Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

To conclude my gay tangent nobody asked for the one thing i liked about the ova was the stairway scene basically got Smooshed into the 50-meter emerald splash and kakyoin got to redeem his cowardice before dying like a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

I believe it was supposed to be a world where DIO was able to learn from his mistakes with the Joestars and win against Jonathan, et al? Or am I mixing that up with Ticket To Ride?

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

OVA Kakyoin's death is good and I go back and forth on whether or not I like the way David rearranged it

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It was a world where Dio was rid of the Joestars basically

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Sending fleshbud Kakyoin out to Japan to murder Jotaro was just a little oopsy-doodle on his part

There never was a fleshbud, that was just Kakyoin trying to take Jotaro out of the picture so he could do some mom-bangin'

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Okuyasu Nijimura posted:

Sending fleshbud Kakyoin out to Japan to murder Jotaro was just a little oopsy-doodle on his part

according to the novel it was entirely enya's idea

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

This is still the best gif we will ever get from the anime

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

okay that sounds like a thing dio would want, but I thought the point of being able to know what happens next was just to never be disappointed when it happens because you can't avert it. Or was that something else?

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

It really is. Pure perfection.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Butt Ghost posted:

okay that sounds like a thing dio would want, but I thought the point of being able to know what happens next was just to never be disappointed when it happens because you can't avert it. Or was that something else?

It was some poetic nonsense, but at the end of the day every word was just justification for that one goal

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

if things are pre-destined to occur then king crimson shouldn't work

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Dio's eternal rival is me, because I'm going to stuff him in a locker.

Skull Servant
Oct 25, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

if things are pre-destined to occur then king crimson shouldn't work

Did it, though?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
And he's going to stuff you into a furnace

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Butt Ghost posted:

It makes people more resigned to their fate.

You could also say that it would make them think that fighting it is "useless".

Baal posted:

It was some poetic nonsense, but at the end of the day every word was just justification for that one goal

Basically.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Cabinet posted:

Did it, though?

for a bit

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Baal posted:

And he's going to stuff you into a furnace

AU where Danny survives and learns the Ripple

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

It's called "Steel Ball Run" and he hosed up Johnny's brother with it

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I wish I wasn't super tired or I'd use this discussion and one of BaDandy's posts to springboard into how I've always contextualized Dio as the "Devil" of the Jojo universe, both literally and figuratively - which ties into that one big huge Jonathan post I've never written where Jonathan is effectively the series' "Messiah."

Suffice to say, while I don't mind Dio's evolution into something significantly larger than himself over the course of the story, I do take some issue with how Part 6 rewrites him and whitewashes his ambitions. Some of that you could just write off as Pucci-vision, but other bits are more egregious.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
Heaven dio was sooo bad a design... I think four Dios might have been enough for that game

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
:rip: Ultimate Warrior.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
On another note, one of these days I should probably do a Let's Read of Part 5 when the retranslation is actually done but I am nnnnooot as well-versed in the language of comics as Xibanya is, so it'll probably just be me going, "and here we have an inverted retread of Stardust Crusaders" and talking about Les Miserables for pages and pages and, I dunno. I dunno, man.. :v:

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

no they will not posted:

Heaven dio was sooo bad a design... I think four Dios might have been enough for that game

They should have just ponied up a grand for Araki to take a day to actually design Heaven DIO instead of some dude at CC2 doing so.

And if it turns it out somehow was Araki who did that, it's easily the worst design he ever did.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
Heaven DIO looks fine? not amazing but other than having his name on his face, which is retarded, he's basically a super pale Pillar Man

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah that's a lovely design

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Dio wants to control [Fate] because he's Dio, while Pucci wants everything predestined to absolve himself of guilt for ruining everything for everyone. It's kinda the same general idea but differing personalities twist it in different directions.

I'm also one of those Nerds That Is Mad About Part 6's Ending, mostly because of the while world-reset thing. It just kinda feels like a haha gently caress you the past 5 parts didn't matter.

