Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Reductor artillery is difficult when you are playing Legio Cybernetica :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Dark lances for days then. Or use the ~super amazing and fairly price HEAVY LASCANNON~ (jk what the gently caress forgeworld)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Hencoe posted:

Dark lances for days then. Or use the ~super amazing and fairly price HEAVY LASCANNON~ (jk what the gently caress forgeworld)

Dark lances are expensive and non-scoring troops.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

DJ Dizzy posted:

Reductor artillery is difficult when you are playing Legio Cybernetica :v:

Krios tanks with pulsars are probably your best bet; S9, Ap2, 4 shot ordnance. But you need a HS robbit to ulock them, so, huh... good luck.
Maybe a Thanatar Cynis, that's four S8 Ap2 shots. And unlocks the above Krios.
Conversion beamer myrmidons? Not saying it's good, but it's there.
Bring an Atrapos and shoot blackholes all day every day.

Speaking of the Cynis, when the hell are we getting a model for it. It's the best of the three thanatars, hurry up FW :(

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

DJ Dizzy posted:

Dark lances are expensive and non-scoring troops.

As cybernetica you don't have a lot of choices really, there's also conversion Beamer myrmidons but they are just okay I think. Thallax with multi meltas are fine until armored ceremite Spartan. Besides punching things, the krios venator and the Lightning are your best bets if you don't want to rely on the lances.

Hencoe fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 17, 2016

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!
Arlataxes seem like they'd be good as well - jump pack MC with the choice of S9 claws or +10 pts for the armourbane arc scourge should put a hole in the side of most tanks.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
What'd be the best way to become a hardcore masochist build a Iron Warriors list without resorting to counts-as Iron Hands copping out? I love the idea of Ironfire but the local meta would poo poo all over a artillery heavy army.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

What'd be the best way to become a hardcore masochist build a Iron Warriors list without resorting to counts-as Iron Hands copping out? I love the idea of Ironfire but the local meta would poo poo all over a artillery heavy army.

Iron Warriors doesn't HAVE to be all artillery all the time, tanks and dreads are a really good investment and perfectly thematic. I tend to run a medusa or two and a unit of quad launchers with at least shatter shells. Both are a threat to really anything. The deredo with the autocannons is probably the best dual purpose AA/AT unit in the game and is a "jink or die" kind of intercepter, which takes away a lot of heat against a lightning loaded with kraken or a xiphon. What kind of a meta do you have anyways?

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Hencoe posted:

What kind of a meta do you have anyways?

At the moment it's in a little bit of a flux, so I'm thinking ahead to what it'll probably be like when my Iron Warriors would be table ready. At the moment we have a mechanised Emperor's Children force, a flyer heavy Imperial Fists, a Knight Household with allied Warhound, en-masse Assault Marine Blood Angels, Terminator swarm Death Guard and bog-standard Salamanders.
Then we've got people who're building a Drop Pod-ed World Eaters list and a White Scars biker-mob coming up, as well as a general arms-race for more flyers amongst everyone after too many games with the Knight player's Ultras ruling the sky with a trio of Fire Raptors/Storm Eagles.

Pretty diverse for a small scene like ours I think.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
break everyone's dumb tryhard toys

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Tell the dude playing with Knights and a warhound every game to try a new list, lol. That sounds like a huge ween punch.

All drop pod hasn't been much fun to play against either

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Luckily Knight dude's ability to run the Warhound is entirely reliant on if he can hitch a ride, otherwise he's stuck carting it through one of the roughest areas in town. But even without it, it's a nasty list to play against (much less so when using my Mechanicum admittedly).

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

It's pretty weird that somebody would have a loving Warhound Titan but not, you know, a car.

Anyway, here's some words to describe what Hixson and I did in our campaign today:

Stanyer89
Aug 4, 2012

panascope posted:

It's pretty weird that somebody would have a loving Warhound Titan but not, you know, a car.

Anyway, here's some words to describe what Hixson and I did in our campaign today:

Smashed is what I did to all of my painted toys after the lamest ending to a game, ever.

And I have seen a lot of lame poo poo playing with you losers over the years.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Because my family is aware of my dark secret, I got a £55 Forge World voucher for my birthday. I want to get something to expand my Death Guard mans, but I'm not totally sure what just yet. Here's what I currently have:

-Cataphractii Praetor
-Siege Breaker Consul
-Moritat Consul
-10 Jump-pack Destroyers
-4 Deathshroud
-Land Raider Phobos
-30 Tactical mans
-2 sergeants
-5 chem-munition heavy flamer mans to function as the "retinue" for the siege breaker
-Rhino
-Contemptor with lascannon and heavy flamer fist

I'm thinking I should get some arty (Medusa) or a flyer (Xiphon? Lightning?). Thoughts? Should I get something completely different?

