Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Unless you have Fios and then SAP doesn't work

That is honestly a blessing in this context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Bio-Hazard posted:

I, too, know better than MLS executives how to best grow and market this league to those living in the US.

I will continue to loudly voice my opinion on The Something Awful Forums because nobody is sick and tired of my posts about how hosed up this league is.

I bet those executives are reading this forum right now, and if I keep complaining about pro/rel, ratings and attendance, they'll change their ways.

:justpost:

don garber is a former NFL exec who runs MLS like a cargo cult inspired by major american sports leagues

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

For those who missed the Timbers v Earthquakes game, it was one of the more entertaining matches of the season. A lot of heart from a team that's pretty injury depleted and playing 3 games in 6 days.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Welcome to GBS posted:

For those who missed the Timbers v Earthquakes game, it was one of the more entertaining matches of the season. A lot of heart from a team that's pretty injury depleted and playing 3 games in 6 days.

This is another thing I'm curious about. How hard is it (for pros) to play multiple games within a week? Baseball does about 6 games a week, basketball ~3 or so, football is just 1, soccer is what, ~2? Are those ratios purely based on difficulty or somewhat altered by limiting supply or something like that?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Well baseball players have maybe 5 minutes of strenuous activity per game and basketball allows for substitutions and breaks. I imagine that if you had enough pitchers rotating in, you could play a baseball game every other day. Meanwhile the average basketball game is 2.5 hours for 48 minutes of gameplay and looking at a few recent games, the average minutes played per starter is about 25 minutes. So it takes an average basketball started 3 games to play as many minutes as an average starting soccer player in 1 game.

Shammypants fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 17, 2016

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

All of this is exactly right. Additionally, football only has 11 minutes of actual ball-in-motion action per game. Divide that in half since you have offense and defense and you're looking at less than six minutes of athletic activity per player.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Comparing soccer to popular American sports and going "heh, look how much more our players run :smug:" is a perennial argument among American soccer fans, and I find it completely inexplicable.

All of these pro athletes, in any sport, are doing more physical activity in a week than most people do in years.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Hello Towel posted:

Comparing soccer to popular American sports and going "heh, look how much more our players run :smug:" is a perennial argument among American soccer fans, and I find it completely inexplicable.

All of these pro athletes, in any sport, are doing more physical activity in a week than most people do in years.

So what is your point? We have actual data on travel times, activity in games, training times and other factors but you want to ignore that because of your personal opinion that because people are professional athletes that they should all be able to play the same number of games per week? So a cricket player should have the same stamina as a hockey player? There are reasons teams of different sports fight and fuss over scheduling and it's because you can gain an inherent advantage or suffer a disadvantage depending on rest, opponent strength, home/away and other factors.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

So what is your point? We have actual data on travel times, activity in games, training times and other factors but you want to ignore that because of your personal opinion that because people are professional athletes that they should all be able to play the same number of games per week? So a cricket player should have the same stamina as a hockey player?

no, his point is that soccer players running more than baseball players doesn't mean soccer is inherently a better sport than baseball, but that's an argument people make all the time, and it's unbearable

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

be nice wicka posted:

no, his point is that soccer players running more than baseball players doesn't mean soccer is inherently a better sport than baseball, but that's an argument people make all the time, and it's unbearable

The original question was "how hard is it to play multiple games per week by sport." It's literally on this page

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The original question was "how hard is it to play multiple games per week by sport." It's literally on this page

yes, i know that. maybe he's trying to nip it in the bud? idk

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

be nice wicka posted:

yes, i know that. maybe he's trying to nip it in the bud? idk

I'll nip you in the bud

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
DC United are a bad team with a front office that would rather sell season ticket holding GA areas to AS Roma fan clubs so they don't get embarrassed by the continued protests erupting throughout North America

If anyone calls you asking to watch a boring, awful team in a decaying stadium, ask them why they don't treat the brain damaged regulars a little better

I'm brain damaged

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

I just cant go to RFK anymore...

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Both times I've been to RFK this year has been a big let down and that's even with my attitude of "this is our lovable shithole"

DC and MLS is real bad and not good and I wish it would change and not be bad anymore. Thanks for reading friends.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

TheNakedJimbo posted:

All of this is exactly right. Additionally, football only has 11 minutes of actual ball-in-motion action per game. Divide that in half since you have offense and defense and you're looking at less than six minutes of athletic activity per player.

No, that isn't how it works at all

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

African AIDS cum posted:

No, that isn't how it works at all

True because players aren't on the field for every play of the game in American football. For example running backs and wide receiver rotate out for offensive plays so you have perhaps 4 minutes of activity per game.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Yes you can really measure the impact of a physical anaerobic sport by how many minutes some nebbish NYC blogger with a stopwatch calculated

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
Hey real talk I played competitive baseball into my early-20s, but the most physically spent I've ever been was after playing 4 rec league soccer games in one week. poo poo was rough.

Also DC United are trash. I'm salty about that crap team still.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wrestlers must be the laziest athletes because they are only active for less than five minutes, clearly that makes it an extremely easy and not taxing sport. I firmly believe this. Unrelated but I also love the Timbers and turn of the century trains, thanks for reading.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Is it dumb strawman day or what

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
no, that was yesterday when dc put scarecrows in for their starting xi

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

As someone who generally doesn't care about most East Coast teams, what happened, DC? Weren't you points clear in the supporters shield race last summer?

