Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Taima posted:

This is a dude who has never been in front of a pair of LSR305s or 308s.

KS posted:

True. That's my upgrade path too and the difference is mind blowing.

.....Just wait until you guys start spending *actual* money on audio equipment. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Uuuh ok but you realize that this is a thread about PC speakers? That generally refers to powered monitors. What do you have that's so much better?

Taima fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 8, 2016

SuperTeeJay
Jun 14, 2015

Are there any good sound bars for PCs? I get my audio fix through the TV with my AVR and floorstanders; I want to keep the PC setup as compact as possible.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

SuperTeeJay posted:

Are there any good sound bars for PCs? I get my audio fix through the TV with my AVR and floorstanders; I want to keep the PC setup as compact as possible.

Nothing that's really worth spending money on. For the most part, you're describing monitors that have special proprietary sound bar attachments (Dell and HP used to make them and possibly still do) and said attachments are almost invariably pretty chintzy and bad.

Honestly, a good pair of compact powered speakers (A2+ or similar...maybe something with Bluetooth like the Mackies) would still be your best bet. They really don't take up that much more room than on-display speakers.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Wait so you're gonna drop a threadshit like that and not even say what your better PC speakers are?

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Electric Bugaloo posted:

.....Just wait until you guys start spending *actual* money on audio equipment. :allears:

LSRs are actually better than most audio equipment that costs "actual money".

Chafe
Dec 17, 2009
I'm not really sure why you're recommending the Audioengine A2+ because they really do sound like garbage and honestly no better than cheap Logitech speakers.

Palladium posted:

LSRs are actually better than most audio equipment that costs "actual money".

Now let's not get ahead of ourselves. The JBL LSR305 are very good because JBL made the correct sacrifices and put their entire budget in getting good drivers + waveguide + electronics. But they're still products that are designed to hit a very specific price point. The JBL LSR305 can exhibit a fair bit of audible tweeter hiss and have something wonky going on with the midrange (which you can sort of EQ out). The JBL LSR308 is actually worse than the JBL LSR305 as their larger size yet same awful cabinet construction actually impacts on bass and midrange clarity when you start playing it relatively loud.

Ignoring overpriced audiophile snake oil for a minute, they're not close to being as good as higher priced products from Adam, Neumann, Mackie or passive speakers from guys like Philharmonic Audio who put the budget into smart crossovers and drivers. But no one really complains about the JBL LSR305's issues as $250/pr active speakers that don't sound like glorified Logitech speakers and behave relatively well in acoustically poor environments aren't exactly common.

Chafe fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Apr 10, 2016

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

teh_Broseph posted:

I think I'm all squared away to set up some DIY bass kickin' to my chair; anyone have advice before I start ordering and setting stuff up purty please?

Gonna be for a VR headset, so planning for headphones to be the main audio. I tried loving around with using the sub out on my sound card to save the money on physical low pass filters, but I don't think it's going to work consistently and end up just being an overall pain in the rear end. I already own the little amp (Amazon decided to send me two; I don't think it would help to use both but throwin' it out in case), hence the cheap crap choice there which I hope is good enough.

I'm looking at buying and chaining up:
Computer->
1/8" splitter-> One out to the headphones, other out to ->
50hz low pass filters ->
Lepei 2024A+ amp ->
2x 8ohm Dayton Puck transducers wired in series ->
My butt (using the surface mount kit)

The few things I'm not sure about - The amp specifies 4-8 ohm impedence and 20W x 2 RMS for the output, does it make sense to do 2x 8 ohm pucks in series into one channel? Or grab 2x 16 ohm pucks into one channel in case it's not enough and want to add 2 more later and still be able to wire it to be in the 4-8 range? Is that resistance per channel - maybe do 2x 8 ohm pucks in series per channel? Uhhh outta my knowledge level.

And cable management - Any words of wisdom on strapping these to a wheeled office chair without the wires being in the way? Chair is on a rug I could run the wires under, dunno if it'd kill the wire to be running over it all the time though.

