Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
AST told me I need to learn how to play my job better

code:
NAME             STARTTIME   DURATION  DAMAGE   DAMAGE%  POWERDRAIN  ENCDPS  ENCHPS  DAMAGETAKEN  DEATHS  JOB  OVERHEALPCT  
YOU              9:25:20 PM  21:39     511,697  50%      0           378.75  14.49   103,597      1       Drg  0%           
BARD             9:25:29 PM  19:51     274,413  26%      0           203.12  1.91    51,781       2       Brd  26%          
WARRIOR          9:25:17 PM  22:12     209,987  20%      0           155.43  25.43   458,923      2       War  1%           
ASTROLGIAN       9:25:19 PM  20:41     9,427    0%       0           6.98    451.58  63,846       2       Ast  25%          
E: Comedy addition:
code:

Limit Break          9:46:38 PM  00:00     17,501   1%       0           12.95   0.00    0            0            0%           

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Leo, I'm not saying don't use flash ever. I've said before a bunch of times that with big aoe packs it's usually enough to flash to just keep the blind buff up (3 times total) while distributing your enmity combo.

Fair. I just don't know at what point it would be considered spam. I rarely flash more than three times per pull anyway, unless they're big, because by then everything's dead.

I really enjoy tanking in this game, and the Paladin in particular. I like to think I do a good job in dungeons, but I'm always trying to be better. I haven't done anything high-end yet, mind. I'm still leveling Paladin, but I figure so long as I keep as much threat as possible, it's all good by the end of the pull.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Main problem with Flash is that it does zero damage. Ideally you want to use Flash just enough so that your enmity combo can be used freely since it actually does damage.

Once you get Rage of Halone and Shield Oath, you'll likely have an insurmountable enmity lead that you can't do too much with until you get Goring Blade/Royal Authority. Sword Oath on bosses helps a bit.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's really no reason for Flash not to do at least some damage. :(

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Mr. Nice! posted:

You can clear expert roulette this way as well as some friends and I accidentally found out one night right after 3.2.

Hell, due to drops/dcs by tanks and seemingly no one willing to join in progress on Antitower/Amdapor hard I've cleared all bosses and most trash on both with a 2 DRG/SCH party, though admittedly in both cases the other DRG was entirely north of ilvl 230.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's really no reason for Flash not to do at least some damage. :(

At this point I just think it's because it's a carryover from XI where it did 0 damage. But XI is stupid so they really should just add 100 potency to it or something, who cares if turns into a copy of Unleash. Push buttan, do 0 damage doesn't feel good.

Tyberius
Oct 21, 2006

Flash doing no damage was nice back in the day when people used CC and allowed you to keep threat over the healer's healing.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Haquer posted:

code:
NAME             STARTTIME   DURATION  DAMAGE   DAMAGE%  POWERDRAIN  ENCDPS  ENCHPS  DAMAGETAKEN  DEATHS  JOB  OVERHEALPCT  
YOU              9:25:20 PM  21:39     511,697  50%      0           378.75  14.49   103,597      1       Drg  0%           
BARD             9:25:29 PM  19:51     274,413  26%      0           203.12  1.91    51,781       2       Brd  26%          
WARRIOR          9:25:17 PM  22:12     209,987  20%      0           155.43  25.43   458,923      2       War  1%           
ASTROLGIAN       9:25:19 PM  20:41     9,427    0%       0           6.98    451.58  63,846       2       Ast  25%          
code:

Limit Break          9:46:38 PM  00:00     17,501   1%       0           12.95   0.00    0            0            0%           

I was going to say it probably had more to do with you taking twice as much damage as the other DPS, but then I saw you're playing dragoon :v:

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Kwyndig posted:

I was going to say it probably had more to do with you taking twice as much damage as the other DPS, but then I saw you're playing dragoon :v:

My damage recieved was low up until I saw he was being an honest healer, then I started standing in AoEs to give him some work to do v:v:v

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Oh, I've totally done that too when playing DPS upon encountering an honest healer.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i just started playing again and honest healer is a new term on me and there's no google results for it. what does it mean and why does everyone hate it

