Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you see him ripping them off in the intro cutscene to dark souls 1 and there's a subplot about him trying to get his scales back iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

all of the immortal stone dragons were dead predating dark souls 1 yea? seath was the last one and he stripped himself of his immortality along with his scales. so you're fighting dragons in dark souls, but not the immortal ones gwyn and his group killed in the dark souls 1 intro

No. There's at least one alive in Ash Lake.

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Manatee Cannon posted:

you see him ripping them off in the intro cutscene to dark souls 1 and there's a subplot about him trying to get his scales back iirc

huh, I always thought the reason for betraying his own kind was jealousy. still learning stuff after 100000 hours of all this poo poo

vvv alright then so I had the right idea. lots of interpretation with these games

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Apr 18, 2016

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Manatee Cannon posted:

He's not ripping them off, he's crushing a fragment of one of his fellow dragons. He was always scaleless, his lack of the immortality of normal dragons was always his driving motivation.

He is defined by Want, which is why he is not a true dragon and is subject to the ravages of time.

Edit: He's literally sitting on top of a mountain of dead dragons in the intro, for all intents and purposes gloating.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Apr 18, 2016

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
So if they ever re-release this game like scholar, here's my sure fire way to improve the cathedral of the deep. Get rid of all the lovely little thief dudes from the town area and replace them with literally any other enemy from the cathedral area.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
There's no way the Nameless King isn't Gwyn's firstborn right? He's described as being the heir of lightning (and he uses some of Gwyn's attacks), he hunted dragons but then allied with them (causing him to be expunged from the annals which is why he is 'Nameless'?), he uses some of Ornstein's attacks too and Ornstein went searching for him (and we find his armor in the area after the fight).. and last but not least, he was a God of War which I can definitely buy it all makes sense :magical:

e: wait it even says that last part in the description of his soul, I'm 99% sure that's who he's meant to be.
e2: which makes the coolest boss somehow even cooler.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 18, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Spooky Bear Ghost posted:

I'm assuming you mean it going back to a sort of age of the ancients again? I thought it was implied that it would go from Ancients to Fire to Man?

Anyway, ds1 was basically the start of the end of the world, then ds2 was beyond the end of the world, now we're at the point where the world is just so loving hosed up that its collapsing in on itself, so I guess its best to just put it down and wait for the next one (going by what the fire keeper says with new fires popping up around in the dark)

Dark Souls lore has a lot of holes that aren't really clear but it's because the main point is the overall theme that stays the same. As long as you understand the theme then you get a basic story from it, but again it's mostly repetition. Age of Fire/Dark, 4 Lord Souls, Chosen Undead, Abyss, cycle repeating themselves over and over, etc.. A lot of it is up to player intepretation.

The ending in Dark Souls 1 doesn't matter, because by Dark Souls 2 you realize that no matter if the flame is linked or extinguished, it'll always be a constant battle between Fire and Dark and these cycles repeating themselves. Doesn't matter if it takes a thousand years, someone will upset the flow. Gwyn hosed up the flow by trying to keep the Age of Fire, so a Chosen Undead came and kicked his rear end and returned things to their normal flow. Vendrick hosed up the flow as well by not choosing anything (while seeking out ways to break the flow) but he could only do that for so long as he turns into a hollow shell, so a Chosen Undead came along and kicked his rear end and returned things to normal. Going hollow means losing your humanity, losing your purpose.

The DLC of Dark Souls 2 kind of experiments with a new answer thought, wherein the three crowns allow an undead to never go hollow. Meaning in a way, the DLC ending does kind of break the flow somehow. Anyway, I haven't even finished Dark Souls 3.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Nonexistence posted:

How have people's red phantom invasions been going? I just got my orb, but from what i've seen every fight is just a 2 or 3 v 1 gankfest, and with you scaling down to host there's no way to make up the odds with better equipment. So have any strategies arisen for making red eye invasions more fair to the invader? Heck, just share a notable story for how you actually killed an accompanied host that wasn't because of his accidental fall or mishandling mobs. Red phantom must be the proximate cause.

ive slain around 45 dudes in DS3 and been poo poo at invading through all the Souls series. a few of those are of just the "host died when i joined" things, and quite a few don't really make good stories since they are just "host was alone and i killed him 1v1" or "host had a phantom and i killed the phantom then killed him". don't really engage in too many shenanigans, really. i probably generate some funny tales for the hosts, given my proclivity to jump off ledges and die.

