Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Currently writing the OP for my new thread "So the NFL finished so who should I follow in American Cricket?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

El Seano posted:

Currently writing the OP for my new thread "So the NFL finished so who should I follow in American Cricket?"

lol if australian football isn't your offseason sport

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Volkerball posted:

Aussie Rules football is literally one of the most confusing sports I've ever witnessed. So in fairness it is probably a good candidate for my offseason woes unless Golden State sweeps the entire playoffs.

At least I've got the time honored joy of watching an overhyped England squad get the gently caress kicked through them in the European Championship this summer. By the time that's done I guess it'll nearly be NFL time again.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Volkerball posted:

Word. I wish it was more available in the US:sigh:. I bet it will start catching on as soon as a black hockey player dominates the NHL and White America needs a new sport.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Tell me more about scouts.

How in demand are good scouts, i.e. the foot soldiers of the front office?
Are they gone the second another clubs offers a few more pennies?
Does quality automatically means an eventual promotion?
Is it a job that requires actual skill or training, or do some people "just have it?"
Is their role diminished in "moneyball-like" front offices?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
I can't really answer any of your questions other than the last, and the answer is yes somewhat diminished. But still very important, football isn't like baseball where you can look at numbers and figure out what type of guy a player is more often than not.

But if you are interested in the subject (like how to actually do it) Steve Belichick's (Bill's dad) book is 99 cents if you have a kindle.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

OperaMouse posted:

Tell me more about scouts.

How in demand are good scouts, i.e. the foot soldiers of the front office?
Are they gone the second another clubs offers a few more pennies?
Does quality automatically means an eventual promotion?
Is it a job that requires actual skill or training, or do some people "just have it?"
Is their role diminished in "moneyball-like" front offices?

I'm not super well versed in this, but I did look into it a while back because it's interesting. Basically the scouting pipeline starts at college level recruiting. From there, they establish networks with college coaches and if they're lucky, eventually they'll get some entry level work with an NFL team. But there doesn't seem to be much turnover in scouting. Every team has a ton of scouts who have been with them for decades. If they move up to taking larger roles with the team, like GM, their seats get a little less stable. The one other thing to mention is that it's an extremely nepotistic line of work. Think of a racing family like the Earnhardt's, the Andretti's, etc. Their kids get introduced to racing at a way younger age, and have so many privileges when it comes to racing that people who aren't raised by a race car driver don't get. The same is true for kids who grow up in NFL families. If you're hanging out in the front office at 6 years old watching film, the odds anyone is going to be able to exceed what you can do without having the same childhood is not very good. So these families are all really well entrenched and they don't move around a whole lot. Of course, other people do get into it via the pipeline I was just discussing, but it's not nearly as common.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 18, 2016

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Why does the first pick in the draft still use all their time on the clock? What are they doing in those minutes that they didn't do in the weeks beforehand?

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Sash! posted:

Why does the first pick in the draft still use all their time on the clock? What are they doing in those minutes that they didn't do in the weeks beforehand?

Waiting to see if a dumb team panics and calls and offers them the farm, basically.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sash! posted:

There aren't 100 cameras and an army of breathless commentators awaiting their pronouncement weeks beforehand. The draft is a media event. It's more about advertising the league. If it was just about choosing players they could do it in a conference room.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Does the draft clock ever run out on anybody?

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

Does the draft clock ever run out on anybody?

The Vikings missed two years in a row once upon a time. One year the Bears screwed someone over on a trade, the other team thought it went through but the Bears didn't bother to tell the league so the clock ran out on them.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Grittybeard posted:

The Vikings missed two years in a row once upon a time. One year the Bears screwed someone over on a trade, the other team thought it went through but the Bears didn't bother to tell the league so the clock ran out on them.

:lol:

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

:lol: the bears hosed over the ravens so they could draft Gabe Carimi

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Dez Bryant was already considered a bit hot-headed when he was drafted, right? A guy like that needs a level headed mentor who commands respect in the locker room, but can also maintain a strong working relationship with the front office. Imagine an NFL where the Ravens had drafted Dez Bryant, and then stuck him with Ray Rice as a role model.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Counterpoint: he'd have a ring AND a elite quarterback

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Do most drafts work out like this? Two late trades to move up that completely gently caress every draft mock made for the 2 months prior? News stories coming out dropping the stock of players previously considered a top 5 lock?

I feel conflicted now that the Giants could feasibly get my previous dream player in Myles Jack but at the same time I wonder whether or not his knee is hosed. Though from what I read on Giants fan sites there is basically zero chance of them drafting LB in the first.

I'm also very confused why the Eagles want the 2nd pick so bad in a draft that was never considered a great QB draft. I'm told you only EVER trade up for a franchise QB and I've read nothing to suggest ANY QB in this draft is that.

Either way for a new fan this whole months long ordeal got a little more interesting at least.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

No, normally drafts go one of two ways:

There's a great QB prospect at the top and the worst team cackles all the way to the bank or there isn't a great QB prospect and the team at #1 tries to trade it and failing that, convinces themselves to take a QB anyway, or settles for the best looking tackle or pass rusher.

Pre-draft trades, let alone two of them are pretty bonkers crazy-town.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008

Kalli posted:

Pre-draft trades, let alone two of them are pretty bonkers crazy-town.

