Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Maxxx posted:

Anyone that could auth me on ffgoons, looks like I ned to be manually authed then.

Took care of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiirrr
Feb 14, 2006

Soiled Meat

Oneavi posted:

Took care of it.

May I be authed as well? The tool doesn't seem to work right for me. :(

On that ffgoons website.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Fister Roboto posted:

I don't disagree with this, but my point is that telling tanks that dps should just deal with it if you can't hold threat is really lovely advice. Especially when it's a matter of how good your gear is in a leveling dungeon. "Sorry guys I didn't feel like spending fake money to make sure my gear is up to snuff" is a terrible excuse.

Ok, but the point was that your gear being up to snuff is not the same as having all HQ gear in every slot. You should definitly keep your gear on par with content, but you shouldn't feel required to keep and maintain a full set of hq gear, which is what the original questioner was talking about needing.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Whiirrr posted:

May I be authed as well? The tool doesn't seem to work right for me. :(

On that ffgoons website.
I authed you.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mithross posted:

Ok, but the point was that your gear being up to snuff is not the same as having all HQ gear in every slot. You should definitly keep your gear on par with content, but you shouldn't feel required to keep and maintain a full set of hq gear, which is what the original questioner was talking about needing.

And I disagree. HQ gear is not that hard to get a hold of. If NQ gear isn't holding threat, it's obviously not up to snuff.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

EponymousMrYar posted:

Until you have shield you should be in sword oath 100% of the time. The only downsides to it are switching in and out of it (costs a GCD and mana.)

This is what I assumed, but I was worried there might have been some unmentioned downside I wasn't aware of. Thanks for your help.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
The trouble I am running into right now is I'm used to tanks marking their targets. When I do a pick up, none of them mark so it takes a moment for me to figure out which mob to attack.

Is there a faster way for me to select the tanks mob? I think in FFXI it could be done as a macro like <bt> or something to that effect

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

If it's a big enough group of mobs, generally 3+ but that may vary based on your class, you should be attacking all of them with aoe abilities. Other than that, just pay attention to which one he lobs at.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

hagie posted:

The trouble I am running into right now is I'm used to tanks marking their targets. When I do a pick up, none of them mark so it takes a moment for me to figure out which mob to attack.

Is there a faster way for me to select the tanks mob? I think in FFXI it could be done as a macro like <bt> or something to that effect

The default hotkey, if you're playing on PC, should be T to target the target of your target.

I've heard mixed things about target marking. Some people suggest it's important for every pull, while others say not to rely on it. I'm actually not in the habit of marking targets, I will admit. When I'm tanking, I usually focus my early attacks on the enemy I consider the most dangerous, usually the one with a cone or other AoE, or that inflict status effects, while I let the enemies that only autoattack wait a bit. When I'm playing DPS I tend to focus fire on whatever the tank attacked first.

mendacity
Nov 16, 2015
Hate to piggy back, but could I be auth'd as well?

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

mendacity posted:

Hate to piggy back, but could I be auth'd as well?

Done.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
My rule of thumb for marking targets is "If I'm confident in my enmity generation to not care about who the DPS are attacking and whatever the enemies do" I don't mark targets. Else I mark priority targets (the ones that do lots of tank/AoE damage) and focus on that.
If it turns out I'm having problems keeping threat, I'll start marking a focus target, but that's generally if a DPS is being dumb and going all ham all the time.

If they keep being dumb after that they clearly want to tank more than I do so I let them.

Eight-Six
Oct 26, 2007

I only mark targets with a 1 if, after a pull or two, it becomes obvious that the DPS aren't focus firing and we aren't AoEing for whatever reason. This typically gives them the hint.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

hagie posted:

Blast everything with an AoE skill, just once, so you can populate your aggro list. Then start killing whatever's HP starts going down the quickest.

