Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy

6EQUJ5 6 7 posted:

I've got a spare memory lode 2, who should I use it for?

Is your Gilgamesh level 80? If not, Gilgamesh. Otherwise Cloud or Tyro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

6EQUJ5 6 7
Sep 1, 2012

I'd do the same as you.
Gilgamesh is not. The other two are though. Thanks!

jerkstores
Aug 6, 2001
The gyshal greens drop rate is so loving frustrating. Just lower the drops and increase the rate, you assholes! I have seen one drop in all of the ++ dungeons and that is all I have run for three days. Come on.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Schwartzcough posted:

So I want to take one 4* lightning-elemental summon from R1 to R4. Yeah, summons are probably rather suckful in general

Summons don't suck anymore.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Summons are insanely good now it owns

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Any Elemental Resistances to worry about in the ++ daily? I've been rolling with Leviathan and Valefor but I'm worried about that "Magic Dragon" enemy.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Take ice/lightning

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Valefor is non-elemental, so resistances don't matter there. Other than, well, Resistance, but nothing in the dailies should survive it barring you using an underpowered character or something.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Alxprit posted:

Any Elemental Resistances to worry about in the ++ daily? I've been rolling with Leviathan and Valefor but I'm worried about that "Magic Dragon" enemy.

The dragons resist earth. There are some ice/lightning vulnerable mobs, but mostly take whatever that isn't quake/fat Chocobo. Also most of them are vulnerable to break/KO.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well Chadarnook would have been easier if I didn't go in with Waterja on Terra, but got there in the end. Really the only tricky thing was not accidentally hitting Goddess form and getting countered.

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

Evil Fluffy posted:

Why are you using Tailwind at the beginning of a fight? I know it gives protectga but if you're using it for that it seems like a waste unless your setup simply cannot afford to fit it elsewhere for some reason.

I like to optimize efficiency, and would rather overlap in something that requires multiple applications (healing) than something that usually doesn't (Protectga). I have redundancy in healing (Garnet's Divine Guardian), and by not having another Protectga, I allow Garnet to be flexible with either Diaga and a summon, or a Curaja if needed for spot healing, or Shellga if I want Paladin Cecil and Agrias to both have Lifesiphon and a knight ability (Saint Cross, Banishing Strike, Armor Strike, etc).

I suppose in my max-mitigation setup I don't use Tailwind immediately, but in the future if we got another RM giving an SB-gauge at the start of battle, I probably would. I like neutering/spaying/removing the gonads from bosses even beyond the point of being necessary. Watching them hit with double-digit damage is hilarious.

Also, here is my max-mitigation setup, RW Shout or Planet Protector:

Replace Agrias's Lifesiphon with an -aga spellblade if the boss has a weakness, or two and give Saint Cross to Cecil. The bench includes Sephiroth with Black Materia and Vivi with Double Decay for some flexibility in damage dealing. Regarding that localization change, I just assumed the "Decay" was referring to the orbital decay of the big asteroid caused by the little asteroids attaching to the big one. :science:

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
I only have 1 mc2 crystal left. Do I break cloud just to get a mako might?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

KataraniSword posted:

Quetzacoatl is at least as powerful as a -ja

It actually isn't. Quetz is 800 potency, -jas are 900 potency.

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

Erdricks posted:

I only have 1 mc2 crystal left. Do I break cloud just to get a mako might?

YES.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Nephrite posted:

Is your Gilgamesh level 80? If not, Gilgamesh. Otherwise Cloud or Tyro.

Tyro and Cloud's RM3s are invaluable and should be prioritized over Gilgamesh even if you have a Genji Blade unless the player has literally zero defensive/support SBs.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

There has not been an +,++,+++,ultimate where I have not used both Mako Might and Dr Mog.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Goodbye Platinum Sword. I spent 300+ mythril chasing you but it was not to be :qq:

Oh well, I'll just have to be satisfied with my absurdly powerful Agrias and her two broken relics. I did not know going into this that the +10 Attack mastery bonus gives her the second highest attack power in the game, just slightly below Sephiroth. gently caress yeah.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Looking forward to actually being able to experiment with team setups vs the [U+] since it costs 1 stam, one of my biggest gripes about mobile games like this is that you can't replay hard content without waiting/paying for stam refills.

Kawalimus
Jan 17, 2008

Better Living Through Birding And Pessimism

Beasteh posted:

Looking forward to actually being able to experiment with team setups vs the [U+] since it costs 1 stam, one of my biggest gripes about mobile games like this is that you can't replay hard content without waiting/paying for stam refills.

