Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

CJacobs posted:

I don't know what you're talking about, the guide is a very reliable source of infor
Hah! I didn't even notice this misprint in my copy. Prima is still owned by EA if I remember rightly, plus write their own poo poo without including the game devs, and god, it shows. Nearly every boss is basically three paragraphs of, 'roll away from attacks, hit boss' with hardly any detail whatsoever. It's so bloody lazy and obviously been rushed out for release, compared to the guides for the other games.

The other guides by Future Press were insanely detailed. Diagrams, and even screenshots that showed you when to parry or roll. The Bloodborne guide even had diagrams for each weapon that showed which frames you could parry or roll out of.

The guide doesn't even mention you can parry the first boss and make his first phase a joke. Not even a single sentence. At least the notebook looks nice. :allears: Apparently the flask with the Estus edition is basically a piece of unfinished green plastic that looks like poo poo.

limited fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The most powerful PVP weapon is not your weapon, but rather, your legs.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Andrast posted:

A raw astora straight sword should do plenty of damage to him.

Should. but doesn't. Unless my standards are too high? It's a Raw +5, 245 base damage, and it's doing 115 to him with a one-handed R1 attack.

I know boss's HP goes up when you summon, but do their resistances?

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

limited posted:

Hah! I didn't even notice this misprint in my copy. Prima is still owned by EA if I remember rightly, plus write their own poo poo without including the game devs, and god, it shows. Nearly every boss is basically three paragraphs of, 'roll away from attacks, hit boss' with hardly any detail whatsoever. It's so bloody lazy and obviously been rushed out for release, compared to the guides for the other games.

The other guides by Future Press were insanely detailed. Diagrams, and even screenshots that showed you when to parry or roll. The Bloodborne guide even had diagrams for each weapon that showed which frames you could parry or roll out of.

The guide doesn't even mention you can parry the first boss and make his first phase a joke. Not even a single sentence. At least the notebook looks nice. :allears: Apprently the flask with the Estus edition is basically a piece of unfinished green plastic that looks like poo poo.

I also like how that page seems to suggest swapping to heavy armor to become "a brick wall/sponge/brute", while in reality armor does nothing meaningful at all.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
Sorry y'all are having such a hard time keeping track of your opponents, but it hasn't been a big deal to me at all.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endgame spoiler, do not click unless you've beaten the game.

Is this supposed to happen? I thought it was a bug, but when I played it back, I caught some animation frames leading up to it. It being a bug would surprise me more than it turning out to be an inside joke from From, because well, you know.

https://youtu.be/41ZVQiE_OGs

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

.Ataraxia. posted:

Try this, worked for me:

Thanks, I'll give this a shot. Also haha, I didn't know you could get invaded if you ember up in areas you already finished. Finally got a kill, then immediately got invaded before I could switch covenants.

quote:

Why are you letting your opponent run away? Maybe you don't have enough stamina? Don't have a ranged weaponry option? Come on, you have to be prepared for a fight if you want to fight.

Lmao, it's trivial to get away from everything in DS3. Rolling is king and estus is instantaneous.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

RBA Starblade posted:

Joined a host's world, the host isn't actually the host it says it is (or is even in the game), kill the actual host, got nothing for it. :thumbsup:

there's a ring that can make phantoms look like the host including changing their title when you lock onto them.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Anal Surgery posted:

I haven't beaten any bosses in late-game Lothric Castle yet, but I gotta say, I think the world of DS3 might be my favorite designed game world out of all the Bloodsouls games. Everything feels lived in, connected, logical, and evokes a strong sense of history and use. DS1 was close to this, but I think technology has allowed DS3 to really create something that feels like a real place. I'm a big fan of DS2, but out side of Brume Tower, Eleum Loyce, and maybe Forest of the Fallen Giants, everything just felt flatter or emptier. Drangleic Castle looks majestic from the outside, but inside it's just one long linear hallway. Lothric Castle, on the other hand, feels like this warren of rooms, halls, galleries, and passageways, much like a real castle. Lothric Castle, Undead Settlement, and Irithryll feel much bigger and busier than even the ever popular Anor Londo.

