Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Also, god drat. Why bother making giant bosses if the camera just eats poo poo every single time? Why have they not made a decent camera after FIVE of these games? Like, whatever. Most action games don't really require a "great" third person camera since there's other features in place to help keep you facing the direction you want. But god drat. Will this ever not be a thing in a Fromsoft game? Do they need to remake King's Field to get something that works?

/mad about video games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Einwand posted:

Is there actually any decent way to punish people for doing nothing but run in circles? It's kind of tedious to try and kill someone when they just run in circles summoning phantoms for half an hour.

No

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

goldjas posted:

Beat the game, I thought the final boss was neat. Ending was...a Dark Souls ending I guess.

I don't know if it was literally [spoiler]the same choice as DS1, I just lit the fire and didn't try to leave. anyway my guy just had this look of "this is fine, i'm fine with events as they are transpiring" as he caught on fire and sat down, fine with it. [spoiler]

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
so, I'm uncertain on how to gain access to dragon peak, could someone clarify? Namely, I know you need a gesture, but where do I get it?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Soul Glo posted:

Thanks for this. I got a pale tongue from somewhere in Undead Settlement, so it looks like I'll be swinging into DEX.

Also glad that removing infusions won't gently caress up upgrades. I could've seen that easily going the other way.

Make sure you talk to the dude leaning against one of the thrones in Firelink first, if you have a tongue he gives you a very useful key.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Work Friend Keven posted:

Love all the call backs in this game, not only to the other dark souls games, demons souls, blood bourne, etc., but also to the spin doctors.

I am 99% sure this one area is straight up demonsouls first 30 seconds of world 1-1. User message on the ground "here again?"

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Make sure you talk to the dude leaning against one of the thrones in Firelink first, if you have a tongue he gives you a very useful key.

Okay that dumb key, and all the keys in the area it refers to, frustrate the poo poo out of me. I found like four goddamn jail keys and no door ever opened. What is the oldest cell in the place? No locked doors give a poo poo. What is the key to the window or whatever? I don't see any windows? I get a key I run around and nope nope the locked doors I know exist and care about are still locked (eventually got gaoler's key). Every other key is ????

Krinkle fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 17, 2016

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

It's very annoying. I just invaded a guy and killed literally 3 phantoms in a row because he just kept hiding behind them and running back while I killed them to summon more. Eventually you just run out of estus and make mistakes and welp.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Am I better off using Uchi unmodified and going 40/40 or throwing sharp or something on it and only putting 40 into Dex?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Can anyone help me with the final Lord?

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'm going to be honest; I've invaded like 50 people so far and I have yet to see a serious sorcery build or a faith build. I had a guy chuck some lightning at me and saw a dude heal after I died but yeah, PVP is not really friendly to magic use, at least until late game. I've considered putting some points in sorcery just to smack people who try to run off and heal but the casting time for most poo poo is too long and it allows dudes to get distance easily with just a bit of rolling.

What you should do is find a low requirement but solid weapon like some longsword, turn it raw, and just keep Dex/Str as low as humanly possible, imo. People say there really are not many faith/int scaling weapons around; I have not seen any.

I've only seen *one* pyromancy build, and that was a guy I summoned for Abyss Watchers. I don't even know wtf spells he was using, because I've never seen them before at all. But this was literally the only spell use at all I've seen. I haven't even seen people buffing weapons.

But, when every PVP battle is 3v1, why bother putting effort into it?

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress mimics. Thought I was immune to loving mimics after playing all previous souls games. Saw a chest with a bunch of bloodstains, smirked and was like got this. Then that fucker stood up and judo kicked me before chomping my head off. gently caress mimics.

Myrdraayl
Apr 13, 2011
There's some weird scaling going on where at +9 most items gain damage as refined with 40/40 str/dex but at +10 you lose damage as refined. I'm mostly noticing this with D/C or C/D scaling weapons if anyone else can chime in that would be nice.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
Holy poo poo, if you kill Leonhard in Firelink, you can wear his hat and be a sexy guest from the Eyes Wide Shut orgy. GOTY 4EVRRRR

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Krinkle posted:

I am 99% sure this one area is straight up demonsouls first 30 seconds of world 1-1. User message on the ground "here again?"

