Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

MrLonghair posted:

What's everyone's fave katana, or which katana is pushing peoples poo poo in the most in PvP?

Bloodlust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Would it be reasonable/fun to do a Herald start and do some sort of str/dex/faith build? Like, I don't understand how miracles work but it seems cool.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the face starts off blackened out, then he stands up and oh look I guess giants just wear hoods

Paul Zuvella posted:

While we're on the topic, Yohrim is a stupid loving bossfight, and that's some dumb bullshit teleporting me to a random rear end place to fight another thing right after.

yhorm is incredibly, stupendously easy and I'm sorry you didn't use the storm ruler on him or complete siegward's quest line

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
How much vigor did ya'll have when you fought Storm King? I'm at 20 and it feels fine most of the time but the fact that every attack from this boss OHKOs or two shots is brutal as hell and makes me wonder if I'm doing it to early.

Manatee Cannon posted:

the face starts off blackened out, then he stands up and oh look I guess giants just wear hoods

The trees in DS2 that are dead giants have gaping holes for faces still. Are you saying their hoods persist beyond death?

quote:

yhorm is incredibly, stupendously easy and I'm sorry you didn't use the storm ruler on him or complete siegward's quest line

He's easy but disappointing as hell because its a stupid gimmick fight instead of a real one. To add insult, its a gimmick fight that doesn't even manage to be half as cool as the fight its copying from Demon's Souls.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Manatee Cannon posted:

I used the Storn Ruler on him, obviously. Still and incredibly boring waste of a bossfight.

Orv
May 4, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

What's everyone's fave katana, or which katana is pushing peoples poo poo in the most in PvP?

If you can land the weapon art of the Black Blade on someones face it does a silly amount of damage. Just you know, you'll never land it unless they're stupid.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Appoda posted:

The thing is, some people put a whole lot more time into progressing a level than others, and it can be crushingly frustrating for new/inexperienced players to have to redo it all over again, particularly in past games. Right now, it's pretty hardcore in the other direction -- hosts have a lot of advantages, so they can get past invaders half the time even if they suck, but that may change as the playerbase shrinks and we end up with a situation similar to DS1 and DS2.

I don't think From ever intended to emphasize invasions to the degree the community has taken it, which is probably why it's been steered so heavily in favor of the host. For 95% of the players, sitting around and popping the red eye for hours and hours simply isn't how they play the game. I think PVP is fun, but only in these early periods in which no one really knows what they're doing, so there's not yet a "meta" to turn the online of this game into a shitshow.

I mean, bonfires and shortcuts are so prevalent that I'm struggling to think of any areas except maybe the Cathedral and Archives where getting invaded and killed would require more than 5 minutes of backtracking. Hell, in most areas you can sprint from one bonfire to the next in like literally 20 seconds.

Invasions are cool because it's something no other games really do in the same way. The whole "twinking" thing has always, imo, been blown out of proportion. I've played every game in the series now and there really was never some huge epidemic of assholes invading with maxed out gear. Yeah it happened now and then, but the vast majority of invasions were someone within a fair level / equipment range.

I dunno, I've always felt like for the most part, this series' fans like to hype up how brutal and hardcore it is, while taking every possible measure to make the games as easy as possible by only going online to summon for bosses, or rolling around with a permanent army of phantoms while they clear areas, etc. (I know this sounds like a "heh, casuals" post). The amount of whining over "twinks" ruining the game or whatever is just silly, but they've basically been trying to make PvP less and less popular with each game, it feels like. At this point the number of advantages hosts have is kinda ridiculous and you either have to be very lucky or very, very good to win invasions beyond the beginning of the game. 2 or 3v1 fights as a rule, easy giant seeds, double estus for the host plus a 40% hp debuff for invaders, and the ability to just run off and heal with impunity just means that this game's PvP is probably going to be totally dead pretty soon.

I wouldn't even really mind that much if they had some kind of arenas implemented for people that just want to fight other players, or if all the covenants actually worked so that people could choose to get involved with PvP or not. It just seems like the solution is "pay PvP lip service but make it so lovely that nobody actually wants to do it anymore," which is sad.

