Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"Some rear end in a top hat just threw a bomb at us!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Leavemywife posted:

Are you ready for the best line we've seen yet? And probably Yapping Eevee's favorite?

:allears:
Pictured: Something only a cartoon-level villain would ever say. :allears:

Austin S
Jul 2, 2005

Rangpur posted:

In the next dungeon? I don't recall it being about puzzles so much as wandering in circles for ages.

Hoo yeah. The upcoming "mazes" are not kind to the SSLP format. You might want to take the opportunity to wax philosophic on the nature of time travel or some other tangent, because the next major area's dungeons are even less exciting, visually.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Leavemywife posted:

...So, your camp was blown up, a tunnel is revealed, and you got here in about eight seconds. I'm honestly more interested in the last part of that statement.

The Lone Badger posted:

"Some rear end in a top hat just threw a bomb at us!"

Worth pointing out that the game box came with a map showing the world of Evermore. On the map, Nobilia is surrounded by the ocean on THREE SIDES and has miles of empty desert directly to the south and southeast. You really had to throw an active explosive to the southwest, towards the only other inhabited areas on the continent? Seriously Tiny?

:ughh:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Tiny has Big Muscles. Tiny has Big Vocabulary. Tiny does not have degree in aeronautical engineering. Tiny just throw.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

EponymousMrYar posted:

Tiny has Big Muscles. Tiny has Big Vocabulary. Tiny does not have degree in aeronautical engineering. Tiny just throw.

Tiny only inaccurate rubber-band-powered catapult in game of life.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

MagusofStars posted:

Worth pointing out that the game box came with a map showing the world of Evermore. On the map, Nobilia is surrounded by the ocean on THREE SIDES and has miles of empty desert directly to the south and southeast. You really had to throw an active explosive to the southwest, towards the only other inhabited areas on the continent? Seriously Tiny?

:ughh:

Hey you don't know what those crosswinds are like. Deserts get serious updraft.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Twenty: LET'S MEET THE BEST DOGGIE

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we saw York be a moron, kicked the rear end of a weaksauce boss, and then Tiny blew up Horace's camp, but revealed some new tunnels. With that said, let's boogie.

Edit: It's also DoubleNegative's birthday, so be sure to wish him a happy one!

Before we get to the teleporter maze coming up, there's one stop to make.

If you didn't pick up Drain before this, then too bad! It's gone forever. Double Drain requires 2 Ethanol and 2 Vinegar, while regular Drain required 1 Ethanol and 2 Roots. I'll try and remember to show it off at some point.

With that done, let's get back to Horace's camp.

Horace's Camp is now empty; Madronius is no longer available to purchase ingredients from.

To move on, we head to the south of the camp, past that cool statue.

Where we can now walk onto the dry riverbed; if we head south, we can visit the Great Pyramid again, but there's no reason to do so now.

We'll be heading north, instead.

We encounter a couple of Mad Monks here, but, as per usual, they ain't poo poo.

Hey, what's this over here?

Alright, so, we fell off a cliff. Things can't get much worse.

...Oof. That qualifies as worse.

But not as bad as this lovely dungeon.

Not only is it a maze, one with limited visibility and plenty of enemies, but it's a teleporter dungeon on top of it all.

And it is a poo poo hole. Let me tell you.

DEAR CHRIST WHAT'S THAT BEHIND ME

Ahh! Kill the horrid motherfucker!

USE THE BEEEEEEEES

So, those are the Oglins. They only have 120 HP, so they're not very tough. But they toss out 150 EXP and 100 jewels a piece, so they're entirely worth murderizing.

Also, that teleporter animation is pretty fuckin' cool.

But that's about the only cool thing about this dungeon. It's one of those that isn't very hard, if you follow the right path (i.e., look that poo poo up like someone who isn't a dumbass), and isn't very hard, even if you wander like a moron, but it's tedious. I'd much rather something be actually difficult as opposed to tedious as hell.

In my test run, I decided to just blitz through this dungeon. In my actual recording, I decided to check out what it's like not to cheese through this dungeon.

Don't do that. It's a lovely idea.

A very lovely idea.

Imagine if you just made a plate of nachos.

You pull them out and see that the cheese is all melted, the beef is still sizzling, and you can feel the heat radiating off it, as you know you need to wait for it to cool.

And then you decide, "gently caress this poo poo, I'm eating."

You pick up a chip that is just drenched in cheese, knowing your fingerprints are toasting off, you still bite into it.

You feel your tongue start to broil in your mouth, your molars begin to melt, and your throat constricts as it tries to kick out the food that is literally broasting it.

You try to spit it out, but your mouth is too busy panicking to react to what your brain is trying to tell it.

And then you swallow that magma-hot chip and feel it as it slides down your throat, scouring the sensitive skin, forming and bursting blisters as it falls into your gut.

