Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

STIMSIS posted:

You goons are being hypocritical and are allowing someone who would rather make a nice package for Breitbart then update your OP.

I don't care what order he does them in, as long as he gets results.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

for real tho Derek really should spend some time adding to the OP, there's been some great posts on the topic and not every effortposter is as easy to notice as G0RF

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

STIMSIS posted:

Nu uh Derek wasn't yelled at. It was like a fart someone posted before. You goons are being hypocritical and are allowing someone who would rather make a nice package for Breitbart then update your OP. Derek shouldn't be the OP is all I'm saying. Laugh at what's funny. Condemn what's evil But do so fairly. If Ben should face this consequences I'm seeing people write about how come Derek gets to keep his position of OP? He doesn't even do the research, just uploads it to his Twitter. Why not update the OP if he's just gonna take other people's work and rewrite it? No, Derek is gonna write a book you see, can't be bothered to update the OP.

Yeah this thread does stretch 600 million miles, It would be nice if there was an OP who would document it on THIS SITE, instead of taking all the comedy gold generated here and posting it elsewhere.

What is with your crazy fixation of this thread's OP that barely anyone reads anyway?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

STIMSIS posted:

Nu uh Derek wasn't yelled at. It was like a fart someone posted before. You goons are being hypocritical and are allowing someone who would rather make a nice package for Breitbart then update your OP. Derek shouldn't be the OP is all I'm saying. Laugh at what's funny. Condemn what's evil But do so fairly. If Ben should face this consequences I'm seeing people write about how come Derek gets to keep his position of OP? He doesn't even do the research, just uploads it to his Twitter. Why not update the OP if he's just gonna take other people's work and rewrite it? No, Derek is gonna write a book you see, can't be bothered to update the OP.

Yeah this thread does stretch 600 million miles, It would be nice if there was an OP who would document it on THIS SITE, instead of taking all the comedy gold generated here and posting it elsewhere.

Someone repost that video of the hippo making GBS threads.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

STIMSIS posted:

It's not a show it's a webinar and it's not archived anywhere so how the gently caress can one talk about it? You can register for new ones but old ones disappear. It's hosted by Vox Day, that rear end in a top hat who tried to hijack the Hugo's so that minority and female writers weren't included for awards. Vox Day doesn't even like women and minorities as characters in sci-fi. yet here come the goons to protest on the cig forums in defense of women gamers WHICH I APPLAUD, but why not critize Derek who pisses all over these efforts by associating with Vox Day?

Goons stand up for women, fight against racism. Derek doesn't. He's a Money yet doesn't get talked about the same way. That's what I'm posting about this Sunday morning but people would rather call me loving retarded. No, I just have a well developed sense of principal. Something that is lacking in this thread.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said
When i was younger i had to have major surgery on my spine. This necessitated a 2 month hospital stay then like 2 months of literally not being able to get out of bed and then another 4 months of not really being able to leave the house. It failed me a college course, and lost me a lot of friends because we just drifted apart cause we could never really do anything. it was just me and an internet connection and an IRC channel and slowly coming to terms with the fact that i had a disability and i hated it and i was angry as hell at everything.

You know what i didn't do? i didn't turn into a loving racist homophobic pedophile. also i was 19, which y'know, still a teenager there. Ben, your excuse for this is absolutely loving bullshit and offends me on a deeply personal level. how loving dare you

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

literally a hog posted:

I just wanted to let you know I didnt read any of this.
It's amazing, my eyes just involuntarily slid right over it. Like an oil-slick on the road of the mind.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Azram Legion posted:

Also, I'm probably just jealous that I posted a long, rambling post about Ben and then everyone ignored it because of someone who is either a gimmick or in the middle of a breakdown.

I read the whole thing and it's not wrong.

It's a sad situation. But the star citizen saga is sickening and heartbreaking in many respects.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

like static OPs aren't a dealbreaker, but it does make it less convenient to get an updated digest of stuff that might be interesting

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what
https://www.instagram.com/p/2XA-L-ClMk/
https://www.instagram.com/p/7dqynXClNY/
https://www.instagram.com/p/5VXbMdClIW/

bens instagram is amazing when you see pics of him next to normal sized people

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Daztek posted:

What is with your crazy fixation of this thread's OP that barely anyone reads anyway?

