Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Which one is the one that you can't ever see?

edit: I get being careful with something due to ti being fragile, but usually concessions can be made to get scholars access. At the very least the archive can photograph it to preserve a record of it.

Oh wait, no they won't, because most archives are loving idiotic about letting their poo poo get digitized even if is falling apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Cyrano4747 posted:

Oh wait, no they won't, because most archives are loving idiotic about letting their poo poo get digitized even if is falling apart.

Really? Is this a "nobody wants to spend money on archives" thing, or a "we just don't understand technology" thing? Or a bit of both?

Question: when the ACW was going on, were the European nations watching how combat played out closely? Maybe I'm crossing the streams here, but it seems there were a bunch of things that you could have predicted about World War One watching it.

PS> I wanna have a friend like William Tecumseh Sherman

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's the private collection one that I can't access.

The archives that hold the other ones are small and don't want to digitise in case that cuts into the number of people coming to visit. Visitors mean funding, hits on a website mean having to explain to the people that hold the collection why that's equivalent to visitors which is surprisingly difficult

lenoon fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 16, 2016

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Really? Is this a "nobody wants to spend money on archives" thing, or a "we just don't understand technology" thing? Or a bit of both?

Question: when the ACW was going on, were the European nations watching how combat played out closely? Maybe I'm crossing the streams here, but it seems there were a bunch of things that you could have predicted about World War One watching it.

Well, they would have looked at Grant and decided that clearly, if you find yourself facing trench warfare, the bloody-minded will to throw men at the problem was going to eventually lead to victory.

But yeah, I'm very sure most major powers had military observers. The issue is that at the same time in Europe, Prussia create Germany through a series of quick, victorious wars (1864, 1866, 1870/71). How does the experience of two newly created armies (by and large) led by a handful of experienced officers compare to that?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ArchangeI posted:

Well, they would have looked at Grant and decided that clearly, if you find yourself facing trench warfare, the bloody-minded will to throw men at the problem was going to eventually lead to victory.

When you put it like that, I'm sure that's exactly what they thought.

I was thinking "against a prepared, trained enemy frontal attacks result in huge casualties and no advantage, and this was with muskets and cannon. Get cartridge rifles and machine guns into the mix, and these factors become worse."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

You would think they would digitise even if they don't make the scans actually accessible on the net or anything in that a collection of documents that rots entirely into oblivion isn't any good to anyone in any case.

razak
Apr 13, 2016

Ready for graphing

Nebakenezzer posted:

An interesting read short read on the European observers and the things they learned from the ACW is:

"The Military Legacy of the Civil War: The European Inheritance" By Jay Luvaas

It spends some time covering exactly what they learned and what they failed to learn, and the consequences of that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Cyrano4747 posted:

Hey. Sometimes it's due to something else. For instance, it turns out that nobody actually knows how many 30yw muster rolls are in the Saxon State Archives. See, there are serieses of documents, there in the archive, and then there's the finding aid, which mentions the series and lists samples from the series (but not all of them) without listing the number of documents in the series. That list was made some time in the 50s or 60s, so whoever made it (he or she probably knew how many 30yw muster rolls there were) is probably dead now.

So what I started doing at the end of last year and will be doing when I get back to Germany is request the documents that are publicly listed, say "Location 123 Series 456 / Document 1" through "Location 123 Series 456 / Document 20" and then once I scan those I keep requesting "21, 22, 23," etc, until they tell me they went back there and found nothing and then I know that's the end.

Having to explain this in a fellowship proposal was a little embarrassing.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago, Plus Wriggle Room

It's the 12th of April. As the South African Horse rides on and on into the Tanzanian interior, the Indian railway engineers have just finished laying a narrow-gauge railway line to connect the Uganda and Northern Railways, in a time that almost defies belief. And there's no rest for the wicked, either; after the shortest of rests they'll be whisked away on a long trip to Arusha, to build a branch line forward towards Kondoa. While that's going on, E.S. Thompson leaves hospital, and a throwaway comment gives us the key to why quite so many South Africans are falling ill. (Spoilers: It's because they're bloody idiots.)

Elsewhere: At Verdun, German infantry assaults are temporarily suspended; a seaplane carrier with a giant beaky nose and a fat arse joins the Grand Fleet, and very welcome it is too; Sir Roger Casement is preparing to return to Ireland, but he's already been rumbled by Room 40; the last-gasp effort to relieve Kut splodges and squidges through conditions that in any other context would be considered impassable; and Edward Mousley has the narrowest of narrow escapes from death or permanent disablement, courtesy of an artillery shell and a flying brick.

