Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I can't find anything easily linkable but the soviets used atomic weapons to put out oil well blowouts in the 60s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Minarchist posted:

Fur-lined self contained NBC suits :laffo:

edit

good ol boys makin mother earth their bitch with ATOMICS :stare:

Atomic Earth Blaster posted:

\

Equipped with earphones, Tom called for a last-minute report from the technical crew.

“Ready number one!” came a voice from the first listening post.

“Ready number two!”

“Ready number three!” said Voorhees.

“Ready seismology!” reported Dr. MacGregor, who was stationed in the radio cave to maintain contact with seismological and weather stations all over the world.
Tensely, Tom began to count over the mike: “X minus five, four, three, two, one!”
Then he pushed a button and pulled down a lever. The earth blaster whined into action! The young inventor glued his eye to a telescope trained on the launching platform atop a scaffold as high as a three-story building. As he watched, the blaster rapidly pierced the ice below and disappeared from view. Moments later, reports began to come in from the listening posts. The blaster was working perfectly!

Voorhees put out his hand impulsively. “Congratulations, Tom! Guess I’ve caused a lot of hard feeling because I lacked faith in your ability. But now my hat’s off to you!”

Tom smiled as he shook hands with the blond scientist. “Forget it. We’ve all been working under a strain, but now let’s hope our troubles are over!”
As if in mockery of Tom’s words, there was a sudden loud rumbling. The ice cave shook, and the ground seemed to quiver beneath them! Tom’s face went pale as he grabbed the control levers.

“I’m afraid we’ve hit a fault!” he cried. Quickly he changed the operating direction of the blaster. But the rumbling continued!

Just then, Voorhees pointed out through the open doorway and gave a shout of alarm: “Look!”

From the higher ground not far from the camp, small geysers of steam were rising. The next moment, the top of a nearby hill exploded, becoming a volcano of terrifying fury!

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tom Swift, the world's most colossal blundering genius. You would think after the third or fourth time he invented something that went wildly out of control or exploded something they would lock him up, but nope. After this doomed adventure he immediately goes into space.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Kwyndig posted:

Tom Swift, the world's most colossal blundering genius. You would think after the third or fourth time he invented something that went wildly out of control or exploded something they would lock him up, but nope. After this doomed adventure he immediately goes into space.

Are we sure he wasn't encouraged to go to space to get him the hell away from earth?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Tom Swift and His Ultrasonic Cycloplane posted:

All eyes focused on the gleaming steel cylinder which housed the generator.

“Sure looks harmless enough,” Bud remarked.

“Don’t let its looks fool you, fly boy!” Tom retorted. “Those ceramic disks in there are vibrating over five million times a second. With waves of that frequency, you can-“

“Tom! Look out!” The sudden yell of warning came from Hank Sterling on the other side of the workbench. As he spoke, he flicked off the master switch on the electrical control panel.

Glancing down, Tom saw a jagged tongue of fire dart up his shop apron. A second later the whole apron front burst into flames.

“Smokin’ rockets!” gulped Bud.

Hank vaulted over the workbench to help Tom beat out the flames. But Bud acted even quicker. Grabbing the laboratory fire extinguisher off the wall, he upended the tank and sprayed Tom with a lather of chemical foam which instantly doused the flames.

Kwyndig posted:

Truer words were never spoken.

CapitanGarlic
Feb 29, 2004

Much, much more.

Kwyndig posted:

Interpret how you will, but Tom Swift was also indirectly responsible for the naming convention on the TASER (Thomas A. Swift's Electric Rifle). :science:

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Computer viking posted:

Not surprisingly, the USSR also had a program for peaceful use of nukes; the best-known end result is probably Lake Chagan.

I did appreciate the plans in the sixties which involved a chain of nukes to excavate a second Panama canal but across Nicaragua, or remove all those pesky mountain ranges in the Mojave. Operation Plowshare AKA Operation Put A Nuke On It.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

darkwasthenight posted:

I did appreciate the plans in the sixties which involved a chain of nukes to excavate a second Panama canal but across Nicaragua, or remove all those pesky mountain ranges in the Mojave. Operation Plowshare AKA Operation Put A Nuke On It.

Operation: Keep Nuking the poo poo out of Nevada.

I like this bit about making some propane too radioactive to use. Then issuing permits closer and closer to the site.

quote:

Three 30 kiloton detonations took place simultaneously at depths of 1,758, 1,875, and 2,015 meters. If it had been successful, plans called for the use of hundreds of specialized nuclear explosives in the western Rockies gas fields. The previous two tests had indicated that the produced natural gas would be too radioactive for safe use; the Rio Blanco test found that the three blast cavities had not connected as hoped, and the resulting gas still contained unacceptable levels of radionuclides.

