Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't there something about how the red filter should actually make things appear yellow?

Someone mentioned before that the encyclopedia the eye dimension thing is from also has some other nonsense explanations for things, like Spider-Man's wall clinging I think? Those books are usually written by people who don't actually work in comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picklepuss
Jul 12, 2002

It seems Kate Beaton does not like Dagger's costume:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/17/kate-beaton-on-cloak-and-dagger-and-that-costume/

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

:allears:

Kate Beaton is the best. She's posted an updated version here (warning: mildly :nws:)

Also, I guess this apparently forthcoming TV series might explain why Dan Slott rolled 'em back to the classic power sets (after they got swapped round over in Spider-Island) for no reason.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's not what her costume looks like anymore though.

I mean the new one's not much better, but it's not stuck on with magic anymore.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rich Johnston always on the case to alert the internet scum of a person saying things

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

That's not what her costume looks like anymore though.

I mean the new one's not much better, but it's not stuck on with magic anymore.

They'd probably just adapt the Ultimate/cartoon one.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

cdougherty9 posted:

So she complains about a costume with “tit windows” then proceeds to draw (well scribble is a better term) boobs with nipples. Seems counter-intuitive to her outrage.
:allears: how do you fail at a basic understanding of satire this hard

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Codependent Poster posted:

Oh god, Galactus is trying to drop a Cosmic Deuce!

Also hey, they made a version of the costume where they have the dagger motif without the bare skin! It only took them what, 20 years?

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

fatherboxx posted:

Rich Johnston always on the case to alert the internet scum of a person saying things

I read the comments. Why did I read the comments?

quote:

So she complains about a costume with “tit windows” then proceeds to draw (well scribble is a better term) boobs with nipples. Seems counter-intuitive to her outrage.

quote:

Most female outfits like this can also have the foundation that it is a distraction when battling male opponents.

quote:

So I think there might maybe, just maybe, be some young super-heroines who might be prone to show off a little.

quote:

Just another sex negative feminist ranting about boobs. Nothing new here.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Kate Beaton is right and awesome, as usual.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Also, I guess this apparently forthcoming TV series might explain why Dan Slott rolled 'em back to the classic power sets (after they got swapped round over in Spider-Island) for no reason.

That swap was stupid and that comic sucked.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Selachian posted:

I read the comments. Why did I read the comments?
My favorite was "Have you been around teenagers? Tons of sluts young girls dress provocatively!", followed by " I'm sorry WHO is this person never heard of her :tips trilldora:"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Codependent Poster posted:

If they go with costumes at all, yeah.

In all the movies, the only ones I can think of who have shown comic book skin are Psylocke and Emma Frost. And that was probably 75% of the reason for including either character in the first place. Plus both Fox, not Marvel.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Lurdiak posted:

Kate Beaton is right and awesome, as usual.

Actually she's wrong. She drew the classic costume instead of the updated one in the article, thereby invalidating her side's arguments completely. Sorry those are the internet rules.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

Actually she's wrong. She drew the classic costume instead of the updated one in the article, thereby invalidating her side's arguments completely. Sorry those are the internet rules.

I realise you're being sarcastic, but in case anyone's wondering this is Dagger's latest costume:

God dammit, Marvel. You had one job!

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

You could combine that with two Emma Frost costumes, and she'd have most of a shirt!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Savidudeosoo posted:

Nah, this is different. He starts seeing a demon and it screws up his combat effectiveness, so they have to go see Doctor Strange for help. I think it might be the same dimension, though.

What issue is this?

Savidudeosoo
Feb 12, 2016

Pelican, a Bag Man

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

What issue is this?

X-Men: First Class (Vol 1) #4: Seeing Red

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yvonmukluk posted:

I realise you're being sarcastic, but in case anyone's wondering this is Dagger's latest costume:

You know, that costume would be fine if that area wasn't cut out and was just different colored fabric. Or put like a glow effect on there or something. Anything but skin.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The top doesn't actually look too bad there where there looks like something resembling support, but if you have to consider a character's pube maintenance, their crotch cut out is probably too low.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 18, 2016

Achernar
Sep 2, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

You know, that costume would be fine if that area wasn't cut out and was just different colored fabric. Or put like a glow effect on there or something. Anything but skin.

