Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoYouHasaRabbit
Oct 8, 2007
I'm pumping strength with my Zweihander. I just took away my shield after fighting the Abyss Watchers too. This is a lot more fun and you really learn when to dodge for enemy's attacks.

Hopefully a strength build doesn't bite me in the rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
attn: dude who i am invading

i am waiting on top of the ladder at the end of the level. i know i made you waste five estuses even with your wierd dumb phantom buddy who was really bad at playing defense

you have not moved from spawn in around twenty minutes. i made some tea and i am now going to take a shower while it cools off.

i have noted that you have dismissed your phantom pal and then resummoned him, presumably as part of a clever ploy. this is a dance with which i can guess that you are well practiced, but i have two monitors and thus am impervious to your tactics.

your move, creep.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Wow, the area after the Pontiff is a complete invasion clusterfuck what the hell. Took two steps inside and got invaded by 4 people at once, 2 Blues and 2 reds, is that normal?

yes and gently caress you :smug:

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Orv posted:

Individual ones can be across characters but when it says "Collect All X" it means on one character. So you'll have to do NG++ for rings, for example.

Here's another question about this - lets say I miss a ring in NG. Is the +0 version going to be in NG+ along with the +1 version? Or do I have to make doubly sure to have all rings before I move on?

TescoBag
Dec 2, 2009

Oh god, not again.

Anybody looking for some jolly co-operation give me a shout, I'm looking to help dudes and you can summon at any level if you're using a password!

This is on PC and my username is TescoBag

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TescoBag/

TescoBag fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Apr 18, 2016

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Meiteron posted:

Here's another question about this - lets say I miss a ring in NG. Is the +0 version going to be in NG+ along with the +1 version? Or do I have to make doubly sure to have all rings before I move on?

All of the +0 ones will still be there in NG+, not so sure about +1 in NG++ though.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

Tiler Kiwi posted:

attn: dude who i am invading

i am waiting on top of the ladder at the end of the level. i know i made you waste five estuses even with your wierd dumb phantom buddy who was really bad at playing defense

you have not moved from spawn in around twenty minutes. i made some tea and i am now going to take a shower while it cools off.

i have noted that you have dismissed your phantom pal and then resummoned him, presumably as part of a clever ploy. this is a dance with which i can guess that you are well practiced, but i have two monitors and thus am impervious to your tactics.

your move, creep.

i've noticed a lot of people who get invaded are very happy to try and just sit at a bonfire and hope you go away for eternity rather than engage you, and you really have to work at pissing them off enough to get them to chase you or otherwise do something. if they do summon phantoms, the phantoms also do not want to engage you past the host, so you get this group of 2-4 people all huddled around a bonfire, abjectly terrified of having to engage 1 person, when in all likelihood they could very easily overwhelm you in short order.

then, when they finally do creep out as a squad, they get immediately distracted by the first pack of monsters or whatever, forget they're supposed to be protecting the host, and you can just run past them and backstab the host to death. it makes no sense.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
That's funny, implying you can actually land a backstab in DS3.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

homeless poster posted:

i've noticed a lot of people who get invaded are very happy to try and just sit at a bonfire and hope you go away for eternity rather than engage you, and you really have to work at pissing them off enough to get them to chase you or otherwise do something. if they do summon phantoms, the phantoms also do not want to engage you past the host, so you get this group of 2-4 people all huddled around a bonfire, abjectly terrified of having to engage 1 person, when in all likelihood they could very easily overwhelm you in short order.

then, when they finally do creep out as a squad, they get immediately distracted by the first pack of monsters or whatever, forget they're supposed to be protecting the host, and you can just run past them and backstab the host to death. it makes no sense.

he just disconnected so i feel i won a moral victory

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has anyone ever gotten frostbite to trigger off any enemy, pc or npc?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I think I'm going to reroll a faster character since I'm only a few bosses in. What do you guys recommend for stat distribution? I think I still want to do a weapon+shield, but I really find it hard to play a heavy armor knight because rolling is so slow.

Do people normally take a one-hander+shield and then also a big 2hander and switch between them? Or is it common to do a 2hander+shield?

