Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gmaz
Apr 3, 2011

New DLC for Aoe2 is out: Dynasties of India

El Hefe posted:

Boring as gently caress race

Fell asleep halfway through
I like Pastor as much as the next guy and we all miss his presence in F1, but you have to get over it already

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I just clocked something, when the wings were changed on lap 2 Lewis was one place behind Kimi but ended up finishing two places and 12.36 seconds behind him.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Eat all the poo poo Lewis. Go everyone else.

That is all.

runoverbobby
Apr 21, 2007

Fighting like beavers.

learnincurve posted:

The race was loving awesome from start to end and the only people who will say it wasn't are those that are only interested in wheel to wheel racing at the front, while they are playing the video game.

The first 2/3 was excellent, but surely it's fair to compare the racing to the past two grands prix? Haas, Renault, Sauber and MRT weren't particularly competitive this round. Most of the action actually took place toward the front in this race, owing to Lewis's qualifying struggle and Vettel's collision. Once they worked their way into the points, there weren't as many midfield battles as in Bahrain or Melbourne.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
It was an extremely bad race

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The last 1/3 was when the three tyre choice strategy came into play and there was also a lot of "will he overtake/will he catch him". People who have an idolised version of what they think F1 should be like tend to forget, or don't realise, that F1 is the motorsport equivalent of chess. The vast majority of f1 races have had bugger all wheel to wheel action or overtakes and yet the sport has survived...

edit: I got up at 5:15am on a Sunday morning :(.

learnincurve fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 17, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
On a scale of 1 to Spain 2012 I give this race a solid 1 for sure.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Alain Post posted:

I don't like Kyvat but I'm rooting for him because them kicking out Daniel Ricciardo would be hilarious

I still think Kyvat is gone next year. He hasn't done enough IMO.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
The one who's gone is Button, got beaten by a rookie last race and in this one got beaten by a dead man.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

El Hefe posted:

The one who's gone is Button, got beaten by a rookie last race and in this one got beaten by a dead man.

FartingBedpost
Aug 24, 2015

The beginning was chaos, and Hamilton failing to overtake Massa in the last 10 laps or so while everyone else did it with ease was funny.

Otherwise I thought the race was okay.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I bought my Taylor Swift tickets for October, now I just need a shirt that says I'm a Haasman.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 17, 2016

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

runoverbobby posted:

The first 2/3 was excellent, but surely it's fair to compare the racing to the past two grands prix? Haas, Renault, Sauber and MRT weren't particularly competitive this round.

I think it's the same reason the RBR was very good on the track: slow corners. RBR will spend a lot of money to get that aero tweaked but the others do nto have the money.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

El Hefe posted:

Yeah the man who beat Alonso last season is in trouble. :rolleyes:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
that piece of poo poo car was barely able to finish a race

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

So imagine what he's going to do with this year's car.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I don't have to imagine, I'm seeing it and he's been poo poo.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

button and alonso can't agree on if the car is too slow or if they just got the strategy wrong today but the truth is that they're both right

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

They are still very much optimizing the potential of that car through set up parameters. I'm excited to see how fast it is come the European rounds.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

they are not far behind williams and force india and will certainly outdevelop them both

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

If they can beat Red Bull by the end of the year I'll be fairly confident going into 2017.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
McLaren will comfortably beat Ferrari by the end of the year imho, no one develops cars like the boys at Woking after all.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

if only i had such confidence in the boys at sakura

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

be nice wicka posted:

button and alonso can't agree on if the car is too slow or if they just got the strategy wrong today but the truth is that they're both right

It doesn't look that lovely anymore but at the same time the midfield is so tight that I don't think points are going to be a regular thing until Honda provides a more powerful engine.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Overheard while watching the indycar long beach grand prix: "formula 1 veteran max Chilton"

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Max Chilton owns.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
How gross is it that Maldonado will always be preceded by 'race winner'

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nsaP posted:

Not at all.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

nsaP posted:

Not as gross as YOUR FACE!!!

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Diet Crack posted:

Eat all the poo poo Lewis. Go everyone else.

That is all.

Just got done catching up, I'd like to second this. I'll enjoy any race Lewis doesn't end up on the podium.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Alain Post posted:

Lmao. gently caress Red Bull

Red Bull are a blight on F1, the only good person to come out of Red Bull is Sebastian Vettel and now he's at the best team I dont see any reason for red bull to be in F1 anymore.

You Am I posted:

Poor Are Dan :smith:

Daniel whatever his name is sucks rear end and I hope lovely team Red Bull kicks him out and he renames his twitter to @aussieshit

Alain Post posted:

I don't like Kyvat but I'm rooting for him because them kicking out Daniel Ricciardo would be hilarious

Agreed

El Hefe posted:

Max Chilton owns.

He does.

nsaP posted:

Maldonado owns and I cant wait for him to come back to F1

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Has any team ever climbed from one tier to the next during the course of a season?

I keep hearing how McLaren are expected to 'progress' but they won't. They are firmly planted in the mid-field and that's where they'll be come November.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I was waiting to watch the race until this evening and avoided the internet and Twitter and everything to avoid getting spoiled. Then I turned on NBC Sports at like 3:55 to see the start of the Indy race and they were playing the loving national anthems and showing the flags on the podium for a race that finished 12 hours earlier and owned the poo poo out of me in under a second.

The actual race was pretty good I guess. Nico is already looking bored of winning. Botas really sucks.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kilmers Elbow posted:

Has any team ever climbed from one tier to the next during the course of a season?

I keep hearing how McLaren are expected to 'progress' but they won't. They are firmly planted in the mid-field and that's where they'll be come November.

Depending on the progress they make I think they will be able to sneak in a Podium if they are lucky. I can't see 'em finishing any higher than 6th though...

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Also it is funny that every car that has threatened Nico all year has had some part of it explode

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Kilmers Elbow posted:

mclaren in 2009

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

enri posted:

Just got done catching up, I'd like to second this. I'll enjoy any race Lewis doesn't end up on the podium.

I can't loving stand listening to Nico on the podium, he just sounds so loving fake.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
This is only the start of the Nico-reich, better get used to it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

I'd be ok with him being WDC this year if he continues to capitalize on the car and Hamilton continues to suck. It'd be nice to see a genuine new WDC. It's been 6 years since Jenson.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

track day bro! posted:

Daniel whatever his name is sucks rear end and I hope lovely team Red Bull kicks him out and he renames his twitter to @aussieshit

• Locked thread