Okay that dumb key, and all the keys in the area it refers to, frustrate the poo poo out of me. I found like four goddamn jail keys and no door ever opened. What is the oldest cell in the place? No locked doors give a poo poo. What is the key to the window or whatever? I don't see any windows? I get a key I run around and nope nope the locked doors I know exist and care about are still locked (eventually got gaoler's key). Every other key is ????

The key you get from firelink unlocks a door in the High Wall of Lothric (under the Tower on the Wall bonfire). For the window I think you just head right from the very beginning of the big jail area, there are some boxes in the way.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I'm struggling to take the belt back from the champ. On attempt 4, his combos keep loving me up. I mean, when he doesn't just stun me with his lance charge and instakill me.

But last time? Well I lost to the most bizarre reason. When he was down to 1/4 health, the most baffling thing happened; another player appeared. Like, a fully formed one and not one of the ghosts. He floated through the sky and flailed in front of me and I was so distracted by this I let myself get skewered instead of healing. What the hell :psyduck:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Woah auto hud is pretty awesome. Can't believe I didn't notice that till now

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Tiler Kiwi posted:

I'm going to be honest; I've invaded like 50 people so far and I have yet to see a serious sorcery build or a faith build. I had a guy chuck some lightning at me and saw a dude heal after I died but yeah, PVP is not really friendly to magic use, at least until late game. I've considered putting some points in sorcery just to smack people who try to run off and heal but the casting time for most poo poo is too long and it allows dudes to get distance easily with just a bit of rolling.

What you should do is find a low requirement but solid weapon like some longsword, turn it raw, and just keep Dex/Str as low as humanly possible, imo. People say there really are not many faith/int scaling weapons around; I have not seen any.

I'm working pretty hard to figure out how I can make a 60/30 (in either direction) build work, in all honesty the answer seems to be exactly what it was in DS1 and DS2 which was just "dark magic", as regular sorceries/miracles are both too slow and too expensive to be of any value in PVP, while stuff like Affinity/Great Deep Soul/Dorhy's Gnawing are tremendous at keeping people from just running up to mash R1 at you.

Chaos Fireball/Chaos Vestiges/Profaned Flame are all really solid general use in PVP though (the fireballs you'll have to get good at freethrowing, but that's not difficult)

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Obligatum VII posted:

so, I'm uncertain on how to gain access to dragon peak, could someone clarify? Namely, I know you need a gesture, but where do I get it?

You have to kill Onceiros in Lothric Castle.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
Just made it to the Abyss watchers. I made it half way through the second phase a couple times, and then proceeded to get owned like 4 straight times in phase one. I think it's time to put this down for the night and give it another shot tomorrow.

Anyone got any hot tips? I have a good sense on how to do the first phase, but the second one is giving me trouble.

I'm level 39, fwiw

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I know I just asked, but again, if anyone on pc could help me with the final Lord I'd be very appreciative.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Not only can Watchers be parried, but they can also be backstabbed.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Krinkle posted:

The key you got from leaning dude is for Lothric Wall, underneath the second bonfire.

The window key is start at the irithyll dungeon bonfire, run straight until you get to the lantern lady, turn right, go all the way straight until you hit... a window.

The oldest cell key find the giant. There's rusty metal door next to his head. There you go.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

So uhh does the Hollowslayer Greatsword work against players that have hollowed too?

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Myrdraayl posted:

There's some weird scaling going on where at +9 most items gain damage as refined with 40/40 str/dex but at +10 you lose damage as refined. I'm mostly noticing this with D/C or C/D scaling weapons if anyone else can chime in that would be nice.

I've seen this at lower levels too, and it's brought all of my exploratory upgrading to a screeching halt. I am assuming this will be addressed in Monday's update.

I spent some time watching gankers on Twitch today, every once in a while they'd run into someone doing 100+ more damage than previously thought possible for a given level range/equipment type. Everyone seems to have accepted that scaling is completely broken right now.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Babe Magnet posted:

as a Mound Maker, gently caress ya'll fun police

mound makers are a-okay in my book because for some reason those guys and rosaria's fingers or whatever guys (i think?) get friendly-fired by enemies on the stage meaning that them running away to try and take advantage of the enemies turns against them real fast

i wish that happened to all invaders, especially aldritch faithfuls but a seed of giant tree for those guys is good enough as a substitute

either way The Guilty Price The Price.