DS3 also makes me not miss too terribly the central interconnectedness of DS1. For all the talk of DS1's interwoven world, it's really just Firelink and Undead Parish that have all these looping branches and revisits. Once you hit Anor Londo though, you basically just start working your way down linear paths anyway. I think you get the same sense of connectedness from Lothric Castle and Irithryll, it's just that they aren't central hubs.

I love love this game world

I will definitely say Irithyll of the Boreal Valley is my favorite Souls area ever

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ShadowMar posted:

there's a ring that can make phantoms look like the host including changing their title when you lock onto them.

I saw the host and his phantoms. None of them were who the game said to kill.

Ataraxia, that link's broken btw. Could you give the full one?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

enojy posted:

Is this supposed to happen? I thought it was a bug, but when I played it back, I caught some animation frames leading up to it. It being a bug would surprise me more than it turning out to be an inside joke from From, because well, you know.

Yeah I had that happen and went ok not doing that again

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

enojy posted:

Happened to me too. Seems to be an ability he has during his curved sword stage, but I've never actually seen him do a regular parry animation - only this weird thing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Parrying feels useless in pvp when it only does like <400 damage and the host can just roll away 5 times and heal up.

have you considered throwing an undead hunters talisman while they're on the ground after parrying? ty

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

GreyPowerVan posted:

have you considered throwing an undead hunters talisman while they're on the ground after parrying? ty

You know, in four games I have never landed one of those.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Wurzag posted:

How do you level up in the Blue sentinels? I can't join the darkmoons without killing yorshka and she won't let me trade in the items

Posted this a few pages back, can't find anything anywhere to answer it, just guides naming a particular npc as the person you trade the covenant items in to which doesn't help as they won't let me trade them in

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Wurzag posted:

Posted this a few pages back, can't find anything anywhere to answer it, just guides naming a particular npc as the person you trade the covenant items in to which doesn't help as they won't let me trade them in

you need the Darkmoon Loyalty gesture you get from Sirris' questline

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone please tell me there's a faster way to get to the Prince than walking from the Armor bonfire and taking a 5 minute elevator. This isn't punishment, it's a timesink.

I've had such a great time with this game, but the last part from the Grand Archives onward have been pretty unfun :( It's like they decided to go Kaizo Souls, and the only way to progress is to run past everything. First with the constant bombardment of magic at random intervals from random angles, then with the gank squad who use estus and then a bridge filled with something like 20 enemies including a handful of red eyed knights. To top it off the boss is a huge jerk and I've spent five times longer waiting for elevators than actually fighting him, since he can two-shot me if I'm unlucky.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

GreyPowerVan posted:

then they just run away until they can heal again and you can't punish running away so really you're just extending the fight by another 10 minutes, at least that's been my experience using them.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yes, quite a few times. It takes so long to throw that by the time they've gotten up and rolled away, you've probably missed. Then they run away till the debuff is gone. Oh yeah and for some reason they only let you carry 5 at at time :downs:

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Someone please tell me there's a faster way to get to the Prince than walking from the Armor bonfire and taking a 5 minute elevator. This isn't punishment, it's a timesink.

I've had such a great time with this game, but the last part from the Grand Archives onward have been pretty unfun :( It's like they decided to go Kaizo Souls, and the only way to progress is to run past everything. First with the constant bombardment of magic at random intervals from random angles, then with the gank squad who use estus and then a bridge filled with something like 20 enemies including a handful of red eyed knights. To top it off the boss is a huge jerk and I've spent five times longer waiting for elevators than actually fighting him, since he can two-shot me if I'm unlucky.

there's an elevator directly to the right if you're facing the boss fog from outside, on that top plateau bit. its about a 45 second run each death if you use the Dancer bonfire

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
found out theres a lot of variance in where your weapon hits depending on whether you look up or down still, so the longsword 2h r2 catches rolls so good lmao

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Siegward question at Cathedral of the Deep - I bought his armor from Patches, but I'm unable to return it to him at the well. The only option available is "Do Nothing." Am I missing something?

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I think they might have made Seed of a Giant Tree too plentiful...every late game invasion is now 1 red phantom vs a host, 1-2 other phantoms plus sometimes a bluecop, and all the enemies.