Thank ya much for any help!

Aight, after dealing with the requisite tinkering bullshit I think I'm pretty well squared away. Some lessons learned and what I settled on if anyone's interested:
Ended up with 4x16 ohm pucks in parallel to one channel. They're stuck to different parts of my chair with these, which I don't really recommend. I started with velcro, failed miserably since the cushiness dissipated too much vibration and the effect was lost. Those adhesive circles are working good enough for me but since they don't fully cover the area the plastic would rattle like mad - had to cut the things in half to cover the edges and cover the rest of the plastic area with electrical tape. I have some of this adhesive stuff on the way but shipping is taking forgoddamnever so I did the cut-in-half-and-tape thing while waiting. To mount 'em on my new-ish office chair that's covered in plastic, had to remove some of the plastic crap to get to the metal frame. Two speakers on the frame near my butt, two on the back. Ones on the back seem to hold on OK after using a blow dryer for some heat and leaving some heavy books on top of them for an hour.
Crossover-wise I skipped buying physical ones and use Voicemeeter Banana to send my audio out to onboard audio (regular speakers plugged in) and a sound card (shaker amp plugged in). One stream goes straight to the regular speakers, another goes out to Voicemeeter's virtual aux, through Cantabile Lite running as a VST host with the EasyQ VST running for some tight control on completely filtering everything but bass out and being able to adjust specific frequency ranges to balance responsiveness, which then goes back into Voicemeeter which sends that audio path out to the sound card. Had to put a 35ms delay on the regular speaker output to sync things up; bugs me 'cause I thought I could get that much lower but it's good enough and I got tired of screwing with it.

All in all a sorta frustrating but interesting project that came out pretty cheap, and Star Wars Battlefront is pretty dang groovy with the setup. On the agenda to order another pair of the pucks to attach under my keyboard tray for joystick shakin' in Elite when my Rift comes in. Hopefully going to stick them in the other amp channel and use L/R balance in software to control chair/joystick volume balance.

e: Parallel not series

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 13, 2016

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You might be better off connecting two pucks in paralell to each channel, if you want more power.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy
Thank ya, and whoops, meant I have 'em in parallel in one channel, so they're hitting the amp's lowest rating of 4 ohms. Don't think I have a lot of headroom but it's enough juice for me. Saving the second channel for when I order another pair so I can adjust volume on 'em without doing a second amp.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

So hey, I just got some JBL LSR308s, and am running them on a Scarlett 2i4 audio interface over the balanced outputs (which are +4dBV). With the volume on the monitors cranked, the volume on the 2i4 cranked (and at full Monitor), and the volume on my PC maxxed, they're a good bit quieter than I'd expect when on +4dBV input sensitivity. Is there any harm in running them at the -10dBV sensitivity for a fairly significant volume boost other than possibly clipping if I push the PC & Scarlett volume too high?

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Hello friends!

Can anyone recommend a pair of speakers that would meet the following criteria:

* 2.0;
* Small footprint - ideally no longer than 4-5" (maybe 6") in any dimension;
* Better quality than your standard Logitech or Creative crap, but nothing too high-end (they will only be used a few times a fortnight for basic listening);
* Max $150, but would prefer lower.

Thanks for your time. :)

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Crescendo posted:

Hello friends!

* 2.0;
* Better quality than your standard Logitech or Creative crap, but nothing too high-end (they will only be used a few times a fortnight for basic listening);

I don't want to be *that* guy but I'm pretty sure you are asking for the impossible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is probably the closest you're going to get:

http://www.amazon.com/M-Audio-AV42-...ds=m-audio+av42

Only 3" woofers though, so don't expect much bass.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Crescendo posted:

Hello friends!

* 2.0;

At that price point you might want to consider a t-amp and some compact passive speakers.