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

It means they only heal and just stand there in phases of low incoming damage, and that's why people hate them

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

They're healers who do little or no damage in encounters. It's a reference to

seiferguy posted:

Preliminary Patch 3.3 notes:

Edit: can't forget this classic

seiferguy posted:

In honor of the 6 DPS healer:

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 17, 2016

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Bonfire Lit posted:

It means they only heal and just stand there in phases of low incoming damage, and that's why people hate them

They also get lovely when you suggest that they toss out a DPS spell instead of standing there doing literally nothing and say stuff like "if i wanted to dps, i'd be a dps." Some of them will even get lovely at other healers who do use DPS spells and yell at them to just heal.

When I was new I was an honest healer because I was scared of everything, so I spent boss fights just standing there watching for a health bar to dip below 90%. But after doing that two or three times you realize "hey I can use some dps spells and make this go faster" pretty quickly.

I don't really "hate" honest healers unless they're of the "yell at everybody who thinks healers should DPS" variety. If they just quietly play badly then the dungeon takes a little longer to clear, but nobody wipes so whatever who cares

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Healer is probably my favorite role in duty roulettes, simply because healers who actually dps are rare as rocking horse poo poo, so if I heal spam Holy, the run goes like 40% faster.

Illuen
Feb 18, 2011

All comedy is derived from fear.
It really grinds my gears when I'm doing raids/dungeons and I'm paired with a honest healer. I had a A8 the other day with an AST who only used hope (on the tank) and ewer (on themselves) would not go into dps stance, and who seemed to be standing around half the fight, while I was a dishonest WHM. I did decent damage and still topped the healing chart and I really wanted to shake him and ask him what he did with himself when he wasn't standing in aoe.

I've gotten my paladin up to Heavensward content, and I've found that using legacy movement makes it so easy to back out of AOEs, but it also makes turning a pain in the rear end. Is there a way in settings to combine the backwards running of legacy with the sideways movement of standard mode?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

In the next expansion, the first new quest for each healer class should be a reminder that not DPSing during downtime/MP allowing is bad.

*edit - and the capstone quest, because many will forget.

Bonfire Lit posted:

That's actually a theme in the CNJ quests but most people don't notice.

Yep! You nailed my point.

isk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 17, 2016

Bonfire Lit
Jul 9, 2008

If you're one of the sinners who caused this please unfriend me now.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Bonfire Lit posted:

She should've died at the end, it's the only way people would remember

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Has anybody else been having certificate issues with the launcher lately? It's come up twice this week.

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Can someone tell me how to AoE as a dragoon? I kind of levelled up my dragoon doing quests because I wanted to see all the quests in the game. I do a pretty good job against bosses, like in trials or raids, and I think I've got the single target DPS rotation down pretty well. I usually avoid dungeons because tanks pick up huge packs and I just don't feel dragoons have any fun AoE. However, my scholar friend resubbed recently, and as my only 60s are healers and dragoon, I went as dragoon. And he did more damage on the large AoE packs than me and I feel really dumb and useless. I think it's time I learn how to do this right? I mean, I've tried using Doom Spike and/or Ring of Thorns but that doesn't work well. I also try doing my single target rotation to keep up Blood of the Dragon and use Geirskogul liberally, but that also sucked. I don't know what to do. I feel royally dumb. The black mage in our group kicked my rear end and I kept stealing agro from the tank during bosses and getting hit by the tank busters and it was such a lovely run I don't even want to ever play dragoon again!

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Dragoon, and melee DPS in general, have poo poo AOE compared to casters in this game. All you can really do is heavy thrust->ring of thorns->spam doom spike->invigorate->spam doom spike->do single target rotation when you get to something like 300-500 TP left.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
What are the chances of Heavensward going on sale on Steam soon? I've hit 50 on my Warrior, and while I don't mind leveling other classes, I want to continue going full :black101:

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Haquer posted:

code:
code:

To be fair, pre-50 (Those are pre-50 numbers right?) Astrologian has loving dick-all for DPS options. However, if they're not even casting Malefic when they get a chance, yeah, they're bad.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Haquer posted:

My damage recieved was low up until I saw he was being an honest healer, then I started standing in AoEs to give him some work to do v:v:v

Nice dude, you really showed that guy by intentionally loving up. What an idiot!

