Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
So are you all like real professors, or do you have MBAs? Masters in Basketweaving Arts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx
Can anyone recommend me an iOS DAW that I could use to put together a weekly radio show? I don't need much more than the ability to crossfade between tracks and use filters/EQs, so I'm really looking something easy to use for that purpose.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Dubstep Jesus posted:

Can anyone recommend me an iOS DAW that I could use to put together a weekly radio show? I don't need much more than the ability to crossfade between tracks and use filters/EQs, so I'm really looking something easy to use for that purpose.

GarageBand!

The latest version of GarageBand on iOS is shockingly good for whatever it costs $5 maybe?) I use it on my iPhone 6s+ but if you have an iPad I'd say it's even better.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Quantum of Phallus posted:

GarageBand!

The latest version of GarageBand on iOS is shockingly good for whatever it costs $5 maybe?) I use it on my iPhone 6s+ but if you have an iPad I'd say it's even better.

For some reason I had forgotten that I had that already and it looks like it does what I need, so thanks :)

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
What's a functional free app that will let me resize and upload images to imgur or something similar? I used to use picup but I guess an api changed cause now it's nonfunctional. Don't say the imgur app cause that poo poo is trash.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Pocketgur. It seems fine.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Try Upit

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Is there any way to get the outlook app to sync the drafts folder? Kind of annoying that it won't do that by default.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

bump_fn posted:

What's a functional free app that will let me resize and upload images to imgur or something similar? I used to use picup but I guess an api changed cause now it's nonfunctional. Don't say the imgur app cause that poo poo is trash.
I just use a weblink to their website; it's sadly the best interface so far. For "resizing", I just use the "add an l to the filename" trick to get a link to the large thumbnail vs the full image.

Crashes reliably whenever trying to upload for me. :(

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I started to look into stand alone GPS units because I do some back country driving in AZ from time to time. The article said that most people are probably better off with just apps on their smartphone, but it's a 3 year old article so I don't know if the recommended apps are still what people are using.

Has anyone used their phones instead of stand alone? If so, what's the best gps app for an iphone?

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Rick posted:

I started to look into stand alone GPS units because I do some back country driving in AZ from time to time. The article said that most people are probably better off with just apps on their smartphone, but it's a 3 year old article so I don't know if the recommended apps are still what people are using.

Has anyone used their phones instead of stand alone? If so, what's the best gps app for an iphone?

For driving, I like Waze.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
If you find Waze annoying (there's ads at stoplights) HERE is very good, it's the most like a standalone unit. I do fine with straight up Apple Maps though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

The Devil Tesla posted:

If you find Waze annoying (there's ads at stoplights) HERE is very good, it's the most like a standalone unit. I do fine with straight up Apple Maps though.

I usually do too, as long as I don't make a mistake and go the wrong way and that wrong way is somewhere with no internet. At that point it's just a dot in some empty grids. Is there a way to preload maps?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Google Maps can download maps for offline use. It can't calculate a new route offline though, so if you leave your route in a cellular dead zone then all you get is a dot on the map (which is better than nothing).

edit: All mapping apps probably cache map data as you go so the map doesn't disappear the moment you lose your connection, but you don't now how long it keeps that cache unless it specifically advertises offline capabilities.

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

It's designed for hiking rather than driving, but Gaia GPS is a fantastic app that lets you preload maps and plan routes. It's the most like a regular GPS device.

As far as hardware goes, the iPhone GPS is perfectly fine for practically everything. One of the newer iOS updates keeps the GPS running even in airplane mode, which is great for long trips into the middle of nowhere. If you do require more than 16 feet of accuracy or want to use a mapping app on an iPad without GPS, you can always get a standalone bluetooth GPS receiver and pair it.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I've used them all and HERE is my favourite. Just download the maps on wifi and then you're set. It even works where there's no connection at all. It's insanely good.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tankadillo posted:

It's designed for hiking rather than driving, but Gaia GPS is a fantastic app that lets you preload maps and plan routes. It's the most like a regular GPS device.

As far as hardware goes, the iPhone GPS is perfectly fine for practically everything. One of the newer iOS updates keeps the GPS running even in airplane mode, which is great for long trips into the middle of nowhere. If you do require more than 16 feet of accuracy or want to use a mapping app on an iPad without GPS, you can always get a standalone bluetooth GPS receiver and pair it.

Yeah, Apple's built in map app has never steered me wrong with the turn-by-turn. I used to get from Chicago to my brother's new home in Raleigh when he moved and it took me right to his driveway.

Google-maps is another good one that's been kept up to date for the most part.

The only issues I can think of is how often map data is updated with those two. When Apple's maps were poo poo, I used Navigon (which I think is now Garmin), but I haven't used it in years, and maps updates cost $$.

