Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
an informal vote, it will not be counted for any candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Serrath posted:

Neat, my first chance to vote in a federal election since citizenship. Will the electoral commission interpret me drawing an enormous dick next to a candidate's name as an endorsement or a dis-endorsement?

E: possibly irrelevant but Canada removed my ability to vote at the last election when they decided people living overseas didn't have sufficient impact to their lives attached to the outcome of the election to be allowed to take part. Which is too bad, putting a dick next to Trudeau's name would have fulfilled a dream of mine

Ooh, I remember this coming up in a thread around last election! Someone drew dicks of varying sizes in the boxes,they weren't sure how to count it since it clearly had process to it; dick size was clearly related to preference somehow.

It was ultimately rendered informal because they couldn't figure out if a bigger dick meant the voter liked them more or less.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Cleretic posted:

Ooh, I remember this coming up in a thread around last election! Someone drew dicks of varying sizes in the boxes,they weren't sure how to count it since it clearly had process to it; dick size was clearly related to preference somehow.

It was ultimately rendered informal because they couldn't figure out if a bigger dick meant the voter liked them more or less.

A smaller dick could mean a 1 with a larger dick meaning a 2 and so on.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Stephen Conroy declared nuclear war on the GG:

quote:

There is no pretence this is a normal process, a normal process that has gone on. You just had to look around the chamber today. Where were the High Court justices? Where were the heads of our military? Where were the hats of our diplomatic community? All told: “Don’t come today,” because it is a political stunt, it is not a real opening of the parliament. And, in fact, not just: “Don’t come. Please don’t come.”

We don’t want to pretend to the Australian public that this is a real proroguing of the parliament for the purposes with which its had been used traditionally.

This is an absolute affront. We’ve seen today a governor-general overturn the will of this chamber, a democratically elected chamber.

That’s what we have seen – a tawdry political stunt, and the governor-general has demeaned his office.

A strong governor-general would never have agreed to this.

If the Queen had been asked to interfere in the British parliament in this way, there is no way on this earth this would have happened!

He got warned for that, so he responded:

quote:

Since 1961, Mr President, the parliament has only been prorogued four times, under extraordinary circumstances and never, never, to set the scene for an election. Never to have a manipulation of politics. Never to have a manipulation of politics in this way.

Never in modern history has a government prorogued a parliament to obtain a political advantage and that is what this government has done. They have prorogued the parliament to obtain a political advantage, and there is no other way.

In fact, the government have boasted about how they have used the proroguing of parliament to give themselves a political advantage.

Even the newspapers are full of it. They have boasted about their clever political manipulation of the parliament by proroguing it. That is without question.

So if they are called out on it, Mr President, it’s fair debate.

It’s fair debate.

And then the kicker:

quote:

We believe the ABCC’s powers are extreme, undemocratic and compromise civil liberties. Workers in the building and construction industry – workers deserve better than this.

Mr Turnbull says “You’ve got to live within your means.”

I would love to live within Mr Turnbull’s means.

BOOM HEADSHOT :vince:

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

The last thing we want is a strong Governor General.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Bill Shorten is our next Prime Minister.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Its just lovely here this time of year.

quote:

Where were the hats of our diplomatic community? 

On the heads of our diplomats?

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

I've just moved to Darling Point in Sydney. While it's a bit sad that I'm now living in an electorate that votes 65% Liberal on first preference (I actually thought it would be higher!), I will take great joy at putting Turnbull at the bottom of my preferences.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/abcgoldcoast/status/721835761645912066

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
If you put a legend on the ballot describing whether larger dicks are for higher or lower preferences it should be formal.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Anidav posted:

Isn't this like the 3rd Taiwanese slave house found on the southside this year?

What the gently caress?

It seems likely that the STOP THE BOATS! refocusing of DIBP and Customs has meant that the other stuff these guys are support to enforce is flying under the radar because of a lack of enforcement resources. It is possible that the wheels will come off this at some point.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Anidav posted:

Nah

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

It seems likely that the STOP THE BOATS! refocusing of DIBP and Customs has meant that the other stuff these guys are support to enforce is flying under the radar because of a lack of enforcement resources. It is possible that the wheels will come off this at some point.
This is assuming that the power brokers at Rawr! Border Farce Rawr! think that slavery (especially sex slavery) is worth investigating. If a casual observer hadn't already decided the wheels were off our sled of a policy on immigration I don't think this stuff is going to be a game changer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anidav posted:

Death is Shorten?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

Cartoon posted:

This is assuming that the power brokers at Rawr! Border Farce Rawr! think that slavery (especially sex slavery) is worth investigating. If a casual observer hadn't already decided the wheels were off our sled of a policy on immigration I don't think this stuff is going to be a game changer.