The contaminated gas was never channeled into commercial supply lines. The situation remained so for the next three decades, but a resurgence in Colorado Western slope natural gas drilling has brought resource development closer and closer to the original underground detonations. By mid-2009, 84 drilling permits had been issued within a 3-mile radius, with 11 permits within one mile of the site.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The gas was too radioactive to sell forty‐three years ago, but we sure it hasn’t decayed enough by now?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The gas was too radioactive to sell forty‐three years ago, but we sure it hasn’t decayed enough by now?

Yeah, I'm not sure what would be able to contaminate a gas. Anything like radon would have long since decayed to solids.

Perhaps the neutron flux created a bunch of C-14 in the gas or something. That's the only thing I can think of that would make a difference, but even so carbon-14 naturally forms from cosmic rays colliding with nitrogen-14 atoms. Getting C-12 to absorb 2 neutrons would be pretty tough, and C-13 is rare enough it shouldn't matter even if it all absorbs one.

I'd really like to know what it was contaminated with, and what the half-lives of the nuclides involved are. I'm having a hard time understanding why anyone should be concerned about it now.

Maybe it's as simple as the unfissioned uranium still giving off radon, which gets into the gas in small amounts. Now I'm curious. Maybe there isn't any hazard at all and it's just ATOMZ fears.

Deteriorata has a new favorite as of 05:10 on Apr 14, 2016

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The isotopes of concern were:

Tritium: 12.3 yr
Argon: 35 d
Krypton 85: 10.8 yr

As well as “small amounts of”

Radon 222: 3.8 d
Cæsium 137: 30.2 yr
Strontium 90: 28.8 yr

I haven’t found the actual quantities, though, from the original or more recent tests, just tests from nearby well that show that the radioisotopes haven’t spread.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Platystemon posted:

The isotopes of concern were:

Tritium: 12.3 yr
Argon: 35 d
Krypton 85: 10.8 yr

As well as “small amounts of”

Radon 222: 3.8 d
Cæsium 137: 30.2 yr
Strontium 90: 28.8 yr

I haven’t found the actual quantities, though, from the original or more recent tests, just tests from nearby well that show that the radioisotopes haven’t spread.

Of those, only the Kr-85 would be a possible problem because it's a serious beta emitter with gamma rays, so its amount would indeed matter. Tritium is nothing, as it's a weak beta emitter that wouldn't cause any damage at almost any level, and after 30 years would be 1/8 of nothing. The Cs and Sr are metals that would quickly react with something and drop out of the gas phase. I'm not sure how you get them in the gas phase to begin with.

So it looks like the only thing to worry about is the Kr-85. If that's only present in small quantities (and it's had three half-lives to help in that), then maybe there won't be much problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Found it, 85Kr had a peak of 380 pCi/ml (STP)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Keiya posted:

Yeah but I can't really do that in my back yard, and something tells me getting the guys down at UW to light some faygo on fire for shiggles would be hard.

If you're talking about University of Washington, email the guys in the Physics Lecture Demo lab. Their entire job is to make and maintain UW's collection of toys that professors use to demonstrate physics to their students. They love blowing poo poo up for fun. If that doesn't work, email the lady that does the same thing for the chemistry lab - I asked her about burning radioactive materials for pretty colors and she got a really cute manic gleam in her eye.

HawkHill
Aug 15, 2015

Bhodi posted:

Any sufficiently advanced propulsion system is also a weapons system.

Yuri Milner agrees. Which is why (aside from the economics of putting a 100 GW laser into orbit) he was recently quoted as saying:

quote:

“People who talk about lasers in space don’t think about policy issues, and they don’t think about cost,” he said. “Nobody will allow you to build something that you can point in all different directions, as you would be able to in space. This is a very big laser. It can do quite a bit of damage.” On Earth, it could only point in certain directions, and would be much easier for other governments to inspect.

http://www.theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/04/yuri-milner-zuckerberg-starshot-interstellar-centauri/477669/

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

Pile of Kittens posted:

If you're talking about University of Washington, email the guys in the Physics Lecture Demo lab. Their entire job is to make and maintain UW's collection of toys that professors use to demonstrate physics to their students. They love blowing poo poo up for fun. If that doesn't work, email the lady that does the same thing for the chemistry lab - I asked her about burning radioactive materials for pretty colors and she got a really cute manic gleam in her eye.