SlothfulCobra posted:

What do deserters go off and do after desertion? Do they try to blend into a small hamlet and hope nobody questions the englishman in their midst? Do they try to live on their own out in the wilderness? Do they just sneak over the battle lines to plop themselves into a POW camp?

In addition to the ones who left while on leave and melted back into Civvy Street; some cross No Man's Land, and they're inevitably a useful source of information to the enemy before a major battle. (Of course, sometimes people come across claiming there's about to be a big push and eventually turn out to be full of poo poo, so it's not always easy for Intelligence to use them properly.) Quite a few Germans preferred to head into the rear and then cross into Denmark, the Netherlands, or Switzerland. There were a surprising number who found, ahem, sympathetic French villagers and then lived there, posing as medically unfit Frenchmen. When you're having trouble bringing in the harvest with only women, boys, and grandfathers, you don't look a gift horse in the mouth when Private Thompson (or, indeed, Gunner Schroeder) offers to stay, as long as you hide him when anyone who might recognise him is around. Just about the only thing that almost never worked was trying to do a home run from France to Britain, because of the ease of keeping track of who was boarding ships.

My favourites, though, are the circular enlisters, of which there were quite a few between 1914 and 1917. These were men who volunteered, went through training, then deserted either before or after going up the line, lived off their saved-up pay for a while; and then they took themselves off to a completely different recruiting-office, volunteered again with a different name, rinse and repeat...

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

lenoon posted:

It's the private collection one that I can't access.

The archives that hold the other ones are small and don't want to digitise in case that cuts into the number of people coming to visit. Visitors mean funding, hits on a website mean having to explain to the people that hold the collection why that's equivalent to visitors which is surprisingly difficult

I know they won't do this, but what about digitising so that, if something happens, they have a backup. They don't have to put it online.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Trin Tragula posted:

My favourites, though, are the circular enlisters, of which there were quite a few between 1914 and 1917. These were men who volunteered, went through training, then deserted either before or after going up the line, lived off their saved-up pay for a while; and then they took themselves off to a completely different recruiting-office, volunteered again with a different name, rinse and repeat...

Wasn't this a pretty common problem all throughout the Enlightenment or possibly earlier? I remember reading about this happening as late as the Civil War, and I'd bet a pike that HEY GAL's guys had to deal with it too.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Wasn't this a pretty common problem all throughout the Enlightenment or possibly earlier? I remember reading about this happening as late as the Civil War, and I'd bet a pike that HEY GAL's guys had to deal with it too.
as long as you pay people for enlisting, you will have someone trying to game the system. and it's a lot easier to do before photo ID and detailed government records (and some sort of automation that will go through those records for you), which is why if you catch a roleur or billiardeur (bounty jumper) in my period you brand them on the face. It hurts, but it also identifies them.

edit: According to Gregory Hanlon, some Italian muster rolls briefly described the physical appearance of soldiers, probably for exactly this reason, but all the records I've seen just have full name and place of origin. That's probably to track deserters or missing persons, here's a guy who went missing and you can see that they asked around his hometown to see if anyone'd seen him:

Jobst Steinnetze from Hermans-Acker, wanted to go home but he did not get there, whether he fell into the enemy's hands or was killed by peasants, nobody knows

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Apr 16, 2016

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Nebakenezzer posted:

I wrote an effort post on this a while ago...effort

any way, short version is they all watched with a lot of interest, particularly the Brits and Prussians. the interesting aspect of their observation to me is how....arrogant? they were about it. they took a pretty hardline view of the populist side of the war and that was obviously pretty troubling to British and Prussian officers who were mostly aristocrats. to them, it looked like two mobs of peasants having at one another....which was fair, if not a little shortsighted. they assumed that when competent gentlemanly officers led professional soldiers that things would go much more smoothly. and they did for a time- the 1866 and 1870 wars were quick and decisive, and that kind of reinforced their initial observations.

politically they were very concerned about the effects of a conscript army on the relative security of the aristocracy, rightly so as it turned out.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

razak posted:

An interesting read short read on the European observers and the things they learned from the ACW is:

"The Military Legacy of the Civil War: The European Inheritance" By Jay Luvaas

It spends some time covering exactly what they learned and what they failed to learn, and the consequences of that.

Lets just do a quick overview from the end of the ACW to the start of the Franco-Prussian war (ie. 1865-1870)

France under Napoleon III is a quagmire of varying degrees of incompetence (starting at half and moving up to total). They appreciate that infantry masses with modern rifles can stop any frontal assault. What they don't appreciate is that tightly packed masses of men are horrifically vulnerable to modern artillery. They buy rifles but don't buy cannon.

