Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Yeah, I can't be mad at Foxworthy himself since I remember growing up in Mississippi and watching it with my more country extended family and us all enjoying the pretty harmless jokes. You knew going in that there'd be one or two innocuous jokes that you'd get to elbow your uncle or cousin and be like "haha yeah you totally did race mattresses down a hill that one time," but nobody's feelings got hurt. I don't remember any jokes that were straight up, "lol we're on food stamps and we're not sure who my cousin's dad is," which would be relatable for more people across the board but wouldn't be as goofy or harmless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Goofy and harmless humor is good because it's something the whole family can share. It's not my cup of tea, but after listening to Louis Anderson talking about why he does what he does despite having plenty of great darker material got me to respect it a lot more. I grew up watching stuff like Monty Python with my family but that's a bit bloody and adult for most parents to expose their kids to

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
My hometown's website's history section mentions the time Bob Hope stopped in town for like an hour to switch planes at our tiny private airport(single runway, mainly for crop dusters) in the 60s. It does not mention the multiple times Larry the Cable Guy has done filming for his movies here. Maybe it's because we're a farm town in Illinois and not the Sourth, but even we don't wanna be associated with him.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Pharmaskittle posted:

Yeah, I can't be mad at Foxworthy himself since I remember growing up in Mississippi and watching it with my more country extended family and us all enjoying the pretty harmless jokes. You knew going in that there'd be one or two innocuous jokes that you'd get to elbow your uncle or cousin and be like "haha yeah you totally did race mattresses down a hill that one time," but nobody's feelings got hurt. I don't remember any jokes that were straight up, "lol we're on food stamps and we're not sure who my cousin's dad is," which would be relatable for more people across the board but wouldn't be as goofy or harmless.

Well, like, the joke I feel like I remember is one about having a small tv sitting on top of a bigger broke tv and spending a ton of time playing with rabbit ears with aluminum foil on them. Or the knob breaking off the tv and having to change channels with a plier. Because those were just things that i as an urban poor experienced and could laugh that "rednecks" apparently did it too.

And I might even be confusing Foxworthy with an old DL Hughley skit because I think that's how similar their early "poor living" bits were in some respects.

Also, yes, I'm old and once had a TV where you had to change channels manually with a little knob.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
You guys sure do take the "Punching up, punching down" framework as gospel in here.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Punch around
Punch around
Punch up, punch up
And punch down

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Wulfolme posted:

You guys sure do take the "Punching up, punching down" framework as gospel in here.

Because when you watch comedy punching down, it's a weird feeling. Nothing humorous about it. If I saw crowd leaving I wouldn't be thinking "haha, what babies." It's a fine line I suppose, makes it more interesting to discuss. If conservatives in comedy weren't so drat prone to it...

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Everyone knows that the right formula is to punch up twice, punch down twice, punch once to the left, then once to the right and then B A Start.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Wulfolme posted:

It's a pretty well respected approach to analyzing why some stuff is funny and some is off-putting, and figuring out trends and whatnot. It's not really news, comedians have been working with it in mind for decades.

Nobody would pay to see a hobo have the wheels of their shopping cart broken in front of them, but slashing a billionaire's tire could be a throwaway gag in any G movie you care to name.

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Epic High Five posted:

It's a pretty well respected approach to analyzing why some stuff is funny and some is off-putting, and figuring out trends and whatnot. It's not really news, comedians have been working with it in mind for decades.

Nobody would pay to see a hobo have the wheels of their shopping cart broken in front of them, but slashing a billionaire's tire could be a throwaway gag in any G movie you care to name.

Plenty of people would, in fact, pay to see that. Hell, they might even reelect him.

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

The Larch posted:

Plenty of people would, in fact, pay to see that. Hell, they might even reelect him.

Wasn't there some Hawaiian rep that went around bashing homeless people's shopping carts for publicity?

The Larch
Jan 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

FetusSlapper posted:

Wasn't there some Hawaiian rep that went around bashing homeless people's shopping carts for publicity?

