Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

on one hand, 1v3 smackdowns are awful experiences

on the other hand spawning in as a bluecop with another cop at the same spawn location and timing to brutalize some poor soul is also hilarious

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm on PS4 and PvP has been much better for me today than yesterday. I completed the Dogbros invasions, went on a half-dozen bluecop invasions, had no problem summoning or being summoned for bosses today. Yesterday was another story. Stuff's inconsistent, hopefully Monday's patch will help.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Spoiler question for undead settlement: Did anyone kill the NPC in the mound maker pit of hollows? Wondering if he is worth fighting / gives up any unique loot before I crush him with a big tree butt

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

If this is on PS4, what level and weapon upgrade level are you at? I'm starting to wonder the same thing, but there's so many people reporting zero action with Sentinels / Darkmoon that anyone getting even a single hit seems like a freak occurrence. I dunno if there's some combination of matchmaking settings that effect things or what. I've got cross-region play turned on because I figure that means more potential invasions, but maybe that messes with something? I dunno.

Otherwise there has to be some kind of bizarre system that nobody is seeing.

I'm on PC. Don't think I have any special MP settings, other than making sure mics are turned off. Maybe I'm just lucky or at a decent weapon level.

Last I played, I was SL52 with +5 weapons. I still experienced a fairly decent amount of blue summons at sub-SL40 and +3 weapons, though it got better since I've upgraded. I can't tell if the game prefers to send me to areas that I'm already in, or if I'm just going through these areas at a pace that matches those in Way of Blue.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
How many covenant items does it take to max a covenant and how do you know when you've maxed it? I'm really hoping it's 30, because I never want to equip Aldritch Faithful again.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Obligatum VII posted:

How many covenant items does it take to max a covenant and how do you know when you've maxed it? I'm really hoping it's 30, because I never want to equip Aldritch Faithful again.

Its 30.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Jerkface posted:

Spoiler question for undead settlement: Did anyone kill the NPC in the mound maker pit of hollows? Wondering if he is worth fighting / gives up any unique loot before I crush him with a big tree butt

He doesn't drop anything if you kill him there. You'll get his stuff if you follow the plot line for Sirris.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Jerkface posted:

If you do Sirris' questline You fight him again as a phantom and get his armor set. If you've already joined the covenant, you're good to go.

BoonyPC
Feb 19, 2007

Spudd posted:

Why is summoning so loving broken? I'm trying to summon people for the Dancer fight but most say "unable to summon" and even when I do none of them actually enter the fight with me. Like they're bugged or something.

Yea as said there are a lot of people summoning, need to be quick.

I guess the other issue is a bug though, have had it do it a couple of times, no prompt to enter the boss fight at all and just stand outside cheering.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Tallgeese posted:

Invasion mechanics were always kind of secondary to co-op. The idea was to make it as easy to opt out as possible.

Even DS2 had this with the Human Effigy effect.

Alright, but why should anyone get punished for it on either end? For every neat 2v1v1v2 fight I've had I've had barely remembered dozens where I zone in as an invader or a cop, and get chased or chase to the ends of the earth with no reprieve and little chance for anything approaching challenge or fun. Why doesn't the game work harder to throw squads against each other instead of the 3v1s that maybe turn into 3v2s. It's a shame, honestly, because when a full compliment of neon psycopaths are all duking it out the PvP is as fun as it's ever been, but the game, through design or bad networking, means most PvP is just an unpleasant, hollow skullfucking for somebody.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

So the Nameless King is blatantly Gwyn's Firstborn, right?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alabaster White posted:

So the Nameless King is blatantly Gwyn's Firstborn, right?

Item text says yes.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Orv posted:

Alright, but why should anyone get punished for it on either end? For every neat 2v1v1v2 fight I've had I've had barely remembered dozens where I zone in as an invader or a cop, and get chased or chase to the ends of the earth with no reprieve and little chance for anything approaching challenge or fun. Why doesn't the game work harder to throw squads against each other instead of the 3v1s that maybe turn into 3v2s. It's a shame, honestly, because when a full compliment of neon psycopaths are all duking it out the PvP is as fun as it's ever been, but the game, through design or bad networking, means most PvP is just an unpleasant, hollow skullfucking for somebody.

and even if by some miracle you get a 1v1 invasion it's always a 10 minute long estus chugfest you were wish was over 8 minutes ago.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

An npc in firelink said "we're going down different paths, if we meet again it will be as adversaries" so I loving KILLED HER

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Vargs posted:

I think that you are supposed to use a shield in this game, unlike Dark Souls 2. I didn't have any issues with him while using a shield but I can definitely see where it would be pretty ridiculous without one. That shoulder charge in particular.

