Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kramjacks
Jul 5, 2007

froody guy posted:

No it's not. But it's not even that they went around saying "hey dudes, DO NOT expect atmospheric landing at all for the next 12-18 months. Don't be that guy nevah evah, ok? This is dusty and rocky Horizons not airy Horizons mright?"

Anyway, I wonder how they'll name the next season, Breath Taking Horizons? :parrot:

Next season will be called The Terrible Beauty of a Spaceship Burning up and Exploding During Re-Entry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

poo poo, those changes are nice. Good QOL and some much-needed variety, plus HUGE MULTICANNONS AND LASERS MOTHERFUCKERS. I might just have to go back to my beloved FDL.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

TomR posted:

It would be cool if there were new light weight options, like the bulkheads and stuff where you equip it and it takes up space but makes your ship lighter for more jump range. I think Mechwarrior had stuff like that.

That's kind of the problem with exploration, isn't it? There's a limit to what you can add that offers any kind of interesting choices. There's only so much functionality that you'd need, and everything else is just a matter of mass.

What actual ship functions could be added that explorers would benefit from? I can really only think of two: the ability to repair integral systems (hull, power plant) and the ability to refill heat sinks — those are the two main problems that can cut a trip short (other than outright exploding, that is).

There are some UI improvements that would be neat, such as being able to toggle entire banks of modules on and off rather than do them one at a time (eg. for planetary landings) or the ability to toggle fuel flow, as discussed a few pages back, but those aren't really “fancy new bits” that will make for a splashy news item.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
A faster FSD charger, better SC control, in system jumps, some kind of data multiplier so you get paid more for scans. I dunno, they could do some stuff but it'd mostly be reworking how exploration works.

Plek
Jul 30, 2009
Rare angry space critters that you had to run from or fight off?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

I got an 'F' in Geometry.
Speaking of exploration, is there a way to finnangle my galaxy map to show systems that have never been explored before? I'd kinda like to go get my name on a few systems, but I currently have no way of knowing which way to point my ship.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Conskill posted:

Speaking of exploration, is there a way to finnangle my galaxy map to show systems that have never been explored before? I'd kinda like to go get my name on a few systems, but I currently have no way of knowing which way to point my ship.

There is no way, other than systems you have explored you can look at their system map (but no way to highlight them on the map). Best way I find to get unexplored systems in to just go out a thousandish+ light years not in the direction of major landmarks or "tourist" destinations and you should easily start hitting them. If you're still seeing names go left/right/up/down a hundred Ly or so from your path of travel.

I went coreward recently and about 3k Ly away from Sol there was plenty of stars to do with as I pleased as long as I wasn't heading towards directly to the core or towards and big name objects.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
I'd like a more powerful surface scanner. Something that doesn't require me to be < 4Ls from smaller more dense planetoids.

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DoubleNegative posted:

I'd like a more powerful surface scanner. Something that doesn't require me to be < 4Ls from smaller more dense planetoids.

Or a Space Horn that auto scans the junk Ice/Rock planets.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

TomR posted:

A faster FSD charger, better SC control, in system jumps, some kind of data multiplier so you get paid more for scans. I dunno, they could do some stuff but it'd mostly be reworking how exploration works.
Longer jump range is the obvious one.

More variety in space objects would help. Comets, aliens (not gonna happen), different surface types... anything to spend more time seeing new things and less time just jumping in, honking the horn, and jumping out.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
hey would it be dumb if a kill warrant scanner gave some kind of reward just from sighting a ship? If you pass a crook in the night, maybe have a chance to get rewarded for finding out wheres hes been. Or a benefit beyond having to go to other factions to pick up some pocket change.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

vorebane posted:

hey would it be dumb if a kill warrant scanner gave some kind of reward just from sighting a ship? If you pass a crook in the night, maybe have a chance to get rewarded for finding out wheres hes been. Or a benefit beyond having to go to other factions to pick up some pocket change.

It would give some incentive to check out players, sure. But on the official forums you would probably get a horde of people moaning at you "Risk Vs Reward!" if it gave you say, a flat 100 credits regardless of the size of their bounties. As well as it somehow ruining PvP.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Any word on when earth-likes will be made interesting?