invader tactics

my hot tips on pvp are "use a raw 1h weapon" and "mash points into vigor/endurance/vitality". that alone will probably make you better off than the majority of dudes you fight 1v1, even with host advantage. i've been rocked pretty hard by a few big strength weapons like the demon greataxe but i wouldn't actually rely on something like that since they're probably easy to deal with by someone who isn't total loving garbage at pvp like i am.

you want to buy some undead hunter's thingies, and grass. the undead hunter thing is a bit of a bitch to land but you can toss it after a dude bats the air a bit and it will usually hit. for hosts that don't know what it does, you can hit them a bit and then give them some space and they will try to estus and instead have a really long animation play where their dude acts all stupid with a flask. this, combined with you hitting them, will make them freak out and swing for the fences/panic roll. if the former, just kill them, if the latter, don't bother swinging until they're done with rolling, then hit them a bit, roll WITH them, then hit them some more. if the host DOES know what the undead thing does, they'll either panic and behave mostly the same, or they'll play keepaway, in which case well gently caress you for trying i guess. it is still a very, very useful tool and when it works, it works real well.

the grass gives some stamina regen but most importantly those that recognize grass use as "something pros do" will be suitably awed by your prowess.

when fighting other players the real key is stamina management. don't swing at the air a bunch, don't bother swinging at people doing panic rolls, have enough endurance to chase after runners. the goal is really is to either hit them when they don't expect, or hit them when they can't react, and having low stamina fulfills the latter pretty well. also remember that doing anything that uses stamna while your bar is recovering will halt your regen for a second, so generally wait for a full bar before attacking, and coversly keep up the pressure on a low stamina enemy so they can't do anything.

when fighting multiple foes, keep the fight somewhere constrained so they can't circle around you. constrained spaces are your friend, generally, since a dude stuck against a wall or scenery is a dude who can't roll to freedom. Bodyblock dudes as well; they cannot roll through you so its a nice way to prevent dudes from running away and healing on low health.

in a 2v1, switch up targets on occasion, and press the attack when either the enemies are too close or too far apart. they will try to backstab you, but that often can be taken advantage of by turning right around and smacking up the encircling foe, and then when he rolls away, turning to attack his buddy, who will not expect you to do that, generally. pick more on the phantom, since he has less estus and less health and the host isn't as keen on defending his ghost pal than vice vera. if you can kill the ghost, its a 1v1 with a host whose probably going to be a bit on tilt since youre so badass and all that.

in a 3v1... well, try to kill a phantom. They will be a LOT more aggressive but the host sometimes gets a bit of cold feet about personally engaging. The problem is that you'll never going to be able to launch an attack that someone won't be able to punish you for, and you can't punish stupid aggression, and you can't stop estus use. You can still win an invasion against a buddy and two ghosts, but I don't think I've ever won a "real" 3v1. Gotten close, but this isn't horseshoes. On the bright side, these dudes are often a lot more prone to chase you or actually advance in the level, giving you opportunities for hit and run stuff or other things to avoid a straight up slugout. the best results ive gotten is just being stupidly aggressive; wait until they all blow a bunch of attacks at you, then charge in an smack them, or just drop down from an unexpected spot and flay at them. they'll run off to use estus, which may give you a window to chase and kill one of them.

also if you get hit, other players will generally expect you to start rolling and trying to heal; you can really gently caress with them by being aggressive here as well. poo poo, its really a good rule of thumb to think about what your enemy expects you to do, and then thinking about what would really gently caress with them. if they expect you to attack, back off. swing at them only once and then roll with them instead of letting them roll away from your swings to estus up. etc.

blocking with your shield is generally a very poor idea against most attacks since even if your guard doesn't break, you'll be too drained to stamina to really counter much. if you do block, hold off on countering until your stamina is restored a bit. the ultimate defense against any attack is to just roll away, and then if they keep swinging at air, hitting them. mostly directly away generally keeps you safe at minimal stamina cost, or you can roll a bit and then circlestrafe to set up an ideal counter.

you can "counter roll"; dudes like to roll after flubbing an attack to avoid the immediate counter, so you can roll right after them and do an attack from the rolling animation that will catch them.