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

panascope posted:

Seriously.

You should share what you did, those stories are magical.

Pyrolocutus
Feb 5, 2005
Shape of Flame

panascope posted:

Weird way to describe your post-match coitus.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Today we played the worst, least satisfying game of warhammer in many many years.

To start, we spent time talking through our armies, which terrain counted for what, and the victory objectives of the game before we started playing. We made sure everyone knew what was going on. Awful. Then we rolled ambush, which we wanted to play because the guys in the middle were guaranteed to get hosed over and get super mad, but instead everyone set up the board all balanced and nobody was really upset or screwed over. loving lame. What happened after that was 6400 points of hardened men plowing into each other. For 5 hours. That was NOT OK, I mean the plowing men part, since it was just models and not actual men so it was definitely not ok for Panascope. Anyways the game was constantly super close, both sides having nail biters, with wild shifts to the balance of power almost every turn. Booooooring. 6 turns of attrition later, the game was tied with each side holding 2 unmarked objectives each. Luckily we played war of lies, so the final game came down to four dice rolls. Guaranteed drama maker! Finally! Panascope and I rolled two 5s, Hixson rolled a 3, and Stanyer rolled a 1. Our mouths salivated. Everyone leaned in close for the explosive table flipping poo poo fest we knew was about to happen. Stanyer breathed in a gasp of air, grabbed his nearest model, and then calmly put it into his army case. Then he said "That was really fun."

Nothing. loving nothing. Another really close game. We got so mad about not being mad that we hugged it out to release our impotent rage and, after agreeing that it was one of the worst games we've played in probably a few years, we wouldn't meet in a few weeks to keep slamming men into each other.

So for you guys on the fence about 30 kay- be warned. It is a very clear NO FUN ZONE. The armies are relativity well balanced, the lack of formations/OBSEC is awesome, events feel more decisive with ebbs in the flow throughout the game, everything is lethal, and there are a total of ZERO space elves. It has become harder and harder for our group to get mad with this game. I do not recommend. Still shaking while I write this.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

BULBASAUR posted:

Today we played the worst, least satisfying game of warhammer in many many years.

To start, we spent time talking through our armies, which terrain counted for what, and the victory objectives of the game before we started playing. We made sure everyone knew what was going on. Awful. Then we rolled ambush, which we wanted to play because the guys in the middle were guaranteed to get hosed over and get super mad, but instead everyone set up the board all balanced and nobody was really upset or screwed over. loving lame. What happened after that was 6400 points of hardened men plowing into each other. For 5 hours. That was NOT OK, I mean the plowing men part, since it was just models and not actual men so it was definitely not ok for Panascope. Anyways the game was constantly super close, both sides having nail biters, with wild shifts to the balance of power almost every turn. Booooooring. 6 turns of attrition later, the game was tied with each side holding 2 unmarked objectives each. Luckily we played war of lies, so the final game came down to four dice rolls. Guaranteed drama maker! Finally! Panascope and I rolled two 5s, Hixson rolled a 3, and Stanyer rolled a 1. Our mouths salivated. Everyone leaned in close for the explosive table flipping poo poo fest we knew was about to happen. Stanyer breathed in a gasp of air, grabbed his nearest model, and then calmly put it into his army case. Then he said "That was really fun."

Nothing. loving nothing. Another really close game. We got so mad about not being mad that we hugged it out to release our impotent rage and, after agreeing that it was one of the worst games we've played in probably a few years, we wouldn't meet in a few weeks to keep slamming men into each other.

So for you guys on the fence about 30 kay- be warned. It is a very clear NO FUN ZONE. The armies are relativity well balanced, the lack of formations/OBSEC is awesome, events feel more decisive with ebbs in the flow throughout the game, everything is lethal, and there are a total of ZERO space elves. It has become harder and harder for our group to get mad with this game. I do not recommend. Still shaking while I write this.

You should start Emperor's Children but use White Scars rules.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Mango Polo posted:

bulba, hey

just for you

Someone buy me a shaking Pertrabo avatar with a gay joke so we can forever remember how awesome Mango's posting is

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 18, 2016

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

You played both ambush and war of lies? The gently caress is wrong with you. Other than making me wish I lived down there to play some 30kay. Then they could play actual iron warriors.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I realised at one point a game of 40k on the horizon made me just feel... Tired. The thought of playing some hideously complex foe I didn't understand who had rerolls to everything was just not enjoyable. Now I can write an army list with over 1000 pts in a 6 man unit in a transport and play with jacked megamen

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Ambush wasn't bad. With enough cover it worked pretty well and I'd play it again with my white scars.