It shouldn't be that hard to program a limpet that would fill your hold with slaves if you find one for example.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

DreadLlama posted:

Any word on when earth-likes will be made interesting?

It shouldn't be that hard to program a limpet that would fill your hold with slaves if you find one for example.

Lol, that's horrifying. You want to roleplay the Collectors from Mass Effect? I mean I'm all for Imperial slavery, but drat

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Lol, that's horrifying. You want to roleplay the Collectors from Mass Effect? I mean I'm all for Imperial slavery, but drat

I like to think of Imperial Slaves as cargo loads of office workers. You are their public transportation service.

At the very least, it's probably a better paying passenger service than the real passenger missions would ever be once eventually implemented :v:

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Or, fulfilling bounties ends up building up some kind of grudge factor from local gangs, leading a kill warrant scan on YOU showing up an offer for a hit from a said gang, leading to the pirate having the opportunity to be making some gains besides just not being destroyed at the bounty hunters leisure.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

froody guy posted:

No it's not. But it's not even that they went around saying "hey dudes, DO NOT expect atmospheric landing at all for the next 12-18 months. Don't be that guy nevah evah, ok? This is dusty and rocky Horizons not airy Horizons mright?"

Anyway, I wonder how they'll name the next season, Breath Taking Horizons? :parrot:

Elite Vista edition

knockout
Apr 27, 2014

my reputation's never been worse, so

Section Z posted:

I like to think of Imperial Slaves as cargo loads of office workers. You are their public transportation service.

At the very least, it's probably a better paying passenger service than the real passenger missions would ever be once eventually implemented :v:

So, basically intergalactic Uber for 33rd century Deloitte employees?

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Another exploration question.

Looking at the returns I'm getting for cartography data, I'm getting the feeling even detailed scanning isn't worth my time in the Bubble versus just leaning on my Advanced Scanner button and jumping to ten new systems in the time it'd take me to survey a single one.

Do the returns get any better outside the Bubble? Otherwise I'm really struggling to convince myself to keep the detailed surface scanner versus putting in another fuel tank.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Conskill posted:

Another exploration question.

Looking at the returns I'm getting for cartography data, I'm getting the feeling even detailed scanning isn't worth my time in the Bubble versus just leaning on my Advanced Scanner button and jumping to ten new systems in the time it'd take me to survey a single one.

Do the returns get any better outside the Bubble? Otherwise I'm really struggling to convince myself to keep the detailed surface scanner versus putting in another fuel tank.

You get a bonus if you find something first. Inside the bubble the chances for this are pretty drat close to zero by now.

But please don't explore just for money, that way lies the road to ruin.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Yeah dude. Exploration is not a way to get money. Exploration is more like, something you do while you're on the treadmill.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Thirding here, you don't explore for money. You explore because you want pretty space pictures.

Or because you have space madness.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

…or, if not pretty pictures, as such, then at least very curious.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Yeah the only way to get rich exploring is to be gone for months and doing nothing but explore, hitting anything that might be worthy of stopping and scanning. But smuggling or trading will earn you more money faster by a large margin.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Natsuumi posted:

Or because you have space madness.

The white dot is your friend,
do not look at the white dot,
Do not talk about the white dot.

Aaaaaaarrrrrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!
<Communication Lost>

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Libluini posted:

You get a bonus if you find something first. Inside the bubble the chances for this are pretty drat close to zero by now.

But please don't explore just for money, that way lies the road to ruin.
This is true, but detailed scanning does basically double your money. The question is whether you should be spending that time scanning for detailed payout + discovery bonuses or just moving on and honking. If there's stuff right next to you when you warp in, gas giants within about 1000 Ls (depending on size), or scannable stars, then sure, scan away if you want to. But you can also just warp on by and honk and only stop when something looks interesting, too.

nippythefish
Nov 20, 2007

FEED ME SNAKES

UCS Hellmaker posted:

Yeah the only way to get rich exploring is to be gone for months and doing nothing but explore, hitting anything that might be worthy of stopping and scanning. But smuggling or trading will earn you more money faster by a large margin.