Prussia is completely absorbed in the task of integrating and modernising the other German states it's just absorbed into the new North German Federation. They appreciate a lot, but there's only so much they can get done and it consists of trying to train infantry with now-outdated rifles how to use modernised battlefield tactics and buying the newest and best cannon.

Great Britain gets one look at Monitor and the result is like a thunderclap on the establishment. They've been casually drawing up designs and first prototypes for steam powered iron-armoured battleships and the practical demonstration of the ACW makes it really clear to everyone that the entire Royal Navy is now obsolete. For a nation that's hitting the peak of imperial power and riding high on the Trafalgar myth this is a pretty big deal. Britain starts frantically building warships that are bigger and better than what anyone else has building and keeps that up till the end of WW1.

But the Franco-Prussian war is so big and so relevant that it pretty much sets the thinking on the continent from then to WW1.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
minor quibble: it was really the French ship gloire that put the royal navy in a tizzy, not so much the American ironclads. warrior was commissioned before the ACW and would have easily handled any ship in either fleet by herself for the balance of the war.

monitors turret was pretty directly responsible for modern battleship turrets via HMS devastation though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

bewbies posted:

I wrote an effort post on this a while ago...effort

I'm looking through your posts and now I wanna discuss the B-36 with you :mad:

e: also maybe talk about the Gin Craze

Nebakenezzer fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 17, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

bewbies posted:

monitors turret was pretty directly responsible for modern battleship turrets via HMS devastation though.

Not really. Britain had their own turret, designed by a naval officer named Cowper Coles independently of Ericsson and the Monitor.

Coles had enough popular and political support to design his own battleship because the Admiralty's design wasn't what he wanted. It didn't end well.

BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
One place the ACW did have an influence was engineers/sappers. A British observer with the Union basically copied the US field manual.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

Hey. Sometimes it's due to something else. For instance, it turns out that nobody actually knows how many 30yw muster rolls are in the Saxon State Archives. See, there are serieses of documents, there in the archive, and then there's the finding aid, which mentions the series and lists samples from the series (but not all of them) without listing the number of documents in the series. That list was made some time in the 50s or 60s, so whoever made it (he or she probably knew how many 30yw muster rolls there were) is probably dead now.

So what I started doing at the end of last year and will be doing when I get back to Germany is request the documents that are publicly listed, say "Location 123 Series 456 / Document 1" through "Location 123 Series 456 / Document 20" and then once I scan those I keep requesting "21, 22, 23," etc, until they tell me they went back there and found nothing and then I know that's the end.

Having to explain this in a fellowship proposal was a little embarrassing.

Yeah bad/nonexistant finding guides happen. I'm talking about the places that won't digitize the stuff they know they have despite it falling apart.

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
This happens even today. A remarkable number of pre-1960 or so New Zealand Government papers' last known location is "in Archives, somewhere", or even more unhelpfully, "dispersed for safekeeping, 1939". The Treaty of Waitangi spent many years as a doorstop in a provincial courthouse because it had been sent there for security during the war, and the people who knew where it had gone either died or retired after that. There's a couple of PhDs in law every year from researchers digging out old colonial legislation that had literally gotten lost along the line.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

As World War II was unfolding, the UK government moved a lot of important papers/symbolically important things to country houses. The Duke of Rutland was able to convince the government that he could properly take care of things at his castle, which was useful as he began redacting his name in some of them to cover up his Great War service record.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

RC and Moon Pie posted:

As World War II was unfolding, the UK government moved a lot of important papers/symbolically important things to country houses. The Duke of Rutland was able to convince the government that he could properly take care of things at his castle, which was useful as he began redacting his name in some of them to cover up his Great War service record.
...what had he done?

and I think all the documents I read spent the war in a huge mountain fortress and nothing happened to them except one or two got lost in the move. I've been to that fortress--it's super sick, and i'm pretty sure there's no ghosts in the well (500 feet deep!)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Apr 17, 2016

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Thanks to the Nazi and the Allied bombing of Belgrade in WW2, a lot of the most important documents of our history have gone to flames. :(

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

HEY GAL posted:

...what had he done?

and I think all the documents I read spent the war in a huge mountain fortress and nothing happened to them except one or two got lost in the move. I've been to that fortress--it's super sick, and i'm pretty sure there's no ghosts in the well (500 feet deep!)