I was thinking this before too. It would be fun to make up my own little challenges on ultimates and see if I could win. Maybe I can do that with +

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Zurai posted:

Ugh, god, I got all the facts wrong last night, didn't I? :cripes: Sorry. Goes to show me not to post while sick.

IcePhoenix posted:

Jesus Christ the ++ EXP dungeon gives 175k exp (compared to 99k for the +)

For anyone keeping track at home, that's how much a three-mini wave was giving in Orbfest, roughly. The ++ EXP daily costs more, sure, but that's a reliable 175k as opposed to "it could be 175k or 75k but it'll probably be about 95k".

Benthalus
Jul 5, 2002

KataraniSword posted:

For anyone keeping track at home, that's how much a three-mini wave was giving in Orbfest, roughly. The ++ EXP daily costs more, sure, but that's a reliable 175k as opposed to "it could be 175k or 75k but it'll probably be about 95k".

Yes, but orbs. ORBS.

I want my orbfest.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
Holy gently caress Galufs SB is awful. One hit, one target. I guess Its useful if your desperate for boostga.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

CaptainPsyko posted:

Summons don't suck anymore.

Perhaps "suckful" is too strong a word, but RES scores for ultimate bosses is already going up steadily, so attacks that are only about as strong as -ajas but get half the casts are a somewhat questionable investment at this point. But eh, gotta have something for the summoners to do.

KataraniSword posted:

Non-Elemental orbs aren't in nearly as high of a demand as Wind Orbs, just because most of the good stuff they're used for are situational (AoEs, Flare) or not out in Global yet.

This is especially true of Greaters, which are used for a few Summons (Quetz, Valefor, Maduin), the Breakdowns, and Banishing Strike. (Oh, and more AoEs from Samurai.) If you don't have your breakdowns - at least Power/Magic - honed up to 4/5 or higher, I dunno why you're considering summon honing, myself. :shrug:

Quetzacoatl is at least as powerful as a -ja, with a paralyze chance (that, as stated, will never be relevant really) and AoE in exchange for half as many uses per hone. Ixion is a bit stronger, but wind orbs compete with Dismissal, Diaga, Curaja (which, again, you should already have honed up as high as it can go), Steal Power, and (if we count 5*s) both Saint Cross and Thief's Revenge.

Zurai posted:

Yeah, this. It's getting to the point where an -aja hitting a weakness with a high MAG character can't hit the damage cap against tough bosses (people were having a very hard time getting near the damage cap against Chad with Diaga, for example). I don't know if it's wise to skimp on power further when a lot of the summoners I might be using are actually white/summoners with mediocre MAG stats. I do agree that Wind orbs are more valuable, though, which is what makes the choice tough.

But as I get healing SBs, I don't really think I need a 5/5 Curaja anymore; R4 has been working fine. Similarly I don't think I've ever used up all the casts on even a R3 Diaga.

Anyway, I've decided to put off my dreams of making and honing Bahamut to R3, when I realized that for the cost of a R3 Bahamut I could make and hone over 3 sets of R5 Maduin, and still have 42 Major Dark Orbs untouched. R5 maduin puts out slightly more damage than R3 Bahamut, although over 5 casts instead of 3. Still, more casts means more SB charging for my casters, which is arguably an upside.

All those extra Summon Orbs I had set aside for Bahamut should let me really fill out my summon list, with probably:

R5 Maduin
R4 Valefor
R4 Alexander
R4 Leviathan
R4 Othros
R4 Phoenix
R4 Ixion or Quetzalcoatl god damnit argh.

Edit:

ApplesandOranges posted:

Is Syldra out of the question? Same potency as Ixion, but uses more Summon orbs in exchange for not using Major Lightnings. Wind orb cost is greater though.

Oh, yeah- it's weaker than Ixion and uses a lot more of the wind orbs I care about. Wind orbs are far more valuable than Lightning, so I don't care much that Ixion/Quetz use WAY more lightning orbs.

Schwartzcough fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Apr 17, 2016

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Why Phoenix. R5 Ifrit hits harder and is way cheaper. That's my list of summons minus Ulty and Valefor, I don't see the need for 2 of the same.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Beasteh posted:

Why Phoenix. R5 Ifrit hits harder and is way cheaper. That's my list of summons minus Ulty and Valefor, I don't see the need for 2 of the same.

