Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CJ posted:

A lot of the fights in Stardust Crusaders are resolved in pretty boring ways which amount to "Jotaro is just so cool that he beats them anyway". Having Joseph show up and being sort of immune to Alessi's powers and therefore able to defeat him is way more clever than baby Jotaro punching him out.

It's actually the first thing that people think of regarding it and it makes no thematic or story telling sense by any means.

And like, based on most of your thoughts about story telling in JoJo based on your posts, your endorsement of an idea is the best evidence it's probably bad right now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jotaro still being able to kick a grown man's rear end at like eight years old without a Stand is cool and funny

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Man who bullies children because he's a total dick beaten by super powered 20 year old man after inadvertently increasing old man's strength

Vs

Man who bullies children because he's a total dick turns grown man into a child; child knocks him the gently caress out anyway.

One of these is cooler than the other and its not the one about Joseph. (He's better as an old man anyway.)

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
If Alessi had even run into Joseph (or Abdul? can't remember how old he was) he would have backed off immediately because he is a massive coward who would not even be comfortable taking on a man in his twenties, never mind a stand or hamon user. He presumably has enough intelligence to know what would happen if his stand attacked an old guy. And since his entire character is that he's a bully and a child abuser, a child beating the poo poo out of him is a really good conclusion to his arc.

It would have been cool to see young Joseph show up, but it would have cheapened the overall story imo

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Avdol is about as old as Polnareff.

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012

CJ posted:

A lot of the fights in Stardust Crusaders are resolved in pretty boring ways which amount to "Jotaro is just so cool that he beats them anyway". Having Joseph show up and being sort of immune to Alessi's powers and therefore able to defeat him is way more clever than baby Jotaro punching him out.

this better not have been a veiled criticism of daniel j d'arby or else yours truly is about to get care mad on line

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
also everyone is a coward when Avdol is involved, the plan for dealing with him is either kill him first from the shadows or run the gently caress away

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Million Ghosts posted:

also everyone is a coward when Avdol is involved, the plan for dealing with him is either kill him first from the shadows or run the gently caress away

Well when you have a guy whose form of attack is "Set everything on fire", I think you would run the gently caress away as well.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

no they will not posted:

this better not have been a veiled criticism of daniel j d'arby or else yours truly is about to get care mad on line

That was an amazing resolution because it comes just about at the time when you're wondering "Does Jotaro ever do anything but brood?"

Then he manages to beat villain stand user JUST by brooding extra hard.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Mr. Joestar, I have found the only way to defeat an anti-aging shadow IS TO BURN IT

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

Mr. Joestar, I have found the only way to defeat an anti-aging shadow IS TO BURN IT

"Avdol, that's your answer to everything"

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold

no they will not posted:

I wasn't going to bring it up since i know some people will throw a tantrum, but yes. D'arby was beaten because the MC was just so cool he went crazy. There was nothing clever or interesting about it despite the setup being great. Terence on the other hand was great all the way through though, because it subverts both Terence and the viewer's expectations of Jotaro being cool enough to do anything so you don't consider it being Joseph. It's a running theme through a lot of Araki's writing. He's great at coming up with crazy unique premises but often has trouble following through to resolve them in a satisfying way which isn't a complete rear end pull or main character plot armour. Thankfully he gets better at it as time goes on.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

RubberLuffy posted:

"Avdol, that's your answer to everything"
YES IT IS

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I'm terrified of seeing g0m caremad so I'm going to back away from the thread really really really fast

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I forgot I had a Jojo avatar so I'm obligated to post in this thread. Okuyasu is no Polnareff sadly.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

https://twitter.com/comic_natalie/status/721790369617223680

I actually really like this but I know lots of people... sure don't

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em
I can't believe Josuke is actually Koichi's counterpart and Yasuho is Josuke's.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Has Araki drawn Josuke in his new style before now?

Koichi's face is weird, but it's not as shocking as part 1-3 characters because you're already starting with slender characters rather than brick shithouses.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Avdol would be the most op stand user if not for the fact he needs to breathe air to live. Even then if he had the plot-important of a jojo or something his stand would still probably be as versatile as crazy diamond.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Koichi's creepy babyface is kinda weirding me out.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Also it looks like we are in fact getting Thus Spoke Rohan as a bonus for people who collect all 13 BDs. 39 episodes confirmed too.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

CJ posted:

I wasn't going to bring it up since i know some people will throw a tantrum, but yes. D'arby was beaten because the MC was just so cool he went crazy. There was nothing clever or interesting about it despite the setup being great. Terence on the other hand was great all the way through though, because it subverts both Terence and the viewer's expectations of Jotaro being cool enough to do anything so you don't consider it being Joseph. It's a running theme through a lot of Araki's writing. He's great at coming up with crazy unique premises but often has trouble following through to resolve them in a satisfying way which isn't a complete rear end pull or main character plot armour. Thankfully he gets better at it as time goes on.

