Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

BioEnchanted posted:

I just put a mimic to sleep with a lloyds talisman in Dark Souls 3 and they have the cutest animation. After a while they stretch their arms out in a creaky-sounding yawn and tuck themselves back in to their chests :3:

It almost counters the creepy giggling and screams they make.

Speaking of favorite little mimic things in dark souls 3. They have both the Dark Souls mimics, which stand tall and proud of their freakish noodle limbs, and the Dark Souls 2 variants which crawl on the ground like something out of a Japanese horror movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I want a Mimic-Bonfire.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
U didn't believed it until I saw it myself, but there legit is a giant anthropomorphic tree boss you have to kill by beating it in the testicles.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Calaveron posted:

U didn't believed it until I saw it myself, but there legit is a giant anthropomorphic tree boss you have to kill by beating it in the testicles.

That's nuts.

Canemacar
Mar 8, 2008

Calaveron posted:

A tree with a twig and berries?

DeadmansReach
Mar 7, 2006
Thinks Jewish converts should be genocided to make room for the "real" Jews.

Put this anti-Semite on ignore immediately!

Calaveron posted:

Until you smash or cut them off, then you have to move around to the... back testicles?

My favorite "little" thing about Dark Souls 3 is that the covenants so far seem accessible and varied, plus you can switch between them easily I think.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Dark Souls chat:
DS3 is based on the DS1 and DeS, but the areas are all decayed and ruined versions of the originals (it's like poetry it rhymes)

One of the iconic areas in DeS is a giant bridge full of zombies, and a huge dragon keeps swooping down and spewing fire across it. Your options are to dodge the dragon, or risk the underside of the bridge which is cramped, dark, and full of rabid dogs.

In DS3 the bridge is cracked and ruined, and the zombies and the dogs are too busy fitting each other. If you step right to the edge of the ruined section you can see the mangled body of the dragon lying in a pile of rubble.

I'm fairly certain I'm about to find Ash Lake again, and I am pumped as hell.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
DS3 is the sequel to DS1 that DS2 should have been.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

While we're on Dark Souls 3 chat: Somewhere below the Catacombs, there's a room containing a strong enemy (a fire demon of some sort). In addition to this strong enemy, there are one or two skeletons in the room, which are weak mob type enemies. Now, I'm not sure if this is a bug or if it's by design, but these skeletons are also hostile to the aforementioned strong enemy. After whittling down most of its health from a distance, I accidentally triggered a skeleton to rise up (like in DS1 and DS2, most skeletons lie in pieces on the floor until you approach them, at which point they reassemble themselves). I retreated, and watched in amazement as this one skeleton took on this huge sub-boss all by itself... and won. Sure, the thing had only a sliver of health left, but it was still heroic as hell.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
There's a mimic on the ledge in that room, and it's super viable to hit the mimic and bait it into killing the fire demon.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

pulp rag posted:

There's a mimic on the ledge in that room, and it's super viable to hit the mimic and bait it into killing the fire demon.

Earlier today I watched in amazement as the mimic kicked the fire demon so hard in the face coming down the stairs that it finished the fight for me.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

^^^came here to post this. enemies being hostile to each other is one of my favorite little touches in DS3

Another fun instance of this is when you fight the Abyss Watchers, at first you think it's gonna be a Four Kings ripoff until they start fighting each other

Van Kraken
Feb 13, 2012

Nuebot posted:

It almost counters the creepy giggling and screams they make.

Speaking of favorite little mimic things in dark souls 3. They have both the Dark Souls mimics, which stand tall and proud of their freakish noodle limbs, and the Dark Souls 2 variants which crawl on the ground like something out of a Japanese horror movie.

I really love how enthusiastic the mimics are with their kicks. You can tell they're putting their heart into it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQtJREnlkng&t=90s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Dodging the spoilers because I've only just got past the second boss, but I love the demon dogs in Dark Souls 3 - They're just so loving stoked to see you. They look so happy bounding towards you with that giant grin on their faces. It's like the first thought when they see you is PLAY! PLAY! PLAY!

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

In The Witcher 3, if you buy or find the Undvik Saddlebags for Roach in Skellige there is a little coffee pot attached to one side that jangles around as you ride. I like it :3:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Life is beautiful.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Consortium begins with you taking control of an unnamed member of the titular Consortium and being woken up by someone at your door showing up to give you orders. One of your dialogue options is to ask them "tell me more about [x]" and all they do is roll their eyes and go "what do you mean 'tell me more', do I look like a goddamn data terminal? Look it up yourself, I have poo poo to do." which is a cute way of lampshading how awkward and unnatural video game dialogue is if applied to real social interactions.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
I love how Pathologic Classic HD gives you the option to be an enormous, goatse-sized rear end in a top hat to children.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I love how Pathologic Classic HD gives you the option to be an enormous, goatse-sized rear end in a top hat to children.

