Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

juliuspringle posted:

I'm kind of a whore for story but if there is absolutely zero single player reason for them I think I'm just going to ignore them as much as possible (and probably celebrate when Desmond dies which I hear is a thing that happens in either Revelations or III) because my interest in the modern stuff has gone from a fair bit to gently caress that guy..

They learn their lesson with this after 3, it seems. 4 and rogue have fairly limited modern world stuff (you're some faceless abstergo employee who can wander around doing minigames if you want, or just say gently caress it and get back to the historical parts pretty quick) and then in Unity and Syndicate it's literally just some short cutscenes, no modern gameplay segments at all.

So just hang in there, it gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

They learn their lesson with this after 3, it seems. 4 and rogue have fairly limited modern world stuff (you're some faceless abstergo employee who can wander around doing minigames if you want, or just say gently caress it and get back to the historical parts pretty quick) and then in Unity and Syndicate it's literally just some short cutscenes, no modern gameplay segments at all.

So just hang in there, it gets better.

I thought the modern stuff was pretty cool until the whole Desmond 3d platforming nonsense.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The puzzles in AssCreed 2: Bros in the Hood were enjoyable in my eyes. Wish they had more corruption-in-the-simulation bits.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood
Gonna start a coop of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance soon on the ps2. We finished the sequel just yesterday (dunno why we didn't play in order) and honestly we barely understood the game mechanics. I was just an autoattacking barbarian and the other person was a healer / buffbot for me. What can we do to have more fun? How does the gameplay differ from 2nd game to 1st?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Skilleddk posted:

Gonna start a coop of Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance soon on the ps2. We finished the sequel just yesterday (dunno why we didn't play in order) and honestly we barely understood the game mechanics. I was just an autoattacking barbarian and the other person was a healer / buffbot for me. What can we do to have more fun? How does the gameplay differ from 2nd game to 1st?

Everybody wants to be the Mage, dwarf is kinda eh
It's a pretty simple game, have fun

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
I have something for Dark Souls 3 because I'm dumb:

- you have to be kindled in order to see other players' summon signs and invite them to your game; if you're not kindled, beat a boss, use an ember, invade, or help someone else using the white soapstone

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I grabbed Rimworld on a whim after jonesing for a sci fi DF for years and seeing it mentioned in one of the PYF threads. I've been playing for maybe an hour now and it's really cool, just wondering if there are any things I should watch out for.

I also have a character from the random quickstart who can't do like 3/4s of the kinds of work there are - it seems like that's due to her background story and there's no way around it, right? Just checking.

Bedurndurn
Dec 4, 2008

duckfarts posted:

- you have to be kindled in order to see other players' summon signs and invite them to your game; if you're not kindled, beat a boss, use an ember, invade, or help someone else using the white soapstone

On that note, there's a spell (Guidance?) that's description says it lets you see other players summoning signs without being embered. It disappointingly is very literal in that you can now see their signs, but you can't actually summon them. So maybe you shouldn't spend an hour and a half grinding Faith to get that spell because it will only disappoint you. Not that that happened to me.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Can't find it on the Wiki, so Fire Emblem: Fates?

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

PJOmega posted:

- Start with Birthright if you're new to the series

- Don't be afraid to play on Casual if you don't enjoy the permadeath mechanic!

- Birthright Hard is roughly equivalent to Conquest Normal. Conquest's difficulty is sometimes overstated online, but it's a lot more difficult than the other two because of the WAY in which it's difficult. Birthright/Revelation throw big numbers at you; Conquest has enemies with access to powerful skills.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

duckfarts posted:

One nice thing about DS3 is that it's a hell of a lot easier to play coop with your friends. Set your password and you will only see summon signs by those with the same passcode. You typically just need to wait about 20 seconds before their sign appears, which is night and day compared to the previous entries and even Bloodborne.

Soapstones will also work if you're kindled, too.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

PJOmega posted:

Reclassing and skills is what threw me off the most, so here's some things to watch out for:

Master Seals are pretty much unchanged. Heart Seals allow you to switch ala Second Seals but your level doesn't reset and you can't demote. Partner Seals and Friendship Seals work the same way, only they borrow your S-rank and A+-rank's classes respectively. Eternal Seals lift a class's level cap by 5.

Some special classes will keep giving you skills up to level 35. This is particular to the amiibo and DLC classes, but also Azura's class, Songstress.

You get skills from classes you "skipped" every time you level in your new class. For instance if you promoted over from General to Paladin at 16, then 17 and 18 would get you the two Cavalier skills, 19 and 20 would be Paladin ones.

You can buy skills from other castles provided they have the unit you want with the skill you want. This does cut down on the grind, but it can make already good units OP very quickly.

Units that use the Replicate skill share everything: damage taken, item uses, supports, and heals. Putting both on the front line can get them killed pretty fast, but putting one on the front and letting the other hang out near your healer can make them live forever.

Kids are not the powerhouse eugenics success stories they once were. Pair off however you like, comfortable in the knowledge that there really aren't any insanity difficulty hardmode DLC obligatory S-ranks, at least as far as I know.

