Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malek Deneith
Jun 1, 2011

Captn Kurp posted:

I haven't actually used it, the quote is from the strategy guide because I'm gay and bought it. I can't imagine they would publish information like that without confirming it.
Considering said guide supposedly mentions armor upgrades I wouldn't bet my life on the information in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I really wish the stupid weapon level tier gating didn't exist. I get that twinks are apparently super serious business, but it just seems like it's gonna splinter people really hard after a while.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
e: guess not

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 17, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Malek Deneith posted:

Considering said guide supposedly mentions armor upgrades I wouldn't bet my life on the information in it.

I don't know what you're talking about, the guide is a very reliable source of infor

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
So I found in irithyll greirats ashes. I take it he's dead now?

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jose posted:

So I found in irithyll greirats ashes. I take it he's dead now?

Sure is.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Yardbomb posted:

I really wish the stupid weapon level tier gating didn't exist. I get that twinks are apparently super serious business, but it just seems like it's gonna splinter people really hard after a while.

Until NG+...

Which was the problem with Gravelord...

From really doesn't learn from their mistakes, eh?

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD

Tallgeese posted:

Until NG+...

Which was the problem with Gravelord...

From really doesn't learn from their mistakes, eh?

I mean it had it's own issues but dark souls 2 fixed all of this stuff and it's really frustrating that they took such a step back.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....
For anyone having trouble being summoned as a Blue Sentinel or Watchdog of Farron try forwarding the ports listed here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4bgwkm/a_new_info_in_regard_to_matchmaking/

I wasn't getting summoned for either over about 12 hours of play time. I forwarded my ports yesterday and got 6 summons as a Sentinel in an hour. No summons as a Watchdog, but I'm pretty sure I'm far outside the level range for that now (47, +4).

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Work Friend Keven posted:

I mean it had it's own issues but dark souls 2 fixed all of this stuff and it's really frustrating that they took such a step back.

B-Team?

Clearly that stands for Best Team, dohoho.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Mazerunner posted:

Here

you

mother

fuckin

go

Obvs. super lovely and not to scale, and doesn't include items but that's the general layout!

Can I assume the orange dots are the flames and the stars of David are bonfire locations?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

what sort of shameful invader doesn't wave at you when they find you

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Jose posted:

what sort of shameful invader doesn't wave at you when they find you

I throw HELLO! carvings personally, that blown out shitcan voice is a thing of beauty.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

i waved and threw the hello thing and got nothing in return. killed them though

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Whelp, I hosed up.

Found Anri in the Church, and then killed a hidden Assassin sent by Yuria hiding in the corner. Killed the Pontiff and went back to Firelink, Yuria refused to deal with me, so I killed her to get her ash rather than lose out on a merchant. Got a swank sword from her, though.

I'm, guessing I can't get the secret ending now and should just cure my Hollowing, huh?

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
You're supposed to throw "Help me!" to make them hesitate and reconsider their actions in life, which gives the bluecop more time to arrive.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Ah man, the linear nature of the game really sucks when it means I can't put off the Catacombs for 20 hours like in DS1. :(

No joke it's kind of a bummer how much of a straight line it's been so far, with a few exceptions. DS2 was pretty heavily criticised for its linearity but at least that gave you two or three long, linear paths to go down.

I do like that I've been consistently travelling downwards throughout though. DS1 had about four different paths that went an equal distance downwards from the starting point, DS2 had one fairly long one, but this has been like a nice, long, gradual descent.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 17, 2016

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

At 34 hollowing I appear to only be able to summon one guy, anywhere. :(

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is there any way or place to get Titanite chunks before Aldritch?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Fuzz posted:

Whelp, I hosed up.

Found Anri in the Church, and then killed a hidden Assassin sent by Yuria hiding in the corner. Killed the Pontiff and went back to Firelink, Yuria refused to deal with me, so I killed her to get her ash rather than lose out on a merchant. Got a swank sword from her, though.

I'm, guessing I can't get the secret ending now and should just cure my Hollowing, huh?

Hollowing has no negative effect on you except for one weapon getting stronger if used against you in pvp. It's beneficial since it makes Hollowed weapons give you more luck and therefore have higher damage since they scale with luck.