Harrower
Nov 30, 2002
Has anyone bothered to do a write up on which spell casting implements are the best in certain situations? I've upgraded a bunch to +9/+4 depending on their material requirements, and the lovely sorcerer staff I started with outperforms them all at 45 int.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I don't know why redbros didn't get an arena. In dark souls 2 it was cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I agree with all of that, which is a shame. As someone whose interest in the series is primarily mechanical, with the story and lore stuff being a cool secondary layer (a point that understandably sets me in the minority), PvP has always been one of the coolest aspects of the multiplayer and this entry makes it almost pointless.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Internet Kraken posted:

Yohrm has to be different from DS2 giants. I mean, I originally thought he was one, but when you get his cinders its a big human skull. So obviously he can't be the same giant...unless some of them have human faces while others don't. Also the lore surrounding the profane capital really makes him sound like the giant lord from DS2 along with everything about his design except the human face. Its confusing as gently caress.

I thought that the Giant Lord from DS2 was defeated and trapped within the FoFG (by you), and then was killed as the Last Giant

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

GreyPowerVan posted:

Yeah I don't know why redbros didn't get an arena. In dark souls 2 it was cool.

You lay the summon sign down at the pontiff bonfire. Boom there's your arena.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

How much vigor did ya'll have when you fought Storm King? I'm at 20 and it feels fine most of the time but the fact that every attack from this boss OHKOs or two shots is brutal as hell and makes me wonder if I'm doing it to early.

The trees in DS2 that are dead giants have gaping holes for faces still. Are you saying their hoods persist beyond death?

He's easy but disappointing as hell because its a stupid gimmick fight instead of a real one. To add insult, its a gimmick fight that doesn't even manage to be half as cool as the fight its copying from Demon's Souls.

the whole point of having him start with the black hole and then standing up to show you his face is to point out that they don't have gaping chasms in their head. and literally every other person that is dead and still wearing their same clothes is no different. I mean gently caress, andre from dark souls loving 1 is somehow still alive, so having a really durable hood shouldn't break immersion for anyone. also I agree that yhorm's no storm ruler, but at least it allowed for the return of the storm ruler greatsword because that thing is cool as hell

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What a lot of people seem to completely ignore when defending the PvP of these games is lag. It must be different for different regions, because I've had approximately a dozen playable PvP matchups in a combined ~600 hours. Invasions and PvP in general is something I feel like would be cool, if I wasn't being backstabbed from a room away or hitting the enemy fifteen times without them taking damage. The few fights I've had in this game hasn't been super bad, but it was still a whole lot of getting hit by attacks several meters away.

But of course, whenever I voice my dissatisfaction with PvP everyone's quick to jump in and tell me to "play a different game then lol". Not a great experience with Souls PvP, in other words.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

BillmasterCozb posted:

I thought that the Giant Lord from DS2 was defeated and trapped within the FoFG (by you), and then was killed as the Last Giant

He was, but there was the implication that he was a lord of cinder, which is why you needed to kill him to reach the Throne of Want. So killing him wouldn't matter since the plot of this game is that many of the old lords of cinder have risen from their graves.

The thing that seemed to further that implication to me is that the Profaned Capital appears to be a city that was destroyed by children of the abyss. We know from DS2 that when Vendrick traveled to the Giant's land, he came back with Nashandra. So he could of used Nashandra and her abyssal siblings to destroy the home of the giants, and Yohrm being their leader got pissed and came over the sea to kick his rear end. But then he has a human face and the giants in DS2 don't but then you never see the faces of other giants and gah this is confusing

Manatee Cannon posted:

the whole point of having him start with the black hole and then standing up to show you his face is to point out that they don't have gaping chasms in their head. and literally every other person that is dead and still wearing their same clothes is no different.

So they wear hoods with the same texture as their exposed skin and these hoods carry over into death when they turn into trees. I'm having trouble buying this.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Your Computer posted:

What a lot of people seem to completely ignore when defending the PvP of these games is lag. It must be different for different regions, because I've had approximately a dozen playable PvP matchups in a combined ~600 hours. Invasions and PvP in general is something I feel like would be cool, if I wasn't being backstabbed from a room away or hitting the enemy fifteen times without them taking damage. The few fights I've had in this game hasn't been super bad, but it was still a whole lot of getting hit by attacks several meters away.

But of course, whenever I voice my dissatisfaction with PvP everyone's quick to jump in and tell me to "play a different game then lol". Not a great experience with Souls PvP, in other words.