Yes.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

To be fair, the Daily Show used to do a lot of location pieces where they ridiculed regular GOP voters or small-time local activists. Samantha Bee does it now. At least they do it by letting them hang themselves with their own words, but it can be a tad patronizing.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

holy poo poo

beatlegs posted:

To be fair, the Daily Show used to do a lot of location pieces where they ridiculed regular GOP voters or small-time local activists. Samantha Bee does it now. At least they do it by letting them hang themselves with their own words, but it can be a tad patronizing.

uh... I mean... any regular news outlet at a trump rally does the same thing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Wulfolme posted:

Because the GOP LOVES beating up on minorities and poor people, yet is mostly supported by poor whites.

Also: Pretends to be the most Christian political group while advocating Bootstrapping.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Wulfolme posted:

It's a pretty decent framework for viewing what catches on as popular comedy in modern times. It's just an explanation as to why conservatives have failed so far at creating the conservative Daily Show. Do you have a different explanation?

Jurgan posted:

I'm not sure they see it as punching down, so much as they are disoriented about up and down. If you believe that welfare queens are living high off the work of good white people, then making fun of those people would be punching up. If you believe the gay mafia is persecuting Christians, then mocking gay people is punching up.

Yeah, they totally don't see it as punching down. However, most of society generally does. So it doesn't really catch on because it gets repetitive very quickly or people find it distasteful. The difference on the liberal side is that irreverence is generally okay depending on context and message. There's gay comedians that make jokes about being gay, but if a conservative straight comedian were to make those same jokes it would be condemned. Context is important.

That's one of the things that confuses conservatives about comedy. They have a poor understanding of context because so much of the conservative ideology that gets talked about by conservative politicians is deliberately contextless. Ask a conservative person, "under what circumstances should taxes be raised?" and watch them squirm. The mantra that they've been told is "none," but as a general economic matter there are some circumstances that even Hayekians would agree with where taxes could be too low.

Conservatism wasn't always like this, but it has become this due to the rise of religious fundamentalism in America and the GOP's reliance on it. Religious fundamentalists in America generally take a "no exceptions" approach to everything, even outside of abortion. They're applying this fundamentalism to public policy matters, and that's how you get Sam Brownback's Kansas. That's how you get people protesting a work of fiction like The DaVinci Code.

So when you remove context as a tool for understanding the world, a lot of stuff becomes very confusing. People watch a Chris Rock comedy bit, ignore the context, and get the idea that it should be okay for them as a white person to use certain words. They're told they can't, though.

This is why the really die hard conservative comedians like Kelsey Grammer fail. Good comedy requires a context. Jeff Foxworthy is making fun of "rednecks," but the context of him managing his persona such that it seems as though he is living in that world makes it funny. Larry David would have a really hard time making that same material come off as funny.

The kind of cringe-worthy poo poo you see in that "Right to Laugh" trailer is caused by them trying to apply comedy, a medium that is inextricably tied to the concept of context, to conservatism which, in its current modern form, is completely devoid of context. So their jokes end up tracing back to only a handful of contextless conservative precepts, and audiences notice that. There's only so many ways to dress up, "Obama pee pee doo doo bad president," before all but the most die-hard partisans lose interest.

So you can find good comedy done by conservatives, but you're gonna have a hard time finding conservative comedy in America in 2016. When conservatism wakes up from its decades long fundie bender they could have a shot at it, but not right now.

ErIog fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Apr 18, 2016

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Two thoughts

1) A lot of conservatives think that their shitbag humor is "punching up". These people believe that white christians are oppressed and put upon and that lashing out at BLM activists and Hitlery Kkklinton and Moochelle Obongo really is them fighting the power.

2) Anyone who thinks there's no market for "punching down" comedy should remember the late-80s/early-90s, when Andrew "Dice" Clay and Sam Kinison were pop culture bestriding titans and Howard Stern cultivated his enormous fanbase. Heck, even in the early 80s you had Eddie Murphy's breakthrough standup albums and specials built almost entirely around his hatred of gay people. This era was also, coincidentally enough, right about when panicking about "Political Correctness" running amok suddenly became a thing.