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

:negative:

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Unless those dps were in 220+ gear with lore weapons, they're at least doing level 60ish dps if they were in 170-180ish gear.

Edit: Wait it's fractal so they'd be scaled down to 210, same thing applies then.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ruta posted:

Can someone tell me how to AoE as a dragoon? I kind of levelled up my dragoon doing quests because I wanted to see all the quests in the game. I do a pretty good job against bosses, like in trials or raids, and I think I've got the single target DPS rotation down pretty well. I usually avoid dungeons because tanks pick up huge packs and I just don't feel dragoons have any fun AoE. However, my scholar friend resubbed recently, and as my only 60s are healers and dragoon, I went as dragoon. And he did more damage on the large AoE packs than me and I feel really dumb and useless. I think it's time I learn how to do this right? I mean, I've tried using Doom Spike and/or Ring of Thorns but that doesn't work well. I also try doing my single target rotation to keep up Blood of the Dragon and use Geirskogul liberally, but that also sucked. I don't know what to do. I feel royally dumb. The black mage in our group kicked my rear end and I kept stealing agro from the tank during bosses and getting hit by the tank busters and it was such a lovely run I don't even want to ever play dragoon again!

Mymla posted:

Dragoon, and melee DPS in general, have poo poo AOE compared to casters in this game. All you can really do is heavy thrust->ring of thorns->spam doom spike->invigorate->spam doom spike->do single target rotation when you get to something like 300-500 TP left.

Mymla's advice is solid. SMNs/BLMs/SCHs have much better sustainability in AoE packs, but you can still contribute. A bit more advice - Ring of Thorns combos off of Heavy Thrust. It's slightly less damage, but you save some TP. Also, pop Internal Release/Blood for Blood after Heavy Thrust, and throw in a Dragonfire Dive when everything's grouped. If there's a BRD or MCH in the group, they can help with TP recovery.

If you're regularly taking aggro off the tank during bosses (even after properly using Elusive Jump), they're doing it wrong. They have plenty of time to land their first enmity combo before you start spamming your buffed jumps (these should come in after Disembowel).

I switched to DRG main in HW, and it's generally been fun. Sometimes you get lovely tanks, but in my experience it's the exception.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Solumin posted:

What are the chances of Heavensward going on sale on Steam soon? I've hit 50 on my Warrior, and while I don't mind leveling other classes, I want to continue going full :black101:

Probably won't happen until the next expansion is released. If you don't plan to quit for awhile, go ahead and pick it up now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
It feels pretty good to get 1200 dps as a SCH in EXDR. Hard City is a little better but Blizzard 2 is an underrated CC skill.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

OneDeadlyBum posted:

Probably won't happen until the next expansion is released. If you don't plan to quit for awhile, go ahead and pick it up now.

Great, thanks!

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

To be fair, pre-50 (Those are pre-50 numbers right?) Astrologian has loving dick-all for DPS options. However, if they're not even casting Malefic when they get a chance, yeah, they're bad.

Nah, that was a level 50 dungeon (Amdapor Hard I think? I'm not at my PC right now to check, been unlocking all the 50 dungeons for 50DR)

Fister Roboto posted:

Nice dude, you really showed that guy by intentionally loving up. What an idiot!

Cool, shut up nerd

ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.

isk posted:

Mymla's advice is solid. SMNs/BLMs/SCHs have much better sustainability in AoE packs, but you can still contribute. A bit more advice - Ring of Thorns combos off of Heavy Thrust. It's slightly less damage, but you save some TP. Also, pop Internal Release/Blood for Blood after Heavy Thrust, and throw in a Dragonfire Dive when everything's grouped. If there's a BRD or MCH in the group, they can help with TP recovery.