Okay, but it was also established with the Daniel fight that Jotaro is garbage at actually playing poker.

What he is good at is having the most extreme poker face known to man and coming off as generally unemotive, which is helpful a lot of the time with poker anyway but also something that we already knew about him anyway and at that point it was becoming a running gag. It's the same reason why the Sun fight, or I guess the lead up to defeating it, is great because actually seeing Jotaro laughing is really offputting and also pretty funny. The joke is that he's a stoic, non-emoting edgelord teen, compared to his grandfather who, even if he's mellowed out by this point, is still a hyperactive, goofball cartoon character.

It's even better when you look at his profile and read that Jotaro doesn't really understand how un-emotive and line-facey he comes across and he thinks that people can easily read him. So the entire fight with Daniel, he's probably thinking it's possible for him to lose, since Daniel is a seasoned poker player and is pretty good at calling people's bluffs.

It's also one of the more clever fights where not a single punch is thrown. Jotaro's using a good deal of wit and bluffing to win a "fight" and that's all he has to do, with most of the encounter having a buildup of dramatic tension. The fact that Jotaro had such a garbage hand and was like "oh man that would have sucked if he called my bluff" after betting Kakyoin's and his mother's soul, along with Avdol's reaction to all of that, is one of the payoffs of the fight because it's also the punchline of one big joke. It's a very Loony Tunes way of ending the encounter, which I personally love.

Like I totally understand personal taste but, man, no offense dude but you seem to be missing the points of a lot of scenes or what makes them entertaining, or funny, or dramatic or just...worthwhile. I really don't know what to tell you, my dude.

BaDandy fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Apr 18, 2016

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky

Stairmaster posted:

Avdol would be the most op stand user if not for the fact he needs to breathe air to live. Even then if he had the plot-important of a jojo or something his stand would still probably be as versatile as crazy diamond.

i feel like Araki realized really quickly having a raging inferno you can summon at will is broken and that's why Avdol doesn't do a whole lot

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Waffleman_ posted:

Also it looks like we are in fact getting Thus Spoke Rohan as a bonus for people who collect all 13 BDs. 39 episodes confirmed too.

Still wondering how they're gonna pace this. 2 eps for Nijimura Bros sounded good but they'd have to cover the Bad Company ambush, Josuke healing Okuyasu and Koichi, the entire Bad Company fight (feat. Koichi laying an egg), all of Dad Nijimura, and Keicho getting killed in one ep.

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

grancheater posted:

Still wondering how they're gonna pace this. 2 eps for Nijimura Bros sounded good but they'd have to cover the Bad Company ambush, Josuke healing Okuyasu and Koichi, the entire Bad Company fight (feat. Koichi laying an egg), all of Dad Nijimura, and Keicho getting killed in one ep.

Yeah, I'm really confused because it seems like the pacing isn't lining up with the 39 episodes even if we say a lot of these things are 1 episode deals. Nijimura will not wrap up next week, I don't think; I think Keicho's death will spill into a 3rd episode; next week maybe ends with Josuke seeing someone on the roof. I'm not going to complain if we get 39, I'm sure it'll be great, I'm just wondering how it'll work.

When did they confirm the *precise* SDC episode count? I really wasn't paying much attention to the anime at that point so I haven't the slightest idea but I have read a few people saying ehhh they were fussy with that number for ages, too.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

no matter what i think we can all agree the ova is the best depiction of the darby fight

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Stairmaster posted:

no matter what i think we can all agree the ova is the best depiction of the darby fight

Especially the dub

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
There's guaranteed to be a lit more spill over in fights if they're sticking with a 39 episode count and it feel more like a serial show rather than LAST TIME, JOTARO FOUGHT AN UNDERWATER FACE, THIS TIME HE'S SOMEWHERE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FIGHTING A BLIND MAN of Part 3 anime's pacing. I feel pretty strongly next episode will end with the reveal of Nijimura Dad with Ep. 5 being the death of Keicho and introducing The Lock dude and they'll just kinda play around with that until more involved fights like Yukako or Red Hot Chili Peppers. Again, I am super gun shy about this 39 episode episode count cause that just doesn't feel right at all to me, but gently caress it David Production, take the wheel. Literally the only other anime I know with 39 episodes is Utena and that's so good so whatever

I want to say Part 3 was announced to have 24 episodes and everyone was super "uhhhh loving what?" until it was clear by the pacing, they had to do another seasons or we're doing mad cuts to get to DIO

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

Moltrey posted:

I want to say Part 3 was announced to have 24 episodes and everyone was super "uhhhh loving what?" until it was clear by the pacing, they had to do another seasons or we're doing mad cuts to get to DIO
There we go, that's the number other people were bandying about.