University of Wisconsin, sorry. They probably have something similar, honestly...

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think there was any lecture demo lab, but when I was studying chem, I spent many days in the students lab doing assignments such as syntheses and analyses.

During my master's (Science communication) I was making a physics/chem/bio class for primary schoolers. Getting some physics stuff (magnets, some simple optics stuff) for the demo was easy. Just go to the physics lab and ask for it. Chemistry was another story. All I needed from univ were some petri dishes with growth medium (so the kids could test which place in their school had the most bacteria). It's totally safe stuff, so I thought I'd go to the students laboratory supplies desk and ask for it. They told me no, nothing may leave the building, everything has to be accounted for.

In the end I just went to a biochem prof in whose lab I had done some research before. He said: "I don't mind, as long as you make and pour the growth medium yourself." Cool. I asked him how much that would cost, because the Science communication teacher would cover expenses, he said "sorting that out would take enough of my time that it would cost the university more money than the value of those few dishes. Just take it already."

I still think it's strange I had to go through hoops like that to get stuff for a simple primary school demo. I am not sure, but I think university teachers just keep their own stock of demo material in their own research lab. I mean, every chem teacher is a researcher as well.

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

there's people who should be given a mythbusters-style destruction show

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Explosives disguised to look like coal. They were thrown onto coal piles at railway stations, then they got into a locomotive furnace and incapacitated it. The idea actually dates back to the Civil War.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
They did the same thing in WWII with dead rats. You kill a rat, gut it, fill it with RDX and sew it back up. Any stoker on a train who sees a dead rat in the coal skip will pitch it straight in the furnace.

Boom.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
This example was found in a Nazi saboteur cache unearthed in Latvia.

On preview: SA’s forum software hates Cyrillic URLs, so here it is in plain text for copy & paste: http://копанина.рф/publ/5-1-0-558

Wikipedia pages on coal torpedoes, explosive rats

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 12:36 on Apr 16, 2016

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Platystemon posted:

This example was found in a Nazi saboteur cache unearthed in Latvia.

On preview: SA’s forum software hates Cyrillic URLs, so here it is in plain text for copy & paste: [url]http://копанина.рф/publ/5-1-0-558[/url]

I was about to say, since when are non-ASCII URLs a thing, looked it up, and holy poo poo there's a bunch of internationalized TLDs now, including .中国 (China), .台灣 (Taiwan), and .香港 (Hong Kong). And Arabic: السعودية ,.مصر. and امارات. for Egypt, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE, respectively.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Technically they’re still encoded as ASCII at some level, which just gave me the idea to go back and fix the link by pre‐coding it that way so vBulletin doesn’t choke on it.

It’s kind of a dirty hack, but better than telling the rest of the world to get hosed. Browsers sometimes display the underlying punycode for security reasons.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like that one url-shortening service that registered the domain that is just an arrow.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH
Here's a thing that's interesting to me that I've never got an explanation for.

Once back in the deep dark days of 1998, I was doing a series of experimental casting projects in college. I was trying different resin/hardener ratios and comparing how it affected curing time when using silicone molds. Part of this project (personal project, not assigned) included different tints for the resin. I was using FastCast urethane casting resin/hardener.

Here's the crazy thing, I used some expired, very old, powdered dye and stirred it into the resin. Once I added the hardener, it foamed to 4 times it's size and got so hot I had to tear my gloves off. My hands were burning badly through the gloves within two seconds. I'm lucky that I always wore double gloves. It saved my hands. It was smoking as I threw it in the trash can. It was nearly at ignition when it hit the garbage. It started melting the other garbage in the can so I grabbed a large container that happened to be in the room and used it to pour water on foaming mess until it cooled off. I knew that the fire extinguisher would do nothing as it was an aggressive exo-thermic reaction that CO2 wouldn't affect.

From my "exciting" experience, I then developed a weird technique, by using (less quantity) expired dye to create a foam texture in a silicone mold. It meant I could use about 1/3 the normal amount of resin and it was just as strong a finished product. It created an awesome texture and saved you a lot of resin.

My question is to any molding and casting scholars is: WTF? This technique required powdered dyes that were at least 20 years old. The new ones never had any effect. My crazy, foaming, fire powered, death resin, was only possible if I used any of the ancient powders. They had no label so I can't tell you what was in them. Just left overs in the fire cabinet from a bygone era.

I'd love to know what caused this reaction.