Also arguing over which sports are most taxing is dumb af. Teams and Leagues want to get as many practices and games out of their athletes as they possibly can and because of that every single sport is taxing in it's own way. Soccer only happens once or twice a week because running around after a ball for 90 minutes is loving exhausting, and if you don't recognize that, I highly suggest you join a local rec team.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Welcome to GBS posted:

As someone who generally doesn't care about most East Coast teams, what happened, DC? Weren't you points clear in the supporters shield race last summer?

Benny Olsen replaced young good players (and some old lovely players) with old lovely players. Plus the already old lovely players got one year older and shittier. Both Hamid and Kitchen are gone at the moment, and their absence cannot be understated.

Let me break it down as best I can:

1) Bill Hamid, possibly the best young goalkeeper in America, is hurt. His replacements are utter crap.
2) Both center mids left. Perry Kitchen hosed off to Scotland. Davy Arnaud (sucks) retired. They have been replaced by an old Marcelo Sarvas and converted winger Nick Deleon. Halsti, Jeffrey, and rookie Buescher can't find many minutes yet. They aren't very good, but can't be worse.
3) Two new wingers who aren't exactly bad, but definitely not good (Nyarko and Neagle). Olsen also has no idea how to deploy them.
4) The back line is exactly the same, but both Boswell and Franklin are past it (but still serviceable). Birnbaum is excellent; Kemp is looking more and more like a pumpkin every day.
5) Strikers are woefully inconsistent. Both Rolfe and Espindola are either invisible or a one-man wrecking crew. Saborio, last week not withstanding, is also past it.
6) Our shiny new Argentinian talisman Luciano Acosta is deployed as a super sub. He looks immense.
7) Ben Olsen is a horrible offensive tactician. His entire strategy relies on telling players to work really hard and track back. It's always been bad, but he's had talents like De Rosario and Espindola to bail him out in the past. So far this year, they have not. He's also had solid-as-hell defense-minded players like Hamid and Kitchen.

Yesterday they should have won though. Despite all that horrible poo poo, DC looked the better team for much of the game. Oh well. :downs:

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
Send Paddy Nyarko back to Chicago, tia

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever
I HATE THIS LEAGUE ADN EVERYONE IN IT

see you next week

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Welcome to GBS posted:

Age and transfers mostly. Arnaud got his last concussion and retired, while Kitchen refused to sign because he caught euro fever and now he's a star at Hearts per early reviews. Halsti never materialized and came to camp out of shape. DeLeon is being played out of position as an attacking mid, and he's lost as a result. Espindola has aged, Rolfe has aged, and Acosta is loving brilliant but Olsen won't start him.

At best we're a marginal playoff team. At worst, it won't be 2013, but we won't win poo poo.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hoover Dam posted:

see you next week

Same, actual OP.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Hoover Dam posted:

see you next week

I have felt this way for a long time

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hey guys! Did everyone else have a great weekend... Oh. Oh dang.

E: seems like reddit thinks Baptista's Pk was totally not a handball. Lol

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
Manager-manager fighting is my favorite fighting

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

E: seems like reddit thinks Baptista's Pk was totally not a handball. Lol

It looked to have hit Farrell's hand before Baptista's.
https://twitter.com/UCFMike21/status/721794174136238080

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Chicago's game against Montreal made it abundantly clear that this team isn't getting anywhere close to climbing out of the basement without David Accam.

I had (low) hopes for Gilberto and Alvarez, but they've both been atrocious. Half the time they can't even get a corner anywhere close to a Fire player. Gilberto has wasted so many chances by having a terrible first touch and not looking for teammates.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Hedges is out for a month, torn meniscus when he visited Portland.

I pretty sure the Sounders are still #1 best player killing carpet team, but the Timbers are making a push to try and surpass them at yet another thing.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

SeaTard posted:

Hedges is out for a month, torn meniscus when he visited Portland.

I pretty sure the Sounders are still #1 best player killing carpet team, but the Timbers are making a push to try and surpass them at yet another thing.

Have you seen how teams have been playing us? The Timbers are not an aggressive team, but every single team has brought a physical game into our faces, likely because it has proven to be an extremely method of stopping us. The proof is in the pudding: half of our starting line up is out, and a fair few of them are from tackles that were completely reckless.

If you want the Timbers in a clean game, you have to beat them at their own game, which I honestly think very few teams in MLS are capable of.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Welcome to GBS posted:

Have you seen how teams have been playing us? The Timbers are not an aggressive team, but every single team has brought a physical game into our faces, likely because it has proven to be an extremely method of stopping us. The proof is in the pudding: half of our starting line up is out, and a fair few of them are from tackles that were completely reckless.

If you want the Timbers in a clean game, you have to beat them at their own game, which I honestly think very few teams in MLS are capable of.

Please frame this post. Adi's elbows alone precludes your team from ever being considered 'clean', then you factor in Nat Borchers and Grabavoy, and it's not even close.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Please frame this post. Adi's elbows alone precludes your team from ever being considered 'clean', then you factor in Nat Borchers and Grabavoy, and it's not even close.

Cleaner than whatever poo poo team you follow.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

And this leaving off Diego "2011 and 2014 Fouls Committed Champion" Chara to boot.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

whypick1 posted:

And this leaving off Diego "2011 and 2014 Fouls Committed Champion" Chara to boot.

I'm not saying we don't commit fouls. But I Diego has gotten a total of two red cards in his now 6 seasons in MLS. We play the team to the level they want to bring it, but blaming the Timbers for your injury woes is pathetic. Players don't leave Providence in a wheelchair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Welcome to GBS posted:

Cleaner than whatever poo poo team you follow.

Fantastic! You know what's funny? Your team has more fouls committed, yellow cards, and reds than mine.

Hint: My team is the Galaxy.

• Locked thread