He joined just as we were discussing whether G0RF should be OP so he probably thinks we give a poo poo about it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Chocobo posted:

Nah, there's really no misunderstanding or annoyance, I just found that quote funny years later and devoid of context especially since you were the one to reply. Even the initial post about being jumped was in jest. Nothing that happens on this forum will ever give me anything but joy, if I wasn't having fun I wouldn't be reading let alone posting.

Yeah, no harm meant on my part. If someone I don't think is an idiot posts something that seems a bit wrong to me, I can't stop myself trying to correct them. If I think they're an idiot or a Shitizen, I don't bother and just enjoy the post.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Stanko-Prussian posted:

When i was younger i had to have major surgery on my spine. This necessitated a 2 month hospital stay then like 2 months of literally not being able to get out of bed and then another 4 months of not really being able to leave the house. It failed me a college course, and lost me a lot of friends because we just drifted apart cause we could never really do anything. it was just me and an internet connection and an IRC channel and slowly coming to terms with the fact that i had a disability and i hated it and i was angry as hell at everything.

You know what i didn't do? i didn't turn into a loving racist homophobic pedophile. also i was 19, which y'know, still a teenager there. Ben, your excuse for this is absolutely loving bullshit and offends me on a deeply personal level. how loving dare you

drat dude you had lovely friends

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Daztek posted:

He is a pricipaled :reddit:or see

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

which one of you fucks is ben. i knew cheese chat was suspicious

https://www.instagram.com/p/QtIAGTClAB/

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

T.G. Xarbala posted:

like static OPs aren't a dealbreaker, but it does make it less convenient to get an updated digest of stuff that might be interesting

:justpost: people will usually do a little summary for ya

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

Turd Burglar posted:

vOv i couldn't do anything fun and i was a depressed angry lump, i wouldn't have wanted to hang out with me either

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

STIMSIS posted:

I haven't even mentioned CIG how can I be shilling for them? It's weird how I get associated with something just by being in the general vicinity (posting in a Star Citizen thread) yet Derek can have a nice warm conversation with a known racist and not have that brush up on his image. Come on everyone here makes fun of Money, that he's some kind of token, this and that. What about Derek? He's a token for the Gamergate movement and appears on their webinars yet Derek Smart doesn't get talked about like Money. Why not?

Hey and if supposedly Derek didn't find out this info on Ben and he's just hanging around being visible but not actually doing anything then he's Money all the more

I haven't read any posts where people were making fun of Money. In fact, I think the general opinion is that he seems like an alright guy who got reluctantly persuaded to appear on the shows (his job is Video Editor, so dunno what he's supposed to contribute).

What people ARE making fun of is the fact that he started appearing on the shows directly after the stuff about Sandi being a racist came out, and how much of a transparent attempt to refute the claims of racism it was.

Ponzi fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 17, 2016

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Waldo P Barnstormer posted:

I don't care what order he does them in, as long as he gets results.

What a strange bird

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

STIMSIS posted:

Maybe you could be the next OP, but we'd need to know you know enough about Star Citizen first. Have you backed the game at all?

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Stanko-Prussian posted:

vOv i couldn't do anything fun and i was a depressed angry lump, i wouldn't have wanted to hang out with me either

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

ZenMaster posted:

This is what Ben said about pledging SC in 2012:

lol I think he deleted that post. Can anyone confirm? I can't find anything from him on Oct 17, 2012.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Ponzi posted:

I haven't read any posts where people were making fun of Money. In fact, I think the general opinion is that he seems like an alright guy who got reluctantly persuaded to appear on the shows (his job is Video Editor, so dunno what he's supposed to contribute).

What people ARE making fun of is the fact that he started appearing on the shows directly after the stuff about Sandi being a racist came out, and how much of a transparent attempt to refute the claims of racism it was.