estus comes out fast and heals fast. if you're further than immediate melee range, you can estus; you might get hit a bit after you heal, though. you can get out of a lot of seriously tight spots just by rolling for loving ever to a suitable distance, since rolling is fast and you can change directions super easily, which is not the same for running, really. same goes with the host; you can sometimes get them stunlocked enough to invalidate their estus use via damage, at least. the only real method to deny healing is to just keep on top of them and keep them panicking instead of moving somewhere intelligent. there is really no secret technique to counter estus (running attacks are too loving slow, ffs), other than just keeping up pressure and managing your stamina so you don't immediately blow it all whiffing a panic rolling guy repeatedly.

runners are a bitch and a half and suck and since rolling/running uses less stamina than swinging at a dude, you're kind of hosed if they get any ground at all. Yet again, just keep after them, wait for their stamina to run low, then smack them. Don't try a running attack against a running guy or he will just roll and estus. Running away as an invader is a similarly powerful tactic but you generally less estus and can't summon ghost pals so you don't get a much from it.

if you break a dudes guard, you can stab them in the face for extra damage, in the same way as a backstab. it is great because a lot of hosts think shields are worth a poo poo in pvp and so will try to block you at first. they tend to wise up pretty fast, though. backstab fishing is possible and ive had it done on me but it is hard to follow up on in a way that a dude can't just estus it away, and a lot of attacks track a lot more effectively than in other souls games so circling isn't as easy as an option. parrying is also a possibility if youre MEGA PRO and it is at least possible; if you see a dude flapping his shield, let him waste his stamina while you charge a strong attack or something. you can sometimes get a lucky parry off if a dude is whalloping your face or if multiple dudes are doing so, but the timing is weird with the lag and all.

spells suck don't use them.

overall invader strategies

nominally the invader advantage is that the host is trying to get through a level full of baddies and you get to choose where to fight, but they've got a fair amount of tools in which to gently caress with you; the main one is known colloquially as Being A Huge Goddamn Pussy. this can take many forms, from the humble Giant Seed, to the endless re-summoning of the same phantom who you keep having to loving kill over and over again. Even if you have zen like patience (like i do because im a master of all arts), once a host gets impatient enough they tend to just kill the .exe instead of dealing with you as a final gently caress You. So what you want to do, first thing, when you arrive is to find the host ASAP because they're probably somewhere they would rather not fight you at, and might even be alone. If they are alone, murder them. Even with one phantom buddy, you can generally win at least half the time if you fight them somewhere other than a giant empty room.

blitzing: just rush the dumb fucker and try to kill them. you generally want to do this if you find the host quickly and they're either alone, in a weakened/disadvantaged state, or they're otherwise not at all prepared for what you're about to do. the goal is to end poo poo asap before it turns into a protracted estus chugging fight.
hit and run: basically blitz and then peace out before they can react. the goal is to get the host/phantoms to burn though estus and/or decide to chase you into dangerous territory, which will let you hit them more, before they kill the monsters in the room and you leave again.
shadowing: you stay a bit behind the hosts and his buddies and do something annoying like gesture or throw poo poo. if they approach you back away, until the group attention is divided so you can run in and attack a guy before the group coalesces its attention onto you. this requires a host who is trying to actually progress through the level and who doesn't really want to chase you into a place where they're be on equal footing with you (aka into a room with a scary monster or a big mob of things).
ambushing: waiting for the host at some point in the level like a ledge you can knock them off or some place where they REALLY don't want to fight. also comes in the Highly Visible Ambush variety where you stand out in the open in some place waiting for them. i don't tend to do this since it turns into really protracted dumb standoffs or waiting games and also doesn't really work as well as you'd hope most of the time.
gently caress You rear end in a top hat: when there are 3 dudes standing in a campfire gesturing at you, do hit and run or whatever until you run out of estus, then delay a bunch and do poo poo like shoot poison arrows to further waste time and estus, and then Black Separation Crystal out. you will get nothing but they don't get to see a big glowy text on their screen and they don't get to gesture at you like mr captain badass so it will probably piss them off as well.
No Seriously gently caress You rear end in a top hat: When the host is a mega coward, run off to some secluded hole somewhere, use camouflage, then go afk. They will disconnect before ever leaving so you still will get nothing but you at least waste a lot of their time.

