Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Spermgod posted:

I wish someone would do a history of Japanese indie wrestling. So much interesting stuff there. The big two plus the UWF had a virtual monopoly on men's talent so guys like Onita and Hamada had to resort to a weird hodgepodge of karate guys, luchadors, women and guys who flunked out of the big two's dojo system like Ultimo Dragon and Tarzan Goto. Somehow out of that FMW was able to sell out domes with no TV for a couple of years.
-There's too much to cover for "a history". It would need to get broken down into a bunch of pieces.

-FMW's ability to draw big once a year at Kawasaki Stadium is really something unique in wrestling. Most feds have a pyramid shape to their drawing numbers in terms of having a lot of small shows, a few mid-tier draws, and one big event. FMW was like a small hill with a 1,000 foot pole in the middle, rarely doing ~10,000 but drawing 30,000-50,000 for a handful of Onita singles matches. I will note that based on the gates, FMW's stadium shows probably had ticket prices that were 30-60% less than New Japan's. For instance, FMW's best all-time gate (5/5/95, Onita's "retirement" vs Hayabusa) was $2.5 million, and later that year New Japan raked in $6.1 million for the first big NJ vs UWFi event despite only drawing 10% more people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I really want to see a genealogy chart of Japanese wrestling promotions.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you have an interest in FMW and haven't already done so, read BAHU's FMW history page.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
JWA begat New Japan, All Japan and IWE. All Japan begat Royal Road, Kings Road, NOAH, Wrestle-1, and arguably SWS. New Japan begat UWF (and its three incarnations), Big Mouth Loud, Zero-1, IGF, and Muga/Dradition/Legend.

That's just the start...

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

What's the story with Zero-1, anyway? Wiki says Hashimoto was fired late in the year 2000 shortly after proposing a NJPW spinoff called Pro Wrestling ZERO but doesn't explain why. He was a huge star for them and only 35, what happened?

Did AJPW make any kinda play for him as this was shortly after their huge exodus?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Apr 1, 2016

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Thauros posted:

What's the story with Zero-1, anyway? Wiki says Hashimoto was fired late in the year 2000 shortly after proposing a NJPW spinoff called Pro Wrestling ZERO but doesn't explain why. He was a huge star for them and only 35, what happened?
Never underestimate the desire of successful Japanese wrestlers to have a floundering indie promotion of their very own.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Spermgod posted:

I wish someone would do a history of Japanese indie wrestling. So much interesting stuff there. The big two plus the UWF had a virtual monopoly on men's talent so guys like Onita and Hamada had to resort to a weird hodgepodge of karate guys, luchadors, women and guys who flunked out of the big two's dojo system like Ultimo Dragon and Tarzan Goto. Somehow out of that FMW was able to sell out domes with no TV for a couple of years.

Just like in Mexico, before PPVs and widespread tv-coverage, wrestling was promoted through magazines. Having a product like FMW produced good buzz since you had flashy explosions showing you a new style of wrestling. This made fans want to get the tapes (commercial tapes were your way of seeing shows and FMW had a good distributor) which in turn gave you an idea what the product was. FMW also toured smaller venues where the big promotions wouldn't run.

The reason why Kawasaki was succesful was because of Onita being the working class hero. All those shows had him face someone bigger than him (Funk,Tenryu,Retirement). Cheap ticket prices and a big headline match drew crowds.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Thauros posted:

Did AJPW make any kinda play for him as this was shortly after their huge exodus?

Part of it was that Choshu and him were having arguments about booking, I think

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
namely that Hashimoto didn't want to job to anybody I believe

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

Spermgod/people who watch AJPW, what can you tell me about this guy?

https://twitter.com/smashwrestling/status/716078779421089794

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
they focused on Ibushi at tonight's NXT Takeover

:getin:

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..

MagicCube posted:

Spermgod/people who watch AJPW, what can you tell me about this guy?

https://twitter.com/smashwrestling/status/716078779421089794

Pretty much completely average but it's kind of a cute gimmick. He just had a rare long singles match on a recent AJPW show that was solid http://rutube.ru/video/e444e3789762ca5503231246df552ece/

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
He used to be tag partners with BUSHI who I' always thought was super bland until he joined Los Ingobernables and started rudoing it up. That is the extent of my SUSHI knowledge.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
SUSHI is the former Akira Raijin of TNA Kiyoshi fame.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So, uhh, Tanahashi lost his air guitar in Okinawa... and now it has a Web site.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
It's me. I stole it.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

There's more than just that. He remembers having it in Okinawa, and is pretty sure he brought it back to Tokyo...right? And when the interviewer asks about color, shape, things like that, Tana shuts him down immediately. Why's it so important? It's in use from his entrance all the way through to the end of the match...

This is goofy as hell but I wouldn't be surprised if the NJPW face fans eat it up.

Tonfa
Apr 8, 2008

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Kota Ibushi is set to compete on an IGF card on 5/29. :psyduck:

What's next, gathering of the juggalos?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Tonfa posted:

the wwe global cruiserweight tourney

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

ayn rand hand job posted:

the wwe global cruiserweight tourney

The Gathering and the WWE tourney are extremely likely to happen. The dude was smart in putting up his own booking office, since everyone is willing to dish out the cash for him.