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Nuebot posted:

So I'm farming this great sword black knight because I want the armor and the sword. They were thoughtful enough to put a crucified hollow right next to the door you walk past, if you run he aggros. I think they're my least favorite enemy right now just because of their sounds. The super large attack radius and weird semi-grab thing they do is annoying too.

There's a bonfire later on that makes the run to him a little easier. You see the closed door on the right when you go into the ruins? You eventually open it up, and it's right next to a bonfire.

Gnumonic posted:

If you break the bridge before High Lord Wolnir and slide down and hang a right in the Smouldering Lake, one crystal lizard before the room with Horace in it drops one. I distinctly remember finding a second one (and having a +7 weapon) before Aldrich, but I can't recall where the second was. As far as I know nothing has a chance to drop them that you have access to before killing the Dancer.

You can trade for one with the crow

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I think I'm going to reroll a faster character since I'm only a few bosses in. What do you guys recommend for stat distribution? I think I still want to do a weapon+shield, but I really find it hard to play a heavy armor knight because rolling is so slow.

Do people normally take a one-hander+shield and then also a big 2hander and switch between them? Or is it common to do a 2hander+shield?

If you want to fast-roll for most of the early game you're gonna have to get used to carrying only one weapon, plus a smaller shield. Even a simple longbow is going to weigh you down pretty badly if you equip it alongside your stabbin' stick.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
JFC Aldrich simmer the gently caress down

I got so giddy when I saw Anor Lando:allears:

also, what's with the summon signs that are gold but red lettering?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
I'm getting really bored of straight swords, I'm not a huge fan of the super slow greataxes / UGS either, anyone got some good recommendations for weapons I might try out? I used to love GS in the previous games but the damage output compared to straight swords is just horrible.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Toriori posted:

also, what's with the summon signs that are gold but red lettering?

Those are the same as the red summon signs, the owner just happens to be a sun bro. I think people do it to try and get someone to summon them by mistake :haw:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Does the nameless king drop anything worthwhile? I've spent longer on him than the rest of 3's bosses combined, and I'm so sick of his infinite poise/infinite combo bullshit that I'd really like to just say gently caress it and stop playing.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

why reroll?

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Elman posted:

Those are the same as the red summon signs, the owner just happens to be a sun bro. I think people do it to try and get someone to summon them by mistake :haw:

Someone like me apparently

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

I'm getting really bored of straight swords, I'm not a huge fan of the super slow greataxes / UGS either, anyone got some good recommendations for weapons I might try out? I used to love GS in the previous games but the damage output compared to straight swords is just horrible.

try the warden twinblades with carthus rogue item

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

RabidWeasel posted:

Falchion

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

GreyPowerVan posted:

try the warden twinblades with carthus rogue item

Speaking of, is it work using a blood gem for the extra +8 or whatever bleed it gets?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Omi no Kami posted:

Does the nameless king drop anything worthwhile? I've spent longer on him than the rest of 3's bosses combined, and I'm so sick of his infinite poise/infinite combo bullshit that I'd really like to just say gently caress it and stop playing.

Just summon help. It's the only fight in any Dark Souls game that I've ever broken my rule of "always solo for the first kill" on. It's not worth the time or effort.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Goddamn I love what they did with the titanite demons this time around. What logical progression and I wonder why no one at From ever thought about it before.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just got the dark sword on my sixth dickwraith kill. :toot:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Wozbo posted:

Speaking of, is it work using a blood gem for the extra +8 or whatever bleed it gets?

in pve only a few mobs have low enough bleed resist to be worth it and even with a katana it needs a full combo to trigger bleed

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Captain Oblivious posted:

Just summon help. It's the only fight in any Dark Souls game that I've ever broken my rule of "always solo for the first kill" on. It's not worth the time or effort.

Is there a mutually-agreed upon summoning point? I've embered a bunch of times, and never seen any signs near the bonfire/lever

Mr. Funktastic
Dec 27, 2012

College Slice
dark souls 3 is amazing and probably the best souls game so far but god drat are those giant beast headed guys with the tree staffs in farron keep loving bullshit to deal with

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Alright today I'm gonna beat the Champ! Cleared my head and relaxed so now surely it will be easy!