Monk E
May 19, 2009
So I got Inazuma Eleven on sale from the 3ds e-shop anything I should know before I get into it?

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Ryoshi posted:

I grabbed Rimworld on a whim after jonesing for a sci fi DF for years and seeing it mentioned in one of the PYF threads. I've been playing for maybe an hour now and it's really cool, just wondering if there are any things I should watch out for.

My advice would be to avoid looking up anything about the game. There is no win-state, so once you have everything optimized then the game is essentially over. It's easy to look up strategies and descriptions of everything you encounter, but once you build a colony that can take any challenge then there's really nothing left to do.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Anything for Bravely Second besides the stuff that would apply from the Bravely Default tips?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

The sidequests now give you a choice between 2 asterisks, if you pick one then the second is not available to get for a long time.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

The sidequests now give you a choice between 2 asterisks, if you pick one then the second is not available to get for a long time.

Are there any asterisks that it would be particularly foolish to pass on the first time they're offered?

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

I personally don't see why you'd take Thief over Red Mage. Since Red Mage's utility overall is gonna be higher than Thief, not to mention you can find a thief's knife that lets you steal if that's all you really wanted the class for anyway.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
Anything for Splatoon.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

Had a couple things for rear end Creed revelation. Don't remember the probably more legit/useful one but...

If a group of beggars is blocking your way and you're near a scaffolding just pull it down to kill them without the game yelling at you for killing civilians. (only tested outside of missions)

I just remembered the more useful thing i figured out.

Killing a herald will do the OPPOSITE of what you hope. (In that killing them actually seems to RAISE your notoriety by a fair amount.)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NT Plus posted:

Anything for Splatoon.

Definitely play the single player campaign. There are several guns you can only get from single player, and they're some of the best ones. Also the single player is surprisingly fun, feels very much like Mario 64 with guns, and the boss fights are INCREDIBLE. I'd almost recommend playing the whole thing before you try multi so you get a feel for the controls, but you can switch back and forth if you prefer variety.

If you use thumbsticks, modify the sensitivity and try to find what works best. Try using the motion controls, even if they're awkward at first, its almost impossible to be as accurate with pure thumbsticks as you can be using the motion controls, almost everybody in the splatoon thread swears by them.

There's a LOT of stuff that got patched into the game over time, which for you is going to seem kinda overwhelming, but don't worry about it too much. There's lots and lots of guns to unlock and buy but most are sidegrades instead of flat upgrades, so you shouldn't be at a gigantic disadvantage even with the starting gun. Still, options are good to have.

Lots of different weapon types feel very different and are almost like different classes in a game like TF2. The roller plays different than the normal super soaker which feels different than the slosher or the mini-gun or the snipers. Each takes finesse and practice, find what appeals to you and play with it a lot until you get better.

Don't overlook the usefulness of grenades and things like that. Also look at what your armor bonuses give you, although looking totally fresh is the most important thing. Bonuses stack but primary bonuses (locked) are worth a lot more than the secondary bonuses (random, can be re-rolled). Also any armor is ultimately end-game viable, at first some only have 1 bonus ability while some have 2 or 3, but participating in 'splatfest' tournaments gets you sea shells which let you add stars to existing items or re-roll them.

The best abilities IMO are ink resistance (you take less damage walking through others' ink), squid ninja (you're invisible while in squid form), ninja jump (players can't tell where you're fast-jumping to), and run speed up. Damage up is okay but often doesn't do much, depending upon the weapon and breakpoints.

Use the gamepad to keep an eye on the battlefield and remember that at any time, not even just when you spawn, you can tap on another teammate to jump to them, but if that teammate is surrounded you'll almost assuredly die before you finish landing.

Casual is played as "turf war" where whoever has the most of their color at the end of the match wins. NOTHING else matters. Kills do not matter, except to delay enemy players. Focus on painting. Using the paint-nuke at the last second to paint over your enemy's colors is a very viable and extremely common strategy.

Ranked is played using objectives like "tower control" (you have to stand on a point to move it to the enemy base) "rainmaker" (there's a paint rocket launcher that looks like a fish and somebody needs to spike it into the enemy's end-zone like a football) and "zone control" (you have to keep one or two spots painted to earn points, first team to X points wins)

Ranked tends to be a bit more focused while turf war is pretty random and just kinda a good time. Casual you earn money based on your performance with the winners getting a big bonus, while in ranked you don't get anything at all unless you win, but you get more if you win.

Just play the game a lot and you'll figure it out from there, super fun game.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

juliuspringle posted:

Killing a herald will do the OPPOSITE of what you hope. (In that killing them actually seems to RAISE your notoriety by a fair amount.)
You can, however, pickpocket a herald after you bribe them to get your money back with no repercussions.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Hannibal Smith posted:

You can, however, pickpocket a herald after you bribe them to get your money back with no repercussions.

I forget if it's this game, or one of the other asscreeds with heralds, but you can also run a short distance away, and then the herald will become available for bribing again, which makes them really easy ways to keep your notoriety down. If a bit nonsensical, on account of how it means that they just go back to badmouthing you the moment you go out of earshot.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat
Assassin's Creed: Revelations!

