Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've seen Princess Mononoke, Howls Moving Castle and Princess Kaguya (not Miyazaki but it is Ghibli) in the cinema, I would pay anything to watch Porco Rosso on the big screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FactsAreUseless posted:

News flash: known rear end in a top hat 8-Bit Scholar might also be a bit of a dick.

:lol: that was my first thought when I saw him clock in on the issue. Or more accurately, "How am I not surprised 8bs would defend people doxxing someone and Internet detectiving them them to get them fired for poo poo no one cares about because they thought the translation of a video game they don't play wasn't good enough and don't know how the world works."

Like I don't even know who this woman is but I'm fairly certain I don't give a poo poo if she sucked some dick or stepped on balls for money. I'm just here for them video games.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

after finishing watching mononoke i came out a changed man

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Princess Mononoke was a great movie and I still regret missing it in theaters when it came out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
spirited away is so pretty

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

Palpek posted:

I saw Mononoke with a friend

They were showing Eraserhead here last year and some couple brought their young kids in. It's not like the movie is too violent or gory, but I don't see why you would put your kids through such a painfully long movie. They must have done something real bad to deserve that kind of punishment.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Dang now all I wanna do is just play Overwatch. Two weeks is gonna feel so long.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I liked Princess Mononoke more than Spirited Away. While still a great movie I didn't like Spirited Away's ending and a few other things while Mononoke was just perfect.

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Guy Mann posted:

The time spent keeping a mental dossier on every minor twitter shitfit and industry controversy in the gaming world could probably be spent much better playing and discussing actual games.
I couldn't answer this a few pages ago because I was literally livestreaming a videogame, lol. Strange as it may seem, it's easy to have a large enough attention span to both play games and keep up on recent industry shitfits.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

"Delete your twitter" is good advice for all of mankind.

In fact, we should just delete twitter.
Delete your SA account

Tokyo Godfathers is a super super super good movie. Mind Game is also very very good.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Some rear end in a top hat took his baby when I went to see Skyfall. A baby. To a James Bond movie. Come on, dude. Get a babysitter or something.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Spirited Away in general but it felt like the start of Miyazaki's problems with telling a compelling, coherent story to go with the gorgeous visuals.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
I liked Spirited Away's ending a lot. It was kind of a perfect fair tail. Mononoke was intense and left me feeling a weird mix of moved, sad, and empty. Both beautiful.

Grave of the Fireflies was more depressing than I was prepared for by a country mile and I thought I was pretty prepared.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Eh I sort of agree that Spirited Away gets less interesting the more it focuses on lore and narrative. The whole wolf dragon thing takes up so much time. Time that could have been spent on frog people.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Kins posted:

Some rear end in a top hat took his baby when I went to see Skyfall. A baby. To a James Bond movie. Come on, dude. Get a babysitter or something.

the baby is not going to understand or care about any of the things in skyfall

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Not liking Tokyo Godfathers should be grounds for expulsion from the human race.

I can't believe there's a person who has seen tokyo godfathers and decided that they didn't like it

wtf

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

corn in the bible posted:

I know!

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

It understood all the loud explosion sounds and how they were waking it up, and boy, it was not a fan.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
tokyo godfathers is my favorite anime movie about christmas and homeless people

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
I need to actually see myazaki movies :(

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

tokyo godfathers is my favorite anime movie about christmas and homeless people

mine is home alone 2

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Palpek posted:

I saw Mononoke with a friend and we were the only ones in the movie theater so we just took 2 seats right there in the middle. 5 minutes after the movie starts parents with 2 young children come in (6+10 year old), father checks his tickets and lo and behold it turns out we're sitting in their seats. The movie is already playing and I looked around the empty room with a 'really?' look on my face he wouldn't have it so ok, we go 2 rows to the back. BTW the movie had an 18+ rating where I lived. 5 minutes later we had a bit of a laugh when the family was leaving the room in a panic trying to hide the children from the screen because a guy in the movie just had both his arms cut clean off with an arrow and they were dangling from the tree and blood was everywhere. Anyway, what I'm saying is don't take kids to 18+ animes just because they look like Disney.

:laffo: That's pretty great. Sort of relevant, the gf and I went and saw Deadpool and there was a mom and dad behind us with their 10 year old. They stayed though the whole thing so maybe they were just trying to get the kid ready for the future.

bloodychill posted:

Grave of the Fireflies was more depressing than I was prepared for by a country mile and I thought I was pretty prepared.

Oh man. That one was a drat gut punch :smith:

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 17, 2016

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I really recommend the documentary "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" on Miyazaki and Ghibli, it's on Netflix.

It's where this comes from:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Steve2911 posted:

Yes it did. She was fired because hate mobs fed Nintendo inflammatory information which they used as a convenient excuse*.

*This is speculation but it's correct.

Yes, I too like to speculate wildly about incidences in which I have no great insight, but a pre-determined bias already decided ahead of time. I do this because it, as well, helps me feel like I'm smart and insightful, even when I'm actually saying nothing of substance at all.

To add something of substance to the conversation:

Tokyo Godfathers is indeed a fantastic movie. One of those films that reminds you that not only is animation just as good as film, sometimes it can even surpass it in ways that film never could.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

I really recommend the documentary "The Kingdom of Dreams and Madness" on Miyazaki and Ghibli, it's on Netflix.

It's where this comes from:

:eyepop:

drat, I'm definitely gonna check that out. Thanks Palpek :)

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Wamdoodle posted:

:eyepop:

drat, I'm definitely gonna check that out. Thanks Palpek :)
It's also where this comes from:

http://i.imgur.com/OtaqAWZ.webm

Miyazaki owns.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Palpek posted:

Miyazaki owns.

He isnt wrong. I honestly never "got" JRPGS. I mean sure i played kingdom hearts like all the other lonely fat kids, but that was as deep as got into the JRPG pool. I also like MGS and yakuza series. The new final fantasy is the only final fantasy to catch my interest. I played episode ducase and it was fun.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Palpek posted:

Miyazaki owns.

Oh is that the original quote? I've only seen the one where the words were changed to "Anime was a mistake" or something. Unless that's real too :tinfoil:

And, yes he does own.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Dictator sim city 5 for 7 bucks is a good deal

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

tropico 5 is not very good

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

the only ghibli film i've had the privelege of experiencing is ni no kuni.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Lizard Wizard posted:

I wouldnt call that much of a privelige.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just want to put out there that people that don't like Grave of Fireflies because the kids acted illogically are the worst people.

Unrelated, I just realized that with the might as well be death of Konami, were never gonna get another Rocket Knight game. I mean I know the fact they made that last one was weird and it also wasn't very good but still :smith:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lizard Wizard posted:

I got an hour into that game and put it down to go do other stuff and said I'd come back to it later.

That was like 2 years ago and I never played it again.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's a loving crime that satoshi kon films are not able to buy on itunes/amazon/whatever. i only see paprika on amazon. and no ghibli films in the US itunes/amazon

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

:dogbutton:

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

why

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it's a white elephant gift

or should i say

blue hedgehog gift

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

Pillbug

it's a white elephant gift

or should i say

blue hedgehog gift

You even picked the worst version

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

I know we went a bit overboard with WWII shooters a while back and everyone got tired of them but I think we can do it better this time.
World at war was the only call of duty I enjoyed past 2 and this is obviously because of setting and not because it was made by the CoD developer that doesn't blow complete chunks.
also it has the only music track from a cod game that I actually noticed while playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIKk6bUSE3w

• Locked thread