Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
he was famous enough by then editors wouldn't change his gospel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Early in Duma Key the one-armed protagonist pushes his thumbs, plural, into a doll's eyes.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Can someone link the 11/22/63 tviv thread? I can't seem to find it.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

remigious posted:

Can someone link the 11/22/63 tviv thread? I can't seem to find it.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3764462

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Thank you!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Early in Duma Key the one-armed protagonist pushes his thumbs, plural, into a doll's eyes.

polydactyly is a real disease don't erase

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Whelp, looks like it is actually happening this time as Stephen King has announced that the Idris Elba/Matthew McConaughey Dark Tower movie has begun filming.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
Guess I have to finally read The Gunslinger.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

A recurring Thing in Duma Key is how he occasionally grows a spooky ghost arm.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this? posted:

Whelp, looks like it is actually happening this time as Stephen King has announced that the Idris Elba/Matthew McConaughey Dark Tower movie has begun filming.

Please don't be poo poo.

McConaughey is going to make an amazing Walkin' Dude.

Advice
Feb 17, 2007

Je veux ton amour
Et je veux ton revanche
Je veux ton amour
I don't wanna be friends
OH MAN I just saw poster, Jealous Cow for the first time and the thread title is no longer a mystery to me.

Content: is there anyone, even a small minority, who didn't think the Dark Tower got awful towards the end, or is this a universally accepted issue?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Disgusting Coward posted:

A recurring Thing in Duma Key is how he occasionally grows a spooky ghost arm.

Nah, it wasn't the whole island phantom limb thing, it was at the therapist's office at the beginning of the book before he moved to florida.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Forearmshadowing?

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

Advice posted:

OH MAN I just saw poster, Jealous Cow for the first time and the thread title is no longer a mystery to me.

Content: is there anyone, even a small minority, who didn't think the Dark Tower got awful towards the end, or is this a universally accepted issue?

I have a few minor issues with the last few books, but overall really liked them. Especially Book 7.

Haven't read them in almost 10 years though.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Advice posted:

i have no problems with the latter books

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Many pieces, most of them insignificant, of the last three books were bad. Some pieces were actually quite good.

And I'll defend the ending to my grave. It was the only way he could have ended it, he planned to do it that way for years if not decades, it was fully consistent with Roland's arc, and anyone who thought he was going to destroy/change/fix the Dark Tower is retarded and wasn't paying attention to any of it.

Come at me bro.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

time loops are really cliched and the way he presented it also was lovely and annoying

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

corn in the bible posted:

time loops are really cliched and the way he presented it also was lovely and annoying

I don't think too many people have problems with the actual ending, the problems lie with King warning readers not to continue, and before that the half rear end Crimson King showdown

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

Medullah posted:

I don't think too many people have problems with the actual ending, the problems lie with King warning readers not to continue, and before that the half rear end Crimson King showdown

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

mdemone posted:

Many pieces, most of them insignificant, of the last three books were bad. Some pieces were actually quite good.

And I'll defend the ending to my grave. It was the only way he could have ended it, he planned to do it that way for years if not decades, it was fully consistent with Roland's arc, and anyone who thought he was going to destroy/change/fix the Dark Tower is retarded and wasn't paying attention to any of it.

You really hit the nail on the head imo, although I think that the bad pieces of the last two books were far more than insignificant. However I agree - the actual ending was brilliant, enough that I feel it was clearly planned from the start (at least relatively close to it) compared to some of the other contentious bits

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

The only issues I had with the end of the series were the villains' deaths, which were by and large extremely anticlimactic. I don't have a problem with anything else.

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

Jia posted:

The only issues I had with the end of the series were the villains' deaths, which were by and large extremely anticlimactic. I don't have a problem with anything else.

I think King loves the idea of an anticlimactic villain death - he certainly seems to subscribe to the Tolkienian ideal that "evil degrades and ultimately destroys itself" - but I think he often has difficulty reconciling that with making a legitimate payoff from buildup. Stephen King builds these villains up over the length of seven large books (well six large ones and The Gunslinger) only to give us a bit of a wet fart for their showdown. I think anticlimax after that kind of buildup can be done but I think it requires more care and precision than King generally shows.

