Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I didn't even realize that Oscar Isaac was in Drive until a second viewing last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

PBS Newshour posted:

Drive is something I felt I should like watching it and enjoy a lot of parts of, but afterwards I was like yeah this movie does nothing for me.

I mean, I'm glad it was influential for a lot of creative people but, yeah, "this movie does nothing for me" was pretty much my take.

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
The Puaher movies were pretty dope.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLEaPB9UBWM

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Nice pun.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Bronson is also great
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4PyMY--RnU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Gonz posted:

I didn't even realize that Oscar Isaac was in Drive until a second viewing last year.

He's one of those actors who manages to look like a totally different person between roles. I still can't reconcile that it was the same man in Ex Machina and Force Awakens filmed in the same year.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 17, 2016

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer
Bronson was very very good but yeah Drive was meh and Only God Forgives should have been a lot more fun for how stupid it was

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Is the whole trilogy worth checking out? They're the only Refn movies I've never seen (holy poo poo I had no idea Fear X was Hubert Selby Jr and Refn working together, RIP)

Beaucoup Cuckoo
Apr 10, 2008

Uncle Seymour wants you to eat your beans.
I haven't seen them for a while. I remember liking the first a lot and the third a lot. The second dragged a little bit.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Why the gently caress are we talking about Only God Forgives (which is cool) when we could be making fun of Kevin Spacey and Jennifer Garner for starring in a movie about a talking cat? Jesus gently caress Spacey, what happened?

Death By The Blues posted:

Yea he is a deeply broken and misadjusted person. Which is why I want to see a Refn Superman

A bunch of people are really upset that the most recent Superman movie has him feeling mildly conflicted, if they let Ryan Gosling play Superman in a NWR picture I think they'd poo poo their entire heads out of their asses. Or, you know, think it's awesome and miss the point entirely.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I remember K-Pax. Kevin Spacey never had dignity to lose.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Drive was loving stellar as was Only God Forgives

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

I would watch a NWR Batman v Superman rather than what we got from Zach snyder

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I would watch a NWR Batman v Superman rather than what we got from Zach snyder

I'd watch a Michael Bay BvS rather than what we got from Zack Snyder.
(But not a Uwe Boll BvS)

Superman: "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!"

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

An idiot space alien obsessed with law and order in his autistic way as opposed to the faux undeserved Christ figure, sign me the gently caress up

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I didn't like Drive. I really wanted to, but somehow it didn't work for me and I hated Only God Forgives. I'm still going to see Neon Demon because there has to be something in Refn's direction that makes people go crazy for his stuff.

They like flashy lights and pretty colours backed with a good soundtrack.

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Jedit posted:

They like flashy lights and pretty colours backed with a good soundtrack.

I do like those things. The Pusher trilogy doesn't really have them, but if you want to watch desperate criminals gently caress up they're good movies imo. Valhalla rising hasn't been mentioned yet, thats good as well.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I'd watch a Michael Bay BvS rather than what we got from Zack Snyder.
(But not a Uwe Boll BvS)

Superman: "GIVE ME YOUR FACE!"

Transformers Age of Extinction is unironically better than BvS because it has giant robot dinosaurs in it.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Yoshifan823 posted:

Why the gently caress are we talking about Only God Forgives (which is cool) when we could be making fun of Kevin Spacey and Jennifer Garner for starring in a movie about a talking cat? Jesus gently caress Spacey, what happened?

A bunch of people are really upset that the most recent Superman movie has him feeling mildly conflicted, if they let Ryan Gosling play Superman in a NWR picture I think they'd poo poo their entire heads out of their asses. Or, you know, think it's awesome and miss the point entirely.

Maybe Spacey got a castle he needs to pay off? Besides, half of his role is just recording lines in a booth, it's an easy payday that let him goof off.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Is the whole trilogy worth checking out? They're the only Refn movies I've never seen (holy poo poo I had no idea Fear X was Hubert Selby Jr and Refn working together, RIP)

They are all very different and good movies but you likely won't have fun watching them. They have the Refn spirit but not the technical mastery.
The first Pusher is probably the most conventionally '"enjoyable" movie, the second one is a fantastically acted drama and the third one is :catstare:.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Syncopated posted:

I do like those things. The Pusher trilogy doesn't really have them, but if you want to watch desperate criminals gently caress up they're good movies imo. Valhalla rising hasn't been mentioned yet, thats good as well.