FAKE EDIT:^^^ I'll give HERE a spin when I head back to my brother's place over the 4th with Big Goofy Dog. (little yappy dog is being kenneled this year, never again on a road trip)

Weedle
May 31, 2006

I've found that Google Maps is better than Apple Maps at keeping up with road construction, at least where I live. This is a pretty tall order because our roads are a loving shitshow and the construction zones change every other minute. I also prefer Google Maps because it includes the option to avoid highways.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

HERE was able to give me accurate directions in the literal middle of nowhere in Ireland with no proper connection at all. It was a lifesaver.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
For the last year+ I've found Apple Maps to be adequate enough to ditch google/waze. I do keep Maps.me around for offline support. HERE is also nice. I also like Dark Sky, Overcast, and Paprika.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac
Living in DC metro area the regular construction updates google maps spits out is a lifesaver for my commute.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'll ditch waze once other apps show speed traps.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or you could just drive safely.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

withak posted:

Google Maps can download maps for offline use. It can't calculate a new route offline though

fyi it can as of a few versions ago, driving only though.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Rick posted:

If you're driving in your own country, use an app. If you leave the country and don't want to spent forty thousand dollars on roaming, HERE sounds pretty good and I tried it a couple of times and it seemed fine.

But personally, I use an old Garmin Nuvi 340 or something for international driving. We downloaded the North American maps and it took us from Halifax, Nova Scotia all the way to Acapulco in Mexico perfectly. The new garmins look super nice, though probably overpriced.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

dik-dik posted:

Is there any way to get the outlook app to sync the drafts folder? Kind of annoying that it won't do that by default.

unfortunately you need the latest exchange server to support drafts syncing. or office 365.

most of the time drafts are just stored locally.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Rick posted:

If you're somewhere with cellular coverage, Maps or Google Maps actually do really well in the Arizona back country.

If you need something that can deal with the real boonies, where LTE fears to tread, HERE Maps will let you download the whole state and has a surprising number of backroads and forest roads. That being said, the speed limits are frequently terribly out of date or just plain wrong, so the first thing you'll want to do is turn off the speed warnings. Otherwise you'll want to murder your passengers and drive into a goddamn tree after hearing the speed warning chime so often.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Molten Llama posted:

If you're somewhere with cellular coverage, Maps or Google Maps actually do really well in the Arizona back country.

If you need something that can deal with the real boonies, where LTE fears to tread, HERE Maps will let you download the whole state and has a surprising number of backroads and forest roads. That being said, the speed limits are frequently terribly out of date or just plain wrong, so the first thing you'll want to do is turn off the speed warnings. Otherwise you'll want to murder your passengers and drive into a goddamn tree after hearing the speed warning chime so often.

On a whim I re-downloaded Navigon (owned by Garmin), and it uses HERE maps. Apparently so does Apple for Apple Maps.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

cvisors posted:

unfortunately you need the latest exchange server to support drafts syncing. or office 365.

most of the time drafts are just stored locally.

I have office 365 (this is my school account)

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

is there anything simplistic like mailbox that still gets push notifications for gmail? i like spark and all but i basically never get notifications at all anymore and just get all my email when i get home after work. i'd rather have it built in than enabling noticiations for the mail.app and using a different one to actually read it.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

The Outlook app is very good and Mailbox-ish. Also the Inbox app.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Yeah, if you're just using Gmail, Inbox is actually really good (and they stole most of the app's ideas from Mailbox anyway). Otherwise, Outlook works great.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Inbox is the poo poo and has a desktop client.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Molten Llama posted:

The latest trip was to Klondyke, and I think maps would've been fine had I not made a wrong turn, and it wasn't for a good twenty minutes until Siri started say "proceed to route" and I had all grids. I knew that the road eventually made it to the 70 via signage so I wasn't super panicked but it would've been nice to be able to locate myself. Found a pretty good roadside place in Pima, too!

I'm gonna try out HERE.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

rear end Catchcum posted:

Inbox is the poo poo and has a desktop client.

Which desktop client? Boxy?

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

I tried out inbox and outlook and picked outlook because I can customize the swipe actions. wish I could do halfway for archive and all the way for delete and keep snooze on the other side but I'll survive

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Boxy yes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

What are some third-party music apps that will interface with iCloud Music Library and support album shuffle? I've tried Cesium and Ecoute but I wasn't too crazy about either of them.

cvisors
Sep 24, 2003
Carnage Visors
Sugartime Jones

dik-dik posted:

I have office 365 (this is my school account)

Strangely I was asked this question today by a client. and it seems that iOS mail doesn't support it nor does the iOS Outlook client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does good reader let me reflow/convert 2 column PDFs into a single column for reading? Their website seems to say it does this but with the caveat that it gets extracted as a plain exit file. Could someone do me a favor and tell me what eg PDFs like this one https://arxiv.org/pdf/1604.05718 look like if you use the reflow option? I'm assuming the graphs simply just disappear and the math looks like weird lovely symbols.