Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

Found Yorshka- what happens if

you tell her you can fly?

She throws you off to see if you're lying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS
im having a ton of fun right now setting up fight clubs for purple bros in the area right after the pontiff

i summon 2-3 purple bros, then sit down in the toast gesture and act as a ref. if anyone uses estus i jump in and gang up on them, otherwise i sit out and let them fight it out

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

Dark Souls Newbie Question: I'm using an Estoc+4, I'm around level 30 right now. Going Dex build, so I use that along with Black Bow of Pharis. Is there anything else I should do to improve my Estoc's Dex scaling? Am I right that upgrading to Sharp is what needs to happen next?

Also, am I complete dingus for using my beginner Assassin gear for anything that doesn't require a specific kind of resist? I like the way it looks, and don't really know how to min-max this game yet and if any other set of armor is comparable... I only switch it out for magic/bleed/etc resists when a zone or boss calls for it.

Fashion Souls is paramount.

Like unless you're doing a specific section where you want to jack up a certain resist, or you're really getting into pvp min-maxing, just go with what looks good, to you.

I mean some of the lighter stuff might make things 'harder' if you're taking too much damage but it's not a super big deal.

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008
Does anyone have advice for making a sorcerer decent? I'm at the cathedral and just got my int to 40, but I'm really starting to feel the hurt. The only decent sorceries seem to be the soul arrow spells. I've started to put souls into faith so I can switch over to being a pyromancy user, but so far the only one of those that seems ok is fire orb. I don't know how far I am from the point where you can respec, and I've put way too much time in to want to restart with a new character.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

BLUNDERCATS! noooo posted:

Dark Souls Newbie Question: I'm using an Estoc+4, I'm around level 30 right now. Going Dex build, so I use that along with Black Bow of Pharis. Is there anything else I should do to improve my Estoc's Dex scaling? Am I right that upgrading to Sharp is what needs to happen next?

Upgrading to Sharp and continuing to upgrade it to +10 is basically it, yeah. You'll need a Sharp Gem - there's one from a crystal lizard above the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire in Settlement and one on the ground in Catacombs, then they drop from enemies in Catacombs rarely - and the Farron Coal to open the option, which is laying around somewhere in the Farron Keep swamp iirc

It's really good btw

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong but Patches wasn't in the Cathedral, yes I know he's dressed as Onionbro, no I didn't kill the boss at Farron's Keep. Every single door is open to the Cathedral but he's nowhere to be found.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

argondamn posted:

:D
I want this to be truth but I couldn't lie to her. I need confirmation.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

argondamn posted:

hahaha that's amazing. Seriously?

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Stokes posted:

I have absolutely no idea what I did wrong but Patches wasn't in the Cathedral, yes I know he's dressed as Onionbro, no I didn't kill the boss at Farron's Keep. Every single door is open to the Cathedral but he's nowhere to be found.

He might have already moved to Firelink. There's some speculation that buying the key and exploring that section early fucks things up a bit.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Stokes posted:

I never saw him at the Cathedral, but I did find Onionbro in the well after meeting Patches in Firelink and opening the doors.

Apparently Patches robbed Onionbro while I was escaping the tower. Pathceeeeeeeeees!

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Stokes posted:

If you don't mind missing the scene he'll still show up in firelink if you go in the tower and you can continue on

BLUNDERCATS! noooo
Oct 30, 2008

Anung Un Rama, Urush Un Rama

Mazerunner posted:

Fashion Souls is paramount.

Cool. Yeah I tried some other stuff that made me roll super slow so I decided to stay away from it unless I needed the resists.

Zombies' Downfall posted:

Upgrading to Sharp and continuing to upgrade it to +10 is basically it, yeah. You'll need a Sharp Gem - there's one from a crystal lizard above the Dilapidated Bridge bonfire in Settlement and one on the ground in Catacombs, then they drop from enemies in Catacombs rarely - and the Farron Coal to open the option, which is laying around somewhere in the Farron Keep swamp iirc

It's really good btw

Awesome glad I am on the right path then!

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

what the gently caress...