except they don't because it doesn't say that anymore when you kill criminal scum

edit:
also the astora straight sword despite having a good rear end moveset (it's the solaire sword moveset/old longsword moveset) is once again a trap because the scaling on it never changes from D rank regardless of how much you upgrade it. i guess maybe it could be good with raw infusion if you're someone who's dumping stats into faith but not str/dex for some insane reason

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 17, 2016

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

ughh PvP sucks 95% of the time because it's always 3v1 or 4v1. if someone runs away you can't do anything to stop them and the host can just keep summoning phantoms while running away. it doesn't really matter how good you are because there are zero counters to running away or being stun locked by 4 people.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I must reiterate this One Weird Swamp tip: spam the Dagger's Quickstep. You never seem to fully run out on magic to stop doing it, so you can shuffle your way through it. Also, for other idiots: they want three specific fires snuffed, not the small fires dotted all around. Don't try to attack them. Fires hurt.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Boy, I sure as hell didn't know what a gank squad is until I saw a host with three phantoms, and had used a giant seed

two invasion slots in this case, so..a two on four battle of estus chugging jerkoffs. I'm gonna branch into a pyromancy build so that I can AoE these assholes..hopefully pyromancies are the AoE path

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

ughh PvP sucks 95% of the time because it's always 3v1 or 4v1. if someone runs away you can't do anything to stop them and the host can just keep summoning phantoms while running away. it doesn't really matter how good you are because there are zero counters to running away or being stun locked by 4 people.

yeah at low levels it wasnt bothering me because i could kill them but now it appears that they will literally run and wait for you to crystal or die before advancing. 4 people hiding in a bonfire room lol

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Ugh I can basically flawless the fist part of the Champ fight but his second phase I always go from full health to dead by his ridiculous combos. Stop kicking me you rear end in a top hat! :argh:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So how are sharp weapons supposed to be good? My character is Dex but making something sharp just seems to make it worse. Is there something I'm missing that makes this infusion any good?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

GreyPowerVan posted:

yeah at low levels it wasnt bothering me because i could kill them but now it appears that they will literally run and wait for you to crystal or die before advancing. 4 people hiding in a bonfire room lol

low level pvp is getting pretty terrible too, at launch it was fine but today i did 33 invasions and 26 of them were gank squads with end game gear and spells and scaling doesn't really nerf them at all.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Like, I didn't want to make any sweeping judgements early on, but the combat in this game translates pretty horribly into PvP. Everyone is super mobile and healing is super quick. Actually finishing someone off is stupidly hard, so the only reliable way to win a fight is stunlocking someone so they never get a chance to fight back.

Its a major disappointment for me.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NESguerilla posted:

So how are sharp weapons supposed to be good? My character is Dex but making something sharp just seems to make it worse. Is there something I'm missing that makes this infusion any good?

Doesn't it boost the scaling? I made my Uchi sharp early on.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Like, I didn't want to make any sweeping judgements early on, but the combat in this game translates pretty horribly into PvP. Everyone is super mobile and healing is super quick. Actually finishing someone off is stupidly hard, so the only reliable way to win a fight is stunlocking someone so they never get a chance to fight back.

its not that big of a deal in actual 1v1 or 2v2 fights, undead talismans actually work and arent hard to land

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

NESguerilla posted:

It drops the base damage but increases scaling. The damage number for a weapon is listed in the menu as X = Y, where X is base damage and Y is added damage from scaling. When I made my +4 Uchi sharp, it was a net gain of like 9 at 18 Dex. That net gain will continue to rise as I level up my Dex.

GreyPowerVan posted:

its not that big of a deal in actual 1v1 or 2v2 fights, undead talismans actually work and arent hard to land

I love hit fools when a combo when the try to drink estus. If you get them in time, it knocks them out of their animation.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Doesn't it boost the scaling? I made my Uchi sharp early on.

The item description says it does but the stats don't seem to back that up. I'm really confused by it tbh. Adding it to any weapon seems to do nothing but bump the damage down a few points

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Well I think I'm going to save THIS particular dance for tomorrow.

Godspeed, whoever it was I helped clear this fight.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

GreyPowerVan posted:

I can count the number of times I've gotten a 1v1 today on one hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Internet Kraken posted:

yeah, estus is basically impossible to punish and even if you do use an undead hunter charm they can just run away forever until it wears off/you run out