They don't, that's the issue - everyone has been moved to boats. So by the 'wheels come off' I meant 'lack of enforcement becomes a damaging scandal.' I probably have more hope that it will than you do, it requires a bunch more busts and someone running a serious expose piece about it terrible immigration enforcement which is possible if not plausible.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Yeah, Chinese Social Media is saying to avoid Sunnybank Carparks at night because most of these freed women were saying they were taken from carparks in Runcorn/Sunnybank at night. Taiwanese Mafia. Interesting development for a lovely town like Brisbane.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Death is Shorten?

I believe so.

This trend has been going for many months now with no sign of reversing. It's literally looking like Queensland Election 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

Serrath
Mar 17, 2005

I have nothing of value to contribute
Ham Wrangler

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

If you put a legend on the ballot describing whether larger dicks are for higher or lower preferences it should be formal.

This is helpful, thanks. You've outlined my voting strategy for this year

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Anidav posted:

Yeah, Chinese Social Media is saying to avoid Sunnybank Carparks at night because most of these freed women were saying they were taken from carparks in Runcorn/Sunnybank at night. Taiwanese Mafia. Interesting development for a lovely town like Brisbane.

Almost as though going after biker groups left the real criminals alone to do what they like.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

They're only abducting Chinese people, so who cares? If they started going after nice blonde girls you'd see every Asian in Queensland locked up by the end of the week.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Anidav posted:

. It's literally looking like Queensland Election 2: Revenge of the Fallen.

Nah

This is a UK in 2015 situation

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Malcolm Turnbull is no David Cameron and there's no Scottish Party roaming around taking ALP seats in the north.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

Malcolm Turnbull is much smarter than Dave

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Shorten has been careful not to be photographed with a bacon sandwich too.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

If anything there's a SA party taking Liberal Seats.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

They don't, that's the issue - everyone has been moved to boats. So by the 'wheels come off' I meant 'lack of enforcement becomes a damaging scandal.' I probably have more hope that it will than you do, it requires a bunch more busts and someone running a serious expose piece about it terrible immigration enforcement which is possible if not plausible.
How many sex slave rackets will it take? It's clearly more than one.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-08-27/most-australias-alleged-sex-slavery-victims-left-in-'limbo'/6714974

quote:

Human trafficking: Most of Australia's alleged sex slavery victims left without government support By Katri Uibu Updated 27 Aug 2015, 6:37am

:siren:RELATED STORY: Sex slavery victims face brutal reprisals for talking to police:siren:

More than half of alleged foreign sex slavery victims in Australia are left without government support due to legislation that gives the Australian Federal Police (AFP) the authority to exclude suspected victims from the aid program.

In order to be entitled to the Department of Social Services (DSS)-funded Red Cross program that offers medical and psychological aid, accommodation, living allowance and English language classes, the victim has to be both willing and able to make a contribution to the prosecution process. Yesterday the ABC reported claims that the requirement puts victims' lives at risk due to the danger of reprisals from "ruthless" people-trafficking syndicates. But anti-human trafficking organisations are concerned that alleged victims who are willing to endanger their lives are often pushed off the Government's Support for Trafficked People Program because the police may not assess them as an "appropriate witness".

Kathleen Maltzahn, founding director of Project Respect, which supports trafficking victims, said she had worked with women who had undoubtedly been trafficked but did not qualify as an "appropriate witness" in the eyes of law. Women who have experienced tremendously serious violence in this country can spend years in limbo. "If the woman doesn't know the proper names of who trafficked her, if she doesn't know the address of the brothel, can't remember dates, if she's confused about what happened [and] when — partly because of trauma — that might mean that with the best will in the world she might not be a credible witness in court," she said. "You can talk to women who don't even know what suburb they've been held in and, indeed, I've spoken to women who haven't always been sure what states they've been in. So they often can't be witnesses." Ms Maltzahn said these women were then left to fend for themselves in the same country where they had been subjected to severe sexual violence. "Women who have experienced tremendously serious violence in this country can spend years in limbo which really doesn't aid their recovery," she said. "It's hard to believe that we can't afford as a country to really allow women to recover from this very serious violence ... given that violence was perpetrated in this country."