Requires Havel Ring +2, Ring of Favor +2, and 67 Vitality

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

DontMindMe posted:

67 Vitality

what the gently caress

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

It's basically a straight upgrade from the regular machete, which is already a beast. If you can handle the weight, it's a great strength weapon and a lot of fun to use.

Thanks. The three I'm using are that FUGS and a heavy great club. Anything else I should pick up?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

.Ataraxia. posted:

For anyone having trouble being summoned as a Blue Sentinel or Watchdog of Farron try forwarding the ports listed here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/darksouls3/comments/4bgwkm/a_new_info_in_regard_to_matchmaking/

I wasn't getting summoned for either over about 12 hours of play time. I forwarded my ports yesterday and got 6 summons as a Sentinel in an hour. No summons as a Watchdog, but I'm pretty sure I'm far outside the level range for that now (47, +4).

It seems to be heavily region based priority as far as I can tell. I've been communicating with a friend of mine all day. He has been summoned 16 loving times, I have been summoned zero times. He's EU, I'm US. Cross-Region Matchmaking is enabled.

From this the only thing I can guess is A) There's more EU Way of the Blue people and/or B) The game just heavily favors people in the same region.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I don't think it's ok I was forced into another bossfight immediately after Yhorm and lost 60,000 souls because I didn't anticipate it. I got them back after dying and boning, but still what the gently caress

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

hahaha that's amazing. Seriously?

I'm lying

DontMindMe
Dec 3, 2010

What could possibly go wrong?

voltcatfish posted:

I don't think it's ok I was forced into another bossfight immediately after Yhorm and lost 60,000 souls because I didn't anticipate it. I got them back after dying and boning, but still what the gently caress

You can actually walk out of the building before using the statue, or using a homeward bone in mid fight.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
lmao you get a sunlight medal for helping a sunbro invader kill the host thats great

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Eraflure posted:

Started a new run, trying out daggers ... Holy poo poo quickstep is amazing. It's probably the best skill I've seen so far and it makes the game a lot faster. Can't wait to try out the twin daggers though, damage is poop so far.

Try out a bandit knife. It doesn't have a critical as good as a normal dagger, but lots of things bleed in this game, and you get to keep quickstep. Just hack and slash away.

So, I'm in the dungeon. I made it a good way through before I ran out of pretty much everything -- estus, focus, bolts, etc, and I had to turn back. How the gently caress do I deal with those health-sapping guys in a meaningful way? The range on that business is further than my lock on distance. Do I just have to bum-rush them before they can do... Whatever it is they're doing?

Spoiler for images:

This is how far those assholes are hitting me with their dumb aura or whatever. See the corpse? That's where I dropped 'em, and I was still getting eaten up. Screw these guys.

I found this dude just hanging out. Kind of terrifying, but he didn't attack me, so I left him alone.

Damned rats! :argh:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Filthy Hans posted:

Greirat questions: has anyone figured out a way to keep him alive on his third scavenger hunt?

No. There is no way. Don't send him out after the second.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I lost him on the second even though I was up to date on Sieg's story and didn't sell him out to Patches; I'm pretty sure some of the quest triggers in this game are pretty confusing, obscure, or indirect and just people making educated guesses like Bloodborne for a long time

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

HydeLyde posted:

Does anyone have advice for making a sorcerer decent? I'm at the cathedral and just got my int to 40, but I'm really starting to feel the hurt. The only decent sorceries seem to be the soul arrow spells. I've started to put souls into faith so I can switch over to being a pyromancy user, but so far the only one of those that seems ok is fire orb. I don't know how far I am from the point where you can respec, and I've put way too much time in to want to restart with a new character.

The cathedral area is where you can respec actually. Gotta find a hidden covenant. Unfortunately, doing so will piss off a certain NPC preventing you from finishing their quest line.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Shortest Path posted:

^^ Some zones have a limit of one, some have a limit of two. You can increase them up to two and three by using the Dried Finger that the merchant at firelink sells.