HAVE FUN READING ALL THAT, B1TCH

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Zombies' Downfall posted:

No. There's at least one alive in Ash Lake.

Even if Kalameet isn't a real Dragon, which we've no reason to think, the one in Ash Lake is definitely a defacto real-deal immortal dragon.

As for the snakemen in Dark Souls 3 the items imply the snakemen are descendents of the dragon that degraded over time and lost whatever it is that makes a dragon a dragon. Based on the weird ascetic virtue nature of the quest-line and the Dragons existing sans-fire I assume to become a dragon is a sort of bhuddist-like quest were you free yourselves from want or desire, including the flame and the life it provides.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I've found plenty of scrolls/tomes but I don't know who to give them to, is there a requirement?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Barudak posted:

Even if Kalameet isn't a real Dragon, which we've no reason to think, the one in Ash Lake is definitely a defacto real-deal immortal dragon.

As for the snakemen in Dark Souls 3 the items imply the snakemen are descendents of the dragon that degraded over time and lost whatever it is that makes a dragon a dragon. Based on the weird ascetic virtue nature of the quest-line and the Dragons existing sans-fire I assume to become a dragon is a sort of bhuddist-like quest were you free yourselves from want or desire, including the flame and the life it provides.

They're really not subtle about that, no.

See also: The related gesture.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

I've found plenty of scrolls/tomes but I don't know who to give them to, is there a requirement?

Scrolls go to the mage you find before the Crystal Sage fight and Tomes go to the priestess you find before running into Siegward.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Your Computer posted:

I just remembered where I had seen High Lord Wolnir before

checks out

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Are there any rings that are particularly useful for a strength/sword build? As far as I can tell there's no Ring of Blades in this game.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I love kicking guys in their big, dumb shields and then visceral attacking them.

The Cathedral is brutal. So many ambushes!

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I had an invader magiclag me to death, then invite me to a PSN community club thing

for people that he'd beaten

(It was empty and I did not join)

I can't decide what's worse: that somebody would go to so much trouble to make other people mad, or that it worked and I just totally lost my mind yelling and throwing stuff across my living room. Bad teleport fights have kind of been my HOT BUTTON, though, I don't think anything in the game gets me as mad as [XxBadConnectionxX Has Invaded]. Any other time I die I know it's my fault in a way, I don't like losing my agency when I lose my souls.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I AM BRAWW posted:

Scrolls go to the mage you find before the Crystal Sage fight and Tomes go to the priestess you find before running into Siegward.

the mage doesn't want to talk to me; and where was the priestess?

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I had an invader magiclag me to death, then invite me to a PSN community club thing

for people that he'd beaten

(It was empty and I did not join)

I can't decide what's worse: that somebody would go to so much trouble to make other people mad, or that it worked and I just totally lost my mind yelling and throwing stuff across my living room. Bad teleport fights have kind of been my HOT BUTTON, though, I don't think anything in the game gets me as mad as [XxBadConnectionxX Has Invaded]. Any other time I die I know it's my fault in a way, I don't like losing my agency when I lose my souls.

the tricks to remember is that a lot of times it goes a bit bothways, but you'll never know the times that you were the laglord.

i do know that dudes in the t pose are super loving easy to kill and sometimes i wonder if the host is just seeing something entirely different than what i am seeing. like a lot of times the t pose dude just... stands there while i hit them to death. Am I a t model to them? Do they die while rolling away, a million miles away from where I am in their gamet? I'm not really sure how the game handles that sort of thing.

I've only fought one dude who was a real loving lagmaster, as in, teleporting around while not in a t pose. I don't really get what causes the t pose thing to start with, maybe it has nothing to do with lag.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Greirat, noooooooo :ohdear:

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

the mage doesn't want to talk to me; and where was the priestess?

Near the entrance to Road of Sacrifices, to the left of the big door that brings you to the lift.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Someone talk me out of doing a luck build character. I was a sucker for the Blueblood Sword in Demon's Souls and here Anri's Straight Sword and the entire Hollow infusion is basically the same thing. I'm thinking primarily luck with some STR for some nice beefy weapon options since I did a DEX build my first time through.

This series has a way with making me brainstorm poo poo way too hard.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If you really want somebody to talk you out of it, Anri's Straight Sword is like half as long as the Blueblood Sword and I've heard Hollow weapons suck!