46 out 88 women left support program in last financial year

The Coalition Against Trafficking in Women in Australia says the laws put unrealistic expectations on the alleged victims.

"The assumption that they can just lay out for you the whole organised crime on a platter to explain how they were trafficked — we know that that's unlikely, extremely unlikely," the Coalition's Meagan Tyler said.

Sex slavery victims' lives endangered by laws

Foreign victims of sexual exploitation in Australian brothels are being put in danger by laws which make access to government support services conditional on speaking to police. ver half of the alleged victims referred to the police are falling through the cracks, statistics provided to the ABC by the DSS and Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) show. In the 2014-2015 financial year, out of 88 people on the Support Program, 46 left. The same year, of the 38 new clients who entered the program, 20 were exited, the DSS spokesperson said. The DIBP spokesperson said eight permanent Referred Stay visas were granted to victims who were seen as being in danger when they return to their country of origin. However, only half of those visas went to the victims and the other half to their dependents. Nine victims were granted Criminal Justice Stay visas and 15 Bridging F visas to cover the police assessment period were given.

Law asks victims to 'prove themselves'

Lena Sivasailam-Pichler from Project Respect visits about 90 legal brothels in the Melbourne area. Her work involves knocking on brothel doors, counting on being allowed entry so she can win women's trust and assist them in escaping slavery.
She said even when the organisation did succeed in referring the victims to the police, it was not always clear why they were exited from the program. "Last year we had eight women who were on a Support Program — all of them were exited from it. And we really don't know why they were exited from it," she said. Ms Tyler said a system that was "forcing victims into cooperating" was suspicious of any potential victim. "I think there are concerns in the current climate, certainly, that victims of trafficking need to prove themselves somehow," she said. "I think that seems to be where it comes from in terms of the national narrative of immigration — as horrendous as it is in this country — [it] seems to distrust people who have come from anywhere else." Though the Support Program is only funded to provide support for victims who fit the eligibility criteria for the government aid, a spokesperson for the Attorney-General's Department said there were "other appropriate support frameworks and legal and migration options, if required".

Australian Catholic Religious Against Trafficking in Humans (ACRATH) executive director Christine Carolan, who works with human trafficking victims, said while this was the case, the 20-day transition period granted to find alternative means of support was "very difficult". "That's a very tricky point of movement for somebody to go from the Red Cross program where they're given good support, quality support, into a space where they have to fend for themselves," she said. The AFP and Australian Crime Commission declined the request to answer any specific questions, saying they would refer the ABC to the Attorney-General's Department.

How the support system works

The Assessment and Intensive Support Stream sees that all trafficked people referred by the AFP to the Support for Trafficked People Program are eligible to receive 45-day support, regardless of whether they are willing or able to assist with the investigation. If the person does not have a valid visa, they are granted Bridging F visa to cover that period. The Extended Intensive Support Stream provides access to a further 45-day support for trafficked people who are willing but not able to assist with the investigation. The Justice Support Stream provides support for trafficked people until the investigation and prosecution process is finalised. Their stay in Australia throughout that period is covered with Criminal Justice Stay visa.
The Temporary Trial Support Stream provides support for trafficked people giving evidence pertaining to a human trafficking or slavery-related prosecution. A person who has made a contribution to an investigation or prosecution process may be eligible for a Referred Stay (permanent) visa.
So give me a number here. Is it ten? One hundred? Because even though we can collect and give all your metadata to the RSPCA, if they ask, nobody seems to be exactly giving poo poo one here.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Wow.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

oops.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Democrats sweep to victory in a whisper-quiet coup.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Many pages ago but that guy saying richism was evil and the 1% were being oppressed

Don Watkins is an American author, columnist and professional speaker, who currently serves as a fellow at the Ayn Rand Institute, a non-profit organization in Irvine, California, that promotes the novels of Ayn Rand and her philosophy of Objectivism.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
So what the gently caress happened here?

quote:

Governor-General Sir Peter Cosgrove has apologised to Deputy Opposition Leader Tanya Plibersek after being accused of snubbing her in an awkward handshake moment.