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.

mostlygray posted:

Something hideously toxic, I'm sure.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

mostlygray posted:

Here's a thing that's interesting to me that I've never got an explanation for.

Once back in the deep dark days of 1998, I was doing a series of experimental casting projects in college. I was trying different resin/hardener ratios and comparing how it affected curing time when using silicone molds. Part of this project (personal project, not assigned) included different tints for the resin. I was using FastCast urethane casting resin/hardener.

Here's the crazy thing, I used some expired, very old, powdered dye and stirred it into the resin. Once I added the hardener, it foamed to 4 times it's size and got so hot I had to tear my gloves off. My hands were burning badly through the gloves within two seconds. I'm lucky that I always wore double gloves. It saved my hands. It was smoking as I threw it in the trash can. It was nearly at ignition when it hit the garbage. It started melting the other garbage in the can so I grabbed a large container that happened to be in the room and used it to pour water on foaming mess until it cooled off. I knew that the fire extinguisher would do nothing as it was an aggressive exo-thermic reaction that CO2 wouldn't affect.

From my "exciting" experience, I then developed a weird technique, by using (less quantity) expired dye to create a foam texture in a silicone mold. It meant I could use about 1/3 the normal amount of resin and it was just as strong a finished product. It created an awesome texture and saved you a lot of resin.

My question is to any molding and casting scholars is: WTF? This technique required powdered dyes that were at least 20 years old. The new ones never had any effect. My crazy, foaming, fire powered, death resin, was only possible if I used any of the ancient powders. They had no label so I can't tell you what was in them. Just left overs in the fire cabinet from a bygone era.

My first guess would be simply moisture. Urethane resins are incredibly sensitive to moisture, so the old dye had probably absorbed some water - or contained something that produced water when mixed with the urethane.

Minarchist
Mar 5, 2009

by WE B Bourgeois

mostlygray posted:

My provision of the salt, which had never been renewed since the date of the first experiment, began to run low. I sent out for a fresh supply, and mixed the draught; the ebullition followed, and the first change of colour, not the second; I drank it and it was without efficiency. You will learn from Poole how I have had London ransacked; it was in vain; and I am now persuaded that my first supply was impure, and that it was that unknown impurity which lent efficacy to the draught. About a week has passed, and I am now finishing this statement under the influence of the last of the old powders. This, then, is the last time, short of a miracle, that Henry Jekyll can think his own thoughts or see his own face (now how sadly altered!) in the glass. Nor must I delay too long to bring my writing to an end; for if my narrative has hitherto escaped destruction, it has been by a combination of great prudence and great good luck.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

In reference to that idea to send a probe to Alpha Centauri via laser:

One of the biggest problems that I could see resulting from that experiment would be sending/receiving data. The amount of bits (as in data) you can get a second from a platform that is well-beyond Pluto is abysmally low - for example, New Horizons, in it's Jupiter flyby managed to send roughly 38 kb/s, not bad for an object zipping through space several hundred million kilometers from Earth. Many goons were still surfing the internet at that speed back in the early 2000s. But as New Horizons goes further, and further out, the byte send rate is pathetically small - right now, New Horizons is broadcasting at roughly 2 kb/s, meaning that all the data from the Pluto flyby won't have finished broadcasting by December 2016. Extrapolate this further and you can see one of the huge, huge issues with an Alpha Centauri mission. Even if we could get a probe in the relative vicinity of the Proxima Centauri, and even get it within close enough distance of an exo-planet to actually take good resolution pictures (a feat which is actually more improbable than taking a jump shot in New York and landing it in a basket in Beijing), actually getting that data back, in a usable format would be unbelievably unlikely. We're talking bits/hour or bits/day for years, not accounting for any unforeseen events in transit (like our ideas about the make up of the Suns magnetic field being slightly incorrect).

TheRagamuffin
Aug 31, 2008

In Paradox Space, when you cross the line, your nuts are mine.
I wonder how much of that slowdown is due to the protocol used. That might be an important part of the research for further and further exploration.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A White Guy posted:

In reference to that idea to send a probe to Alpha Centauri via laser:

