Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

I'll finish what you started...
...by adding some metal embellishments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It is pretend, it's like when you were little and would dress up like an armyman or cop.

On the day, the man who is going to pretend to be a half-cyborg is assisted with putting on props that are actually made of plastic, for budgetary and weight concerns. It is made to look very shiny so as to hopefully look like steel when he pretends in front of the camera. Crew members were paid to polish his shiny space samurai helmet to get all the fingerprint smudges off of it prior to rolling cameras.

At times, they would miss a spot and it would be very noticeable in the shots the film would capture. This, along with the fact that in some shots (when the film originally showed in 1977) you could clearly see David Prowse's (this is the man who was pretending) eyes through the red plastic lenses on the helmet, was something George Lucas wanted to go back and digitally fix later, when the technology became available.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Apr 18, 2016

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Equeen posted:

Isn't it also loosely based on samurai armor?

Yeah, that's the other main design influence. It started off as more of a German war helmet and then evolved to also resemble a Samurai helmet.

Sir Kodiak posted:

The helmet reads as plastic because it looks like plastic, which is consistent with the prop being made of plastic. Not that it matters, it's just weird to base an argument on it being metal when it obviously isn't.

By the same token, the Death Star's interior must be constructed almost entirely out of wood. Also, Luke Skywalker isn't actually a farmboy from the planet Tatooine; he's an actor from Earth named Mark Hamill.

Anyway, that's not even what my argument is based on. It's just further reinforcement for the obvious parallels that already exist between the two characters.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Cool. Look, in general, there's just not a strong visual similarity between Vader's helmet and Han Solo's face in the carbonyte. One is a contorted expression of frozen agony. One is a dead-eyed skull. I don't see how you get to one obviously being intrinsically tied to the other, which is what I was responding to.

Now, if you take about how they look overall, you get this obvious difference. So Cnut expressed his own argument in details like "metal" and "death mask." So, part of my response was to point out that Vader's helmet isn't a death mask, and doesn't look like metal. But the primary argument is that they just don't look that similar, and ya'll are the ones who have spent a dozen posts trying to prove that they're metal, as if that was central to my response.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Gonz posted:

Rey was left on Jakku by Dracula, because he felt she was unsafe around the Monster Squad.

My uncle works at Nintendo and assures me that this is the case.

Rey isn't a secret Skywalker, she's a secret Belmont.

Next movie she'll be fighting Space Vampires by summoning giant fire crosses while kickass music plays in the background.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

um actually I think you'll find that c3po isnt really a robot :smug:

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

when i was a kid c3po scared me more than darth vader

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Sir Kodiak posted:

Cool. Look, in general, there's just not a strong visual similarity between Vader's helmet and Han Solo's face in the carbonyte. One is a contorted expression of frozen agony. One is a dead-eyed skull. I don't see how you get to one obviously being intrinsically tied to the other, which is what I was responding to.

Now, if you take about how they look overall, you get this obvious difference. So Cnut expressed his own argument in details like "metal" and "death mask." So, part of my response was to point out that Vader's helmet isn't a death mask, and doesn't look like metal. But the primary argument is that they just don't look that similar, and ya'll are the ones who have spent a dozen posts trying to prove that they're metal, as if that was central to my response.

Have you heard of death masks, where they take a mould of your face when you die for posterity. Han solo is dead, for all intents and purposes. His frozen prison is his death mask.

Anakin dies, for all intents and purposes, when he becomes Darth Vader. His metal armor is his death mask.

I forget why connecting these two things was interesting in the first place though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

SHISHKABOB posted:

Have you heard of death masks, where they take a mould of your face when you die for posterity. Han solo is dead, for all intents and purposes. His frozen prison is his death mask.

Anakin dies, for all intents and purposes, when he becomes Darth Vader. His metal armor is his death mask.

Yeah, I have heard of death masks, which is why I know they don't look like a bare skull. Anakin dies and is reborn as Vader, an avatar of death, with a skull for a face. This is very different imagery than Han in the carbonyte.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

SHISHKABOB posted:

I forget why connecting these two things was interesting in the first place though.
It wasn't really.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Sir Kodiak posted:

Now, if you take about how they look overall, you get this obvious difference. So Cnut expressed his own arguments in details like "metal" and "death mask." So, part of my response was to point out that Vader's helmet isn't a death mask, and doesn't look like metal. But the primary argument is that they just don't look that similar, and ya'll are the ones who have spent a dozen posts trying to prove that they're metal, as if that was central to my response.

Both of them are frozen faces of torment and death. The visual similarity isn't the point except inasmuch as they both evoke those concepts.

Further parallels can be found in how they're both raised up on rectangular slabs in the center of circular, steam-filled chambers in the wake of their horrific transformations:

Also, an emphasis is placed on both characters needing to learn to see again with their own eyes after their respective rebirths:

quote:

Boushh's ugly helmet leans close to Han's face listening for the breath
of life. Nothing. He waits. Han's eyes pop open with a start and he
begins coughing. The bounty hunter steadies the staggering newborn.

BOUSHH
Just relax for a moment. You're free of the carbonite.

Han touches his face with his hand and moans.

BOUSHH
Shhh. You have hibernation sickness.

HAN
I can't see.

BOUSHH
Your eyesight will return in time.

quote:

HAN
I think my eyes are getting better. Instead of a big dark blur, I see a
big light blur.

quote:

VADER (a whisper)
Luke, help me take this mask off.

LURE
But you'll die.

VADER
Nothing can stop that now. Just for once... let me look on you with my
own eyes.

