Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Oh it turns out Aldrich wasn't that hard of a boss

The bow attack he uses in his second phase is kind of lovely though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
I want to progress further in the game, but I can't get enough PvP in the area past pontiff. If you show the host you're willing to fight in a spot without enemies a lot of times they'll fight you without flasking.

One person I showed them how to find the covenant past the invisible bridge and then we had our fight on the invisible bridge

Game is great. I keep reading about some of the late game bullshit pissing people off, and it only makes me more excited to experience it myself :getin:

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

The way I see it, sorcery/pyro/miracles are now solidly just a complement to your melee skills. The days of using nothing but lightning spears like in DS1 and 2 are long gone.

The only spell that's been consistently worth casting for me is fire orb, the rest do gently caress all damage for their cost and windup time. Even then, I have to equip sage ring, swamp ring and witch ring to make it work.
I tried to make Farron flashsword and magic greatsword work, because they just look so cool, but they still do much less damage than a bog standard crystal longsword. It's a shame.

All the fire ball spells are great, doing good damage at good range. Chaos Bed Vestiges hits super loving hard, especially against things weak to fire. Three-shotting the Beast of Darkness? Sure thing, game.

Great Combustion is garbage, though. Same damage as Fire Orb but less range? What were you thinking From.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Only one attempt so far at abyss watchers and oh boy I can tell this boss is going to either be incredibly cool and good or super frustrating and aggravating a la Ornstein and Smough.
Kinda cool the road to that arena, though, with all the horrible goat monsters getting hosed by the darkwraiths.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
if anyone has the carthus swords ill be hanging out at the catacombs bonfire with the password carthus, put down your sign. ps4 btw. ill give you free stuff too

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

RBA Starblade posted:

I saw the host and his phantoms. None of them were who the game said to kill.

Ataraxia, that link's broken btw. Could you give the full one?

Stupid mobile... Here's the ports to forward:

PS4
TCP : 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 50042
UDP : 3478, 3479, 9305, 49152~65535, 50000~50003

XboxOne
TCP : 53, 80, 443, 3074, 50000, 50040
UDP : 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500

Windows
TCP : 27014~27050, 50050
UDP : 27000~27030, 3478, 4379, 4380, 50000~50003

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Smouldering Lake is probably my least favourite souls area ever, it's more boring looking than the dullest chalice dungeon, every enemy is a gigantic loving oval office and you get about as many souls for each kill as you do in the starting area, I mean seriously what's up with that?

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Maybe ban anyone on top of the darkmoon leaderboards on loving principle look at this doesn't-give-a-gently caress-who-knows rear end in a top hat

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

.Ataraxia. posted:

Stupid mobile... Here's the ports to forward:

PS4
TCP : 80, 443, 3478, 3479, 3480, 50042
UDP : 3478, 3479, 9305, 49152~65535, 50000~50003

XboxOne
TCP : 53, 80, 443, 3074, 50000, 50040
UDP : 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500

Windows
TCP : 27014~27050, 50050
UDP : 27000~27030, 3478, 4379, 4380, 50000~50003

Sweet, thanks a lot.

e: Mound invading at the stray demon is hilarious. The game still doesn't work, but it's fun.

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Krinkle posted:

Maybe ban anyone on top of the darkmoon leaderboards on loving principle look at this doesn't-give-a-gently caress-who-knows rear end in a top hat

well i mean it's obvious they were cheating anyways because who in the gently caress has 3000+ tongues. like everyone at the top is an obvious cheater because they all have literal thousands of points which is pretty dark souls standard i guess

the bigger surprise is having maxed out vigor only gives you 1.8k hp. that still gets shredded so quickly by bosses... like drat, i guess tanky builds in ng+ and beyond are just wack. or ng+ becomes a one-shot fest even for folks with a lot of vigor invested which sounds rela fun

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
:stare: soul stream

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got kicked out of invading to be invaded lol.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can both Sieg and Patches save Greirat? I assume just buying everything off Patches would have the desired effect, but it looks like there's an option to get both involved by only buying some of P's items.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 17, 2016

Aztec
Feb 15, 2012
Question about a side quest. The lady that shows up after the pilgrim guy dies just told me there's nothing left to say to me because I "forswore" the Lord's mark, but as far as I know nothing has changed. I just killed Aldritch. Last time I talked to Anri he was by the bonfire where the Assassin was hiding. Did I do something wrong?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Aztec posted:

Question about a side quest. The lady that shows up after the pilgrim guy dies just told me there's nothing left to say to me because I "forswore" the Lord's mark, but as far as I know nothing has changed. I just killed Aldritch. Last time I talked to Anri he was by the bonfire where the Assassin was hiding. Did I do something wrong?

if you heal it she leaves and you can't do either questline, iirc

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is there any reason to kill the Old Demon King other than for his soul (and a trophy first time)? There's nothing after his area and you don't even have to go through the rest of the Smouldering Lake area to get to him.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Am I overleveled or underleveled in Irithyll Dungeon at level 62 with a +6 weapon? Having trouble getting summoned here.

Aztec
Feb 15, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

if you heal it she leaves and you can't do either questline, iirc

I didn't heal it, though. Didn't change anything other than killing the boss. Oh well. I'm going to be doing a poo poo load of playthroughs. I can get it one of the other times I guess.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Holy loving poo poo my health drains just by looking at these things?

This is something

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I missed mound makers and I've heard you can get it later, but a certain npc can't be hostile. There is a woman in Firelink with cool looking white armor that I had never even talked to that all of a sudden told me that the next time we meet we will be enemies. is that her and what the gently caress did I do to trigger that?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

NESguerilla posted:

I missed mound makers and I've heard you can get it later, but a certain npc can't be hostile. There is a woman in Firelink with cool looking white armor that I had never even talked to that all of a sudden told me that the next time we meet we will be enemies. is that her and what the gently caress did I do to trigger that?