Refn hasn't let me down yet. All his movies are fuckin' Top Tier for me

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Deakul posted:

Transformers Age of Extinction is unironically better than BvS because it has giant robot dinosaurs in it.

For like 2 minutes of screentime

The only good thing about T:AoE is Gun Face. I want to watch a movie about the space adventures of robot assassin gun face.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Syncopated posted:

I 've liked Bronson the most out of his stuff. I have the same feeling toward Refn as I do over the Coens. They are fantastic filmmakers, but I just can't connect with their movies somehow. Still I keep trying because I must be missing something? With the Coens at least I've liked Raising Arizona, True Grit, and Hail Ceasar. With Refn, just Bronson so far. I'll probably see Neon Demon, but I have no idea whether I'll be pissed at myself afterwards (like after Only God Forgives).

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Febreeze posted:

For like 2 minutes of screentime

The only good thing about T:AoE is Gun Face. I want to watch a movie about the space adventures of robot assassin gun face.

I'd contest this is part of a larger success of the movie which is that it's the first in the series in which aliens seemed alien. It's actually a better movie than the second and third entries, tho that is not praise.

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog

TheFallenEvincar posted:

I think they are great and my favourite of the three is the second one, Mads Mikkelsen is just so great in it.

My favourite Refn movie is Valhalla Rising, it is just nuts and, again, Mikkelsen is excellent.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Syncopated posted:

I do like those things. The Pusher trilogy doesn't really have them,

They totally do though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8svIExZz6Dw

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Seems like I am due a rewatch.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yoshifan823 posted:

Jesus gently caress Spacey, what happened?

Spacey's true passion has always been the theater; almost everything he does in film and television -- even House of Cards -- he does in order to finance stage productions.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

cvnvcnv posted:

I'd contest this is part of a larger success of the movie which is that it's the first in the series in which aliens seemed alien. It's actually a better movie than the second and third entries, tho that is not praise.

Some of the robots in the 2nd movie were pretty alien too. Especially then they show the baby Tranformers in their incubation vats.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Spacey's true passion has always been the theater; almost everything he does in film and television -- even House of Cards -- he does in order to finance stage productions.

That sounds so much nicer than "everything he does in film and television he does in order to pay back the initial investors of the Tribeca Grill."

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That sounds so much nicer than "everything he does in film and television he does in order to pay back the initial investors of the Tribeca Grill."

Who's the one who got caught up in that, De Niro?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Google tells me Tribeca Grill is a NYC restaurant, was there some controversy around it? Besides the regular drama about trying to open a restaurant in NYC.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

Who's the one who got caught up in that, De Niro?

Yeah, haha. So tawdry.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Drive is one of the few movies where the soundtrack made me jump up when watching and check the music out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV_3Dpw-BRY

Also the movie kicks so much rear end.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

effectual posted:

Maybe Spacey got a castle he needs to pay off? Besides, half of his role is just recording lines in a booth, it's an easy payday that let him goof off.

This is it, kids movies are easy money and they make loving bank most the time.

Zootopia is the highest grossing film of the year at $890 million worldwide.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

I don't think it really makes sense to compare the potential box office of a major Disney movie with a A Talking Cat?!? 2.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

A True Jar Jar Fan posted:

I don't think it really makes sense to compare the potential box office of a major Disney movie with a A Talking Cat?!? 2.

It's just trailer 2, not a sequel. The first trailer looked a lot worse than this one, which is really churching it up.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Arm yourself/Because no one else here will save you/They odds will betray you/And I will..... whoops, wrong spy series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeOT7Oc-Mcc

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I wish they would stop doing teasers for the trailer announcements for the teaser trailers and just kill themselves instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I wish they did teasers for tesers for trailers I can't handle it when they tell me I'm going to be excited for something I need a little forewarning about that.

• Locked thread