Present in the Senate to open the special sitting of Parliament, Sir Peter shook the hands of Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull, Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce, Speaker Tony Smith and Opposition Leader Bill Shorten but denied Mr Joyce's opposition counterpart the opportunity after she extended her hand.

The Queen's representative had just delivered a speech outlining why Parliament had returned, "to give full and timely consideration to two important parcels of legislation", during which Labor MPs had heckled.

Fairfax Media understands the Governor-General has now called Ms Plibersek to apologise, explaining it wasn't intentional and he didn't see her hand.

Following the televised "blanking", Ms Plibersek can be seen amused and shrugging in puzzlement as the opposition benches guffaw.

She has said no apology was necessary and that "the whole thing is a storm in a teacup".

After the incident, one Labor backbencher was heard to heckle sarcastically, "you've been told, Tanya, know your place". Another appears to jeer "that says something".

Protocol - advised by the Senate - dictated the Governor-General greet only the prime minister, the opposition leader and the speaker.

Mr Joyce's handshake was not mandated by these guideliness but Sir Peter noticed his outstretched hand and accepted it.

The special parliamentary session will see the government's hallmark industrial relations legislation either pass or fail, the latter triggering a double dissolution election on July 2.

After the Governor-General's address, Labor frontbencher Stephen Conroy took the unusual step of criticising the person filling the vice-regal position, labelling Sir Peter a "disgrace" for recalling Parliament at the government's request to examine the ABCC. Mr Turnbull has threatened a double dissolution election if the legislation to reintroduce the building industry watchdog is not passed.

"That's what we have seen, a tawdry political stunt and the Governor-General has demeaned his office," he said.

"A strong governor-general would never have agreed to this."

Senator Conroy said the ghost of Sir John Kerr - the governor-general who dismissed the Whitlam government - "reached out from the grave to interfere in a democratically elected Senate decision".

"What we saw is a blight on our democracy today. We've seen a democratically elected Senate decision overturned by the Queen's representative," he said.

Is Plibersek not liked in the ALP or are they just taking the piss?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

gay picnic defence posted:

Based on the way the article's worded, I would assume the latter.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Seems pretty obvious to me? They're just interpreting the actions meaning aloud. :shrug:

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

The GG didn't see her outstretch her hand. Social media went nuts at the "snub", so the GG has rung her to apologise. It's a complete non story.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Lid posted:

Ayn Rand Institute, a non-profit organization

Words I never thought I would see in that order.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

SBS News posted:

http://www.sbs.com.au/topics/sexuality/article/2016/04/18/telstra-backflips-same-sex-marriage-backflip
Telstra has reversed its decision to pull out of a corporate campaign for same-sex marriage in Australia following a week of community anger and boycott threats.

Telstra confirmed the latest change in position to SBS, with CEO Andy Penn acknowledging the significant debate and commentary regarding the company's initial decision.

"Last week we advised that out of respect for the individual our view had been that we would not add further to the debate on marriage equality ahead of a plebiscite or parliamentary debate. It is clear that rather than Telstra stepping back we should in fact step forward and support our view for marriage equality and so that is what we will do," Penn said.

"By renewing our active position, we acknowledge that we are at equal risk of inflaming a new debate but it is the right thing to do. It also remains very important that we continue to recognise and respect the right of the individual to hold their own view on this issue."

Last week LGBTQI business organisations in three states condemned Telstra for its earlier decision and raised concerns about the well-being of LGBTQI Telstra staff.

The Australian newspaper first reported last week that Telstra had retreated from the public campaign after the Catholic Church threatened a boycott of companies involved.

The Catholic Church also contacted the office of SBS managing director Michael Ebeid and urged him to abandon his public support for same-sex marriage in a letter received last year. It also contacted Qantas CEO Alan Joyce, according to Fairfax Media.

Both men are among Australia’s most prominent gay chief executives.

Telstra's just made both sides of the ME debate mad now.

Negligent
Aug 20, 2013

U turn twice and it's an O turn

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Telstra sucks anyway.

MonoAus
Nov 5, 2012

The Narrator posted:

The Catholic Church also contacted the office of SBS managing director Michael Ebeid and urged him to abandon his public support for same-sex marriage in a letter received last year. It also contacted Qantas CEO Alan Joyce, according to Fairfax Media.

Both men are among Australia’s most prominent gay chief executives.

This part was pretty funny though.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vt4WIGYXGg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010