It sinks into your belly, boiling the acid inside, slowly melting a hole in your stomach, as you scramble for a cool drink it hopes that it will repair the damage done by your stupidity and impulsiveness has caused.

But then you keep eating, thinking that it'll be over soon, it can't keep going, that you'll soon be done and can go back to some semblance of a normal life.

Oh, and if you think you can be clever and just Wing your way out of there...

I'm not sure if Escape would work, either, but I can't imagine so. I've also literally never cast Escape, so...

Anywho, when you get here, you're pretty much at the end. Another three Call Beads go on the pile. I think I have 13 or 14 now.

From that pot, go left and up to get to the boss of this area, and the final boss of Antiqua.

:ducksiren:That's right, we're about to hit a new area!:ducksiren:

That's right, we're fighting a tentacle monster!

With 400 HP, these fellows aren't too tough. They also drop 500 EXP a pop, which is very, very, :swoon:

Now, since I wandered around that dungeon for far too long, I decided that Aquagoth here can kiss the fattest part of my rear end.

He has 2500 HP and is eating enough Crush and Fireball to feed the population of Kenya into the next decade.

He can attack with Corrosion, Confound, and Lightning Storm, but...Well, he's still not dangerous. This is about all the respect he deserves, and I don't feel guilty for doing this to him.

We also got 5,000 EXP from this fight, which is also very, very :swoon:

An interesting thing here is that if you come into this fight with six bits of Honey (which should be the max for how many you can carry), you'll still get this bit of Honey and will have seven.

If anyone says anything about lotion, I will find where you live, find your family, and slap your dog.

And then we're flung out of a well into an area with someone who looks like they only know about the Elizabethan era from lovely, low quality, high school plays that thought they needed to perform knock-off versions of Shakespeare plays.

You didn't just glance in and see the horrible squid monster?

Guess not.

I don't think you'd believe me if I told you.

I s'pose the Cliff Notes version is better than telling the entire story. I mean, if you told this guy that you wandered into a tunnel into some sort of Greek/Egyptian/Roman world and wound up in Ye Olde Englande, he would probably just push you back into the well.

...Crafty? From what I saw, they were mostly flaming and smushed.

I can only hear this in some sort of silly Cockney accent, like someone who has an idea of how the English sound, but no idea of how to actually even begin sounding like that.

"...I killed about forty of them, so I'm sure we could find some remains and find out."

Oh, the best dog is down there. My favorite dog. The most :3: of dogs.

The writers must have known what they were doing here, the sons of bitches.

:syoon:

It's soooo amazing! :swoon:

:swoon:

You're drat right.

In the third of four areas, York.

The Queen, eh? I wonder what she was back in Podunk. Secretary, prostitute, cashier, librarian, bounty hunter--At this point, none of those choices would surprise me.

We'll get to finding the Queen, then! She's bound to know a thing or two! Or at least be able to point us in the right direction for some new weaponry...

Sure do, bud.

And with that, folks, we're going to finish off this update. Next time, we'll start to explore Ivor Tower and see what's going on 'round these parts!

Stay tuned!

Leave fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Apr 18, 2016

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The UI betrays Zach's change before the game shows it off! :argh: Though a magenta poodle is pretty amazing as far as transformations go.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
A poodle? No no no nooooooooooooooope

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Ah poodles, the most vicious and vindictive of the dog breeds.

Also this area always caused me a headache when I went through it. I can't remember why though...

Roro
Oct 9, 2012

HOO'S HEAD GOES ALL THE WAY AROUND?
A little late here, but hold the loving phone! York may be a dumbass, but you're just going to let Zach off the hook for not realising Evil Horace was a fake? He's a dog, he could've sniffed him out!

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

The poodle rules so hard. His bark is a tiny, high-pitched yelp that deals a 900 HP bite.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Poodles can be pretty vicious, man.

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?
I sure could go for some hand lotion for my way-too-dry hands right about now :v:

you can't slap something that doesn't exist!

The Sacred Dog is the best dog, but the poodle is okay too. Fun fact: Each of The Dog's forms have their own baseline, level-independent stats, progressively becoming stronger as you move through each region. Attack, Defense, even walking speed all increase. Though, running speed becomes slower, with the exception of the last form.

Leavemywife posted:

He has 2500 HP and is eating enough Crush and Fireball to feed the population of Kenya into the next decade.

He can attack with Corrosion, Confound, and Lightning Storm, but...Well, he's still not dangerous. This is about all the respect he deserves, and I don't feel guilty for doing this to him.

Yeah, we're going to need to do a little something about this Alchemy addiction you've developed, Leave. It's getting a little out of hand. Thankfully, Aquagoth is a really boring boss at the end of a really boring dungeon, and I have a plan. :eng101:

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
I like the poodle a lot too.