If Catherine Bailey's The Secret Rooms is accurate, it was to cover up that his mother had him pulled from the front lines, which he resisted at first. Then he embraced it and stayed out of harm's way. You gotta continue the family name and he was his father's only surviving heir.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

This happens even today. A remarkable number of pre-1960 or so New Zealand Government papers' last known location is "in Archives, somewhere", or even more unhelpfully, "dispersed for safekeeping, 1939". The Treaty of Waitangi spent many years as a doorstop in a provincial courthouse because it had been sent there for security during the war, and the people who knew where it had gone either died or retired after that. There's a couple of PhDs in law every year from researchers digging out old colonial legislation that had literally gotten lost along the line.

Were they worried about the Luftwaffe :psyduck: or were these records in the UK?

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007

my dad posted:

Thanks to the Nazi and the Allied bombing of Belgrade in WW2, a lot of the most important documents of our history have gone to flames. :(

This also happened in Ireland due to rebellion and civil war

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

feedmegin posted:

Were they worried about the Luftwaffe :psyduck: or were these records in the UK?

Probably more worried about Japan (for a while people were really concerned that the Japanese would get to Australia or New Zealand).

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Rabhadh posted:

This also happened in Ireland due to rebellion and civil war
Don't forget our general lack of shits to give about stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

"Were the floods of 1960 particularly bad?"
"On the contrary, Minister. We lost no end of embarrassing documents."

Malleum
Aug 16, 2014

Am I the one at fault? What about me is wrong?
Buglord
Is there any easily accessible research/literature about the US Army's participation in the Pacific in late WW2 and what they did different/better/worse than the marines there? I can't find much other than short blurbs stating which units fought where but I'm probably not looking hard enough.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Malleum posted:

Is there any easily accessible research/literature about the US Army's participation in the Pacific in late WW2 and what they did different/better/worse than the marines there? I can't find much other than short blurbs stating which units fought where but I'm probably not looking hard enough.

There's lots to read about, but to me one interesting thing is the battle of Peleliu. The amphibious landing, taking the major Japanese strongpoint facing one of the landing beaches, and then the taking of the airfield were all over with in a few days, albeit extremely costly.

But a little further inland were the Umurbrogals, a series of volcanic ridges completely honeycombed with passages and caves full of Japanese (googling USMC Umurbrogals will show pictures of what this terrain looked like). The fighting here was notable because the Japanese for the first time adopted a new policy of fire discipline, not opening fire until a Marine unit had moved into a kill zone bisected by lines of fire from several directions from the surrounding ridges. They tried to inflict max casualties in a short time and then stop firing, often before the Marines were able to spot all the firing locations. Then shoot the stretcher bearers who came up to evacuate the wounded.

Anyway, the first Marine Division was cut to pieces up there and finally withdrawn, to be replaced by the Army. This doesn't reflect poorly on the USMC at all, it was just the cost of taking the ridges, where daily advances might be twenty yards or less.

Fighting up to encirclement of the Umurbrogol pocket- 10 days

1st MarDiv fighting in Umurbrogals- 5 weeks
US Army 81st Infantry Division fighting in Umurbrogals- another 5 or 6 weeks

This is all from memory and there are a lot of good sites and books out there about it, but the Wiki article on it is not bad at all. Take note of the size of the Pocket, the area was tiny.

Although I guess this doesn't really answer your question though, as the Army didn't do anything different or better/worse. It was just a long, hellish slog that I think is very interesting as part of the Pacific War.

I do remember that the 1st MarDiv had about one in three dead or wounded, and the entire division was out of commission until Okinawa, six months or so later.

e: here is a famous pic of a Corsair having just dropped napalm on top of one of the ridges. You can see all the volcanic rock and terrain:

https://imgur.com/a/o9Mbv

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Apr 17, 2016

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MrMojok posted:

There's lots to read about, but to me one interesting thing is the battle of Peleliu. The amphibious landing, taking the major Japanese strongpoint facing one of the landing beaches, and then the taking of the airfield were all over with in a few days, albeit extremely costly.

But a little further inland were the Umurbrogals, a series of volcanic ridges completely honeycombed with passages and caves full of Japanese (googling USMC Umurbrogals will show pictures of what this terrain looked like). The fighting here was notable because the Japanese for the first time adopted a new policy of fire discipline, not opening fire until a Marine unit had moved into a kill zone bisected by lines of fire from several directions from the surrounding ridges. They tried to inflict max casualties in a short time and then stop firing, often before the Marines were able to spot all the firing locations. Then shoot the stretcher bearers who came up to evacuate the wounded.