Punch McLightning
Sep 19, 2005

you know what that means

Grimey Drawer
Ditch, do you have a spreadsheet for 1980s or 1990s puro matches like the 2000s one?

edit: and/or something including joshi?

Punch McLightning fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Apr 18, 2016

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Tonfa posted:

ICP probably pays better than Inoki.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Fauxhawk Express posted:

ICP probably pays better than Inoki.

Inoki pays kickboxers five figures per match to fake fight.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

MassRafTer posted:

Inoki pays kickboxers five figures per match to fake fight.

The yakuza money from dse had to go somewhere.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I never got to the '90s, and DVDVR was doing the '80s so I passed on it.

Which reminds me, I really need to finish tallying the votes on the 2000s.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!
Shameless promotion aside, inspired by this thread, I'm currently working on a chronological flow chart of all major (and not so major) Puroresu promotions. include Bahu's FMW webpage, Japanese Wikipedia and countless back issues of Weekly Pro-Wrestling. Coming sometime. Maybe.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd really like to see that, especially where promotions got absorbed back into someone else.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

Jake Soo posted:

Shameless promotion aside, inspired by this thread, I'm currently working on a chronological flow chart of all major (and not so major) Puroresu promotions. include Bahu's FMW webpage, Japanese Wikipedia and countless back issues of Weekly Pro-Wrestling. Coming sometime. Maybe.

cool! I was working on a quick-n-dirty one a while back but I look forward to seeing one that had a drat given about it.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
https://twitter.com/bodyslam0212/status/724211207519895552

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Great for Sekimoto.

I still wonder how AJPW is still in business, I guess sold shows are the norm?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Probably some of that (I highly doubt they're paying anything for their upcoming Sumo Hall show for instance). They also have a ton of sponsors including some really big ones like the Japanese Automobile Federation.

They're running on a skeleton crew right now and supplementing with a ton of outsiders, but the promotion booked by Akiyama and built around himself, Suwama (before he got injured), Zeus and Miyahara as the ace with Nomura (the best 2 year veteran in Japan) and Lee as up-and-comers is the most interesting it's been in quite a while IMO. They'll always be afforded more opportunities and respect than comparable promotions just because of the name so it's not inconceivable that they could turn things around. They're already arguably doing better than Wrestle-1 despite losing the lion's share of the talent in the split.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 25, 2016

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
Since I'm posting about AJPW...

The big matches for the 5/25 Korakuen show are out

-. Shuji Ishikawa & Ryouji Sai vs. Naoya Nomura & Hikaru Sato
-. Kengo Mashimo vs. Jake Lee
-. Axe Bombers vs. AJ Rangers: Takao Omori, Isami Kodaka , Yuko Miyamoto & Kazuhiro Tamura vs. AJ Ranger White, AJ Ranger Red, AJ Ranger Blue & AJ Ranger Green
-. Special Singles Match: Zeus vs. Yuji Okabayashi
-. Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Daisuke Sekimoto

will Jun Akiyama dressing up as a Power Ranger be enough to do their first Korakuen sellout in forever?

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

Spermgod posted:

Since I'm posting about AJPW...

The big matches for the 5/25 Korakuen show are out

-. Shuji Ishikawa & Ryouji Sai vs. Naoya Nomura & Hikaru Sato
-. Kengo Mashimo vs. Jake Lee
-. Axe Bombers vs. AJ Rangers: Takao Omori, Isami Kodaka , Yuko Miyamoto & Kazuhiro Tamura vs. AJ Ranger White, AJ Ranger Red, AJ Ranger Blue & AJ Ranger Green
-. Special Singles Match: Zeus vs. Yuji Okabayashi
-. Triple Crown: Kento Miyahara (c) vs. Daisuke Sekimoto

will Jun Akiyama dressing up as a Power Ranger be enough to do their first Korakuen sellout in forever?

I hope the BJW faithfuls come in full force to make the show a success.

The Japanese fans have a soccer team mentality, where they go to support their own guys in other promotions shows. Some memorable shows include NJPW vs Z-1 Korakuen show from 2010 where there was a huge NJ contigent having chant battles with Z1 guys and Akiyama's 2011 Champion Carnival run where NOAH faithful came out in full force to support his conquest.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

so this happened

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 16:43 on May 4, 2016

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

Spermgod posted:

so this happened

so this has me wondering. AJPW/Big Japan have been paired up for a while now and W-1's CEO is DDT's Sanshiro Takagi. Are we starting to see some four-way alignment or is this more Mutoh being okay with Jun Akayama since the guy who bought him out of AJPW is gone?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

I hope DDT stays distinct but if they just made wrestle-1 and big japan brands under the all japan umbrella then that would be good i think

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

so this has me wondering. AJPW/Big Japan have been paired up for a while now and W-1's CEO is DDT's Sanshiro Takagi. Are we starting to see some four-way alignment or is this more Mutoh being okay with Jun Akayama since the guy who bought him out of AJPW is gone?

I don't think it's anything more than a mutually beneficial deal, probably because Akiyama needs something for Sumo Hall in November. And we're probably going even further down the road of 'every non-Bushiroad heavyweight promotion uses the same talent'.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
BAHU did a big bio/obit for Hayabusa http://fmwwrestling.us/Hayabusa.html

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

drat his death was morbid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I would expect nothing less from BAHU. Thanks for the link.