It is, and you oined this game's Dickwraith covenant equivalent

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

NESguerilla posted:

Yes, and you did Rosaria's Fingers covenant stuff

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Joined the Fingers covenant.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Jesus. I spent 3 hours (over 3 separate sessions, once quitting cause I had to leave and once because I went and progressed somewhere else for a bit) on Sulyvahn. I saw it all, man. 8 attempts sub 10% before dying. I'd seen fortunate stair dodges and bitter stair hits. Useless ghosts dead as soon as they arrived and lovely ghosts that won't take that last hit no matter how much I try, phase through the wall and spam the deadliest attacks. I could do the opening dance in my sleep. And in the end, on my kill I only used one single charge of Estus. I became Sulyvahn, and showed him the error of his ways.

This is probably the one fight in the game so far where I really regret pumping my Faith instead of grabbing HP/Stamina. Sure it's gotten me in trouble other bosses but it's always been manageable and more my own fault for not paying attention to it and overextending. And I usually get some use out of my Miracles during the fight. But this one, some more Stamina especially would have been the difference between getting hit or not so many times every fight. Green Blossoms are simply overpowered against this boss (so of course I blew half of them within the first hour and then never used them again out of fear of running out)! And the only spell I used was Dark Blade, the effect of which I could have replicated by just going a phys build anyway.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

ufarn posted:

Can both Sieg and Patches save Greirat? I assume just buying everything off Patches would have the desired effect, but it looks like there's an option to get both involved by only buying some of P's items.

I haven't completed that part of the quest line yet, but Patches is the person that kills Greirat. If you tell him where Greirat went he'll trap the theif somewhere and steal his stuff.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The Shortest Path posted:

It is, and you oined this game's Dickwraith covenant equivalent

poo poo. I guess at least it's something I can do early on my next run.

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Broseph Brostar posted:

I haven't completed that part of the quest line yet, but Patches is the person that kills Greirat. If you tell him where Greirat went he'll trap the theif somewhere and steal his stuff.

nah

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Anyone tried twin daggers in PVP? I'm having a lot of fun with them as a backup in PVE. They absolutely shred single tough enemies. Tried them in PVP though and it seems hard as gently caress to even get a hit in. Quickstep doesn't seem to be as good as I was hoping in PVP.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

To whoever recommended the Dark Sword a few pages ago, thank you. It led to me farming Darkwraiths, and now I'm a Zweihander wielding skull demon.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any tips for a Dex build for beginners? I've never done the more Dex based weapons in any of the other games, opting instead for the Giant Club and such. Any good weapons or armor I should be on the lookout for? I am currently about to beat Vordt.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This final boss, what the gently caress. What the gently caress.

Other than the magic phase which seems kinda bullshit, especially when you get other phases that have refilling homing soulmasses, I know I'm loving up. But this is just... :darksouls: I'm gonna be stuck here for the next month until I reach Git Gud Nirvana.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Oh drat Patches can save him. I always forget that he's not a complete rear end in a top hat

satsui no thankyou
Apr 23, 2011

Capsaicin posted:

Any tips for a Dex build for beginners? I've never done the more Dex based weapons in any of the other games, opting instead for the Giant Club and such. Any good weapons or armor I should be on the lookout for? I am currently about to beat Vordt.

the Uchigatana will carry ur sorry rear end the whole game. get it from the sword master guy at firelink

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

satsui no thankyou posted:

you need the Darkmoon Loyalty gesture you get from Sirris' questline

You still need this for the sentinels as well and not just the darkmoons?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

King of the Storm? More like King of unbelievable camera bullshit. :argh:

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Capsaicin posted:

You can get an Uchigatana right at the beginning of the game (fight that Hollowed out looking guy right outside Firelink), it has a solid moveset and can last you the whole game.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

BobTheJanitor posted:

King of the Storm? More like King of unbelievable camera bullshit. :argh:

The camera for a lot of that area is super bad and I don't know why it's so much worse there than anywhere else.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Okay I keep dying to the same thing, someone help me with this one (final boss):

He keeps switching into sorcerer form, casting Homing Crystal Soulmass and then switching into something else. The soulmass re-fills itself at least 3 times which means that I now have to fight ex. his pyromancer form while also dodging soulmasses which I feel like leads to a lot of unavoidable damage. I'll dodge his attacks only to be hit by the soulmass, or dodge the soulmass only to be hit by his attacks. It's not that he's oneshotting me or anything, I just keep dying because I run out of estus before he even gets into his second form.

fishception
Feb 20, 2011

~carrier has arrived~
Oven Wrangler

Harrow posted:

How's the Farron Greatsword for general PvE use? Worth hunting down some Titanite Scales to upgrade or should I hang onto my trusty Longsword?

This is from a while ago but I wanted to put my input in on the Farron Greatsword.

It is the tits. For PvP and PvE.

For PvP, most opponents that you are going to face on a regular basis have no idea how to counter it. And those that do, you have a few mixup options with some attacks to have some good counterplay. It helps that the wind-up for the L1 and the R1 are very similar.

For PvE, there are a lot of tall humanoid enemies that rely on horizontal swings, such as Dancer and Pontiff. The L1 not only gives you poise like whoah, it also makes your hitbox much shorter, so sometimes you can dodge under an attack and still hit. This is kind of weird though and I haven't really gotten it down to be reliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No area in any souls game has made me feel more like I'm just not up to the challenge than the start of Irylith, I literally haven't made it past the fire dude with his three sword zombie entourage yet and it seems like pure luck if I even make it past the three frosty sword maidens right at the start.
It's like the street before the bonfire at the start of BB except worse because I should be better by now.