If you're regularly taking aggro off the tank during bosses (even after properly using Elusive Jump), they're doing it wrong. They have plenty of time to land their first enmity combo before you start spamming your buffed jumps (these should come in after Disembowel).

I switched to DRG main in HW, and it's generally been fun. Sometimes you get lovely tanks, but in my experience it's the exception.

Yeah, I did use my Ring of Thorns off of Heavy Thrust, though it was sometimes hard to get the positional to get it to trigger because the tank was kind of fidgety. I should work on that. But overall, I guess I just can't expect to do much damage in AoE packs and let it be. I'm just so used to doing really really well in trials and raids and pvp and stuff, so I was in shock at my dismal AoE pack numbers. Thanks for all the advice, though!

I don't really know who to blame for the last boss's agro shenanigans. The tank kept getting hit by the confuse and it was horrible. If tanks get hit by stuff like this, should DPS just layoff? The black mage wasn't so I didn't either, but anyway, the tank got hit by the first confuse, and I got hit by the first tank buster that comes right after. I don't remember exactly where I was in my opener, but it was pretty early on. I didn't take hate again, as my entire rotation got screwed by the early death, but the black mage ate two more tank busters before eating the dust. I rarely do dungeons to begin with, but this kind of made me not want to do it as a DPS for a long while.

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

ruta posted:

Yeah, I did use my Ring of Thorns off of Heavy Thrust, though it was sometimes hard to get the positional to get it to trigger because the tank was kind of fidgety. I should work on that. But overall, I guess I just can't expect to do much damage in AoE packs and let it be. I'm just so used to doing really really well in trials and raids and pvp and stuff, so I was in shock at my dismal AoE pack numbers. Thanks for all the advice, though!

I main DRG and was at first upset at how bad AoE is for the class but then didn't care when I realized that you end up doing enough damage to bosses due to amazing single target DPS that you still do more damage in a dungeon than most casters (really good SMNs can blow by me though).

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm glad that people ITT have started to go full goon about "honest healers" by acting like complete assholes to strangers on the internet.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

ruta posted:

I don't really know who to blame for the last boss's agro shenanigans. The tank kept getting hit by the confuse and it was horrible. If tanks get hit by stuff like this, should DPS just layoff? The black mage wasn't so I didn't either, but anyway, the tank got hit by the first confuse, and I got hit by the first tank buster that comes right after. I don't remember exactly where I was in my opener, but it was pretty early on. I didn't take hate again, as my entire rotation got screwed by the early death, but the black mage ate two more tank busters before eating the dust. I rarely do dungeons to begin with, but this kind of made me not want to do it as a DPS for a long while.

Ultimately it's your call, do what you find fun, but if it helps, that sounds like a rare Antitower run. Anecdotal evidence and all, but I've capped Lore every week mostly through EXDR, and I don't remember wiping on an Antitower boss.

Anyhow, if the tank gets Confused or isn't broken out of Dollhouse in time, someone's probably getting clipped by that tankbuster, whether or not you stop DPSing. Elusive Jump would be good, then Keen Flurry (if it can even be Parry'd) if the tank isn't out in time. I don't see the need for that too often.

In current EXDR (and most HW) dungeons, a strong DD and an adequate tank are better than the other way, since most of the mechanics are randomly/group targetted and a strong DD will kill things faster.

isk fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Apr 17, 2016

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm glad that people ITT have started to go full goon about "honest healers" by acting like complete assholes to strangers on the internet.

Me too, healing would be goddamn boring in this game by itself. They must be soulless.

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness

Fister Roboto posted:

A lot of it is just venting, I'm sure. I dislike healers that don't dps, but if I get the feeling that they won't accept critique, I just give the commendation to someone else and move on with my life.

Spoz
May 25, 2006

Fister Roboto posted:

We're unironically the worst sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Fister Roboto posted:

The dream is that enough other people pick up on it to make it a mainstream thing and then I never have to tolerate another one of them again.

That said, I don't ask for Cleric Stance nearly as often as I should.

• Locked thread