Feels like the early areas are much better for it - right up until the Aldritch Faithful hotspot seems to be the cutoff, afterward PvP is just kinda unfun right now. Luckily I have some low-leveled alts, and that's still a blast! Lots of neat areas to invade and fight in.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Oxxidation posted:

Siegward question at Cathedral of the Deep - I bought his armor from Patches, but I'm unable to return it to him at the well. The only option available is "Do Nothing." Am I missing something?

you need the pierce shield as well

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Oxxidation posted:

Did you buy his shield too? Think you might need that.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Oxxidation posted:

did you make sure to buy all 4 pieces, you need the helmet, torso, arms, and legs

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ShadowMar posted:

did you make sure to buy all 4 pieces, you need the helmet, torso arms, and legs

I've got all 4 pieces, yeah.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Vargs posted:

I also like how that page seems to suggest swapping to heavy armor to become "a brick wall/sponge/brute", while in reality armor does nothing meaningful at all.
Actually leafing through and reading, the guide is so hilariously bad. The covenant chapter actually has a sentence under the Mound-Makers that doesn't actually mention how to join the covenant, but they don't mention it there in case of spoilers.

In a strategy guide. In the chapter about Covenants, where you would reasonably look, to know how to join them if you missed them in the first place! :lol:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

So anyone that's done dark stuff, what are some good staves and chimes for casting hexes. Ones available early on, since I just finished the Cathedral of the Deep.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just invaded a guy fighting the Crystal Sage as the mad warrior. Moundmakers that's so crazy.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Did you buy his shield too? Think you might need that.

You can keep his shield indefinitely, it's not required.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
When DS1 launched, the balance was straight broken - upgrading weapons didn't improve their scaling so lightning weapons (which in that game were the base damage class with no stat scaling) were the only way.

So, there's hope that they'll address the crummy sorcery and stuff in this.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

satsui no thankyou posted:

there's an elevator directly to the right if you're facing the boss fog from outside, on that top plateau bit. its about a 45 second run each death if you use the Dancer bonfire

That's dancer -> elevator -> elevator right? No enemies, just waiting for elevators? It just seems bizarre.

Either way, I beat him after posting that (of course) and like a lot of bosses in this game the key was to ditch the shield. Even with a high-stability shield, bosses in this game drain so much stamina if you get hit that you never get the chance to counterattack. Relying on dodges and the ample amount of estus for when you inevitably make a mistake seems to be the way.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Genocyber posted:

So anyone that's done dark stuff, what are some good staves and chimes for casting hexes. Ones available early on, since I just finished the Cathedral of the Deep.

There literally are no "early" staves/chimes for hexes, so just stick with the highest Spell Buff until you get izalith/archdeacon staff and sunless/caitha chime (pyro glove is its own best hex tool)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having a lot more success as a moundmaker than a red phantom. Everything seems more my level when I do that; does red invade infinitely upwards again?

quote:

So, there's hope that they'll address the crummy sorcery and stuff in this.

I wouldn't count on sorcery not sucking after what happened in DS.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Question: when you guys talk about stunlock, do you simply mean attacking an enemy constantly so they are "stuck" or is this a whole 'nother mechanic of actually stuninng the enemy?

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
The way I see it, sorcery/pyro/miracles are now solidly just a complement to your melee skills. The days of using nothing but lightning spears like in DS1 and 2 are long gone.

The only spell that's been consistently worth casting for me is fire orb, the rest do gently caress all damage for their cost and windup time. Even then, I have to equip sage ring, swamp ring and witch ring to make it work.
I tried to make Farron flashsword and magic greatsword work, because they just look so cool, but they still do much less damage than a bog standard crystal longsword. It's a shame.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if anyone has the carthus curved sword or carthus curved greatsword can you give them to me. im having a lot of trouble getting them to drop

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Lakbay posted:

I think I used a bow twice to get two hanging items in undead settlement. Where did you find bows useful?

Pulling enemies from far away, mostly. And sometimes sniping enemies who want to stay back and cast spells or try to bait you into traps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Azazell0 posted:

Question: when you guys talk about stunlock, do you simply mean attacking an enemy constantly so they are "stuck" or is this a whole 'nother mechanic of actually stuninng the enemy?

It's what you think. You keep hitting the enemy so they're stuck in a stagger animation.