I'm still trying to figure out how you're supposed to play 'correctly' even though I'm 30 hours or so into the game. Shields don't seem very useful because every boss (and some normal enemies even) has a three or four or five attack chain that will drain your stamina and leave you doing the 'please stab my face' wavy arm dance. But dodging is a pain in the rear end too because of all the fakeout delayed attacks or those same giant chain moves that seem timed specifically to screw you over if you're chaining rolls. That and grab attacks that completely ignore iframes. :argh:

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Work Friend Keven posted:

Love all the call backs in this game, not only to the other dark souls games, demons souls, blood bourne, etc., but also to the spin doctors.

Hahahahaha. Someone please change the boss music to this.

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

I'm still trying to figure out how you're supposed to play 'correctly' even though I'm 30 hours or so into the game. Shields don't seem very useful because every boss (and some normal enemies even) has a three or four or five attack chain that will drain your stamina and leave you doing the 'please stab my face' wavy arm dance. But dodging is a pain in the rear end too because of all the fakeout delayed attacks or those same giant chain moves that seem timed specifically to screw you over if you're chaining rolls. That and grab attacks that completely ignore iframes. :argh:

I primarily dodged, but held up my shield after dodges specifically to counter those fast fakeouts, only dropping it for stamina when it was very clear that I wasn't about to be attacked. Can't say that I experienced grabs ignoring iframes though. I dodged through grabs all the time and only ever got picked up when I clearly hosed it up.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

ShadowMar posted:

and even if by some miracle you get a 1v1 invasion it's always a 10 minute long estus chugfest you were wish was over 8 minutes ago.

when you add in the estus disabling thing it becomes a 30 minute long waiting game because the invader will always, always run away into a crowd of enemies or whatever til it wears off

and yet i cannot stop bluecopping because every time i trick an invader with lightning spear opener->lightning stake mid-match (which sets up for stunlock kill) i get off

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe
Can anyone explain boss Wolnir to me, we killed each other on my first try and all I know is that his bracelets break if you hit his hand enough and the fog near him is deadly. I don't even know what killed me in the end, is it a timed fight?

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Fereydun posted:

when you add in the estus disabling thing it becomes a 30 minute long waiting game because the invader will always, always run away into a crowd of enemies or whatever til it wears off

Yeah it took exactly one almost dead invader running off with quickstep in the swamp to chug estus before I decided that PvP isn't worth the time in the swamp.

BobTheJanitor posted:

It's really more about finding a way that works for you. If you really want to face tank you could try a greatshield with high stability, high stability is usually what you need to soak big chains of attacks. Regular shield blocks are more useful for fast hitting enemies like thralls, dogs, and catacomb skeletons that will get interrupted and you can then just smash them, and you can parry an awful lot of enemies if you take the time (and deaths) to learn them. Shieldless and just dodging feels a touch harder so far than in previous games, but I also haven't tried the Carthus Bloodring yet since the drawback looks pretty significant.

Some enemies are also really vulnerable to staggering and become much easier if you two-hand your weapon (to do higher poise damage), especially a heavier one, and play really aggressively. Some examples in the first part of the game are big hollows, grave wardens, and big skeletons. Or you could stand other side of the room and shoot lasers, and just stab things when they get close.

hampig fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Apr 17, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Mehrunes posted:

Can anyone explain boss Wolnir to me, we killed each other on my first try and all I know is that his bracelets break if you hit his hand enough and the fog near him is deadly. I don't even know what killed me in the end, is it a timed fight?

Its on a timer in the sense that if he forces you up against the wall and then uses his fog, there's no way to dodge it and you die. You have to break his bracelets to kill him. my guess is what killed you is that when hitting the bracelets you moved into the fog that forms under him automatically, when killed you.

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003
The red eye orb really is an amazing glimpse into the Dark Souls community, where everyone has the maximum number of phantoms, is still terrible, and lags their way to success.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Vargs posted:

I think that you are supposed to use a shield in this game, unlike Dark Souls 2. I didn't have any issues with him while using a shield but I can definitely see where it would be pretty ridiculous without one. That shoulder charge in particular.

IDK I stopped using one around the undead settlement and it's working OK thus far. Dumping my shield has definitely pay closer attention to attack patterns and tells. It's been fun! If I run into a fight where I need to use one, I'll use one again.

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Internet Kraken posted:

Its on a timer in the sense that if he forces you up against the wall and then uses his fog, there's no way to dodge it and you die. You have to break his bracelets to kill him. my guess is what killed you is that when hitting the bracelets you moved into the fog that forms under him automatically, when killed you.

Oh I spent alot of time under him in his fog wasting my health, he must have had me against the wall and I just got lucky at the end.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I wish this game had more alternate routes like Dassy 1/2. I just got the first lord soul and this skeleton shithole is the last thing in the world I want to do.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lordric is the most bullshit boss I've ever seen. I woke up this morning thinking DS3 might be my game of the year already, and am going to bed never wanting to play it again. And the most bullshit part is that I know if loving summoning actually worked instead of just saying "unable to summon phantom" every loving time I try and get help I could do it.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Vince MechMahon posted:

Lordric is the most bullshit boss I've ever seen. I woke up this morning thinking DS3 might be my game of the year already, and am going to bed never wanting to play it again. And the most bullshit part is that I know if loving summoning actually worked instead of just saying "unable to summon phantom" every loving time I try and get help I could do it.