I mean that's a gross over-exaggeration and not true at all, but I didn't become a nerd to react rationally to things.

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Waffleman_ posted:

AU where Danny survives and learns the Ripple

AU where all the abused dogs throughout the series form a pack and maul all the villains to death.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Baal posted:

Yeah that's a lovely design

perhaps it is you who sucks

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Million Ghosts posted:

perhaps it is you who sucks

I mean, he does, but Heaven DIO isn't great either.

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
i never plan to play Eyes of Heaven and think Heaven DIO is merely mediocore so i won't die on this hill

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am the greatest warrior of them all

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
No matter how weird Jojo gets, the shonen structure keeps it somewhat grounded. The series takes place in a very idiosyncratic world, but it still follows some sort of internal logic; most of the weird stuff can be explained away as the working of stands, and after a battle things go back to being (relatively) normal.

Part 6, however, takes this structure and stretches it to the breaking point, causing it to veer into surreality. It also seems to suffer the most from the weekly serialization as things are dropped at a moment's notice, the plotting becomes increasingly arcane, and abilities become absurdly specific, which also contributes to it feeling like the narrative is falling apart as you read. There's better parts of Jojo, but none comes close to replicate the feeling that Stone Ocean does.

Reading Jojo for the plot is kinda pointless, anyway.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Heavenly DIO being Ultimate Warrior is actually cool and good

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

It's not a big spoiler post or anything but I think you posted in the wrong thread on your last go Mabel

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Okay I can finally convey my Part 6 thoughts somewhat cohoerently

Part 6's surrealism near the end does a lot for me and I can see why some people just hate it. So much bizarre poo poo is happening that it can totally lose all cohesion, but the raw absurdity of What The gently caress Is Even Happening appeals to me. The fight at Cape Canaveral feels like such a loving spectacle that's hard for me to not mark out at all the bizarre poo poo that happens. I don't like Pucci for his motivation or his goals, but he has an intimidation factor that I like while still feeling like he's completely off his rocker. Whitesnake is a rough looking Stand and Pucci doing poo poo like keeping a small cross under his fingernail to get two inches of reach on his fight with Jolyne while they're handcuffed together is some dope poo poo, but nah I wouldn't rank him high on my JoJo villain list.

The end result of the final fight is a biiiiiit of clustermess but i dunno, it doesn't bother me, I'm not mad about it or anything. I don't remember if the details were spoiled for me or not, but I just felt Well, That Happened, Okay Then throughout the whole thing. I never felt slighted by the universe reset at the time and I certainly don't now, it's brought us some of the greatest JoJo stuff in yeaaaaaars. I'm really loving jonesing for the Part 5 translation cause I've enjoyed what I've read of that so far and I want to like Part 5 more

I like Part 6 for it's breakneck pace to do dumb loving poo poo all the time like invisible zombies or subliminal messages in rainbows turning people into snails, but that totally also works to it's detriment at times.

also Heaven DIO looks dumb, but white The World looks dope af and it's loving called The World Over Heaven

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 17, 2016

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Moltrey posted:

I never felt slighted by the universe reset at the time and I certainly don't now, it's brought us some of the greatest JoJo stuff in yeaaaaaars.

this is 100% true but I just wish we didn't have to turbofuck the world to get there. I still really dislike it but i'm not begrudging parts 7/8 for it because they are totally dope.

I've been reading Part 8 in bits and pieces, and I've somehow never realized Araki's absurd talent for adding/removing genuine tension from a scene incredibly quickly. The Fun Fun Fun fight goes from tense danger to zany slapstick in a single panel("I stole the friction from the ceiling" [HANNA BARBARA CRASH NOISES]), it's amazing.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I still don't have that feeling you need the timeline reset to get Part 7 or 8, but it's not really a factor to me thinking that's why we got those parts at all so whatever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

You don't need to do the reset, but they can't work in the original universe either and there's no better way of drawing a line under something and moving on than giving it total finality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean you could also just make a new story entirely and not draw attention to whether or not it's of the same world.