*5 deaths later*

:qq: Oh god no its not easy it hurts :qq:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

RabidWeasel posted:

The Hollowslayer Greatsword is really nice - great moveset, range, and faster than most of the other ones. A couple of the Curved Greatswords are nice too - Murakumo and Exile Greatsword spring to mind.

Halberds are pretty nice for PvP - the Gundyr Halberd is fun as hell and basically the new Santier's Spear. And speaking of Spears, the Swordspear is rad as hell. Katanas are great this time, almost as ridiculous as straight swords for PvP and they have a nice moveset that can get you through the entire game.

Drang Hammers are also really legit, and for sheer fun, the Demon's Fist is hard to beat.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Mr. Funktastic posted:

dark souls 3 is amazing and probably the best souls game so far but god drat are those giant beast headed guys with the tree staffs in farron keep loving bullshit to deal with

They're pretty much impossible unless you kite them away from the deep water.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

Vikar Jerome posted:

This is it, this is the moment i realized how amazing it was that i was alive during the launch week of what is clearly the best loving game that we, as a species, have been graced with. loving amazing rainbow battle.

i had another fun time in the undead settlement just now, i was invaded by a fellow purplebro, i had the way of the blue mark on so that guy game in and i summoned another regular dude so purplebro could get his meat. purplebro seemed sad that he had invaded some scum player summoning dudes at first until he realized i wasn't fighting, i was just walking around using the clap gesture all the time to really drive it home. this loving game, man. best gestures in the series too. clapping is so satisfying.

also best is in high wall near vordt, using purplebro summon stone, fighting a few monsters with the host and then backstabbing them before they realize their mistake.

that same dark spirit kicked my rear end because i couldn't break their poise. rip

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RabidWeasel posted:

even between heavy weapons they all have different swing speeds for their attack patterns (for example the black knight weapons feel especially slow). try out a few that seem cool and you'll be surprised. although heavy hammers and axes tend to favor strength almost exclusively, there's a few greatswords that favor dex, so you can even mess around with that.

other weapons entirely, the butcher knife is cool & good and starts w/ A STR scaling, and the bandit axe is also a good axe that isn't a heavy axe if you don't want to deal with that.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yo I just picked up an item and it says I can do something with it and I am kind of scared to do that thing.

This game is full of neat poo poo

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

The Hollowslayer Greatsword is really nice - great moveset, range, and faster than most of the other ones. A couple of the Curved Greatswords are nice too - Murakumo and Exile Greatsword spring to mind.

Halberds are pretty nice for PvP - the Gundyr Halberd is fun as hell and basically the new Santier's Spear. And speaking of Spears, the Swordspear is rad as hell. Katanas are great this time, almost as ridiculous as straight swords for PvP and they have a nice moveset that can get you through the entire game.

Drang Hammers are also really legit, and for sheer fun, the Demon's Fist is hard to beat.

Is there another ultra greatsword besides the FUGS that has the 2 handed R2 thrust attack? I really miss it from the Zweihander in DS2 and haven't managed to find anything else that has it yet (although I'm only halfway through the game).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Where should I put my sign down for Abyss Watcher fighting? The bonfires aren't working, people just go fight the giant mages instead.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Holy poo poo I just realized I missed a bunch of weapons by not transposing them. I knew I should have saved those boss souls for something. I definitely want to reroll now.

I'm still not sure how to distribute stats in an efficient way. Should I just try and get STR/DEX up to like 25 so I can use most weapons, then choose one to max out? Is there soft-caps like in BB?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mr. Funktastic posted:

I killed one and saw that it dropped 4 times the souls of any other enemy in the place except the Darkwraith. I don't think they're meant to be fought. Their aggro range is fairly small but their patrol routes are regular and they gently caress you up if you're seen, so I figured they were meant to further limit your mobility in the swamp.

Freaking Crumbum
Apr 17, 2003

Too fuck to drunk

RBA Starblade posted:

Where should I put my sign down for Abyss Watcher fighting? The bonfires aren't working, people just go fight the giant mages instead.

either the bonfire that is much closer to AW or closer to their fog wall? if you're putting your sign at either of the 3 bonfires on the road of sacrifices or the upper crab swamp, it's not surprising people might juke you out for the crystal sages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

There's nothing like the rusted iron ring in 3, right? Because that area would be amazing if it weren't for the mobility problems.