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-lp-2020a-tripath-class-t-hi-fi-audio-mini-amplifier-with-power-supply--310-300

http://www.parts-express.com/pure-acoustics-dreambox-3-2-way-compact-hi-fi--bookshelf-speaker-pair-black--303-530#lblProductDetails
http://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-sat-bk-3-3-4-2-way-satellite-speaker-pair-black--300-670#lblProductDetails

Might be better options for compact passive speakers, I just looked at what parts express had.

Crescendo
Apr 24, 2005

Strafe those atheistic degenerates. Color them green with lots of holes.
Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I appreciate the response.

I didn't know if it was a tall order or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Crescendo posted:

Thanks for the ideas, everyone. I appreciate the response.

I didn't know if it was a tall order or not, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

My $100 Bose Companion 2 2.0 speakers are small, look nice, and sound good if you don't turn them up too loud, and they don't annoy neighbors at apartments with thin walls.

AutoFool
Sep 28, 2004

I am the Power
Just purchased and set up the Mackie CR4's that were recommended. All I'm gonna say is; I didn't know music sounded like this, and it pushed me to buy tickets for my first concert (not 100% sure that one is related to the other).

Under the amazon reviews, one user mentioned patching this subwoofer in to make up for the lack of bass. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002KVQBA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What do you guys think? Any better suggestions? Sorry if this was answered recently, I got pretty excited after listening to some of my favorite songs.

Edit: For those of you who think I should have gone with JBL LSR305's and such, well I completely understand if they are as big an upgrade from the Mackie's as the Mackie's were from the general computer speakers I've been using all my life (logitech), and I can't wait until the time is right to get a "proper" crazy audio set up all my own.

AutoFool fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 7, 2016

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

PSW10 is a very good music sub for the price. The 505 is the next direct upgrade.

I have both.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Amazon has pairs of JBL LSR305s for $186.99 on Amazon Warehouse. They come repackaged but you will typically be getting perfect condition units, as they generally note any damage, no matter how slight.

I buy Amazon Warehouse stuff all the time and totally recommend it. Most of the time the items are totally new unless specifically noted.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00F1DEI8G/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1462762637&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+lsr+305&condition=used

Taima fucked around with this message at 04:01 on May 9, 2016

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
At the same time they are only $220 brand new for a pair as well.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

The Amazon Warehouse versions are all gone.

HOWEVER the new price for the base pair is $209.99!!! If you were previously on the fence, get on that shiz.

Of course it's Amazon so prices can and do change.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00F1DEI8G/sr=8-1/qid=1462762637/ref=olp_product_details?_encoding=UTF8&me=&qid=1462762637&sr=8-1

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

http://camelcamelcamel.com/JBL-LSR305-Professional-Studio-Monitor/product/B00F1DEI8G

Seems like a good deal.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
I need a recommendation for a decent powered subwoofer for my PC, preferably for around or less than $100. I'm going to pair it with my Polk TSI100s and Audioengine N22 amp. Previously I was using the Polk PSW10 but I have since moved that to my home theater setup and have been without bass since. I was considering getting another PSW10 but I've had mine for about 5 years now so there must be something equivalent or better for around the same price at this point.

I'm currently considering one of these Yamahas: http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YST-SW012-8-Inch-Front-Firing-Subwoofer/dp/B000TQ4D8K/ref=zg_bs_172568_4

Or for $40 more this JBL: http://www.amazon.com/JBL-150-Watt-Powered-Subwoofer-Black/dp/B00DUHW6UW/ref=zg_bs_172568_19

Thoughts? This will mainly be for listening to music and playing games. Thanks!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

AFAIK, the PSW10 is still the best in its price range.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T

KillHour posted:

AFAIK, the PSW10 is still the best in its price range.

From what I've been reading, that seems to be the case. I guess I'll save up for a few weeks and upgrade my home theater sub then move the PSW10 back to my PC.

Thanks!

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
How much of a risk am I running buying an American PSW10 on ebay to use in England? I have audioengine a2s, and none of the thread/wirecutter recommended subs are available over here.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Don't bother. There are tons and tons of good subs available on the used market.