Yeah thanks for outing yourself as a racist STIMSIS, I'm glad to know CIG shills were laughing with Sandi at him. That's hosed up.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

MeLKoR posted:

lol I think he deleted that post. Can anyone confirm? I can't find anything from him on Oct 17, 2012.

http://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/rsi-pledge-thread.26443/page-4#post-380258

STIMSIS
Feb 27, 2016
Fallen Rib
Derek Smart is gonna write a book about Star Citizen. He's said so himself. But will he bother to update the OP? He's gonna take all your funny lines, your original research and then sell it back to you. Derek is leading a charge against racism after he's appeared on a racist's show. Goons fight for women gamers and Derek comes along and smacks everyone in the face by giving Vox Day the time of day. [url="http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/04/08/_2015_hugo_awards_how_the_sad_and_rabid_puppies_took_over_the_sci_fi_nominations.html" READ THIS, IT'S ABOUT HOW VOX DAY TRIED TO SUPPRESS WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN SCIENCE FICTION" [/url] I've included facts and links and everyone wants to glance over them, and be smug about it. You can follow your hate leader, but Derek will betray you. He makes lovely games, that is known, and he's gonna cash out with a book he writes from YOUR material. Not from what I wrote, I'm a retard, but all you funny people with your original research Derek is gonna sell it back to you and what will you say then?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Yeah thanks for outing yourself as a racist STIMSIS, I'm glad to know CIG shills were laughing with Sandi at him. That's hosed up.

We'll you're posting in the very same thread as the guy you're accusing of racism.

Makes you think.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

STIMSIS posted:

Derek Smart is gonna write a book about Star Citizen. He's said so himself. But will he bother to update the OP? He's gonna take all your funny lines, your original research and then sell it back to you. Derek is leading a charge against racism after he's appeared on a racist's show. Goons fight for women gamers and Derek comes along and smacks everyone in the face by giving Vox Day the time of day. [url="http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2015/04/08/_2015_hugo_awards_how_the_sad_and_rabid_puppies_took_over_the_sci_fi_nominations.html" READ THIS, IT'S ABOUT HOW VOX DAY TRIED TO SUPPRESS WOMEN AND MINORITIES IN SCIENCE FICTION" [/url] I've included facts and links and everyone wants to glance over them, and be smug about it. You can follow your hate leader, but Derek will betray you. He makes lovely games, that is known, and he's gonna cash out with a book he writes from YOUR material. Not from what I wrote, I'm a retard, but all you funny people with your original research Derek is gonna sell it back to you and what will you say then?

lol

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

STIMSIS posted:

I'm a retard

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

STIMSIS posted:

Derek Smart does not appear in this article.

You have a weird gimmick man, lol.

STIMSIS
Feb 27, 2016
Fallen Rib

AP posted:

Maybe you could be the next OP, but we'd need to know you know enough about Star Citizen first. Have you backed the game at all?

Not even a penny. I joined Somethingawful because I was all in on making fun of the scam. I don't like scams. So I don't like Derek Smart's SCAM OP, who doesn't update the OP but has time to write blogs elsewhere, make nice packages for Breitbart, and write a book with material generate by other people. Derek Smart is gonna Ryan Archer this thread into a book and what will you say then?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."

Mendrian posted:

We'll you're posting in the very same thread as the guy you're accusing of racism.

Makes you think.

Oh no! I'm the ~real bigot~ now too! :gonk:

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

STIMSIS posted:

Not even a penny. I joined Somethingawful because I was all in on making fun of the scam. I don't like scams. So I don't like Derek Smart's SCAM OP, who doesn't update the OP but has time to write blogs elsewhere, make nice packages for Breitbart, and write a book with material generate by other people. Derek Smart is gonna Ryan Archer this thread into a book and what will you say then?

lol

This is a gimmick account now, it has to be.

Glad of it, etc.

EDIT: poo poo man, are you Seraph?

Azram Legion
Jan 23, 2005

Drunken Poet Glory

Mendrian posted:

You could always try having a long gimmicky meltdown about it.

I like the way you think, but a meltdown sounds like too big a commitment for me right now. Could I do something less time-consuming that still gets me loads of negative attention? Or could the thread maybe just pretend I'm having a meltdown without requiring a lot of input from me? I have to do a lot of work today, and a meltdown sounds like a lot of effort to go through.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

To be fair: I think you have valid points about Ben. And most other people will agree with you. But he is part of a system that IS harming vulnerable people. Even though he''s probably psychologically trapped in this position and lacks the willpower to face the conequences of doing something against it. Wether or not the lack of willpower is his fault or not is a very philosphical thing to debate. Without knowing him personally and stuff.