Anyway, the first Marine Division was cut to pieces up there and finally withdrawn, to be replaced by the Army. This doesn't reflect poorly on the USMC at all, it was just the cost of taking the ridges, where daily advances might be twenty yards or less.

Fighting up to encirclement of the Umurbrogol pocket- 10 days

1st MarDiv fighting in Umurbrogals- 5 weeks
US Army 81st Infantry Division fighting in Umurbrogals- another 5 or 6 weeks

This is all from memory and there are a lot of good sites and books out there about it, but the Wiki article on it is not bad at all. Take note of the size of the Pocket, the area was tiny.

Although I guess this doesn't really answer your question though, as the Army didn't do anything different or better/worse. It was just a long, hellish slog that I think is very interesting as part of the Pacific War.

I do remember that the 1st MarDiv had about one in three dead or wounded, and the entire division was out of commission until Okinawa, six months or so later.

e: here is a famous pic of a Corsair having just dropped napalm on top of one of the ridges. You can see all the volcanic rock and terrain:

https://imgur.com/a/o9Mbv

An absolutely awesome response that can be further condensed as such: gently caress Peleliu.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Arguments about amphibious operations in the Pacific are litanies of fights between army officers and marine offers where Army units move too slowly, increasing casualties while Marine units move too recklessly, increasing casualties.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

An additional note: the whole place was volcanic rock, and it was not possible to dig in, or bury bodies. So the entire place reeked of thousands of rotting corpses and poo poo and piss, in the tropical sun. Combined with millions or billions of flies and various species of crabs feasting on the human wreckage and waste. Hell on earth. gently caress Peleliu, indeed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Question for Hey Gal, was there any form of interservice rivalry with your guys? or were things a little too fragmented for such things to take serious root?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I'm gonna guess that cavalry looked down on footsloggers as they have since time immemorial.

Come to that, I imagine that being fragmented actually INCREASED interservice rivalries - it's just that instead of being divided along broad lines, you end up with THIS regiment of infantry hating THAT regiment of infantry while being friends with THIS regiment of cavalry because they helped out in that bar brawl with THAT regiment of cavalry whom we hate because the colonel of THAT regiment slept with OUR colonel's sister etc.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tomn posted:

I'm gonna guess that cavalry looked down on footsloggers as they have since time immemorial.

And dragoons too. Poor guys.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

SeanBeansShako posted:

Question for Hey Gal, was there any form of interservice rivalry with your guys? or were things a little too fragmented for such things to take serious root?
*I have read about infantry getting mad at cavalry for various reasons
*the artillery isn't another service, it's an entirely separate thing alongside various armies, and they have huge egos
*among the spanish, there's constant bullshit between the captain of the ship and the commander of the soldiers on the ship. The latter is the one in command in battle, whether he knows anything about boats or not
*sailors think soldiers are useless and don't know anything, soldiers think sailors are beneath them. The slang term for "boom" if you're spanish is "matasoldados," soldier-killer, because it'll hit people who don't know what's up in the head.
*pikemen envy musketeers because it's easier for them to leave the march and go plundering. musketeers envy pikemen because it's a more prestigious role and they make more

i think a more pertinent part of their daily lives is probably regional bigotry, there's a thing in the Mansfeld Regiment articles of war about not forming factions based on what "nation" you belong to, and i think in context they're referring to "part of Germany"

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tomn posted:

Come to that, I imagine that being fragmented actually INCREASED interservice rivalries - it's just that instead of being divided along broad lines, you end up with THIS regiment of infantry hating THAT regiment of infantry while being friends with THIS regiment of cavalry because they helped out in that bar brawl with THAT regiment of cavalry whom we hate because the colonel of THAT regiment slept with OUR colonel's sister etc.
it is perfectly goddamn legal for a colonel or general to refuse to support someone else's campaign/attack because he'll get all the credit
it's also completely fine for really big commanders to just leave on their own and gently caress off to ????? instead of serving under that bastard for one minute longer

imagine all the rivalries we hear about during world wars 1 and 2 but it's among semi-independent entrepreneurs, not the citizens of a modern centralized state

imagine if general montgomery owned the british regiments under his command, for instance, and could do whatever he wanted with them

(exception, as always, is the french, whose officers actually are servants of the French government. In the early 1600s, they are also mostly poo poo.)

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

LostCosmonaut posted:

Probably more worried about Japan (for a while people were really concerned that the Japanese would get to Australia or New Zealand).

Not in 1939 they weren't.

• Locked thread