All of this can apply to The Stand, too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DoctorG0nzo posted:

I think King loves the idea of an anticlimactic villain death - he certainly seems to subscribe to the Tolkienian ideal that "evil degrades and ultimately destroys itself" - but I think he often has difficulty reconciling that with making a legitimate payoff from buildup. Stephen King builds these villains up over the length of seven large books (well six large ones and The Gunslinger) only to give us a bit of a wet fart for their showdown. I think anticlimax after that kind of buildup can be done but I think it requires more care and precision than King generally shows.

All of this can apply to The Stand, too.

I don't know what you're talking about, that was a fantastic finale.

....oh.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the end of the stand is a tour de force

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

more like tour de farce

I love King's short stories but he is incapable of writing a good ending

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I literally can't remember anything from song of Susannah. I must have blocked it out.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Medullah posted:

The actual ending directly contradicts the precepts of the multiverse explained in multiple places throughout the books.

The Crimson King thing was awful. The Flagg/Mordred thing was awful. The self-insertion was awful. Dandelo was awful. The "happy" ending prior to the actual ending was *beyond* awful, it was offensive.

There were a lot of good things in those books, probably enough to make reading them still worthwhile, but the ending was awful.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

if stephen king dies then the universe will end because he is the GREATEST WRITER EVER

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

more like tour de farce

I love King's short stories but he is incapable of writing a good ending

I liked 11/22/63's ending. Salem's Lot had a good one. But yeah, most of his endings are dumb.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I liked 11/22/63's ending. Salem's Lot had a good one. But yeah, most of his endings are dumb.

I like the end to Joyland as well as Cujo, The Shining, Pet Semetary, Misery, Carrie, Dead Zone and a few others. I don't even mind the ending of The Stand. I know the miniseries took the hand of God thing literally, but it seemed to me the intention of the book was that characters interpreted the event at the end differently.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

if stephen king dies then the universe will end because he is the GREATEST WRITER EVER

thats a gross misinterpretation

DoctorG0nzo
May 28, 2014

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Salem's Lot's ending was so loving badass, and really the only way King could've done it.

Loved Pet Sematary's ending too, although I honestly think that as a whole is King's best work

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Running Man's ending sure was something.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

Running Man's ending sure was something.

An ending so good it became real life.

That joke is in bad taste. But it is a good ending.

I also thought Insomnia's ending was great, but Insomnia seems to be unpopular. I like it a lot.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I finished Just After Sunset

I like how some of the stories are ambiguous

like in "A Very Tight Place" they never explain whether Curtis Johnson is actually a gay witch or not

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Supposedly he had a completely different ending originally for 11/22/63 but Joe suggested he redo it with what we got.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Phanatic posted:

The Crimson King thing was awful. The Flagg/Mordred thing was awful. The self-insertion was awful. Dandelo was awful. The "happy" ending prior to the actual ending was *beyond* awful, it was offensive.

I mostly agree with you, although I liked at least the idea of Dandelo and the semi-connection with It. His jokes weren't very funny though, and I really hated Patrick Danville and the role he played for the rest of the book. Anyway even though I think most of us can agree on what you said, I still think there were enough good parts in the last few books to overlook at least some of it.

I kind of like the ending, but I feel like it would have been much more effectively and less panned if he had just made it the ending, no "don't read this guys its really bad lol", no stupid happy alternate ending. I can see why he thought people wouldn't like it, but for such a big story it just felt a little insulting that that's what he went with. He should have just committed to the ending he thought is the best, there's no point trying to please everyone.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Supposedly he had a completely different ending originally for 11/22/63 but Joe suggested he redo it with what we got.

The original ending is available to read:

http://stephenking.com/other/112263/112263.html

:smith:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

ExtraNoise posted:

The original ending is available to read:

http://stephenking.com/other/112263/112263.html

:smith:

For some reason, this won't open for me. Anyone care to copy/paste it for me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug
Here you go.