- While bombs are great novelties, they aren't critical to your success. Actually, the game is filled with a lot of extraneous stuff (like the tower defense game) so don't bother with the extra stuff if you don't want to.

- Despite what you may think, AC:R isn't about revelations, or Assassins vs Templars, or even the main plot. Those are there to frame Ezio's story and it's conclusion: if you care about Ezio, it will be worth it and you owe it to yourself to play this game, but if you don't care, it's just Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood with more gimmicks and a worse UI.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ainsley McTree posted:

I forget if it's this game, or one of the other asscreeds with heralds, but you can also run a short distance away, and then the herald will become available for bribing again, which makes them really easy ways to keep your notoriety down. If a bit nonsensical, on account of how it means that they just go back to badmouthing you the moment you go out of earshot.
You say nonsensical, I say "brilliant scam".

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

drkeiscool posted:

Assassin's Creed: Revelations!
it's just Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood with more gimmicks and a worse UI.

That's something that becomes painfully obvious if you play Revelations immediately upon finishing Brotherhood :smith:

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Does NG+ in CoJ Gunslinger allow a level select or do I have to play through every level sequentially again if I want to collect all the Nuggets of Truth I missed the first time around?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Off of a whim, I decided to rent Toukiden: Kiwami on gamefly for PS4. I've never played or even heard of this game but I liked to premise. Anyone play it and/or have any tips?

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Off of a whim, I decided to rent Toukiden: Kiwami on gamefly for PS4. I've never played or even heard of this game but I liked to premise. Anyone play it and/or have any tips?
It's basically an off-brand Monster Hunter. To get loot from enemies, you need to hold R2 to purify the bodies or parts before they disappear. When fighting the big boss-type enemies, be sure to check the enhanced vision to spot all the weak points and destroy and grab what falls off. Also, there are rare monsters and uncommon loot points that can only be seen when using the enhanced vision, so be sure to check for them when going through rooms.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

owl_pellet posted:

Does NG+ in CoJ Gunslinger allow a level select or do I have to play through every level sequentially again if I want to collect all the Nuggets of Truth I missed the first time around?

NG+ is every level sequentially, but you can always use the replay mission feature to play through a specific level with all your upgrades.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back

Random Hajile posted:

It's basically an off-brand Monster Hunter. To get loot from enemies, you need to hold R2 to purify the bodies or parts before they disappear. When fighting the big boss-type enemies, be sure to check the enhanced vision to spot all the weak points and destroy and grab what falls off. Also, there are rare monsters and uncommon loot points that can only be seen when using the enhanced vision, so be sure to check for them when going through rooms.

This is really dumb because I read the reviews which kept saying it was similar to Monster Hunter and for some reason my brain thought they were saying Monster Rancher. I have never played Monster Hunter and have no idea what kind of game it is.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

This is really dumb because I read the reviews which kept saying it was similar to Monster Hunter and for some reason my brain thought they were saying Monster Rancher. I have never played Monster Hunter and have no idea what kind of game it is.

Monster Hunter is a game with Dark Souls-style combat where you go out into an MMO-style world hunting monsters with your buddies. You then get drops from those monsters that allow you to upgrade your armor and weapons so you can take on more and more difficult monsters. Rinse and repeat, I'm not sure what differences Toukiden has from Monster Hunter though.

juliuspringle
Jul 7, 2007

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

I would LOVE a new Monster Rancher game, though I have no idea how that would work these days.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Monster Hunter is about setting out to track, trap, kill, and scavenge monster parts. It uses animation priority combat (basically locking you into attack animations, having to know when to swing, etc), you need to familiarize yourself with your prey, and leans more into item usage than your typical RPG. There's no levels so the game is all about skinning monsters for better gear. It's best played with a group of friends. Personally I hate it.

To my understanding, Toukiden is more casual friendly and focuses more on the combat side of things making it more action oriented.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Mayor McCheese posted:

To my understanding, Toukiden is more casual friendly and focuses more on the combat side of things making it more action oriented.

I've only tried Monster Hunter Freedom Unite briefly and the first chapter of Toukiden Kiwami, but that seems accurate. Toukiden combat is a lot faster paced, especially if you choose from the quicker weapon types.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

To put it simply, Monster Hunter is "Go kill a monster a few times to get materials to make better gear so you can go kill a bigger monster. Repeat."

Random Hajile fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 25, 2016

But Not Tonight
May 22, 2006

I could show you around the sights.

juliuspringle posted:

I would LOVE a new Monster Rancher game, though I have no idea how that would work these days.

stick to using CDs but allow DVD support as well! BOOM let's make it happen, I can't wait to get my fat purple rabbit fighter goin again

e: had to look it up, my favorite was Amethyst, Hare + Naga breed with a knockout punch

But Not Tonight fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 25, 2016

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

juliuspringle posted:

Shouldn't be too crazy. EVO had CD and DVD support, just toss in BluRay and it's golden. Maybe something else for games that are on the hard-drive rather than on disc.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I'm not sure I ever even fought far enough to get past the beginning. Only wanted to see what my KoRn and That's what I call music CDs got me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Run a new Monster Hunter as a built-in-Steam game that makes monsters based on the games you own. :haw: