Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

CommonShore posted:

My insurance covered 97% of the cost of my mouthguard.

Sorry, I mistyped that -- I meant "can be covered by insurance." My point was that there's a lot of reported variation in price, but it's worth checking out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Omglosser posted:

She doesn't like the idea of wearing one but I was trying to say that the Sisu might be a good start because it's advertised as being the least restrictive and smallest, making it the least annoying for someone to wear. But if it turned out to be a bullshit sales hook that offered little or no protection I was just gonna skip it and press her to get a regular one.

I use one. I hate wearing mouthguards and this one is definitely the lowest profile guard I've worn. I haven't taken any really hard hits in the chin or face (bjj and judo) but I also haven't received any damage from the hits I have taken. I still only wear mine about 50% of the time (mainly while working with whitebelts) but if I lost this one I'd order another without hesitation.

One bit of advice: if you live somewhere warm, be careful not to leave the guard in your car, it'll soften up and completely deform.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

CommonShore posted:

I recently saw a good video of Neil Adams talking about this. It's less to make it look aesthetically pleasing than to make it a more vertically-postured sport which will look different from wrestling on olympic broadcasts. When leg grabs are legal, the sport becomes a low, wide, sprawly affair in many cases, and then it just looks like wrestling with pyjamas, or so the argument goes.

They seem pretty vertically postured in very old demonstration videos. Is that just because its a demo and they want to look nice or did something change?

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I found hi liter's argument from a few pages back convincing:

hi liter posted:

A lot of the (actually good) Judo old timers I know attribute the beginning of all this with the implementation of softer calls for ippon. When the calls were strict, players actively sought to land big throws which generally necessitates a more upright posture.

Soft ippon spoke when people roll the shoulder blades one at a time made less clean throws from direct leg attacks a better strategy and the players adjusted accordingly.

Im phone posting so I'm being a bit lazy, but check out some old school 80s and 90s judo highlights compared to some from the mid-aughts. Very different standards for scoring.

All of this stems from the IOC meddling. First they want more scoring in Judo, so the calls get softer. Then they want it to be prettier so leg grabs are removed.

Basically, gently caress the IOC.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

if the leg grab rule is intended to make judo aesthetically pleasing then why does sambo look awesome

The leg grab rule was put in because a Mongolian double legged his way to an Olympic gold and the Japanese got mad instead of just learning how to sprawl.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Is StrongLifts 5x5 a good program for judokas if you haven't done any kind of serious strength training or conditioning in a gym before? I am getting to the point where my lack of physical fitness is getting me wreaked by heavyweights since I hit Blue Belt and I am one of the lightest heavyweights in my province for Seniors and Masters.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Xguard86 posted:

They seem pretty vertically postured in very old demonstration videos. Is that just because its a demo and they want to look nice or did something change?

More or less because it's a demo. The low posture part is also a metagame/evolution thing. Look at how BJJ changes depending on what people are good at/trying/discovering.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Siivola posted:

I found hi liter's argument from a few pages back convincing:

They should do like fencing: put electric sensors in the floor for ippon. Maybe give it a 10 point scale so people can go ape over bigger numbers.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

Is StrongLifts 5x5 a good program for judokas if you haven't done any kind of serious strength training or conditioning in a gym before? I am getting to the point where my lack of physical fitness is getting me wreaked by heavyweights since I hit Blue Belt and I am one of the lightest heavyweights in my province for Seniors and Masters.
I found it an all-around solid beginner's program back when I was still going to the gym. The exercises are simple, the routine doesn't take very long and progress is fast, I can't think any reason not to try it.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Right now the refs are very aggressive with false attack stalling penalty calls in Judo. I would like to see leg attacks return and have the refs use aggressive penalty calls to stand them up and keep them honest.

And Naidan is the loving man. Mongolian judo is baller as hell, they don't need the double leg to kick rear end.

Xguard86 posted:

They should do like fencing: put electric sensors in the floor for ippon. Maybe give it a 10 point scale so people can go ape over bigger numbers.

This would be legit as hell.

EDIT: Stronglifts 5x5 is fine for Judo, especially if you are a novice lifter/athlete. Just try not to gently caress your back up too much, keep your hips and lower back loose with lots of stretching after Judo practice. Ignore the bullshit 'stretching isn't needed' blog posts on strength sites, you 100% need a flexible and strong back for Judo.

wedgie deliverer fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 18, 2016

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

Whiskey A Go Go! posted:

What specifically is your problem? I can't tell if you need to get stronger, get heavier, or have better cardio. Stronglifts from what I remember doesn't do much dedicated core work which is pretty big for judo, but it does have you squatting a shitload which will be good. The nice thing about core workouts is you can just do them on carpet. Do different kinds of planks, butterfly crunches, and leg-lifts while you're watching TV or whatever to get that core nice'n tight. You'll also want to do more more back exercises than deadlifts once a week, probably. Stronglifts+core workout is a decent, easy starting place I guess, hard to say without knowing what your goals are/where you're at currently.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

If he's never done any lifting before, any decent strength program is going to have great benefits for him regardless of specifics.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Sharzak posted:

What specifically is your problem? I can't tell if you need to get stronger, get heavier, or have better cardio. Stronglifts from what I remember doesn't do much dedicated core work which is pretty big for judo, but it does have you squatting a shitload which will be good. The nice thing about core workouts is you can just do them on carpet. Do different kinds of planks, butterfly crunches, and leg-lifts while you're watching TV or whatever to get that core nice'n tight. You'll also want to do more more back exercises than deadlifts once a week, probably. Stronglifts+core workout is a decent, easy starting place I guess, hard to say without knowing what your goals are/where you're at currently.

Squats are awesome for overall core work.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Don't do squats and think that you never have to do planks.

Lt. Shiny-sides
Dec 24, 2008

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

If he's never done any lifting before, any decent strength program is going to have great benefits for him regardless of specifics.

This. Getting stronger will make your cardio better, make you more explosive, and generally harder to kill.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

This. Getting stronger will make your cardio better, make you more explosive, and generally harder to kill.

This is what I am trying to accomplish right now. Not gassing out and being able to make the big guys move since most of them will take advantage of their size and strength. I have gained some strength from our warmups and fighting for the past 2 years but I need get to take it to a higher level if I want to compete in the tournament season next year.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Lt. Shiny-sides posted:

As a testament to this I started doing starting strength a few months back and the degree to which I've gotten stronger/faster is such that I actually have to work on body mechanics more because my weapon is moving a bit too quickly for me to control it properly. My lunges have gotten much faster, more stable, and more explosive, and I can overpower similarly sized people (who admittedly don't do much strength training) in a bind.

My problem, however, is that I've gained some weight around my face and that's something I'd like to avoid because my mask is fitting very tightly and the next size up is too large for my head.

What kind of cardio do y'all do? I may run a cardio workshop within the next few weeks and I'm looking for some group exercises the class can do in a relatively small training space with limited equipment.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Squats are awesome for overall core work.

Squats are awesome in general! Easily the best way to spend ten minutes working out. But those core exercises I mentioned engage your abdomen specifically. Squats will use stabilizer muscles in your core and back but you can't really isolate those while doing squats--in other words, they're only going to get as good as your squat does if you ignore them. Core work hits more core muscles than squats, obviously, and does it better. The two most important exercises for this type of thing are probably squats and core work, in that order. All of the physically demanding poo poo in judo uses your rear end and the muscles behind your belly button. Having a strong back helps too.

Neon Belly posted:

Don't do squats and think that you never have to do planks.

This, basically.

Verisimilidude posted:

What kind of cardio do y'all do? I may run a cardio workshop within the next few weeks and I'm looking for some group exercises the class can do in a relatively small training space with limited equipment.

Circuits--start in one corner of the mat, sprint to another corner, do karaoke/shuffle/high knees/lunges/kick yourself in the rear end/shrimp/judo roll to the other corner, something else to to the third corner, sprint back to where you started. Repeat to taste. If you don't have enough space for that then hit drills--have the class run in place, when a whistle is blown (or more likely, someone yells OSU!) do a breakfall, burpee, or something that has you going to the mat then getting back up and running in place until the whistle is blown again. Go on runs around the perimeter of the gym, on the outside. Line up and roll/shrimp/army crawl/crab crawl/bear crawl up and down the mat. Anything can be cardio if you keep the pace high enough!

I trained Krav at a lovely gym before I trained at a good one, I have a blackbelt in cardio :(

Gay Horney fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Apr 19, 2016

General Emergency
Apr 2, 2009

Can we talk?
Learn to do turkish getups. They own. Feel like squats but you get to lie around.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Tabata sprints right at the end once everyone is completely and totally out of it is always a favourite.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

General Emergency posted:

Learn to do turkish getups. They own. Feel like squats but you get to lie around.

and if you get good enough at them and strong enough, you can basically do them as a mount escape.

...i know because our local strong man purple belt used to just press me off of him with depressing regularity.

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011
Turkish getup is actually a good option if you feel stifled in bottom deep half

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

I took up lifting to improve my judo and stronglifts was the first program I used.

Squats and deadlifts will make a big difference.

TacticalHoodie
May 7, 2007

Sharzak posted:

Squats are awesome in general! Easily the best way to spend ten minutes working out. But those core exercises I mentioned engage your abdomen specifically. Squats will use stabilizer muscles in your core and back but you can't really isolate those while doing squats--in other words, they're only going to get as good as your squat does if you ignore them. Core work hits more core muscles than squats, obviously, and does it better. The two most important exercises for this type of thing are probably squats and core work, in that order. All of the physically demanding poo poo in judo uses your rear end and the muscles behind your belly button. Having a strong back helps too.

That is what the plan is as well. My stabilization for throws is garbage and I have a hard time keep my balance when being moved backwards. I thought I was doing OK for the last 2 years but that was when my judgement was clouded with depression and anxiety. Now, the black belts in my club are showing me that they are picking up on this and using it against me over and over again. It is motivation enough to get it fixed and to drop the body fat level in general.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

origami posted:

Turkish getups are tricky to do right without coaching.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
I've been doing a dragon flag progression as my core work because Bruce Lee

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

origami posted:

Have you got a video for this? I am on a deep half kick at the moment

Grandmaster.flv
Jun 24, 2011

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

Have you got a video for this? I am on a deep half kick at the moment

It was on some Bernardo Faria dvd I watched - it rang a bell because I visited Marcelo's recently and had another guy there do it to me a few times. Perhaps it's a bit of a misnomer though since you're exploding into it as they bring their leg/thigh over your head.

Grandmaster.flv fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 19, 2016

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010
Hey everyone, just wanted to vent and get some advice:

Just got back from Muay thai sparring since today was sparring day. We have like 9 guys so at the end of every round, we would all switch partners so you can get the chance to spar with everyone.

Everything was going well in the first two rounds, all the shots were controlled and the pace was good. Third round, my partner was this big n tall dude... Like he's seriously at least 3 weight classes above me. No problem I thought cos we're all going light n none of us are competition fighters. So the round starts and he was throwing shots that I didn't expect to be so hard. The kicks really stings too. I told him to take it easy hoping that he would tone it down but I felt that it didn't really change much. In hindsight, I should have said screw it n stopped there n then, but my idiot self wanted to see if I could last the remaining 2 mins with him. He cornered me and started to unload on me which I covered up but of course he started throwing hooks n kicking my ribs. At this point I was like gently caress this and started swinging for the fences. He caught me and I took a shot in the nose. It bled like a faucet. Instructor stopped the whole thing, my partner started apologizing and I quickly went to clean myself up. Instructor ask me whether I was alright and asked me to rest. He told me to always keep my hands up.

So I have a few questions:

1) is it possible that my sparring partner thought those were light shots and he didn't think i was taking damage?

2) My instructor is really cool and he's a big reason why I come here to train. But today, I felt that he wasn't really doing his job. I understand he's only one person and there's a lot of pairs that he's got to keep an eye one. But he was watching me spar that dude in the last 1.5 mins while I was getting hit big time. And the advice to always keep my hands up? Like what the gently caress is that? I was taking hooks and kicks everywhere WHILE my hands was up. He was 3 weight classes above me. How would that help at all in this situation? I guess I wanted my instructor to 'save me'. Lol. The question here is should i switch gyms?

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm feeling pretty emotional right now. Angry, hurt, in pain, a bit dizzy, my neck feels funny due to it being snapped back after each punch. gently caress.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

neonburzt posted:

1) is it possible that my sparring partner thought those were light shots and he didn't think i was taking damage?

2) My instructor is really cool and he's a big reason why I come here to train. But today, I felt that he wasn't really doing his job. I understand he's only one person and there's a lot of pairs that he's got to keep an eye one. But he was watching me spar that dude in the last 1.5 mins while I was getting hit big time. And the advice to always keep my hands up? Like what the gently caress is that? I was taking hooks and kicks everywhere WHILE my hands was up. He was 3 weight classes above me. How would that help at all in this situation? I guess I wanted my instructor to 'save me'. Lol. The question here is should i switch gyms?

Sorry for the wall of text. I'm feeling pretty emotional right now. Angry, hurt, in pain, a bit dizzy, my neck feels funny due to it being snapped back after each punch. gently caress.

1) yes. I was punch-too-hard guy at my gym when I started out because I legitimately thought I was going really light and very few of the ~tuff guys~ ever said anything. Let him know.

2) you gotta look out for yourself. I've been around coaches that babysat but none have tapped for me or asked me to sit out a round or whatever. this isn't something to leave a gym over because unless your mom puts a ring up in the garage you're probably not going to find what you want elsewhere.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

How do you deal with people who are going too hard during drills or practice? There's this dude in our class who is massive, and has trouble controlling his strength. He's also fairly unresponsive when it comes to me asking him to tone things down, strength or speed-wise. He hasn't caused an injury yet, but the way things are going it's only a matter of time. The person in charge of classes seems like he's not stepping up to say something, even though he sees a problem as well.

I thought about trying to explain to him that drilling isn't about going full-bore. That he hasn't developed good enough technique where his going full strength is really necessary or entirely safe. That technique comes first, then speed, then strength. The most I've told him so far is that drilling isn't about injuring your practicing partner. It's about getting requisite motions right so that when you spar you more readily access those maneuvers. But he seemed unresponsive to that, and instead became condescending because he has never seen me in class before and thinks he knows more than me. For reference, I took a break from classes for work, he showed up for the two months I was gone, and now I'm back. I've been doing this for three years.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
At a certain point you can't just use your words to get through to some people and the right thing to do is remove yourself from the situation thereby looking out for your own safety as well as denying them the chance to continue training. Keep putting him in that penalty box until he gets the point.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Verisimilidude posted:

How do you deal with people who are going too hard during drills or practice? There's this dude in our class who is massive, and has trouble controlling his strength. He's also fairly unresponsive when it comes to me asking him to tone things down, strength or speed-wise. He hasn't caused an injury yet, but the way things are going it's only a matter of time. The person in charge of classes seems like he's not stepping up to say something, even though he sees a problem as well.

I thought about trying to explain to him that drilling isn't about going full-bore. That he hasn't developed good enough technique where his going full strength is really necessary or entirely safe. That technique comes first, then speed, then strength. The most I've told him so far is that drilling isn't about injuring your practicing partner. It's about getting requisite motions right so that when you spar you more readily access those maneuvers. But he seemed unresponsive to that, and instead became condescending because he has never seen me in class before and thinks he knows more than me. For reference, I took a break from classes for work, he showed up for the two months I was gone, and now I'm back. I've been doing this for three years.

Whenever he uses too much force, stop practicing with him. Don't be proud.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

neonburzt posted:

How would that help at all in this situation?

You wouldn't have taken a shot to the nose if your hands where up. :smug:
Coach ain't gonna tap out for you, just leave the situation, if you don't coach is just gonna let it happen because he's probably thinking you can handle the pressure the dude is givin' ya.

Verisimilidude posted:

How do you deal with people who are going too hard during drills or practice?

You're under 0 obligation to train with people who won't tone it down if you ask them to. He won't listen, excuse your self, go to your coach and tell him I'm not working with that guy. Your coach should then shuffle partners around or ideally make him do burn outs on the heavy bag until he can learn to play nice with others. The thing you NEVER do is you amp energy up on the guy or attempt to sandbag him, that is how you or the other guy ends up injured, and more often then not YOU end up the one with a broken or pulled what ever.

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 21, 2016

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

Wangsbig posted:

1) yes. I was punch-too-hard guy at my gym when I started out because I legitimately thought I was going really light and very few of the ~tuff guys~ ever said anything. Let him know.

2) you gotta look out for yourself. I've been around coaches that babysat but none have tapped for me or asked me to sit out a round or whatever. this isn't something to leave a gym over because unless your mom puts a ring up in the garage you're probably not going to find what you want elsewhere.

Thanks man, I really needed to hear this. The next time this happens I'm just gonna flat out tell him that I'm not gonna continue unless he keeps it light.

To be honest, after my nosebleed, in my mind I was like, "dude, why don't u pick on someone your own size. does it make you feel good beating on smaller dudes". I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt tho.

I'm not gonna go to the gym for the rest of this week since I'm feeling really off. Like I need to get through this feeling of getting beaten up. Sparred many times and this is the first time I felt like this mentally.

The plan is to resume training on Monday while skipping all the sparring days for a month or so.

Thank you for the advice and I would love to hear your thoughts on anything else.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

KildarX posted:

You wouldn't have taken a shot to the nose if your hands where up. :smug:
Coach ain't gonna tap out for you, just leave the situation, if you don't coach is just gonna let it happen because he's probably thinking you can handle the pressure the dude is givin' ya.

Haha, truth.
It didn't occur to me at that point to just leave the ring since i already told him to take it easy. I'm definitely taking your advice next time round.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

neonburzt posted:

Thanks man, I really needed to hear this. The next time this happens I'm just gonna flat out tell him that I'm not gonna continue unless he keeps it light.

To be honest, after my nosebleed, in my mind I was like, "dude, why don't u pick on someone your own size. does it make you feel good beating on smaller dudes". I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt tho.

I'm not gonna go to the gym for the rest of this week since I'm feeling really off. Like I need to get through this feeling of getting beaten up. Sparred many times and this is the first time I felt like this mentally.

The plan is to resume training on Monday while skipping all the sparring days for a month or so.

Thank you for the advice and I would love to hear your thoughts on anything else.

I used to practice with a punch-too-hard guy. A coach would often bark at him "well if that's 50%, go 20%." I also explained to him once that each "pound" is like "a percent" - i.e. if you're 30 pounds bigger than your partner, your 20% feels like his 50%. Once those two notes began to sink in he got better to spar with (and better at boxing, actually.)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

neonburzt posted:

neonburzt posted:

I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt tho.

Just ask him after class or even at the end of the round. Or hell, even mid-round if it's seriously out of order.

quote:

2) My instructor is really cool and he's a big reason why I come here to train. But today, I felt that he wasn't really doing his job.
The question here is should i switch gyms?
Keep your eye on how he is generally when supervising sparring. "Really cool" doesn't necessarily translate to your safety and progression.

neonburzt
Jul 25, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Just ask him after class or even at the end of the round. Or hell, even mid-round if it's seriously out of order.

Keep your eye on how he is generally when supervising sparring. "Really cool" doesn't necessarily translate to your safety and progression.

I don't know how he is during sparring as I'm usually quite focused on my sparring partner. He usually goes round while all of us are sparring, giving each pair about 30secs of attention, shouting instructions... and moving on to the next, repeat.

It would be a while before I would be ready to spar again though after that beating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

neonburzt posted:

ok. my thoughts on the above is that it's a bad idea. don't let some (possibly unintentional) rear end in a top hat take time from your training. if there's an actual physical reason you can't go in, fine, but you can go in and spar light with someone else or shadowbox or at least watch a class after a nosebleed. you're letting yourself get intimidated and working on that is one of the reasons a lot of people start this sort of stuff to begin with. go punch

• Locked thread