I agree completely that CIG is taking advantage of vulnerable people, and that Ben carries some of that responsibility. My point was less that he doesn't deserve what is happening, and more how utterly pitiful his situation is. I have a really hard time not seeing how broken these people are, even as they hurt others. I am not trying to say that others should see it the same way, or that we should somehow excuse them from responsibility - but I think it is worthwhile reminding everyone that these are fundamentally dysfunctional people, stuck in a process that continually makes it harder for them to turn their lives around.

Sure, they pretend to be on top of the world, but in a thread like this, with all the things we've seen, I think more people should be able to see through that. They (Ben, Chris and Sandi) are scared, insecure individuals desperately trying to run from the truth, as the illusions they have built around them never seem to solidify, for reasons they are too dumb to understand. I think it is both more truthful and more hurtful at the same time to see them for what they are.

hakimashou posted:

It's a sad situation. But the star citizen saga is sickening and heartbreaking in many respects.

Star Citizen is to dreams what the Stimpire is to bodies.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

STIMSIS posted:

Update the OP with what? I'm sure Derek will listen to your suggestions.

Also I like that you joined back in February to make fun of this scam but only started posting today about something other than making fun of this scam

STIMSIS
Feb 27, 2016
Fallen Rib

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I'M A RACIST??!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NO I'M NOT!!! I don't like racism not even a little bit that's why I'm upset with Derek for appearing on Vox Day's webinar. All you people that are supposedly upset by racism, are calling me a racist or whatever, won't say the same about Derek because you're hypocrites. How much do you have invested in Derek Smart? I bet not a lot because he makes lovely games. Why not replace him as OP with someone who will actually do the job for a thread that I hear is 600 million miles long

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

STIMSIS posted:

impressive stretch but no wedding ring

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

Mendrian posted:

lol

This is a gimmick account now, it has to be.

Glad of it, etc.

EDIT: poo poo man, are you Seraph?

nah seraph doesn't even have $10 left to rereg lmao

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

STIMSIS posted:

It's not a show it's a webinar and it's not archived anywhere so how the gently caress can one talk about it? You can register for new ones but old ones disappear. It's hosted by Vox Day, that rear end in a top hat who tried to hijack the Hugo's so that minority and female writers weren't included for awards. Vox Day doesn't even like women and minorities as characters in sci-fi. yet here come the goons to protest on the cig forums in defense of women gamers WHICH I APPLAUD, but why not critize Derek who pisses all over these efforts by associating with Vox Day?

Goons stand up for women, fight against racism. Derek doesn't. He's a Money yet doesn't get talked about the same way. That's what I'm posting about this Sunday morning but people would rather call me loving retarded. No, I just have a well developed sense of principal. Something that is lacking in this thread.

Dude.....
Derek was only 40 when he appeared on that. Just a kid really.
I bet he looks back now and cringes a bit , but who hasn't done dumb stuff when only a naive young shaver.
I think it's just a storm in a tea cup

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

hakimashou posted:

Yes Ben's pitiable, but he's also a petty jerk who's never really changed from his wcnews days, and when the chips are down he's shown that his gut sympathies were always with the sort of people that made the SC community as toxic as it is.

Hell, even his apology for his old website had some petty and unnecessary barbs, not to mention blame shifting. It speaks to the quality of his character that even though it's clear that he's in a bad way and suffering, he hasn't really internalized the growth as a person he claims to have undergone. He's still even holding onto that horrible site as though he's proud of it. He's unwilling to even make a symbolic gesture of putting it behind him and expunging that from his history.

Also I agree about :justpost:ing but there was talk about making a real journalistic undertaking like what goons did with PGI and the MWO timeline, and I figure every little bit would help you know?

Azram Legion posted:

Sure, they pretend to be on top of the world, but in a thread like this, with all the things we've seen, I think more people should be able to see through that. They (Ben, Chris and Sandi) are scared, insecure individuals desperately trying to run from the truth, as the illusions they have built around them never seem to solidify, for reasons they are too dumb to understand. I think it is both more truthful and more hurtful at the same time to see them for what they are.

Star Citizen is to dreams what the Stimpire is to bodies.

oof!

:iceburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

EightAce posted:

Dude.....
Derek was only 40 when he appeared on that. Just a kid really.
I bet he looks back now and cringes a bit , but who hasn't done dumb stuff when only a naive young shaver.
I think it's just a storm in a tea cup

:same:

• Locked thread