I dunno the fact that I've posted about it several times would indicate otherwise but I guess what I mean is I'm still just not gonna worry too much about the 39 thing

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I thought Part 6 was crazy before.... and it was. But this Heavy Weather section is just completely insane. Everything from the snails to Underworld and Pucci's backstory, this is just a lot to take in.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Remember when Avdol pissed down a man's mouth that owned

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Assuming 39 episodes (and I've never seen anything official explicitly stating it will be), it should go something like this:

1. Jotaro Meets Josuke
  2. Josuke Meets Angelo
  3. The Nijimura Brothers (1) (includes end of Josuke Meets Angelo)
  4. The Nijimura Brothers (2)
  5. The Nijimura Brothers (3) (includes start of Echoes)
  6. Koichi Hirose (Echoes) (includes start of Surface)
  7. Toshikazu Hazamada (Surface)
  8. Yukako Yamagashi Is in Love (1)
  9. Yukako Yamagashi Is in Love (2)
  10. Let's Go Out for Italian
  11. Red Hot Chili Pepper (1)
  12. Red Hot Chili Pepper (2)
  13. Picked Up Something Bad (includes start of Let's Play at the Mangaka's House)
  14. Let's Play at the Mangaka's House
  15. Let's Go Hunting
  16. Rohan Kishibe's Adventure
  17. Fatty's Harvest
  18. Yoshikage Kira Wants a Quiet Life (1) (includes end of Fatty's Harvest)
  19. Yoshikage Kira Wants a Quiet Life (2) (includes People of Morioh)
  20. Cinderella (1)
  21. Cinderella (2) (includes start of Sheer Heart Attack)
  22. Sheer Heart Attack (1)
  23. Sheer Heart Attack (2)
  24. Atom Heart Father
  25. Janken Boy Is Coming (1) (includes Kira's New Face)
  26. Janken Boy Is Coming (2) (includes start of I Am an Alien)
  27. I Am an Alien
  28. Highway Star (1)
  29. Highway Star (2) (includes start of The Cat Likes Yoshikage Kira)
  30. The Cat Like Yoshikage Kira
  31. The Man on the Tower (1)
  32. The Man on the Tower (2) (includes start of Engima Boy)
  33. Enigma Boy
  34. My Dad Is Not My Dad (includes start of Cheap Trick)
  35. Cheap Trick
  36. Another One Bites the Dust (1)
  37. Another One Bites the Dust (2) (includes start of The Invincible Crazy D)
  38. The Invincible Crazy D
  39. Goodbye, Morioh Town (includes end of The Invincible Crazy D)

It looks kind of awkward, not because it would be rushed in the conventional sense, but because there's so many episode breaks in odd places, after the Stardust Crusaders anime went out of its way to avoid that kind of thing.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

how about we just wait and see how the series will play out, it seems like every 3 seconds someone's trying to work out the exact episode layout and oh my god there's no point

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
The true crime of Avdol being dead is he cannot piss in the mouths of other men

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Avdol is the most forgettable Crusader but that time he went YES I AM and pissed in a man's mouth will live in our hearts forever.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
He's great because he also went to Calcutta and as everyone else is sitting there in awe at the insane poverty there, Avdol's just looking at it going "AH WHAT A FINE CULTURE THIS IS"

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Baal posted:

He's great because he also went to Calcutta and as everyone else is sitting there in awe at the insane poverty there, Avdol's just looking at it going "AH WHAT A FINE CULTURE THIS IS"

Avdol embraces all types of culture, arms open wide.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I'm here for this Avdol Appreciation. :allears:

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Finished Part 6.... I don't even know what to say about that ending. I think I understand why I heard some people don't like it, because Jolyne had little to do with the final "encounter". I really liked reading it a lot, but I am also excited to start reading Steel Ball Run soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
are we supposed to think that the universe that we end on in Part 6 in is the same world as the Steel Ball Run/JoJoLion one? Or is it one more past that?