I mean, one of Kinison's signature bits was to mock Ethopians dying in their horrible famine for being too loving stupid to move where there's food instead of the sandy wasteland where they currently live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyb0vPtaj0

"Punching down" can be a very lucrative career move.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

ErIog posted:

It's a pretty decent framework for viewing what catches on as popular comedy in modern times. It's just an explanation as to why conservatives have failed so far at creating the conservative Daily Show. Do you have a different explanation?

Yeah, they totally don't see it as punching down. However, most of society generally does. So it doesn't really catch on because it gets repetitive very quickly or people find it distasteful. The difference on the liberal side is that irreverence is generally okay depending on context and message. There's gay comedians that make jokes about being gay, but if a conservative straight comedian were to make those same jokes it would be condemned. Context is important.

That's one of the things that confuses conservatives about comedy. They have a poor understanding of context because so much of the conservative ideology that gets talked about by conservative politicians is deliberately contextless. Ask a conservative person, "under what circumstances should taxes be raised?" and watch them squirm. The mantra that they've been told is "none," but as a general economic matter there are some circumstances that even Hayekians would agree with where taxes could be too low.

Conservatism wasn't always like this, but it has become this due to the rise of religious fundamentalism in America and the GOP's reliance on it. Religious fundamentalists in America generally take a "no exceptions" approach to everything, even outside of abortion. They're applying this fundamentalism to public policy matters, and that's how you get Sam Brownback's Kansas. That's how you get people protesting a work of fiction like The DaVinci Code.

So when you remove context as a tool for understanding the world, a lot of stuff becomes very confusing. People watch a Chris Rock comedy bit, ignore the context, and get the idea that it should be okay for them as a white person to use certain words. They're told they can't, though.

This is why the really die hard conservative comedians like Kelsey Grammer fail. Good comedy requires a context. Jeff Foxworthy is making fun of "rednecks," but the context of him managing his persona such that it seems as though he is living in that world makes it funny. Larry David would have a really hard time making that same material come off as funny.

The kind of cringe-worthy poo poo you see in that "Right to Laugh" trailer is caused by them trying to apply comedy, a medium that is inextricably tied to the concept of context, to conservatism which, in its current modern form, is completely devoid of context. So their jokes end up tracing back to only a handful of contextless conservative precepts, and audiences notice that. There's only so many ways to dress up, "Obama pee pee doo doo bad president," before all but the most die-hard partisans lose interest.

So you can find good comedy done by conservatives, but you're gonna have a hard time finding conservative comedy in America in 2016. When conservatism wakes up from its decades long fundie bender they could have a shot at it, but not right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2BKVsjtnWs

The full film is available online btw, I recommend everybody watch it as a lesson in context and how critical it is to humor

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Heck half the front page articles on this loving site probably qualify as "punching down" humor.
Also that Hawaiian politician doesn't surprise me in the least given that Rudy Giuliani made a name for himself "cleaning up New York" by ordering the NYPD to brutalize homeless (and black) people.

Dr. Killjoy fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 18, 2016

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
Now that it's been mentioned, I think it really is more about the reverence. There's no room for sarcasm, self deprecation, or making light of something if you think it's sacred. I crack a harmless joke around my dad and suddenly he'll get serious and tell me something like, terrorism isn't a joke, or something like that.

ETA: If making fun of those yokels occupying Malhuer and the death of Tarpman isn't punching down, I don't know what is, and I thought all of that was incredibly funny. I feel guilty about it, but I'd be lying if I didn't think making fun of those people wasn't entertaining. It's sad.

Bast Relief fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Apr 18, 2016

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bast Relief posted:

Now that it's been mentioned, I think it really is more about the reverence. There's no room for sarcasm, self deprecation, or making light of something if you think it's sacred. I crack a harmless joke around my dad and suddenly he'll get serious and tell me something like, terrorism isn't a joke, or something like that.

ETA: If making fun of those yokels occupying Malhuer and the death of Tarpman isn't punching down, I don't know what is, and I thought all of that was incredibly funny. I feel guilty about it, but I'd be lying if I didn't think making fun of those people wasn't entertaining. It's sad.