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Someone talk me out of doing a luck build character. I was a sucker for the Blueblood Sword in Demon's Souls and here Anri's Straight Sword and the entire Hollow infusion is basically the same thing. I'm thinking primarily luck with some STR for some nice beefy weapon options since I did a DEX build my first time through.

This series has a way with making me brainstorm poo poo way too hard.

Anri's Straight Sword hits ~400 AR at +5/40 Luck, is buffable, and has HP regen.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I AM BRAWW posted:

Near the entrance to Road of Sacrifices, to the left of the big door that brings you to the lift.

Is that the guy with the hammer?

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

Is that the guy with the hammer?

Right behind him, there's a chick that is locked up.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I can't believe they actually put Goku hair in this game.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

I AM BRAWW posted:

Right behind him, there's a chick that is locked up.

thanks; how do I free her?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

:negative: so killing the abyss watchers before doing cathedral of the deep really does ruin a few quest lines. Siegward never showed up, nor did patches.

EDIT: but patches showed up at the shrine, does this mean siegward is dead?

Nuebot fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 18, 2016

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

Kurtofan posted:

thanks; how do I free her?

You'll need to buy the Cell key from the woman vendor in the Nexus, then unlock the locked door that is near the Big Rat and the fog in the sewer area. It's right across the bridge from one of the bonfires.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

the tricks to remember is that a lot of times it goes a bit bothways, but you'll never know the times that you were the laglord.

i do know that dudes in the t pose are super loving easy to kill and sometimes i wonder if the host is just seeing something entirely different than what i am seeing. like a lot of times the t pose dude just... stands there while i hit them to death. Am I a t model to them? Do they die while rolling away, a million miles away from where I am in their gamet? I'm not really sure how the game handles that sort of thing.

I've only fought one dude who was a real loving lagmaster, as in, teleporting around while not in a t pose. I don't really get what causes the t pose thing to start with, maybe it has nothing to do with lag.

Yeah, I've never actually seen the T pose. Of my invaders, about half have been teleporting around, clipping through walls and slashing me from across the room.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
The max HP reduction mechanic in the Dungeon is loving lame.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Do the various buffs from spells (Carthus Flame Arc, Magic Weapon, etc) act the same way they did in 2 in that they scale with relevant stats? Or are they a flat amount this time? If it's the latter I can take some side pyromancy with this luck build for some nice profit...

SmashiusClay
Oct 26, 2008

something at your own discretion
Stupid online play question: for PC games, does the game display your steam ID or your character name when you invade/co-op? I'm building a stupid themed character around a bad pun and wouldn't like to feel like anyone is missing out.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

SmashiusClay posted:

Stupid online play question: for PC games, does the game display your steam ID or your character name when you invade/co-op? I'm building a stupid themed character around a bad pun and wouldn't like to feel like anyone is missing out.

Character name.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SmashiusClay posted:

It uses the name you enter for the character. Note however that DS2 and 3 use a very, very silly name censor that can block some absurd stuff. Enter your name here to find out if it will show up properly.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Doctor Spaceman posted:

The max HP reduction mechanic in the Dungeon is loving lame.

Yup. Bait the brand, back off, then punish mercilessly. Or use ranged to headshot them dead.

E: VVVVVV
No shame here, I used a bow and last hit with a sword if needed.

Andrigaar fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Apr 18, 2016

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
If you smash them before they spread their magic dust then your HP doesn't reduce. They're really only a problem in groups. Which is why that one room (you know the one) is terrifying if you don't take it slow.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
It's when they turn red and manage to have line of sight of you, not the dust

They can do it at a really long distance

SmashiusClay
Oct 26, 2008

something at your own discretion

Internet Kraken posted:

It uses the name you enter for the character. Note however that DS2 and 3 use a very, very silly name censor that can block some absurd stuff. Enter your name here to find out if it will show up properly.

Thanks. "Artorias BIG" isn't censored, I've got the Farron greatsword, so now I just need the wolf knight armour and I'm set to be the least useful but coolest looking co-op character in gaming history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

So I just got to Irithyll and first things first, Pontiff seems like a major rear end in a top hat since he only gives the dolls to people he likes. Everyone else he apparently just locks out. Secondly, spooky ghosts what the hell, why are there ghost dudes just walking in circles?