Unable to summon phantom usually means that someone else summoned him before you. Apparently there is a real shortage of phantoms compared to people who want to summon.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Andrast posted:

Unable to summon phantom usually means that someone else summoned him before you. Apparently there is a real shortage of phantoms compared to people who want to summon.

It's not this. I got help from a guy on Steam and it gave me the same message even when we were using a password. The only person I've been able to connect to is my room mate. I have firewall exceptions made, and even went as far as to DMZ my computer, still loving nothing. I've also tried to lay down my sign to be summoned for other peoples fights and it times out every single time. I've also never been invaded. Something is hosed on their end or on my end, and if it's my end I have no idea what else I could possibly do.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
I didn't really use a shield much until I got to the Cathedral where they jam packed it with every rear end in a top hat level design thing they could think of. There's so many gotcha spots with those big hat crawling guys popping up behind you and crossbow guys who can snipe you from 30 miles away.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

oh also i think i maybe figured out the stupid tpose during online garbage

i turned off voice chat in my online restrictions and it stopped happening entirely

idk, could just be coincidence

Mehrunes
Aug 4, 2004
Fun Shoe

Dr. Abysmal posted:

I didn't really use a shield much until I got to the Cathedral where they jam packed it with every rear end in a top hat level design thing they could think of. There's so many gotcha spots with those big hat crawling guys popping up behind you and crossbow guys who can snipe you from 30 miles away.

That was so much fun with a sorcerer using a catalyst and a rapier. Patches was not pleased.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fereydun posted:

oh also i think i maybe figured out the stupid tpose during online garbage

i turned off voice chat in my online restrictions and it stopped happening entirely

idk, could just be coincidence

Always been off, still happens.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Vince MechMahon posted:

Lordric is the most bullshit boss I've ever seen.

He's definitely my least favorite boss in the game by a country mile. Even the optional mega-boss felt more fair and fun than he did, since the mega-boss doesn't break the mechanic that lets you react to things.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Barudak posted:

He's definitely my least favorite boss in the game by a country mile. Even the optional mega-boss felt more fair and fun than he did, since the mega-boss doesn't break the mechanic that lets you react to things.

I honestly think I might just be done with this game. I feel like I've wasted 40 hours of my life to get to a big sign that just says "gently caress you."

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Orv posted:

Always been off, still happens.

well, poo poo.
boy i hope it stays that way for me then

Barudak posted:

he's the first guy i had to co-op for as a pure magic char because of that- i thought i had figured out a pattern with 3 swings->teleport but turns out sometimes he just decides to stop giving any fucks. i was able to get lucky on sometimes with his patterns and clutch out a win but the second phase is nearly impossible as a pure magic character due to a certain kink:
you can't lock onto lothric when you kill lorian- your cursor will continue locking onto lorian meaning you have to dumbfire your spells at lothric which is already a huge pain because of how little damage you do

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fereydun posted:

he's the first guy i had to co-op for as a pure magic char because of that- i thought i had figured out a pattern with 3 swings->teleport but turns out sometimes he just decides to stop giving any fucks. i was able to get lucky on sometimes with his patterns and clutch out a win but the second phase is nearly impossible as a pure magic character due to a certain kink:
you can't lock onto lothric when you kill lorian- your cursor will continue locking onto lorian meaning you have to dumbfire your spells at lothric which is already a huge pain because of how little damage you do

Huh that's odd as I did that fight I had zero issue switching targets when they fall. Knocked them down and killed them before they could ever get back up.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Barudak posted:

Huh that's odd as I did that fight I had zero issue switching targets when they fall. Knocked them down and killed them before they could ever get back up.

yeah i noticed it was only doing it when i was using my catalyst/magic- when i switched to butt naked greatswording as my backup plan it never happened so it's something that specifically fucks over magic users

it's kind of gross how bad magic is in ds3 but i feel like that was gonna be a given factor considering how folks always say how overpowered magic is regardless of the truth of that statement
though it's a combination of factors for why it's so bad in ds3, haha

beating the game as a pure sorcerer/pyro was legitimately more challenging than doing the ds2 dlc as a sorcerer/pyro and anyone w/ experience in that should get how hosed up that statement is

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
GOD

loving
DAMMIT

Dancer of the Borea Fuckshit tanks my framerate too badly to summon, and I have had no luck trying to solo it. Why the gently caress....

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Have I hosed up the anri quest line by completing the cathedral and catacombs before speaking to them at firelink shrine? I've got the blue sentinels ring

Someone killed the bag carrying NPC at firelink shrine and its the first time I've actually seen him there.

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
DS3 kinda peaks at Pontiff Sulyvahn and the rest is all downhill.