Phoenix is 800 potency vs. Ifrit's 550. So a R5 Ifrit has a total potency of 2750 vs. a R4 Phoenix's potency of 3200. Plus Phoenix has the revival if it ever ends up being relevant. And while Ifrit does have the double-hit property, the chances of getting a 550 potency Ifrit to break the 9999 damage cap vs tough bosses is virtually 0. Edit: Also, I don't have much else demanding my fire orbs, so why not. That said, I've already got a R4 Ifrit.

Ultros could be handy in the odd bossfight when blind is valuable. He's basically a magical version of Blind Shot, so there's some utility there. And Valefor and Maduin have the highest multipliers of the 4* summons, and sometimes you might want to just load up on non-elemental damage. I only have Valefor because I made and honed it a long time ago; these days Maduin seems like the much wiser investment, but I'm not breaking Valefor down now.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I love my R3 Phoenix for babysitting garbo characters on dailies, but that's admittedly super niche, and I'd never hone it past that. Honestly, even R2 would be plenty.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Lechtansi posted:

Holy gently caress Galufs SB is awful. One hit, one target. I guess Its useful if your desperate for boostga.

RIght now I have no Hastega or Wall, so if I manged to get a source of Haste I could actually use Galuf and RW Wall instead of Shout like I normally do. But yeah, it's pretty bad for an SB, but it's still better then default.

And someone might benefit from the thunder damage boost like... uh.

Cross referencing people who can wield Hammers with access to Spellblade, Dragoon or a Lightning SB(just Stormlance Grimoire) Tyro, Luneth, Gilgamesh and Delita.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

KataraniSword posted:

Now imagine getting triple mini-cactuar waves in a ++ orbfest xp level. :getin:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
If only I could summon a RW three times, then I'd be able to handle the Heroic difficulty dailies. I guess that would make them a bit too OP though. It's a shame that I can't really handle anything that gives out Greater orbs since Shellga is all I really need due to being able to just Protect and Draw Fire with Ramza.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Schwartzcough posted:

Phoenix is 800 potency vs. Ifrit's 550. So a R5 Ifrit has a total potency of 2750 vs. a R4 Phoenix's potency of 3200. Plus Phoenix has the revival if it ever ends up being relevant. And while Ifrit does have the double-hit property, the chances of getting a 550 potency Ifrit to break the 9999 damage cap vs tough bosses is virtually 0. Edit: Also, I don't have much else demanding my fire orbs, so why not. That said, I've already got a R4 Ifrit.

Yeah but it's two hits so you only need to hit 5k to out damage Phoenix.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

You basically need a Faithga at this point to use mages in high end content.

I have one, but it's on Garnet, so I'm stuck between choosing a Faithga or a Hastega+Heavy Regen. :negative:

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.

Twelve by Pies posted:

If only I could summon a RW three times, then I'd be able to handle the Heroic difficulty dailies. I guess that would make them a bit too OP though. It's a shame that I can't really handle anything that gives out Greater orbs since Shellga is all I really need due to being able to just Protect and Draw Fire with Ramza.

You can probably get good results with Cloud's BSB as a RW. Have your strongest character cast it against the first wave and use the aoe burst command to clear the next two waves (or at least weaken them enough for the rest of your party). If you are unable to do the third stage just retreat out, since you keep all the stuff you already got once you retreat.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
I took a stab at Ultimate 'nook but I don't think I'm up to it. I forgot to swap out Protectga for Shellga, and if I hadn't made that mistake I might have a shot at clearing it, but Flash Rain and Thundaga are just hitting way too hard when I only have SG up. Even aside from that I think I really need a second caster to help get mitigation up and force a form shift before Entice happens. I have a solid physical team now, but I'm really lacking in anything for casters; the only relics I have for characters who can run White Mage are Selphie's Morning Star and Garnet's Asura's Rod, and I really haven't invested at all in magic abilities, so I'll have to see what I can scrape together over the next couple of days to get another mage on the team.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Any holy ability, including Knight skills and the Flower of Trabia RM, works to shift Chadarnook into Demon form. You only need a Magic ability (Dia, Alexander or Flower of Trabia) to break Demon's physical immunity. The actual gimmick is identical to Ultimate Silver Wyvern's - just queue up a Holy Ability a little after his fourth action.

Don't bother bringing anti-physical mitigation outside of incidental stuff, either - the hard part of the fight is almost pure magic. Memento of Prayer or a Regen SB can help immensely with the sap from Poltergeist too.

e: You have native SG, right? Take Curaja and Lifesiphon on Tyro, and Diaga and Shellga on Selphie, then fill out with 3 Physical attackers with as much Holy as you can fit (plus Magic Breakdown).