All of them since Settlement except the Cathedral of the Deep are? If so that's fine then, I knew some were limited but not that many.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

That parry you get with the katana stance shouldn't use up FP for what it does. It's just a normal parry. I thought you'd get some neat animation if you pulled it off but nope.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

voltcatfish posted:

You know when people say this, what do you not immediately go oh I should go backwards and try to exit and not move forward.

I homeward boned, cashed in and went back.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

Finally done with Wolfbros, the invasions came in spurts at level 45 but next time I'll definitely do it at a lower level. Also the Black Knight Shield +2 is beastly with 63 stability, really makes me look forward to the Wolfbro Shield when I get the strength.

Turns out shields are half decent when you actually have stamina left over to hit someone after blocking, who knew?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Harrow posted:

Irithyll is tough as nails. I'm just at the end of it myself. The tall, agile sword dudes are really tough for me, way harder than they probably should be. Maybe I should try to parry them or something.

Anyway, point is, I made it through! You can, too!

use a great hammer/ugsw and dodge attack them. make sure you have enough stamina to get a second hit which kills all but the fire ones. accept you're maybe using an estus per one of them and you'll reach the second bonfire alive

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Gologle posted:

No. There is no way. Don't send him out after the second.

I'm... pretty sure, no?

I'm 90% sure that he has two scavenge runs that are ok. Then the third, to Boreal Valley is the dangerous one. You can save him by having Siegward in the kitchens, or maybe Patches saves him, or kills him? I dunno.

The fourth one he always dies, probably, but you can give his ashes to the shrine maiden to get his inventory back.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Shindragon posted:

You know when people say this, what do you not immediately go oh I should go backwards and try to exit and not move forward.

The elation of victory is often followed by the despair of defeat.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Is it worth using my blessed stone on a lothric knight sword if I'm a faith based knight? I was gonna do the claymore but it's so sloooow.

Basically I'm at the church and wondering if there's a better fast straight sword I can infuse.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

So is it impossible to level up in the Blue sentinels or join the darkmoons even in ng+? Won't you be forever locked out for taking the rosaria's fingers covenant item in your first game which you'll still have on you?

Edit - to clarify while you can kill the npc to get the Darkmoon covenant item you'll never be able to rank up due to being unable to learn the gesture in ng+

Wurzag fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Apr 17, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Mazerunner posted:

I'm... pretty sure, no?

I'm 90% sure that he has two scavenge runs that are ok. Then the third, to Boreal Valley is the dangerous one. You can save him by having Siegward in the kitchens, or maybe Patches saves him, or kills him? I dunno.

The fourth one he always dies, probably, but you can give his ashes to the shrine maiden to get his inventory back.

There's only three, not four.

The second one is Irithyll. Third one is Lothric Castle, and will always kill him.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Wurzag posted:

So is it impossible to level up in the Blue sentinels or join the darkmoons even in ng+? Won't you be forever locked out for taking the rosaria's fingers covenant item in your first game which you'll still have on you?

Well duh the obvious solution is to blow ten hours farming concords off the silver knights before you head into NG+

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Well duh the obvious solution is to blow ten hours farming concords off the silver knights before you head into NG+

That isn't the problem I have like 50 if those already

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
How far away from having a titanite slab am I if i've beaten the pontiff?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Wurzag posted:

Edit - to clarify while you can kill the npc to get the Darkmoon covenant item you'll never be able to rank up due to being unable to learn the gesture in ng+

Allegedly it's not BEING in the Rosaria's Finger covenant per se, but offering up a tongue either for levelling or respeccing purposes that does it. You can join it, respec in NG, and it won't hurt anything in NG+ for example if that's correct.

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Captain Oblivious posted:

Allegedly it's not BEING in the Rosaria's Finger covenant per se, but offering up a tongue either for levelling or respeccing purposes that does it. You can join it, respec in NG, and it won't hurt anything in NG+ for example if that's correct.

That makes sense guess I'll just kill the Darkmoon npc and try again in ng+. Annoying though I really wanted the rank 2 reward, guess dark blade will have to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Shindragon posted:

You can even just walk out if you don't start the dialogue. But I doubt most people do that on their first playthrough.