To be fair, in the case of SovCits it's usually about their often self-inflicted circumstances from buying into an incoherent semi-magical view of laws that was started by a racist conman and the unshakable arrogance they show despite constantly being proven wrong when put to the test. Speaking to the "context" argument, these people are more often than not thoroughly unsympathetic thanks to their cowardly, bullying antics and fairly common racist screeds. It is important to remember that some of them are just poor or mentally ill people who were brainwashed or raised under a deluded authoritarian worldview, but their behavior does leave the bulk of them fairly open to mockery.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Heck half the front page articles on this loving site probably qualify as "punching down" humor.
Also that Hawaiian politician doesn't surprise me in the least given that Rudy Giuliani made a name for himself "cleaning up New York" by ordering the NYPD to brutalize homeless (and black) people.

Goon are nerds therefore it's punching to the side and up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

FMguru posted:

Two thoughts

1) A lot of conservatives think that their shitbag humor is "punching up". These people believe that white christians are oppressed and put upon and that lashing out at BLM activists and Hitlery Kkklinton and Moochelle Obongo really is them fighting the power.

2) Anyone who thinks there's no market for "punching down" comedy should remember the late-80s/early-90s, when Andrew "Dice" Clay and Sam Kinison were pop culture bestriding titans and Howard Stern cultivated his enormous fanbase. Heck, even in the early 80s you had Eddie Murphy's breakthrough standup albums and specials built almost entirely around his hatred of gay people. This era was also, coincidentally enough, right about when panicking about "Political Correctness" running amok suddenly became a thing.

I mean, one of Kinison's signature bits was to mock Ethopians dying in their horrible famine for being too loving stupid to move where there's food instead of the sandy wasteland where they currently live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMyb0vPtaj0

"Punching down" can be a very lucrative career move.

Ugh, how dumb can someone be? "Move where the food is?" Yes, there are so many fertile places just dying to take in starving refugees. Also, louder=/=funny.

Bast Relief posted:

The people occupying the wildlife refuge were heavily armed and prevented tax paying citizens from visiting the park they paid for. So I'm not sure if they count as "down." A lot of racists are like that- they may be individually pathetic, but they're fighting on the side of centuries of oppression. So while I wouldn't, for instance, mock them for talking talking funny or being ugly, I'd have no qualms mocking their beliefs or anything they do to hurt people.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I support Obama making fun of Fox News because they truely do have more power over the direction this country has been moving these last seven years than he has.

:smithicide:

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Dr Christmas posted:

I support Obama making fun of Fox News because they truely do have more power over the direction this country has been moving these last seven years than he has.

:smithicide:

Talk radio is worse, though, because the vitriol is in plain sight 24/7. At least Fox puts an editorial show on every now and then where they pretend to have an opposing viewpoint.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, um...I don't think anyone here was making fun of the Teahadists up in Oregon for being poor and speaking with a Southern accent. We were doing so because they were ignorant mouthbreathers who have a weird, nonsensical and contradictory ideology, and were threatening to MURDER people.

And even if many of them happened to be lower income brackets, they support people and policies that would only strengthen the power of the wealthy class.

Also, Seth Meyers' "A closer look" segments are surprisingly good. Not in that they're that funny (they usually aren't), but for a mainstream late night T.V. program, they did fairly deep into political subjects.

Kansas's failure with trickle-down economics:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xliMwipXoiA

Voter ID laws:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfJeuk9Qizw

Republican fuckery with Planned Parenthood:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHBdLC4AD04

I'm not a huge fan of Seth Meyers, but I always did enjoy his Weekend Update segments, so these skits work well with him.

Of course, he has the worst youtube subscriptions numbers as well. :smith:

RE: Trevor Noah/Larry Wilmore. I was against both of these guys (NOT cause I'm a racist :argh: ) at first, but as time went on, they've started to grow on me. Neither of them are as good as their predecessors, but it seems they've both finally started finding their voice. Noah is actually a really funny guy, and his impressions are pretty drat good, imo. My main problem with him though is that he sucks at interviews. The nice thing about Jon Stewart was that he seemed to actually be very well versed in the subject of politics and history and such, and so would do a good job grilling his guests. Noah, on the other hand doesn't appear to know much beyond what the material his writers provide him.