Eventually, you're going to get to the point where you can just blast things with AoE constantly, but this helps tanks who aren't quite there yet.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Apr 17, 2016

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

When's the next story patch after gears of change?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

SperginMcBadposter posted:

When's the next story patch after gears of change?

big patches come out roughly every 3 months, so probably mid-may, give or take a week

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Blast everything with an AoE skill, just once, so you can populate your aggro list. Then start killing whatever's HP starts going down the quickest.

Eventually, you're going to get to the point where you can just blast things with AoE constantly, but this helps tanks who aren't quite there yet.

This is a good option. If you need to wait for the tank to gather them up first before doing that, or if you have some other rotational reason not to just AoE right off the bat, then single-target whatever the tank attacked on the way in, while you wait. (If the tank didn't attack something on the way in for whatever reason - sometimes justified, usually not - and instead just went straight to AoE threat, then just pick a random thing that you think might be more annoying than the rest and single-target it instead.)

Besides the "whatever's HP starts going down the quickest" is the "whatever your threat is still green on". Usually more an issue if you get a tank with shaky threat. Rather than doing less damage period, simply shift your damage to some other mob that you're not quite as close to pulling threat on. Or take a few GCDs to fling around DoTs on everything if you need to kill time for tank threat but still want to be productive.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Usually the first target is typically the closest one (so the first thing you target with tab). Unless there are priority targets, like bees or Drakespurs.

Jithendra
May 23, 2009
Can I be authed on ffgoons too? :shobon:

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
To add to the prima donna tanks, I got one in copperbell NM on LDR today. MRD has an NQ level 10 weapon with a mismatch of caster and tank gear and doesn't have tomahawk. I made a point that he's never going to hold threat to anyone, and he says "who cares, this dungeon doesn't need a tank."

I mean, yeah copperbell is easy but god drat I hate that attitude.

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

SwissArmyDruid posted:

As 52Smn my "effective" AoE list is extremely short

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

seiferguy posted:

To add to the prima donna tanks, I got one in copperbell NM on LDR today. MRD has an NQ level 10 weapon with a mismatch of caster and tank gear and doesn't have tomahawk. I made a point that he's never going to hold threat to anyone, and he says "who cares, this dungeon doesn't need a tank."

I mean, yeah copperbell is easy but god drat I hate that attitude.

The correct response to that is "You're right" and then votekick.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

hagie posted:

Dot something, Bane, Painflare.

You are now #1 on AoE dps.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Kwyndig posted:

The correct response to that is "You're right" and then votekick.

gently caress yeah that'd be so epic

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

hagie posted:

Bullshit. Dot everything and Bane, Shadow Flare, or even Miasma II.

At least one of those options is available to you as early as 30.

Even below that, you have Physick. Toss that at the tank, see what happens to your aggro list.

I seem to have misunderstood. Dot everything BY WHICH I OBVIOUSLY MEAN USE BANE, Shadow Flare, Painflare, congratulations you are now pushing aggro on everything.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Apr 17, 2016

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Bane spreads your dots to everything within 8 yards of the mob, why would you dot everything else?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also PLD players stop spamming flash. Hit it once when you first grab a pack and then start spreading around your enmity combo.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also PLD players stop spamming flash. Hit it once when you first grab a pack and then start spreading around your enmity combo.

Pre-Shield Oath you need more than one flash, since they changed tank damage scaling and made keeping hate a bitch at low levels.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

pld should be leveled solely by guildleves so the pain can be isolated

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I just did the 20-50 run on Paladin, it's not that bad. There is exactly one dungeon that sucks, and it's Haukke normal. You will not hold aggro properly in Haukke normal as a GLA. You just loving won't. But nothing else will be a problem, and I didn't buy HQ anything. What I did do was a few solo runs of Brayflox's Longstop on my level 60 (took about 6mins to clear it as a 60 nin) to grab the Cavalry set which is baller as heck and will take you all the way to your class-set with no issues. Got the full Infantry set and Battlemage set while I was at it, they're all great for Glamour even if you don't need them anymore.