Part of the problem is that it's a giant cross-shaped hole and making it gold or red just makes her look like Catholic-Girl. I do like the glow idea though.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Filling the hole with mesh would work, and it'd give the costume some texture variation. I think part of the reason tit/flesh windows are so prevalent is yeah, they're a sexualisation thing, but it also means that in terms of what colours a character design is using, it distributes the flesh tone you have on the character's face elsewhere on the body, which can help balance a design out, especially if you have more exposed skin elsewhere on the body (i.e. the prevalence of female superhero costumes having bare legs). But that doesn't really excuse the fact that yeah, it's blatantly sexualisation.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You could make it silver, y'know, like a loving dagger.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Her daggers are made of light.

That wouldn't make any sense at all!

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
So have her constantly radiate blinding light from it. Would save the artist a lot of time if they just had to draw a head and limbs coming out of a corona of light.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Shakenbaker posted:

So have her constantly radiate blinding light from it. Would save the artist a lot of time if they just had to draw a head and limbs coming out of a corona of light.

Well, tracing over Cloak and inverting the color scheme sure would save time, yes.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Shakenbaker posted:

young justice #1

redbackground fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Apr 18, 2016

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Red Bones posted:

Filling the hole with mesh would work, and it'd give the costume some texture variation. I think part of the reason tit/flesh windows are so prevalent is yeah, they're a sexualisation thing, but it also means that in terms of what colours a character design is using, it distributes the flesh tone you have on the character's face elsewhere on the body, which can help balance a design out, especially if you have more exposed skin elsewhere on the body (i.e. the prevalence of female superhero costumes having bare legs). But that doesn't really excuse the fact that yeah, it's blatantly sexualisation.

I think if that were a concern, a lot more male characters would be showing a lot more skin. It's probably safe to chalk it up entirely to sexualization.

Poor Miserable Gurgi fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 18, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Imagine how weird it would be if DC made a new Batman costume where the bat symbol is a pec window.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ridiculous! Then what happens when he gets shot there?

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

That'll never happen, female villains will be too distracted to shoot straight.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Lurdiak posted:

Imagine how weird it would be if DC made a new Batman costume where the bat symbol is a pec window.

Grant Morrison parachute account spotted.

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

It even comes with camel toe!

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yvonmukluk posted:

You mistakenly posted a picture from her Maximum Carnage 90's era costume, I assume.

The blank white void design would work fine if you closed the collar.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Not sure if it would work, but I was thinking if you had Cloak and Dagger essentially be pallet switched.

Turn Cloak's cloak white with the black void in the middle.

Have Dagger's costume be black with the dagger white in the middle.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Keep their costumes the same and switch their genders.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

redbackground posted:

young justice #1
Why is she a cat woman

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

MH Knights posted:

It even comes with camel toe!
:stare:
Jesus, I didn't even notice that!

SirDan3k posted:

You mistakenly posted a picture from her Maximum Carnage 90's era costume, I assume.

The blank white void design would work fine if you closed the collar.
Nope! Right from her last appearance in Amazing Spider-Man 8. Sorry to to break it to you like this.

Timeless Appeal posted:

Not sure if it would work, but I was thinking if you had Cloak and Dagger essentially be pallet switched.

Turn Cloak's cloak white with the black void in the middle.

Have Dagger's costume be black with the dagger white in the middle.
They literally had their pallets switched due to Mr. Negative shenanigans in their previous appearance. Unfortunately they kept the skin window intact. Although the contrast between the dark of the costume and the light areas of skins was striking. It's just shame they didn't think like you did and fill that gap with with white fabric.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Tit windows with Cloak and Dagger, kinda nws: http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=398

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Alhazred posted:

Tit windows with Cloak and Dagger, kinda nws: http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=398

I, er, already posted that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

as awkward as Dagger's costume in here rn

• Locked thread