caps to begin with? why one so unreasonably small? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Luna Was Here posted:

My ISP just changed their password rules for their online accounts site, to the following: 4-character minimum; 10-character maximum; at least one numeric character

why a 10 character maximum? why are there password character caps to begin with? why one so unreasonably small? AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Just think of the space we can save in the database!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The worst by far is sites that don't give you the rules straight up. Hit submit, "sorry not long enough." Make something longer "sorry, must have a number." Add a number "sorry must have a special character."

:fuckoff:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Luna Was Here posted:

I guarantee you that someone decided that users weren't going to remember passwords that were too long.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

xzzy posted:

The worst by far is sites that don't give you the rules straight up. Hit submit, "sorry not long enough." Make something longer "sorry, must have a number." Add a number "sorry must have a special character."

:fuckoff:

The worst I've experienced (although it was obviously a bug) was a site where it wouldn't tell you the requirements and also disallowed passwords where n characters were the same as in the previous password including passwords you'd only tried that had not been accepted.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Luna Was Here posted:

I've worked sites that had an exactly 8 character password requirement. That's the intersection of an 8 character maximum on (iirc) HP-UX and an 8-character minimum on Active Directory. Their corporate masters finally started decommissioning the HP-UX system last year, but your userID will be referred to as a "UnixID" for another 20 years.

Sormus
Jul 24, 2007

PREVENT SPACE-AIDS
sanitize your lovebot
between users :roboluv:

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I remember my first internship. I needed the experience and references to really kick start my career, working first line in a call center. Every week an intern would be called into the bosses office and would come out crying. Finally it was my turn, I went in, and the boss threw away a chipotle bag.

He dropped his pants, told me to lay down, and unloaded a steaming hot pile of American capitalism on me. I was grateful for the career opportunity and asked that I not be paid for an extended lunch to get cleaned up.

US is the best place to work, I thought, as I updated my LinkedIn profile and hunted indeed.com between fits of vomiting. Then I docked my own pay for not meeting ticket quotas that day.

Premise ridiculous, interns aren't paid.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I've used websites before where you choose a password - say 16 character for an example. Then when it's stored the first 8 characters are used and the rest are thrown away without any feedback to the user. But the field to enter your password when you come to log back in doesn't do the same thing, so you submit your original password and it doesn't match the shortened version that the company has on file.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
Doesn't something super popular have case-insensitive passwords? WoW maybe?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

stubblyhead posted:

Doesn't something super popular have case-insensitive passwords? WoW maybe?

Blizzard as a whole, yes.

They claim that not only did it massively decrease lost password requests, it also did not increase hacked account numbers.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

RFC2324 posted:

Blizzard as a whole, yes.

They claim that not only did it massively decrease lost password requests, it also did not increase hacked account numbers.

And, given the prevalence of their mobile authentication program, they're probably not wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sormus posted:

Premise ridiculous, interns aren't paid.

Our's are. It's usually light summer work, mostly shadowing and project busy-work (things like gathering requirements), but we do pay them and they also get class credit. We also have Friday night activities like movies or console gaming on the war room wall monitors.