Slowly, hesitantly, Luke removes the mask from his father's face. There
beneath the scars is an elderly man. His eyes do not focus. But the
dying man smiles at the sight before him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Cnut the Great posted:

Yeah, that's the other main design influence. It started off as more of a German war helmet and then evolved to also resemble a Samurai helmet.

By the same token, the Death Star's interior must be constructed almost entirely out of wood. Also, Luke Skywalker isn't actually a farmboy from the planet Tatooine; he's an actor from Earth named Mark Hamill.

Anyway, that's not even what my argument is based on. It's just further reinforcement for the obvious parallels that already exist between the two characters.

-Cover your ears kids-

Vader's name is basically Dark Father, and his helmet is shaped like the head of a penis.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

MonsieurChoc posted:

Rey isn't a secret Skywalker, she's a secret Belmont.

Next movie she'll be fighting Space Vampires by summoning giant fire crosses while kickass music plays in the background.

I'm looking forward to her confrontation with Snoke.

"Die, monster! You don't belong in this galaxy!"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'm looking forward to her confrontation with Snoke.

"Die, monster! You don't belong in this galaxy!"

It was not by my hand hand I am once again given flesh. It was the will of Star Wars Fans who wished to pay me tribute.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Well Manicured Man posted:

No, you've got it backwards. They made the helmet super shiny so that Palpatine hopefully wouldn't notice they cut corners.

Ooooh yeah.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

1 A New Hope
2 The Empire Strikes Back
3 Phantom Menace
4 The Force Awakens
5 Battle for Endor
6 Return of the Jedi
7 Revenge of the Sith
8 Ewok Adventure
9 Attack of the Clones
10 Holiday Special
11 The Clone Wars

My order. Largely influenced by nostalgia.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Empire
A New Hope
Force Awakens
Return of the Jedi

Revenge of the sith

Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wtf was that bad about aotc? Like have you even watched it recently without going in with your mind closed? It's got a giant laser battle and yoda has a lightsaber fight.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

SHISHKABOB posted:

Wtf was that bad about aotc? Like have you even watched it recently without going in with your mind closed? It's got a giant laser battle and yoda has a lightsaber fight.

Don't forget the arena/sex scene. AOTC is awesome.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I maintained that AoTC was the weakest of the prequels for a long time, but after getting the blu-rays and revisiting the full trilogy for the first time in several years, I've softened on it a lot. Obi-Wan's detective plotline is fun, Kamino is the coolest and most alien seeming set design of the prequels, and Dexter Jettser scene is actually kind of a breath of fresh air. He's the one dude in the Star Wars universe who has a real job, and seems to enjoy life.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

The romance between Anakin and Padme is pretty terrible and it takes up large chunks of the movie.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

The best part of Attacks of the Clone is comparing what Obi-Wan says to Anakin and what he does throughout the movie.

He breaks all of his rules and ignores his own advice.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

The best part of Attacks of the Clone is comparing what Obi-Wan says to Anakin and what he does throughout the movie.

He breaks all of his rules and ignores his own advice.

If Obi-Wan was my mentor, I might be inclined to think the Jedi were full of poo poo.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

SHISHKABOB posted:

"Not my Anakin!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Attack of the Clones is alternately the most flawed and most interesting of the prequels.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

I think I've been accused of being no-fun in this thread, to that I say if you can't appreciate this freakshow, then it is I that feel bad for you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yoda light saber fight is the worst thing. It and looks icky and digital.

Also Anakin the creepy sociopath.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't find flaws interesting also tbh.

EDIT: As a failure I'm interested in the flaws that fill AOTC. But not in a way that makes it "secretly good" gently caress that noise yo.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 18, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Most people like Attack of the Clones. As you can see, it is getting a lot of love in this thread.

You are attempting to argue that it is "secretly bad".

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

CelticPredator posted:

I don't find flaws interesting also tbh.

EDIT: As a failure I'm interested in the flaws that fill AOTC. But not in a way that makes it "secretly good" gently caress that noise yo.

What are those flaws again? I forgot

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Clones to me is probably the most over-the-top fun of all the prequels. I think Sith is a better film in many respects, but despite the romance and a couple of little things Clones is just the most fun, if that makes any sense.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Those handful of faux-handheld shots during the battle of Geonosis always bothered the poo poo out of me just because they're so jarring, as Star Wars never utilized anything like that before or since as far as I can remember.

Edit: extremely lovely video, around 1:50 and 4:40. A similar effect is also used on Padme from above when she's stuck in a big pot on the assembly line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uS020PHEOMQ&t=280s

General Dog fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Apr 18, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

UmOk posted:

What are those flaws again? I forgot

No you didn't.

I mean, I have no ill will towards anyone that likes Clones. That's cool.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

The romance between Anakin and Padme is pretty terrible and it takes up large chunks of the movie.

Yeah that's true, I can't say I enjoy those parts. Though it gave us that montage of tatooine which is cool.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

It looks icky

This is the entire depth of your analysis.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

cargohills posted:

This is the entire depth of your analysis.

wrong the entire depth of his analysis is

CelticPredator posted:

It looks digital.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Like it would've mattered what I said lol.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

If you'd maybe consider going beyond "lol CGI is icky!!" then maybe we'd treat you like you weren't a child.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️
Fairly certain the Stormtrooper armor is called "plastoid".

I say this with fond recollection of my Star Wars CCG game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

cargohills posted:

If you'd maybe consider going beyond "lol CGI is icky!!" then maybe we'd treat you like you weren't a child.

Haha.

• Locked thread