Wilmore is...okay. I can watch his show and I enjoy it for the most part, but I don't find him particularly funny. I remembered being flabbergasted that of all the correspondents CC could have used to replace Colbert, they went with him.

And Jordan Klepper needs way more love.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
How many of the guys who occupied the refuge were some form of ranch-owner who were angry that they didn't have enough land again?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Der Waffle Mous posted:

How many of the guys who occupied the refuge were some form of ranch-owner who were angry that they didn't have enough land again?

iirc the bundy ranchers are all millionaires at the very least

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What is punching up/down

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Boris Galerkin posted:

What is punching up/down

The direction refers to the position of the group you are mocking relative to your social standing.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
All that talk of Ron White and no mention that he's running for president this year?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I hope someone takes him seriously. How long has it been since we had a smoking president?

More importantly, aol still exists?! Tell them I still have all their CDs, but they can't have them back because I'm not finished with them yet.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Puntification posted:

The direction refers to the position of the group you are mocking relative to your social standing.

For example, a bunch of white dudes going "how about those trannies, huh?" Then high fiving each other is punching down pretty badly. Whereas a woman making fun of how lovely the Koch Brothers are is punching up.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Ragnar34 posted:

I hope someone takes him seriously. How long has it been since we had a smoking president?

More importantly, aol still exists?! Tell them I still have all their CDs, but they can't have them back because I'm not finished with them yet.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Jurgan posted:

Ugh, how dumb can someone be? "Move where the food is?" Yes, there are so many fertile places just dying to take in starving refugees. Also, louder=/=funny.

Sam Kinison was an rear end in a top hat and never funny.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Besides the Bundy's, I believe only "Tarp Man" Finicum owned a ranch, and his main income was from housing foster children. The remainder were all either ex-military on disability or (more often) unemployed militia hobbyists. I'm not exaggerating, trying to find employment records for this group is depressing. It's often transitory work or something so low level that it allows them to run away and play revolution when they feel like it. Jason Patrick was a roofer, Ryan Payne let his electrician license expire, Sandy Anderson was a gas station attendant, Sean Anderson owns an outdoor sportsman shop, Brian Cavalier claims to work for the Bundy's (but he also claims he was a Marine, which was disproven), Pete Santilli is a youtube radio host, and John Ritzheimer lives off disability and his wife's paychecks. Miserable bunch of unlovable losers.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I think early Sam Kinison was very funny. His whole character was that he was a sad sack piece of poo poo who had no confidence. That's why his set ups were said in a meek quiet way, and the punchlines were loud screeches. They were things he would never say in real life because he was a loser. The problem is that as he got really famous I think he started to believe his whole persona and thought he was this brilliant Rockstar badass.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

Knight posted:

John Ritzheimer lives off disability and his wife's paychecks. Miserable bunch of unlovable losers.

quote:

John Ritzheimer lives off disability and his wife's paychecks.

quote:

lives off disability

Is there any way we could get :ironicat: combined with :psyboom:?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Mantis42 posted:

Sam Kinison was an rear end in a top hat and never funny.

Kinison was awesome.

His takes on Religion and marriage were hilarious. His timing and ability to command a stage were impecable. He's a legend. After the coke took over and he began to see himself as some sort of a rock star, the material suffered, and certainly the gay jokes would never play today and have aged horribly, but the same could be said of any relevant comedian (Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Red Foxx). As times change and perceptions evolve, things that once seemed funny maybe aren't so much anymore, like the sexism of Henny Youngman for instance.

Even what's acceptable on this board and what's considered funny have morphed and changed over the years. poo poo people posted only 10 years ago is probatable now.

I think this is third comedian derail we've had in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Tim Allen's Last Man Standing is worshipped by the right wing especially Crowder.

If you have the time and want to learn how insanely homophobic and sexist the show is, a user had taken on a dare to watch every season of the show and review each episode.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3632901