Even then, the definition of "rich" is subjective. The amount of money necessary to gain Elite status in exploration isn't enough to be considered rich imo, and I still have about 90 million to go in exploration data before I reach Elite.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Wealth isn't everything either. I earned enough money to combat fit an Anaconda only to discover all I really wanted was to tool around the galaxy in Imperial Couriers and Clippers, so that's exactly what I went back to doing.

I fed that Anaconda straight into the space woodchipper.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

DancingShade posted:

Wealth isn't everything either. I earned enough money to combat fit an Anaconda only to discover all I really wanted was to tool around the galaxy in Imperial Couriers and Clippers, so that's exactly what I went back to doing.

Same. Courier is the best ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

DancingShade posted:

Something similar happened to me when I tried to get my hands on an Imperial Cutter for space exploration in style, but when I tried out an Anaconda I learned the Anaconda is a horrible slow tub. Trying to raise more space money for a ship handling even worse suddenly sounded like a bad idea to me and I stopped.

I didn't fed my Anaconda into a woodchipper of course, since I'm out exploring with it right now, but still. :shrug:

The moment the Beluga Liner becomes available I swear I grind to hell and back to get my hands on one though, regardless of handling, speed or jump range. That ship is like a mobile palace and I want it.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Just a friendly reminder: if you are exploring for money and not screenshots, you done hosed up.

Speaking of screenshots, found this 63 earth-mass ice world. :turianass: Only :turianass: had a gravity of about 7.3G, which seems surprising for something so massive. It was kind of silly being several light seconds away and having the planet loom large like a star.

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Just a friendly reminder: if you are exploring for money and not screenshots, you done hosed up.

Speaking of screenshots, found this 63 earth-mass ice world. :turianass: Only :turianass: had a gravity of about 7.3G, which seems surprising for something so massive. It was kind of silly being several light seconds away and having the planet loom large like a star.

Huh. The rear end end of the diamondback from that angle looks kind of like the front end of a snowspeeder. For a second I got really excited and thought they had added in a space wedge that didn't look like garbage.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I'm pretty sure I read the newsletter #120 somewhere in the interweb but it's not in my mailbox.Why? :chargeback: <---- how comes that we don't have a chargeback smiley? :arghfist:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Is there anywhere near Fuujin or Witchhaul that I can legally sell Leestian Evil Juice?

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

froody guy posted:

I'm pretty sure I read the newsletter #120 somewhere in the interweb but it's not in my mailbox.Why? :chargeback: <---- how comes that we don't have a chargeback smiley? :arghfist:

They said they're migrating to a new system, so newsletters won't be send our per email anymore.

Conskill
May 7, 2007

Okay, I'll avoid exploration until I'm ready to zone out to some Pink Floyd.

Currently I've been tooling around in a Type-6 freighter, waiting for the day I have enough credits to decently outfit an Asp Explorer. I'm enjoying trading and smuggling more than I can even remotely rationalize.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Libluini posted:

They said they're migrating to a new system, so newsletters won't be send our per email anymore.

:chargeback:

:saddowns:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

froody guy posted:

https://community.elitedangerous.com/newsletter120

quote:

Next week, the newsletter will be hosted on the Elite Dangerous Community Site rather than sent directly into your email inboxes. This is to allow us to move over to a new email service, and improve how we get the right news, information and Elite Dangerous deals directly to you! We'll let you know exactly when the newsletter has gone live, on our Twitter account, Facebook page and on the forum, so you don't have to worry about missing out.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Conskill posted:

Okay, I'll avoid exploration until I'm ready to zone out to some Pink Floyd.

Currently I've been tooling around in a Type-6 freighter, waiting for the day I have enough credits to decently outfit an Asp Explorer. I'm enjoying trading and smuggling more than I can even remotely rationalize.

The T6 is a pretty good explorer. Iirc its fuelscoping speed is only beat by the conda with the 96M 7A scoop :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

froody guy posted:

So it could be overused like :frontear:?

• Locked thread