Niton fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 17, 2016

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Yeah but it's two hits so you only need to hit 5k to out damage Phoenix.

My point is that Ifrit is only a tiny bit stronger than -aga spells, and you are simply not going to hit the damage cap with -aga spells against ultimate/+ bosses going forward without crazy stacking of magic buffs and RES debuffs. So Ifrit will not be doing 5000 per hit, meaning it's just plain weaker than Phoenix.

Against much weaker bosses Ifrit might win out, but probably not by that much; and since they're much weaker than it won't really matter either way.

Opposing Farce posted:

I took a stab at Ultimate 'nook but I don't think I'm up to it. I forgot to swap out Protectga for Shellga, and if I hadn't made that mistake I might have a shot at clearing it, but Flash Rain and Thundaga are just hitting way too hard when I only have SG up. Even aside from that I think I really need a second caster to help get mitigation up and force a form shift before Entice happens. I have a solid physical team now, but I'm really lacking in anything for casters; the only relics I have for characters who can run White Mage are Selphie's Morning Star and Garnet's Asura's Rod, and I really haven't invested at all in magic abilities, so I'll have to see what I can scrape together over the next couple of days to get another mage on the team.

Do you have any lightning damage reducing gear or accessories? I guess most of those accessories have been rewards for clearing ultimate fights, making them not much use for people trying to beat ultimates for the first time, but you could check. Most of Chad's damage output is lightning damage, so they would really help.

Also, you're using Magic Breakdown, right?

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, you're using Magic Breakdown, right?

Yeah, of course.

I went back with Shell equipped and a Divine Guardian RW and that helped a lot, but I ran out of steam near the end of the fight because I was trigger-happy about refreshing my mitigation and burned everything too early. Is there a good way to judge how long these buffs last and when I need to re-up or am I just going to have to feel it out across a bunch of S/Ls?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KnoxZone posted:

You can probably get good results with Cloud's BSB as a RW. Have your strongest character cast it against the first wave and use the aoe burst command to clear the next two waves (or at least weaken them enough for the rest of your party). If you are unable to do the third stage just retreat out, since you keep all the stuff you already got once you retreat.

This is no longer a good idea in the era of Gysahl Greens and orbs as completion rewards.

Maybe on XP day, but the rest of the week, stick to a level of content you can finish.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)
eh, still has merit if your doing it just to level

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Oh, good. I managed to beat Chadarnook and even mastered him on my first go (lost one metal for actions and two for damage). It took a lot of doing and I lost a bunch of attempts to stupid things like activating the wrong buff first or miscounting turns in demon form, but it worked out in the end.

Tyro (Lv. 68): Lifesiphon R2/Saint's Cross R1, Dr. Mog's Teachings, Sentinel's Grimoire
Selphie (Lv. 66): Shellga R1/Curaga R4, Flower of Trabia, Trabia's Light
Ramza (Lv. 67): Banishing Blade R2/Magic Breakdown R1, Mako Might, Shout
Zidane (Lv. 65): Dismissal R1/Lifesiphon R2, Battleforged, Shift Break
Freya (Lv. 65): Leaching Leap R2/Armor Breakdown R1, Burmecian Dragon Knight, Dragon Breath

RW: Divine Guardian

Native Shout and Wall have been getting me pretty far on their own, but none of my abilities are honed very well and I don't have much VI synergy (I've got a Kotetsu and a couple of armor pieces and that's it) so this one was a close shave. In the end saving some of my ability charges for the Poltergeist phase made the difference; it took a bit of luck to weather his attacks between when Divine Guardian and shell ran out and when I could re-up them, but once I made it through I had just enough resources to kill him before my heals and mitigation ran out entirely. The "defeat Chadarnook before it casts Poltergeist three times" goal is kind of funny to me because I'm pretty sure I would've just died if he got a third Poltergeist off.

This is the first Ultimate I've beaten other than Belias, which I take it doesn't really "count," so I'm glad I got through it even if I had to burn an extra 60 stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm having trouble with Chadarnook; it feels significantly harder than Leblanc or Belias did. Only put a few tries in so far with only one setup (that I'm beginning to suspect isn't ideal; it lacks any elemental weaknesses for Vivi to exploit so he's not contributing nearly as much as he normally does, among other things), but I think this is going to be the first ultimate I've made it to that I have real difficulty with.

• Locked thread