You look like poo poo though. :shrug:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

voltcatfish posted:

You can get one from the crow for a black firebomb

e: why do you guys both have pixel anime avatars

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

There's like six of them scattered in various places that I'm aware of before Aldritch, and then they show up extremely commonly in a couple of optional areas after you beat the boss who shows up after getting the three cinders.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ghostter posted:

i would have done that if i could tell the difference between the clones and the real one

The clones cast blue spells, the real one casts purple spells, I'm pretty sure.

Exodee posted:

Yeah, poise DOES seem to work with some weapons. It's just that regular greatswords (the class, not the weapon named Greatsword) seem to have way too few "poise-frames". I've been using the Mirrah/Hollowslayer greatsword 2-handed and I can reliably poise through most enemy attacks.

Wait, so he DOES continue to drop them? Someone earlier in the thread said you could only get one guaranteed drop from him, but that changes everything.

Poise definitely works, it just only kicks in during attacks, and you need a ton of it to notice anything on weapons that don't have a lot of native hyperarmor frames.

As for the Refined Gems, I have no idea what happened. I killed him at the start and got a gem, then assumed he didn't respawn and never went back. Then I came back while mid-Irithyll to see if I could get another one and he immediately dropped one for me, along with his sword. My guesses are either he guarantees one drop and can randomly drop after that, and I got really lucky, or his guaranteed drop "refreshes" every so often? I have no idea.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The Shortest Path posted:

There's like six of them scattered in various places that I'm aware of before ------, and then they show up extremely commonly in a couple of optional areas after you beat the boss who shows up after getting the three cinders.

turtlecrunch posted:

Thanks! I'm gonna go do some hunting to get my sword to +7 or +8 before trying him again

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

turtlecrunch posted:

The pixel anime avatars are all from the Fire Emblem: Fates thread.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

turtlecrunch posted:

I keep getting them occasionally mixed up despite not looking actually similar. Baal and Ruggington too. :arghfist:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there something I can do in that room that is up the staircase by the Ithyll Bonfire?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

NESguerilla posted:

Is there something I can do in that room that is up the staircase by the Ithyll Bonfire?

It's the other end of a shortcut.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

voltcatfish posted:

Thanks! I'm gonna go do some hunting to get my sword to +7 or +8 before trying him again

Irithyll Dungeon and Smouldering Lake are your best bet, +8 might not be possible though since it takes 2+4 and I'm not sure if there are quite that many.

NESguerilla posted:

There's an area later on where you drop down to get some items and that's where it ends up leaving you.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think the hardest possible challenge run for me would be a "no bows" run. Bows are so loving useful this time.

Optiquest
Feb 8, 2004

Is there a play through guide for all the npc quests? Don't want to skip back and forth between each wiki page.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
By the way, if you're going for a 40 Strength build, let me recommend a Heavy Dark Sword +10. Decent reach, packs a nice punch, and swings faster than the Claymore with a little less stamina loss, so you get 5-7 swings on a full tank of stamina. I've been using it since the Abyss Walkers and it's kept up marvelously.

The only time it doesn't seem so hot is when I have to fight oily chaos snake hollows. for the life of me I cannot seem to get their timing down without using a fire weapon

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

This might be a stupid "how did I miss that" question but I can't get the crow trading to work. I keep dropping stuff in the nest but I won't get anything in return. Do I have to leave and come back? (yes they were the right items).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I'm nominating Boulder Heave for spell/pyromancy of the year 2016.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I need some general game advice, please.

I'm level 25 and I've beaten the Abyss Watchers and I've opened both doors in the Cleansing Chapel. The thing is it feels like everything at this point 2 shots me turning regular enemies into boss fights basically which is starting to get annoying. Am I under leveled? All I have is my piddly Uchi +3 and I'm kinda regretting making a Dex build to start off with because it just seems unimpressive really.

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
anyone with a magic build beat it or get to end game? thoughts? there are some neat looking spells but i'd want to be able to solo the game still

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Harrow posted:

I think the hardest possible challenge run for me would be a "no bows" run. Bows are so loving useful this time.

I think I used a bow twice to get two hanging items in undead settlement. Where did you find bows useful?

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, the guide is a very reliable source of infor

What am I looking at here? What is inaccurate about this because I know gently caress-all about stats never mind luck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Harrow posted:

Yeah there are quite a few areas that would be extremely hard if you couldn't bait enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

double nine posted:

What am I looking at here? What is inaccurate about this because I know gently caress-all about stats never mind luck.

"more important for most first time players and fir"