War of Lies needs tweaks though. We house ruled that you could reveal an objective your opponent placed if you get near it, but nobody got that close so it ended up coming down to two dice rolls. If the thread has other clever ideas we'd try them out.

Our last two games have been just awesome. Hixson and Panascope are really good players. Stanyer and I learn a lot when they aren't shouting at us to concede. So in other words, we learn very little.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

So will people be mad if I paint Anacharis in a red/black scheme, rather than the god awful xana scheme?

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

"Look, it's a tie!" - Words said right before they lost.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Of course they'll be mad, because you're fielding a dude who can stomp all over every primarch except Horus.

More seriously nah no one should mind.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

The eye of horus podcast just made me aware of a thing. Ordinator magos with photon thruster :getin:

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Anyone play RG? I was interested in some Mor Deythan with a 10 man jump pack destroyers squad led by a mortitat with some Deathwind Drop Pods. Is this a good idea or the best idea?

Germ
May 7, 2013

Lord Twisted posted:

Anyone play RG? I was interested in some Mor Deythan with a 10 man jump pack destroyers squad led by a mortitat with some Deathwind Drop Pods. Is this a good idea or the best idea?

I've got a whopping 2 games under my belt, which pretty much makes me an expert. Six Mor Deythan with combi-flamers in a rhino have been fantastic. If you get the first turn (which is more likely than not if you use Decapitation Strike), they're pretty much guaranteed to wipe out the enemy infantry unit of your choice. I've only been running one Deathstorm and, so far, it's been disappointing. I haven't touched Destroyers yet.

5 man melta and plasma support squads in drop pods are the bees knees. It makes for a really devestating turn 2.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Krak or Frag deathstorm? As I was looking at the Krak version - fairly expensive but still damaging as gently caress if you think that after turn 1 they fire at BS4

Germ
May 7, 2013

Admittedly, I've been using the frag launcher, with dreams of pinning an opponent's entire army turn one. Said dream has not come true, and I don't think it's actually hurt anyone. I should probably look into the krak launcher.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
I'm in the middle of a painting "commission" for the HH box. I finished up the Ultramarines portion of it and a friend of mine wanted to practice his model photography, so I got some nice pics out of the deal. Figured I'd share them here. The Word Bearers half are being done up as Black Templars (the guy requesting the work doesn't care, though I'm going to do them up with yellow on the left shoulderpads to keep it real). I'm no Bulbasaur, my autism only goes so far, but I've been pretty satisfied overall with the work.

Haven't finalized my scheme for my Emperor's Children yet, though this is a good practice for when I start slamming that out in another couple weeks.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
I really like those bases, how'd you make them?

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

tallkidwithglasses posted:

I really like those bases, how'd you make them?

They're standard GW bases. I used my superglue bottle and ran it around on the base, then I dipped the base into my aggregate container that had bits of fine sand, crushed rock and bit/sprue/flash aggregate that I've built up over the last 2 years of building models. I primed the entire model black including the base, hit the "rock" stuff with decreasing levels of drybrush of mechanicum grey, followed by dawnstone, then white scar. The brown was just PP's Bloodtracker brown done in 2-3 layers to fill and not be concerned with overlapping the aggregate. I used a round #5 brush for the base work so it's sloppy application, but that's a good thing.

e:

Like, in this image, the second guy from the right has half of a plasma pistol on his base. That was one I cut off of the Chaplain character from my 30k box set when I made him into a Praetor for my Emperor's Children. The broken bit got thrown into the aggregate container and when I ran the base through, it got picked up. I left it there and painted it in like it was battlefield debris.

koreban fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Apr 19, 2016

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Those are some pretty Alpha Legion.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

Germ posted:

Admittedly, I've been using the frag launcher, with dreams of pinning an opponent's entire army turn one. Said dream has not come true, and I don't think it's actually hurt anyone. I should probably look into the krak launcher.

What have you been using for troops? Two tacticals in a drop pod?

I'm thinking of using the deep strike logistic special character, mor deythan in a rhino, 2 tacs in pods, Melta SS in pod, plasma SS in pod, 2 Deathwind and a Primaris so far. Then probably flavour with some dark furies or destroyers

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

Doesn't it seem weird that this dude can be your warlord yet he's also a support officer?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

muggins posted:

Doesn't it seem weird that this dude can be your warlord yet he's also a support officer?
I don't know where you're getting those rules from, but heralds don't have Rite of Command in book VI.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Does anyone bothing paying for the extra close combat weapon on tactical blobs? I'm running Imperial Fists so I don't really want them in combat anyway.

260pts for a 20man squad with a vexilla, the extra attack boosts them to a round 300. :effort:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

Safety Factor posted:

I don't know where you're getting those rules from, but heralds don't have Rite of Command in book VI.

It's a picture out of my book 6,lol