They accidentally invented the cure for the plague and are holding it hostage so they can fill their pockets with razors, needles, and fishhooks. They deserve it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Dark Souls chat:
DS3 is based on the DS1 and DeS, but the areas are all decayed and ruined versions of the originals (it's like poetry it rhymes)

One of the iconic areas in DeS is a giant bridge full of zombies, and a huge dragon keeps swooping down and spewing fire across it. Your options are to dodge the dragon, or risk the underside of the bridge which is cramped, dark, and full of rabid dogs.

In DS3 the bridge is cracked and ruined, and the zombies and the dogs are too busy fitting each other. If you step right to the edge of the ruined section you can see the mangled body of the dragon lying in a pile of rubble.

I'm fairly certain I'm about to find Ash Lake again, and I am pumped as hell.

Dark Souls 3 has a ton of references to Demon's Souls and I love it.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Guy Mann posted:

They accidentally invented the cure for the plague and are holding it hostage so they can fill their pockets with razors, needles, and fishhooks. They deserve it.

I also love that this is an accurate description of the game. Trading razors to children for drugs is a huge part of it.

I hope they all die playing epidemic, fuckers deserve it.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I like how the larger enemies in DS3 can stagger if you either sustain enough damage on them or keep hitting specific weak points, and if you hit them at the right spot when they stagger you can perform a killing blow.

also the hub in this game is the best hub I've seen since demons souls

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
Okay so it's like the whole point of the game but being good at Dark Souls in general is more satisfying than being good at any other game. The only one that comes close in my mind was NBA 2K14. No other game has ever inspired me to trash talk AI.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Samfucius posted:

Okay so it's like the whole point of the game but being good at Dark Souls in general is more satisfying than being good at any other game. The only one that comes close in my mind was NBA 2K14. No other game has ever inspired me to trash talk AI.

Ever tried Monster Hunter? It's the only game that compares in that respect for me (and even slightly beats it, in my opinion) though it's entirely lacking the exploration element that's a significant part of Dark Souls.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

Triarii posted:

Ever tried Monster Hunter? It's the only game that compares in that respect for me (and even slightly beats it, in my opinion) though it's entirely lacking the exploration element that's a significant part of Dark Souls.

No, never. I did the monster hunter stuff in peace walker...

Once I'm done with DS3 I'll check it out.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
Being good at Dark Souls is pretty satisfying but it doesn't hold a candle to being good at God Hand. I'm burnt out on both DS1 and DS2 at this point after about five playthroughs of each but my God Hand hard mode habit shows no signs of abating.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One Dark Souls 3 thing that I appreciate is that most of the worst enemies can simply be avoided. The Winged Knight in the courtyard at the beginning is slow enough you can just slink around the fountain in the same direction, then open the shortcut, and most of the Pyromancers in the Undead Settlement take getting very close to aggro them. On my current playthrough I'm going down the right path because the left path has the giant dude throwing spears and there is only one Pyromancer that I need to deal with, and I only need to kill her once (depending on how dangerous the church proves) because she is miles out of the way of the other path, she just has more friends. Also for the left path I can avoid the annoying pyro on the ledge due to the kind bonfire nearby.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

So I accidentally discovered that not only can you kill someone with a fish in Sleeping Dogs, you get a trophy for doing it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Alhazred posted:

So I accidentally discovered that not only can you kill someone with a fish in Sleeping Dogs, you get a trophy for doing it.

The one where Wei Shen, motherfucker, just rams the swordfish through some rear end in a top hat's chest?

When I first did that my face hurt from how broadly I was grinning.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Mister Adequate posted:

The one where Wei Shen, motherfucker, just rams the swordfish through some rear end in a top hat's chest?

No. I broke an aquarium with one guy's head, picked up a fish that fell out and slapped another guy to death with it.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Alhazred posted:

No. I broke an aquarium with one guy's head, picked up a fish that fell out and slapped another guy to death with it.

Hahaha holy poo poo, still things for me to see :allears:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alhazred posted:

You know, I've been wanting to replay sleeping dogs for a while and as soon as I finish dark souls 3 I've got my reason to.