The issue is that this is all anecdotal on one end, but it's hard to deny that it's funky. I get one laggy shitfest of a PvP fight for every five I do in all of the games, it's a pretty reliable ratio for me. But every time it is bad, it's almost inexcusably terrible, and I'll never blame anyone for not being interested, especially if your ratio of laggy matches to decent ones is way worse.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Yohrm has to be different from DS2 giants. I mean, I originally thought he was one, but when you get his cinders its a big human skull. So obviously he can't be the same giant...unless some of them have human faces while others don't. Also the lore surrounding the profane capital really makes him sound like the giant lord from DS2 along with everything about his design except the human face. Its confusing as gently caress.

The butthole giants have actual faces, probably.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
There is literally a DS2 giant tree in the game, and it's in the hub area. I too thought that Yhorm was a DS2 Giant. Literally everybody did when they saw the trailers. He's not, that's fine.

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Internet Kraken posted:

I had 30, and you probably want to be at the point where (most of) his attacks don't one-shot you. Even with 30 I think almost all of his attacks in phase 2 would two-shot me, but not getting one shotted by things that aren't the spear-impale thing makes it feel less bad.

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Is anyone else disappointed that the dragon torso stone gives absolutely no armor and is effectively playing naked? Given how important armor actually is this go around, that's pretty devastating. I was hoping the upgraded torso stone would have some actual armor to it but nope. At least sacrificing a helm for the dragon head stone isn't too bad.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Sooo I don't know how much I'm crippling myself but I'm truckin' on along with my 10str/10dex jack of all trades build. Started as a naked boy and continuing along in that tradition with masters gear/rags. Continuing to upgrade my Raw Astora Sword (10/10 reqs) and dump pretty much all of my other points into endurance/health/attunement/faith and supplementing my lack of str/dex with pyromancies and miracles. It's been a ton of fun so far.

You know, come to think of it, I don't think I've ever played a From game without just sticking to an early weapon throughout the entire game. To hell with experimentation. I used the cane throughout almost all of Bloodborne :getin:

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 18, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Yhorm having a face/human skull might just be a retcon, I guess? That's possible, right?
e: oh, the tree. Hmm.

Orv posted:

The issue is that this is all anecdotal on one end, but it's hard to deny that it's funky. I get one laggy shitfest of a PvP fight for every five I do in all of the games, it's a pretty reliable ratio for me. But every time it is bad, it's almost inexcusably terrible, and I'll never blame anyone for not being interested, especially if your ratio of laggy matches to decent ones is way worse.

It's anecdotal as heck, but I think it's a shame that everyone has such a hard time believing that some people who live in other places than the US might have worse PvP matchups. If the PvP system is P2P and I connect with someone on the other side of the globe, then surely it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that such a connection might be... poo poo?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Obligatum VII posted:

Is anyone else disappointed that the dragon torso stone gives absolutely no armor and is effectively playing naked? Given how important armor actually is this go around, that's pretty devastating. I was hoping the upgraded torso stone would have some actual armor to it but nope. At least sacrificing a helm for the dragon head stone isn't too bad.

yeah i found it and did a few invasions as a dragon dude for shits and giggles but haha gently caress not having armor actually really sucks

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I'm just assuming there are straight up 2 types of giants, Gwyn and Yorhm ones and Giant Lord ones. Alternately, since we know that giants turn to trees and humans also now turn to trees as they sprout with darkness, its possible that the giants with holes for faces are the same as Gwyn/Yorhm but tainted by the darkness or hollow

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Internet Kraken posted:

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

Obligatum VII posted:

Armor is important? :confused: gently caress that, naked all the way

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Obligatum VII posted:

Yeah, this is even more devastating if you're an idiot like me that likes wearing the Prisoner's Chain :shepicide:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Internet Kraken posted:

It's not too confusing. The northern giants seem to have something kind of special going on, whereas Yhorm seems like a combination of those types of giants and the primeval Anor Londo giants. Bear in mind as well, the power of his souls could have changed his physical appearance. Maybe he made a human face for himself so that humans would trust him more?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Your Computer posted:

It's anecdotal as heck, but I think it's a shame that everyone has such a hard time believing that some people who live in other places than the US might have worse PvP matchups. If the PvP system is P2P and I connect with someone on the other side of the globe, then surely it wouldn't be a stretch to believe that such a connection might be... poo poo?

