Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
The Iczhkerian Respublik of Chechneristanohemia-Slovakingshetiague. Done.

:bsdsnype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

chairface posted:

Yeah I was gonna bring that up. Czech Republic had to occasionally deny being Chechnya already because Americans are stupid. Changing it to Czechia, that's just making it sound MORE like Chechnya!

So I guess this is now Czechia Cheese?

Does it come with Skee-ball and prize tickets?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deteriorata posted:

Czechia Cheese?

Jesus nice

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Deteriorata posted:

It should come with a gas mask. This poo poo is positively toxic.

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005
As shameful as our world geography tends to be, I don't think Ive ever met an American that didn't know there was a distinction between cz and Chechnya. granted it doesn't come up in conversation often

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

never trust an elf posted:

As shameful as our world geography tends to be, I don't think Ive ever met an American that didn't know there was a distinction between cz and Chechnya. granted it doesn't come up in conversation often

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

mobby_6kl posted:

Latvia/Lithuania too.

Just gonna cross-post these instances of Czech confusion from the maps thread

Hah apparently somebody put together a huge imgur gallery. Enjoy: http://imgur.com/a/RpAK0

CNN maps are an endless source of beauty and joy.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

anilEhilated posted:

It should come with a gas mask. This poo poo is positively toxic.

Actually it's delicious. A cheese that doesn't offend at least one sense is no cheese at all.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

never trust an elf posted:

I assume that if the subject comes up, it's precisely because they know the difference. SOmebody who doesn't know what Chechnya is is not going to start a conversation on Chechnyan politics.

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
Most Americans are only exposed to geography and history up through high school, and their exposure is terrible

I don't think we ever even talked about the 20th century in my elementary and high school education. Our textbooks and maps still had the GDR in them like it was newish country, so maybe that was for the best. Keep in mind I finished in the early 2000s.

We only ever seemed to talk about the revolutionary war and the civil war and bits of romanticized settler history in between. We also had an entire year of state history which in my case was just more romanticized settler history that never breached beyond at most the first decade of the 20th century.

Social studies just broke down into students hating other cultures.

I think civics was the only area that wasn't a total failure.

Dusty Baker 2
Jul 8, 2011

Keyboard Inghimasi

lancemantis posted:

Most Americans are only exposed to geography and history up through high school, and their exposure is terrible

I don't think we ever even talked about the 20th century in my elementary and high school education. Our textbooks and maps still had the GDR in them like it was newish country, so maybe that was for the best. Keep in mind I finished in the early 2000s.

We only ever seemed to talk about the revolutionary war and the civil war and bits of romanticized settler history in between. We also had an entire year of state history which in my case was just more romanticized settler history that never breached beyond at most the first decade of the 20th century.

I graduated in 2009 and had the exact same experience, complete with the bad maps.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Hey, my favorite songwriter, PJ Harvey, has released a new album, with songs devoted to the Balkans and the humanitarian crises of Kosovo as well as the current refugee influx. I just thought it could be relevant to the thread, since the idea of Eastern European affairs making a way into mainstream Western art for once is kinda fascinating, imo, even though the message of the songs may be kinda condescending to the political compexities of the Balkans.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ReW0jJkag8

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

lancemantis posted:

Same, except my american history teacher was a lazy know-nothing who substituted actual teaching with films like Apocalypse Now and just assumed we learned poo poo.

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011
Daaaaamn. I went to a public school in INDIANA (graduated 2006) and had an award winning teacher for US history who covered things up until the modern day, had a 20th century world history class (admittedly it was an elective), had other world culture classes, etc. Of course if you wanted to you could not take any of those electives and be ignorant to all those things, but there was at least a choice.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Yeah, I went to public school in middle of nowhere North Carolina and inner city VA Beach and had a lot of time devoted to geography and world history.

Most people just don't care. It doesn't impact their daily lives. Which isn't a uniquely American thing.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
So the newstatesman had an article about the plane crash fear mongering going on in Poland now. In it it talked about the idiots calling for Tusk to be tried. Is there any chance of PiS actually going through with this?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Crowsbeak posted:

So the newstatesman had an article about the plane crash fear mongering going on in Poland now. In it it talked about the idiots calling for Tusk to be tried. Is there any chance of PiS actually going through with this?
The rest of the EU will stand by the President.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/GrahamWP_UK/status/721820580320841728

Because none of that dereliction happened during the Soviet period or even before. Or since.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yes, those horrible Ukrainians and their criminal neglect of things!

