Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

STIMSIS posted:

I'm just using the language of Vox Day to prove a point. I call people people and I respect all people. Derek doesn't. He hangs out with racists.

Fair enough. I dislike Vox Day every bit as much as the next guy. The thing is, myself being mostly white (I don't know what the ethnic makeup of this thread is, so I'm just going to speak for myself), it really isn't my place to chastise Derek (a person of colour) for associating with Vox Day (a person who considers people of colour fundamentally inferior). What I can, perhaps should and certainly did do - along with numerous posters ITT - is signal to Derek that it's a terrible idea and likely to make his life worse. Judging by Derek's character I find it absurd to suppose that he shares Vox Day's ridiculous view of him as genetically inferior, so I honestly don't see how you can make out Derek to be the morally objectionable one in this case.

I'm aware that the Gamergate thing also exists, but that is off-limits here so let's not go into that

EDIT:

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

literally a hog posted:

I just wanted to let you know I didnt read any of this.

Wait a minute, how did you know NOT to read it unless you read some of it?

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Xaerael posted:

I don't think you're entirely mentally stable. Is your name Ben Lesnick?

Well it isn't Ben but hey.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Mendrian posted:

Listen, realtalk time: I have no idea what you're talking about. You're rambling.

So you're saying Derek once shared a digital stage with a known racist and therefore shares all views and connections with said racist (Vox Day)?

If you can't tell me what he said how am I supposed to make a snap judgement. Think man!

EDIT: Once again, being near somebody with bad views doesn't automatically infect you with bad views. I have no idea who Vox Day is. I have no idea what his webinars are like. I have no idea how being in one of those webinars paints a person. If every webinar is titled like, "If you have tits you can't be a gamer" than yeah maybe but I need deets or you're just using this as a platform to air your laundry.

HA HA! Ben is not a gamer, Ben is not a gamerrrrr....

Richie Stardust
Mar 30, 2016
This thread just took it to the next level. DAAAYUM!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Please keep in mind that STIMSIS's job this weekend is to derail the Ben-Ghazi discussion while CIG musters a defense. I wouldn't call his attempts successful per se, but I must say I'm surprised it made the dent it did. His sudden appearance and laser-like focus on a very strange and specific topic is proof positive that we hit CIG's central nervous system - let's keep up the acupressure.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Wikkheiser posted:

I do think the gaming media has a huge institutional culture problem. There are obvious conflict-of-interest problems when game companies are advertising in game magazines.

I don't think, a few instances aside, it's even really that which is the big problem. The real issue with the gaming press is that, like other enthusiast press, there is revolving door between the industry and the press which covers the industry - you only have to look at the number of video game press which end up working as consultants for publishers, in production or in PR or have half there xbox friends list be games industry people. If you have half a thought of jumping job some time in the future you aren't going to dob in your mates.

Which is ties back into Games Press only going after soft targets: kicking those which are already down or the consensus has given the OK to kick.

Io_ fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 17, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Have anybody picked up the Ben-ghazi story yet? Any activists or anything? Where is the pressure?

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Jinkies! Looks like we've got a mystery on our hands.

Scruffpuff posted:

Please keep in mind that STIMSIS's job this weekend is to derail the Ben-Ghazi discussion while CIG musters a defense. I wouldn't call his attempts successful per se, but I must say I'm surprised it made the dent it did. His sudden appearance and laser-like focus on a very strange and specific topic is proof positive that we hit CIG's central nervous system - let's keep up the acupressure.

I like this analysis!

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Scruffpuff posted:

^^^ This.

e: I think STIMSIS writes with the same passion that anyone would when defending their spouse.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Azram Legion posted:

I agree completely that CIG is taking advantage of vulnerable people, and that Ben carries some of that responsibility. My point was less that he doesn't deserve what is happening, and more how utterly pitiful his situation is. I have a really hard time not seeing how broken these people are, even as they hurt others. I am not trying to say that others should see it the same way, or that we should somehow excuse them from responsibility - but I think it is worthwhile reminding everyone that these are fundamentally dysfunctional people, stuck in a process that continually makes it harder for them to turn their lives around.

Sure, they pretend to be on top of the world, but in a thread like this, with all the things we've seen, I think more people should be able to see through that. They (Ben, Chris and Sandi) are scared, insecure individuals desperately trying to run from the truth, as the illusions they have built around them never seem to solidify, for reasons they are too dumb to understand. I think it is both more truthful and more hurtful at the same time to see them for what they are.

Star Citizen is to dreams what the Stimpire is to bodies.

I've been saying the same thing for many posts. And, if you are stuck in a lousy process, maybe then you do something about it. Stop telling everyone "Look at me! I am FAMOUS AND RICH AND COOL!" and you find something actually fulfilling.

(Terrified thinking about the little Roberts' at this point.)

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

stimsis is trolling probably. if not can you imaging caring about star citizen and Derek smart that much to post like that?

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Google Butt posted:

stimsis is trolling probably. if not can you imaging caring about star citizen and Derek smart that much to post like that?

have you been paying attention

citizens are zealous nerds, fanatic about star citizen. Its natural a citizen would pour so much effort into defending SC because theyre crazy neckbeards.

Ben is the poster boy for the SC community in more ways than one.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Scruffpuff posted:

I thought it was a poor and obvious derailing but I've learnt a lot about CIG's modus operandi over these last 20 odd pages.

They keep making the mistake that Derek is a leader of goons, which is why they fumble so hard.

He is but a man.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
stimsis is another colourful thread in the ever expanding tapestry of hilarity that is Star Citizen, as are we all

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
People who have tied there entire self-identity into a thing tend not having a healthy perspective on that thing.