That's what I'm saying, or trying to, is that I absolutely believe you, but I don't necessarily know what to tell you either. It's something we can't solve on our end without something stupid like moving across the world for a better mutliplayer experience, so... I'm sorry?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I've yet to have an invasion where the other guy hasn't hit me from halfway across a room by swinging his sword at thin air. I also ruitinely have coop summons fail. maybe the host just died or something, but it's impossible to tell. also one time I moved my summon sign twice, then the game wouldn't let me drop one at all until I warped back to firelink and came back. that was weird

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Gologle posted:

There is literally a DS2 giant tree in the game, and it's in the hub area. I too thought that Yhorm was a DS2 Giant. Literally everybody did when they saw the trailers. He's not, that's fine.

the DS2 tree next to the Shrine seems kinda out of place. The DS2 references aren't really common unless my memory of DS2 has just faded completely. Forossa, the Drang Knight set, Wolnir, the giant tree, the blind lady merchant, and that's it? Just seems random that there's a single solitary dead-giant-tree just chillin there.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Holy crap (boss spoiler) Pontiff Sulyvahn is absolutely brutal. I'm about 3 for 10 on jolly cooperation against him so far :stare:

Orv
May 4, 2011
They basically just wrote themselves into a fiction corner calling it Seed of Giants. I don't think it's any more mindbendingly complex than that.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

isn't the alva set from dark souls 2?

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Internet Kraken posted:

I felt really good beating Kiof storms on my second try.

I should of known better :negative:

Is this the optional super boss?

I think so, personally. If you thought the Champ was bad, well... Also, enjoy fighting that first phase again. Over and over and over...

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Orv posted:

They basically just wrote themselves into a fiction corner calling it Seed of Giants. I don't think it's any more mindbendingly complex than that.

kinda what I figured. just a simple gameplay concession

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
How have people's red phantom invasions been going? I just got my orb, but from what i've seen every fight is just a 2 or 3 v 1 gankfest, and with you scaling down to host there's no way to make up the odds with better equipment. So have any strategies arisen for making red eye invasions more fair to the invader? Heck, just share a notable story for how you actually killed an accompanied host that wasn't because of his accidental fall or mishandling mobs. Red phantom must be the proximate cause.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
also level 47~ pvp experience has taught me that there is one weapon that is lord of all the rest. i got utterly wrecked twice by it, and then later got wrecked by it again after i had switched to it. but using it means that if it is a 1v1, i win the majority of the time even with the health/estus disadvantage. ive even managed to win a few 2v1 fights, which i think i did once before i changed. poo poo i even managed to nearly win a gank train fight by dropping down on the entire group and swinging like a mad man trapped in a gently caress barrel.

what is this powerful weapon???? maybe don't look if you don't want to be BLOWN AWAY by TRUE POWER.

raw broadsword. all you need is 10/10 str/agl, pump the rest into vigor/vitality/endurance, and then you too can swing for literal loving days at 222 damage at +5. in a world where R1 stunlocking rules this little fucker is king. doesn't weight poo poo either so you can wear better armor as well.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Orv posted:

That's what I'm saying, or trying to, is that I absolutely believe you, but I don't necessarily know what to tell you either. It's something we can't solve on our end without something stupid like moving across the world for a better mutliplayer experience, so... I'm sorry?

It's okay I haven't seen anyone take Souls PvP that seriously in this thread yet, but someone was really angry at me in the DS2 thread for not liking PvP. This game is arguably worse too since you need to be embered to get NPC invasions and to get several pieces of armor and weapons. I would probably choose to opt out of PvP if I could, even if I enjoy the idea of invasions. At the same time I wouldn't want to opt out from blood stains and messages, but this makes me a hypocrite and terrible Souls player in some people's eyes. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

TheHoosier posted:

the DS2 tree next to the Shrine seems kinda out of place. The DS2 references aren't really common unless my memory of DS2 has just faded completely. Forossa, the Drang Knight set, Wolnir, the giant tree, the blind lady merchant, and that's it? Just seems random that there's a single solitary dead-giant-tree just chillin there.

In addition to the Mirrah set of gear, Creighton of Mirrah, and the Alva set there are some more items that appear to be finished but are dummied out in the full game that reference more DS2 stuff.