(The reason Haukke's a mess is because they put the level range as 27-31 or some poo poo so you get people with only class in the same group as people with full jobs.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Eh, it's good if you're pulling more than one pack. In a solo pack though I'd Flash maybe twice at most.

What was the threat generation for Flash vs. Clemency, again? Just wondering if the latter's more productive and what's the threshold for the number of mobs before Flash pulls ahead for AoE threat.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
I'm leveling my first character a MAR. I'm very forward in my inexperience. So when people in sick gear sync down to me and rip aggro from me in my quest gear, there's really not much I can do. Overpower only helps so much. I'm not going to whine to our company every few levels for gear, even more so with my play schedule. Not everyone plays from the super developed character perspective.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Moochewmoo posted:

I'm not going to whine to our company every few levels for gear, even more so with my play schedule.

You should. It's basically zero effort to craft a full set of low level gear for someone with max level crafting classes.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Jithendra posted:

Can I be authed on ffgoons too? :shobon:
Authed.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Dinking around with trying new jobs because of gear being role-specific instead of job-specific. Can I just say what an elegantly designed skill Sheltron is? It enforces an absolute minimum block rate on even the worst tower shield, allows you to control that block for a given attack, and ensures that you'll have a Shield Swipe at least every 30 seconds, and restores MP.

Seriously, this skill should have been in the game from day one, instead of like... I dunno. Awareness.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Flash is a tool like any other in the threat generation toolset. I don't see why it's considered a problem to use it. Obviously, you want to rotate your threat combo as well, but if a pack gets large, throwing in an extra flash here and there is harmless, especially to keep the blind debuff up. I typically run in, shield lob the priority target, or whatever's closest if there's nothing particularly annoying to deal with, and flash the group as I try to position everything, then flash a second time, just in case the DPS decide to start attacking whatever they feel like, then I start spreading the combo around. Usually by the second fast blade the first mob is pretty close to being dead so I don't need to flash again, but if I've got a pull of more than three, I may mix another one up in it.

The way I see it, so long as threat is maintained on all targets, the job is done. Does that make me an honest tank? :ohdear:

mistaya posted:

I just did the 20-50 run on Paladin, it's not that bad. There is exactly one dungeon that sucks, and it's Haukke normal. You will not hold aggro properly in Haukke normal as a GLA. You just loving won't. But nothing else will be a problem, and I didn't buy HQ anything. What I did do was a few solo runs of Brayflox's Longstop on my level 60 (took about 6mins to clear it as a 60 nin) to grab the Cavalry set which is baller as heck and will take you all the way to your class-set with no issues. Got the full Infantry set and Battlemage set while I was at it, they're all great for Glamour even if you don't need them anymore.

(The reason Haukke's a mess is because they put the level range as 27-31 or some poo poo so you get people with only class in the same group as people with full jobs.)

The only real trouble I had with Haukke while leveling was if I let a patrolling maidservant drop that lovely terror debuff.

Also, I love everything that drops in Brayflox. The level 30 gear sets look incredible on everyone. Brayflox is also one of my favourite dungeons in the game, period. The first time I did it for the story, I was leveling Dragoon, and at the end it was like I've been waiting my entire life for this moment! So much fun, and such good loot.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The only problem with Brayflox is if the tank doesn't know how to move the last boss, but otherwise agreed that the gear is really solid looking there.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Leo, I'm not saying don't use flash ever. I've said before a bunch of times that with big aoe packs it's usually enough to flash to just keep the blind buff up (3 times total) while distributing your enmity combo.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
Tanks in leveling dungeons are just there for the boss fights anyway, 3 dps 1 healer is the best

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

killstealing posted:

Tanks in leveling dungeons are just there for the boss fights anyway, 3 dps 1 healer is the best

You can clear expert roulette this way as well as some friends and I accidentally found out one night right after 3.2.

• Locked thread