I'm using two Dali SWA-12s that I bought second hand. They were slightly more expensive than a PSW10 (though probably cheaper than importing one), but they're also significantly better subs.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Cool, thanks. What other names should I be looking for, is eBay the place to look, and will the outs from the A2s be able to talk to it or will I need a separate amp/DAC/whatever?

Man, speakers are overwhelming.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sub talk: I got a used SVS SB12-Plus after the mono amp I had for my DIY subs started to get cranky. Replacing the amp would have cost nearly as much as the SVS, so it was really a no-brainer.

The only regret I have is not getting the vented version :v:

Possibly unpopular opinion: Why not spend the money (if you have it) on the real deal right off the bat and then don't worry about having to replace it for the next 5-10 years?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

tarbrush posted:

Cool, thanks. What other names should I be looking for, is eBay the place to look, and will the outs from the A2s be able to talk to it or will I need a separate amp/DAC/whatever?

Man, speakers are overwhelming.

The Audioengine S8 is not the best subwoofer ever, but it's decent enough.

Otherwise, I would go for names like B&W, Dali, Dynaudio, Earthquake, Gale, JBL, SVS, Velodyne, but these are absolutely not your only options.

You're just looking for sub to match the A2s, so it needs a frequency range that extends a bit higher than if you were using bigger speakers. So you should probably be looking for something with a 8" driver, one of the smaller models from the companies I mentioned.

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever
I couldn't find a thread on this topic specifically but it might be in the same ballpark.

I'm looking at some small portable speakers. Using while outside with friends from someone phone or at a hotel getting ready for the night.
I've seen speakers for 10 bux and up, but many of the better ones are a bit to big to tug alone for just sitting in a park drinking beer type of vibe.

Any recs for some speaker around the size of a can of coke with Aux in and/or bluetooth?

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

UE Roll

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
Can anyone recommend me a DAC with optical in for my pair of LSR305s? Would like to switch between my PC and PS4 if possible.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I don't know of any reasonably affordable DACs with dual Toslink input, so maybe go with a FiiO D03K and a Toslink switch box?

Something like this: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=13345

E: Now that I think about it, a second-hand Cambridge Dacmagic would be a good option, too. Not the Dacmagic 100, that only has one Toslink input.

The Dacmagic Plus has a built-in volume control, so that's probably your best option.

E2: If you don't mind using one Toslink and one SPDIF connection, there are a lot more options to choose from.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 23, 2016

madjdmyo
Jan 10, 2007
I'm thinking I only need 1 USB in for the PC + 1 Toslink for the PS4 and preferably balanced XLR/1/4 output? I've been using unbalanced 1/4" to RCA with a Asus Xonar STX and it gets quite noisy. Preferably something under $200 if possible? Thanks for your help.

madjdmyo fucked around with this message at 16:52 on May 23, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

In that case, a second-hand Dacmagic is probably your best option. Audiophile weenies are constantly upgrading their gear, so I'm sure you'll be able to find one at a decent price :)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

madjdmyo posted:

I'm thinking I only need 1 USB in for the PC + 1 Toslink for the PS4 and preferably balanced XLR/1/4 output? I've been using unbalanced 1/4" to RCA with a Asus Xonar STX and it gets quite noisy. Preferably something under $200 if possible? Thanks for your help.

Audioengine D1 is your cheapest option AFAIK. I bought a used one for $80 and it's been working great with my LSR305s.

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe
I have M-Audio AV-40s and while I love them, I want to upgrade to something nicer. What's a good step up from these?

I listen to a variety of music, nothing in particular, but one thing I do want is a slightly larger soundstage and better lows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

unpurposed posted:

I have M-Audio AV-40s and while I love them, I want to upgrade to something nicer. What's a good step up from these?

I listen to a variety of music, nothing in particular, but one thing I do want is a slightly larger soundstage and better lows.
If you want better lows, you'll probably want a 2.1 system, in which case the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is still among the best.