My favorite little thing in Sleeping Dogs are your neighbors outside your apartment always talking about their life issues.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Nuebot posted:

You know, I've been wanting to replay sleeping dogs for a while and as soon as I finish dark souls 3 I've got my reason to.

My favorite little thing in Sleeping Dogs are your neighbors outside your apartment always talking about their life issues.

Every time the mom said something dickish, I'd toss her into the trash bin outside.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I just discovered a fun little thing in Pokemon Picross. For those who haven't played it, its a Picross game where you can set up to 5 pokemon with various abilities to help you solve the puzzles. Certain levels will have objectives requiring you to set a certain pokemon, or only use a certain ability. I had a level that required you to set a Legendary pokemon (the ones with ridiculously long cooldown times that you can't even throw freemium currency at to shorten) and use the Scatter Reveal ability (randomly reveals squares on the board; stronger pokemon reveal more squares).

I went ahead and set Darkrai; a Legendary pokemon with the Scatter Reveal ability. Darkrai will reveal up to 120 squares, and I used him on a 10x10 puzzle. For those playing along at home, you'll notice that a 10x10 puzzle only has 100 squares to reveal. The puzzle started, Scatter Reveal fired up, revealed every square on the puzzle, instantly ending the puzzle and completing every objective with absolutely no effort on my part.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

jivjov posted:

I just discovered a fun little thing in Pokemon Picross. For those who haven't played it, its a Picross game where you can set up to 5 pokemon with various abilities to help you solve the puzzles. Certain levels will have objectives requiring you to set a certain pokemon, or only use a certain ability. I had a level that required you to set a Legendary pokemon (the ones with ridiculously long cooldown times that you can't even throw freemium currency at to shorten) and use the Scatter Reveal ability (randomly reveals squares on the board; stronger pokemon reveal more squares).

I went ahead and set Darkrai; a Legendary pokemon with the Scatter Reveal ability. Darkrai will reveal up to 120 squares, and I used him on a 10x10 puzzle. For those playing along at home, you'll notice that a 10x10 puzzle only has 100 squares to reveal. The puzzle started, Scatter Reveal fired up, revealed every square on the puzzle, instantly ending the puzzle and completing every objective with absolutely no effort on my part.
This is a great way to solve smaller puzzles with tight time limits, since you can effectively fill in every square of a 10x10 puzzle in literally no time at all on the game clock.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Tiberius Thyben posted:

Every time the mom said something dickish, I'd toss her into the trash bin outside.

Truly the best thing about Sleeping Dogs is that it got loving with civilians right. The GTA dichotomy of kill or scare is so stale when contrasted the wonderful cartoonish world of alternatives hidden within Sleeping Dogs. Car trunks should be an open-world standard.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Xoidanor posted:

Truly the best thing about Sleeping Dogs is that it got loving with civilians right. The GTA dichotomy of kill or scare is so stale when contrasted the wonderful cartoonish world of alternatives hidden within Sleeping Dogs. Car trunks should be an open-world standard.

I really wish they'd get the guys who made sleeping dogs to basically make an online game like GTAOnline. Because they made a fun as hell world to mess around with and it's a shame I cant run up to another player and throw them in the trunk of my car then drive off a pier with them while singing sad Chinese songs.

Also another little thing about Sleeping Dogs is that guns are pretty rare for like 80% of the game. Even just being seen with a gun will get your wanted level up, enemies with guns are usually only encountered in out of the way areas like sewers or places without law enforcement. They really emphasize that the city you're in is a gun-free zone for the most part so it's not really like other open world crime games where you just get an assault rifle and run around shooting everyone forever.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Nuebot posted:

Also another little thing about Sleeping Dogs is that guns are pretty rare for like 80% of the game. Even just being seen with a gun will get your wanted level up, enemies with guns are usually only encountered in out of the way areas like sewers or places without law enforcement. They really emphasize that the city you're in is a gun-free zone for the most part so it's not really like other open world crime games where you just get an assault rifle and run around shooting everyone forever.

Who needs guns when you have a special move specifically designed to make your opponents go :stare:

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

Nuebot posted:

I really wish they'd get the guys who made sleeping dogs to basically make an online game like GTAOnline. Because they made a fun as hell world to mess around with and it's a shame I cant run up to another player and throw them in the trunk of my car then drive off a pier with them while singing sad Chinese songs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triad_Wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Xoidanor posted:

Also just holding the car door open too.