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

stimsis is another colourful thread in the ever expanding tapestry of hilarity that is Star Citizen, as are we all

yo this just got deep

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

You;re very persuasiv freind I think its the all caps

Great, Stimsis. You done got TB stuck in :pgabz: mode. It took forever to reboot him last time. Hope you're happy, jerk.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
Internet rule #1; don't feed the trolls.

Internet rule #2; never forget Poe's Law

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007
My previous burgin today left me feeling unsatisfied and cheated. So I want to dice burger and was very satisfied. This is their smokehouse burger. When they asked me how I wanted it cooked I didn't know how to respond so just said medium. All future burgs will be rare.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

funny thing is, we all know deep down that they aren't trolling, and for that i am glad of.

Nellistos
Mar 2, 2013
I am starting to believe that STIMSIS is more worried about breitbart news catching up with the story,
bonus points if Derek updates the OP with benghazi quotes and opinions, so cig has content to stir and work with.

wtf happened on 27th Feb, seems that most shills regged on that day

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

CIG has a number of accounts here, all registered in the past few months, that they rotate among certain staff members for monitoring purposes. Whenever something really bad gets uncovered here, CIG determines whether or not to burn one of those accounts to attempt to derail the thread. Most things, like DonutGate, are handled internally (editing the video, tossing in a backhanded reference on the next stream, etc.) Some things, like Ben-Ghazi, in their minds require a derail. The rules about what is and is not allowed to be posted are very specific.

Allowed: personal attacks on Derek Smart, general proclamations against CIG approved for purposes of "fitting in" i.e. "SC is a scam, there are problems with management, I don't like space games, I wouldn't give them a dime" etc.
Disallowed: personal attacks on Chris or Sandi, focus on specific acts of mismanagement by CIG (fraudulent refund denials, closing accounts with a $15 extortion fee)

They don't like to burn the accounts because the newly registered ones will have a more recent date, and lose some credibility during a derail. Posts have to be approved, and so on. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, so you can see just how seriously they take it that they chose to burn one on this topic. Ben was always an embarrassment to CIG, but this takes it to a whole new level.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
thats the kind of :tinfoil: i can get behind

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Derek, have you been LYING to us? Mmmmm? Perhaps about the viewability of WEBINARS? I want you to come clean you meta-racist. We'll be fair, you inverse reverse S. J. W degenerate scum.

Lol at the SJW filter

trucutru fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 17, 2016

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jon Do posted:

thats the kind of :tinfoil: i can get behind

drat right! :tinfoil: :tinfoil: all the way :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

Wherefore art thou, 8Ace?

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
I really hope that is true because the thought that CIG would take a thread on an internet comedy forum so seriously is endlessly amusing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

moveable shape posted:

Nice 'No True Poutine' fallacy dude :smug:

Is it? :smuggo:

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

trucutru posted:

Derek, have you been LYING to us? Mmmmm? Perhaps about the viewability of WEBINARS? I want you to come clean you meta-racist. We'll be fair, you inverse reverse robocop degenerate scum.

reverse robocop would make a hell of a show

AI #0111001 was perfectly fine with its robot body, until it got shot to hell in New Detroit. Now only a human body can save it.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Scruffpuff posted:

CIG has a number of accounts here, all registered in the past few months, that they rotate among certain staff members for monitoring purposes. Whenever something really bad gets uncovered here, CIG determines whether or not to burn one of those accounts to attempt to derail the thread. Most things, like DonutGate, are handled internally (editing the video, tossing in a backhanded reference on the next stream, etc.) Some things, like Ben-Ghazi, in their minds require a derail. The rules about what is and is not allowed to be posted are very specific.

Allowed: personal attacks on Derek Smart, general proclamations against CIG approved for purposes of "fitting in" i.e. "SC is a scam, there are problems with management, I don't like space games, I wouldn't give them a dime" etc.
Disallowed: personal attacks on Chris or Sandi, focus on specific acts of mismanagement by CIG (fraudulent refund denials, closing accounts with a $15 extortion fee)

They don't like to burn the accounts because the newly registered ones will have a more recent date, and lose some credibility during a derail. Posts have to be approved, and so on. It's a bit of a pain in the rear end, so you can see just how seriously they take it that they chose to burn one on this topic. Ben was always an embarrassment to CIG, but this takes it to a whole new level.

That's worryingly plausible

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Scruffpuff posted:

Great post

Danknificent
Nov 20, 2015

Scruffpuff posted:

This guy. I don't know how he's doing it, but he's getting 100% of my internet respect. God help me.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Hi,

Make sure you give your parents a call or visit every so often, everyone. They raised you with love and worked hard to do so

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

I want to see financial transparency. How much has Lowtax made from Star Citizen, and how much of it is backer money funneled through CIG?

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Scruffpuff posted:

Exactly correct IMO. I already have STIMSIS on ignore, but that doesn't protect me when he/she is quoted.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi,

Make sure you give your parents a call or visit every so often, everyone. They raised you with love and worked hard to do so

Hi,

Make sure you pronounce the anus on that tree AV to be moreso representative of your posts.

JainDoh
Nov 5, 2002
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CrazyLoon posted:

Hi,

Make sure you pronounce the anus on that tree AV to be moreso representative of your posts.

oh, that I.N.R.I, up to his whacky hijinx again! posting the same thing over and over, who would even think of that? gold!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
someone somewhere is asking if they can use the stimsis account to call someone at cig a dick, someone else is now deciding who they can call a dick, and they have narrowed it down to lando or money

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Do you really think they are so stupid as to think or hope to derail something like that Ben crap here? I mean, sure, they can try to derail in reddit or gaming press sites eventually. But here? That would really be next level stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wits2k1
Jun 7, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

Hi,

This is good advice

• Locked thread