And I suppose even further bonkers crazy-town when this isn't even that good of a draft from what I gather.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

pangstrom posted:

You really should never trade up unless it's for a potential franchise QB, though... a lot of teams do anyway.
Just to sort of qualify/elaborate on the above
1) NFL decision-makers are sometimes in a win-now (or show promise for the future) or it's all pointless anyway. If you're an owner who keeps himself out of the football decisions completely but ALSO have the coach on the short leash, well you can get into the football team version of an Enron situation.
2) Maybe the teams think this is going to be their shot at a franchise QB. I remember sort of general chuckling when Bortles was picked but maybe the Jags were actually on to something.
3) In some future where trading up didn't cost a team so goddamn much than I wouldn't be against trading up. For some reason it's almost always a total fleecing and goddamn these are brutal.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

El Seano posted:

Do most drafts work out like this? Two late trades to move up that completely gently caress every draft mock made for the 2 months prior? News stories coming out dropping the stock of players previously considered a top 5 lock?

I feel conflicted now that the Giants could feasibly get my previous dream player in Myles Jack but at the same time I wonder whether or not his knee is hosed. Though from what I read on Giants fan sites there is basically zero chance of them drafting LB in the first.

I'm also very confused why the Eagles want the 2nd pick so bad in a draft that was never considered a great QB draft. I'm told you only EVER trade up for a franchise QB and I've read nothing to suggest ANY QB in this draft is that.

Either way for a new fan this whole months long ordeal got a little more interesting at least.

No, this is loving huge and one of the more entertaining drafts because of it.

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
Just quick fire what can you tell me about these players:

Barkevious Mingo

EJ Manuel

Alec Ogletree

Quinton Coples

Trent Richardson

Justin Blackmon

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Horrible disappointments, except for Ogletree, maybe.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

El Seano posted:

Barkevious Mingo

EJ Manuel

Alec Ogletree

Quinton Coples

Trent Richardson

Justin Blackmon

A weird selection of dudes.

All of them are garbage except Ogletree.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Blackmon was a total badass but couldn't stop doing drugs/drinking and driving etc.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

El Seano posted:

Barkevious Mingo

EJ Manuel

Alec Ogletree

Quinton Coples

Trent Richardson

Justin Blackmon

Alec Ogletree owns A LOT. He is very athletic and a great defensive playmaker. He missed the last 2/3 of last season after breaking his leg.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

El Seano posted:

Barkevious Mingo

EJ Manuel

Alec Ogletree

Quinton Coples

Trent Richardson

Justin Blackmon

Richardson showed he had power but no vision or elusiveness

Mingo is quite small and lacks power but has good drive and contributes on run D more than you'd think given he was playing under 230 pounds (4 stone and 13 kg if you're British)

EJ Manuel was quite bad

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

El Seano posted:

Barkevious Mingo

EJ Manuel

Alec Ogletree

Quinton Coples

Trent Richardson

Justin Blackmon

Selection of first round busts of 2012 and 2013

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
What is the most important position on the offensive line. From what I can gather I think its LT or C but what do you think it is and why?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Historically it's been LT, though over the last, say, decade, the other positions have gained some relative standing in comparison.

Also historically Center was where the worst lineman physically could be. However, in most systems, the center is responsible for calling out blocking assignments, so tended to need to be the most studious of the game.

So the answer is: it's still left tackle, simply because the required physical skillset is just so rare in comparison.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
I'd trade King Dunlap for a healthy Nick Hardwick in a loving second

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kalli posted:

Historically it's been LT, though over the last, say, decade, the other positions have gained some relative standing in comparison.

Also historically Center was where the worst lineman physically could be. However, in most systems, the center is responsible for calling out blocking assignments, so tended to need to be the most studious of the game.

So the answer is: it's still left tackle, simply because the required physical skillset is just so rare in comparison.

I will amend that to say its whatever the opposite hand the QB uses to throw the ball. Right handed QB, LT more important. Left handed QB, RT more important.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

swickles posted:

I will amend that to say its whatever the opposite hand the QB uses to throw the ball. Right handed QB, LT more important. Left handed QB, RT more important.

I think both sides are pretty equally important now. The other team will just move their best pass rusher to go against the worse tackle.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Well, but rushing the blind side is still better than rushing the open side because the QB won't see the hit coming. If the best rusher has to move to the open side, that's a win for the offense; he might get through more, but the QB will also avoid a sack more (and when he is hit there will be fewer fumble-forcing sacks) when he does get through.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Asking here cause it's knowledge!!

So I was reading a Broncos blog and this guy brought up the idea that the Broncos drafted a punter to help alleviate cap space. Is this a strategy that a lot of teams follow? And I'm asking in regards to minor roles; not the bigtime, like dumping an old QB on a bad contract kinda poo poo.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Kalli posted:

This made me curious to look at the HoF list because I thought there might be more centers than anything else, but nope tackles.

Was amazed to see that the Steelers had a HoF center from 1974 to 2000 and two of them on the roster at the same time. Crazy!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

3 DONG HORSE posted:

Asking here cause it's knowledge!!

So I was reading a Broncos blog and this guy brought up the idea that the Broncos drafted a punter to help alleviate cap space. Is this a strategy that a lot of teams follow? And I'm asking in regards to minor roles; not the bigtime, like dumping an old QB on a bad contract kinda poo poo.
Yes, rookies are cheap and Britton Colquitt is on the last year of his contract and set to be paid $4M, $3.25M of which could be cap space for other players if they dumped him.
http://overthecap.com/player/britton-colquitt/2180/

It's not big big money but for a medicore punter it's worth trying to swap him out. And it could be an upgrade.

pangstrom fucked around with this message at 11:49 on May 2, 2016

El Seano
Dec 30, 2008
What do you think the best and worst stadiums are and why?

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

El Seano posted:

What do you think the best and worst stadiums are and why?

This is a great question, but I think would be better suited for it's own thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
worst is the raiders, second worst is the chargers. both of those stadiums are trashcans

• Locked thread