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Because none of that dereliction happened during the Soviet period or even before. Or since.

Well, when your goal is to focus attention on literally anything feasibly beneficial about the annexation aside from "Russia now owns the military port they wanted" sometimes you just throw ideas at the wall to see what sticks. Gotta be getting harder as things on the non-military-port side in Crimea continue to get shittier.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Apr 18, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

[citation needed] on that place ever having been beautiful, let alone one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Edit: Not Crimea as a whole, as you can find beauty anywhere, but that pictured place isn't exactly the best candiate for making the point

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006

steinrokkan posted:

Actually it's delicious. A cheese that doesn't offend at least one sense is no cheese at all.

Smelly cheese, you say? I've been looking for new things to try since surströmming (which really wasn't disgusting to me) and I think I just found it.

Now I just have to procure some.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Very smelly cheese. It tastes like rot in your mouth.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Latvia's new 5 Euro collector coin.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

BattleMaster posted:

[citation needed] on that place ever having been beautiful, let alone one of the most beautiful places in the world.

Edit: Not Crimea as a whole, as you can find beauty anywhere, but that pictured place isn't exactly the best candiate for making the point

Crimea is genuinely actually beautiful, one of the few places in the former Soviet Union [politics aside] that has a Mediterranean[ish] climate. As for some random crumbling concrete building, who knows.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Is that a hedgehog Pied Pipering a bunch of pigs? Is this some sort of cherished folktale?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sonic Adventures 2016 looking good.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Deteriorata posted:

Never seen a cheese so mature you could tell its gender before...

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Should he not be stealing potatoes from Estland?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

It's based on a folk tale about a hedgehog who herds pigs, marries a princess and is turned into a prince.

http://en.news-4-u.ru/in-latvia-launched-into-circulation-oval-coin-with-a-hedgehog-and-a-princess-photos.html

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(

It's based on a folk tale about a hedgehog who herds pigs, marries a princess and is turned into a prince.

http://en.news-4-u.ru/in-latvia-launched-into-circulation-oval-coin-with-a-hedgehog-and-a-princess-photos.html

That's an amazing coin and as an amateur coin collector I want it.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Seems Savchenko is to be released in exchange for two Russian pilots. Wait, haven't we heard that one before?

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-XV8Zsd9gg

Goons in russia are a lot more militant about their SA membership.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

All I could think in my head was "March Of The Pigs."

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

steinrokkan posted:

I have yet to meet a cheese that offends my hearing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I have yet to meet a cheese that offends my hearing.

I've heard you can hear the worms in casu marzu if everything else is perfectly silent.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

slavatuvs posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-XV8Zsd9gg

Goons in russia are a lot more militant about their SA membership.

They are Limonov's comrades, i.e. national-bolshevicks. The grenade is a pun on Limonov's name, because in Russian grenades are sometimes called limonka.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Paladinus posted:

They are Limonov's comrades, i.e. national-bolshevicks. The grenade is a pun on Limonov's name, because in Russian grenades are sometimes called limonka.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Ah yes, the Limon party

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Paladinus posted:

You got your fascism in my communism!

Poland's having its own nazi moment right now. On Saturday a known nationalist sympathizer priest who has been moved around the country because everywhere he goes he organizes fascist rallies held a special mass in the Bialystok catherdral to honor the anniversary of the foundation of ONR, one of Poland's preeminent far right groups. During his sermon he said that leftism is a cancer than has to be cut out of society by the uncompromising morality of Nationalist-Catholicism. Afterwards they had a lovely jaunt down the city streets while chanting lovely slogans about hanging zionists, communists, killing muslims and of course Poland only for Poles! They ended their evening at a university affiliated night club where they were treated to a concert by Neo-Nazi group Nordica. The University with which the club was affiliated sent out an email to its international students, advising them not to go out into the city, walk the campus or even leave their rooms between 11:00 AM on Saturday and 3:00 AM on Sunday so as to avoid "unfortunate incidents" and warned that ONR is a racist organization. Now even for Poland, this is a rather distressing level of collusion between church and extreme right wing organizations. The church was forced to react and gave the priest in question a complete ban on all public appearances, organizing of any events, leading of pilgrimages, or otherwise coming out of his room basically. That this is the third straight place he's done this was left without comment. Times are getting more interesting by the moment.

Edit: Bonus Pictures

Here's the mass.

And here's the young patriots in their natural state:

A Pale Horse fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Apr 20, 2016