One of the biggest problems that I could see resulting from that experiment would be sending/receiving data. The amount of bits (as in data) you can get a second from a platform that is well-beyond Pluto is abysmally low - for example, New Horizons, in it's Jupiter flyby managed to send roughly 38 kb/s, not bad for an object zipping through space several hundred million kilometers from Earth. Many goons were still surfing the internet at that speed back in the early 2000s. But as New Horizons goes further, and further out, the byte send rate is pathetically small - right now, New Horizons is broadcasting at roughly 2 kb/s, meaning that all the data from the Pluto flyby won't have finished broadcasting by December 2016. Extrapolate this further and you can see one of the huge, huge issues with an Alpha Centauri mission. Even if we could get a probe in the relative vicinity of the Proxima Centauri, and even get it within close enough distance of an exo-planet to actually take good resolution pictures (a feat which is actually more improbable than taking a jump shot in New York and landing it in a basket in Beijing), actually getting that data back, in a usable format would be unbelievably unlikely. We're talking bits/hour or bits/day for years, not accounting for any unforeseen events in transit (like our ideas about the make up of the Suns magnetic field being slightly incorrect).

Yeah, but with that many probes you can just torrent the data back.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Stagger a poo poo-ton of probes so they'll be at a distance from one another that allows them to relay the data back in a timely fashion. :science:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

TheRagamuffin posted:

I wonder how much of that slowdown is due to the protocol used. That might be an important part of the research for further and further exploration.

Well there's a lot of problems when you get far enough out, there's signal attenuation, there's power loss from your RTG elements decaying (because you can't use solar), there's interference from the solar wind, there's whatever the hell is out past the heliopause. In an ideal world, NASA would be able to slap several redundant power supplies on a probe so it would have enough juice to give us a nice strong high bandwidth signal until end of lifetime. Short of inventing new data compression tools there's not a lot left on the software side to fix that can overcome the complex hardware issues.

You can't mount a nice high power laser on a space probe because it would be too heavy and maybe your neighbors might think you're going to use it for less peaceful purposes, so you're stuck with radio and maybe microwave.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Minarchist posted:

My provision of the salt, which had never been renewed since the date of the first experiment, began to run low. I sent out for a fresh supply, and mixed the draught; the ebullition followed, and the first change of colour, not the second; I drank it and it was without efficiency. You will learn from Poole how I have had London ransacked; it was in vain; and I am now persuaded that my first supply was impure, and that it was that unknown impurity which lent efficacy to the draught. About a week has passed, and I am now finishing this statement under the influence of the last of the old powders. This, then, is the last time, short of a miracle, that Henry Jekyll can think his own thoughts or see his own face (now how sadly altered!) in the glass. Nor must I delay too long to bring my writing to an end; for if my narrative has hitherto escaped destruction, it has been by a combination of great prudence and great good luck.

Respect. (insert fist bump)

Syd Midnight
Sep 23, 2005

A White Guy posted:

Even if we could get a probe in the relative vicinity of the Proxima Centauri, and even get it within close enough distance of an exo-planet to actually take good resolution pictures (a feat which is actually more improbable than taking a jump shot in New York and landing it in a basket in Beijing), actually getting that data back, in a usable format would be unbelievably unlikely.

That is one reason why nobody is suggesting trying to take high resolution pictures with these things. Sending data as trickle of bits/day for years isn't a problem, it's the goal of the mission. It's the reason why they're proposing such tiny, redundant probes that will probably be more similar to thermal diodes on a motherboard than to New Horizons.

e:

packetmantis posted:

Stagger a poo poo-ton of probes so they'll be at a distance from one another that allows them to relay the data back in a timely fashion. :science:
There's an idea

Syd Midnight has a new favorite as of 09:07 on Apr 18, 2016

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

packetmantis posted:

Ah, the Vint Cerf method.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Minarchist posted:

i love this thread.

:golfclap:

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

packetmantis posted:

How would you keep them warm and powered in interstellar space? I've been imagining these things basically going cold and dormant until they get close enough to a star to wake up. Even if most of the mass of the probe were plutonium I don't think it would be enough considering how small they have to be.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Could they fall asleep as they leave solar power range then wake up when they get close enough to power back up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

DemeaninDemon posted:

Could they fall asleep as they leave solar power range then wake up when they get close enough to power back up?

You could probably intermittently warm them up using a shutdown-wake up sequence. But, these probes would be passing through interstellar space, which is (usually) not that far above absolute zero. You absolutely couldn't put thrusters on them - the fuel would need to be heated constantly, or else it would freeze solid. Basically, all of your power would need to be drawn from RCGs, and most of its power would be used in keeping the electronics in the spacecraft from getting too cold.

What would really suck for a mission control would be sitting at their panels, waiting for telemetry from almost 4 years ago to come through. And if it didn't warm up after 20 years in interstellar space, :shrug:. Not a drat thing they could do about it. Another piece of humanities junk flying into the cosmos, forever.