Model wise he's remarkably similar to the grey hound. Just change the tail, add a frilly coat, and turn him pink and you'd get the poodle.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Roro posted:

A little late here, but hold the loving phone! York may be a dumbass, but you're just going to let Zach off the hook for not realising Evil Horace was a fake? He's a dog, he could've sniffed him out!
He's a Dog and as shown later, he considers this to be his adventure with York along for the ride. He doesn't care about any of the twin plots (because there's no evil twin of him to have an epic dog duel with.)

RedMagus posted:

Also this area always caused me a headache when I went through it. I can't remember why though...
I'll put this here and maybe it'll jog something:

Maze Count: 1

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
No evil dog twin for an epic duel? The Bad Dogs from the Aegis battle didn't count?

A Pleasant Hug
Dec 30, 2007

...It's the thought that counts, right?

EponymousMrYar posted:

He's a Dog and as shown later, he considers this to be his adventure with York along for the ride. He doesn't care about any of the twin plots (because there's no evil twin of him to have an epic dog duel with.)

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'll put this here and maybe it'll jog something:

Maze Count: 1

Are you just counting in this continent? Because if not, your number is way too low - the Swamp, the Volcano's sewers, and the Pyramid* are all built around mazes.

*In fairness, the Pyramid being a maze is completely justified - some of the earliest recorded real-world mazes were in Egypt, including one built by a Pharaoh for his pyramid. :eng101:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

This game is great at having good dogs and evil doppelgangers (seconding Seiren's :allears:), but the biggest design flaw of Secret of Evermore, to me, is all the goddamn mazes. The first two acts weren't too bad about it-- yes, the dungeons have mostly had mazes in them so far, but few outstayed their welcome and at least they gave you open game world to run around in between dungeons if you so desired. The dark teleporting maze full of Oglins is poo poo and Leavemywife rightly murdered the bastards with swarms of bees, but at least there's no hidden items or formulas to miss out on and the gimmick is very straightforward so you can brute force it quickly without consequences if you don't have a guide handy. Unfortunately Act 3 is the part of the game where things are much more on rails and paradoxically where you're really going to want a guide because everything is mazes. Even things that wouldn't have been a maze in the first two acts are made into gimmick mazes. Worse, there's a lot you can miss squirreled away in Act 3 and back tracking is a lot harder and often outright impossible in contrast to the previous acts of the game.

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008
It's been a long time, but I vaguely recall that this part of the game is where the music really starts to pick up.

Invenerable
Aug 7, 2005

YOU CAN BE A BIG PIG, TOO!

I spent Christmas day in 7th grade playing through this game, and in spite of my fond memories, cannot replay it in adulthood for this very reason. I get bored so quickly with the mazes, even (especially?) compared to its spiritual siblings in the Seiken Densetsu series. :/

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
I distinctly remember getting lost multiple times in the castle and not being able to progress the game for a several days while trying to find my way out.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
Yeah the next part kinda sucks. While I do like the looks of the area in general, it's also just not that interesting a time period for me at least.

Ethanol and acetic acid (non-diluted vinegar) couple together to form ethyl acetate, a common solvent. Most of my experience with it is using it together with other solvents for column chromatography, which is a separation method. I guess you could use it to extract poo poo from other poo poo...like, Drain it...and you need two different solvents for it...or rather, you should do an extraction at least twice, so it's a Double Drain...look, it's at least more scientific than the bees are.

Rubberduke
Nov 24, 2015
Great, now i want nachos.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Happy (belated) birthday, DoubleNegative!

Not a fan of poodles, but as I promised on Twitter, here's the new toot:

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Unoriginal One posted:

It's been a long time, but I vaguely recall that this part of the game is where the music really starts to pick up.

The atmosphere of the 3rd act is great, the music and the graphical design for this section clearly have a lot of love put into it considering the setting here is kind of 'meh' compared to Prehistoria and Antiqua. Its a shame the gameplay and the pacing doesn't match.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if the dog is turning into what the local good/evil twin expects a dog to be.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Update Twenty One: Back Alley Deals, Carnival Shows and Pig Races, Oh My!

Howdy, folks, and welcome back! Last time, on Secret of Evermore, we defeated the vile Aquagoth, ending our time in Antiqua. We popped into the next area of Evermore, Gothica, where Zach has been turned into a poodle. Today, we're going to hit the next town and do a bunch of stuff, so let's boogie.

I missed something on this very screen, so I'll come back next update to show you what it is.

Gotta be a new goddamned record for me having missed something.

On the next screen, we encounter the first of our new enemies for this area.

The Hedgadillo has 90 HP, gives out 180 EXP and 10 gold coins (our new currency. They're pretty tough, defensively speaking, so alchemy is pretty great for taking them out. Or Zach, but he's good for taking out most things.

Blue Goos also populate this screen, same as they were back in Antiqua.

BEEEEEEEEES

I missed something around here, too, but we'll get it next update. For now, let's pop into the town.

...Oh, hell, what is this happiness crap?

There's a mini-market here, with some interesting stuff.

Eh, some of them do. I've got pretty much all I need to get everything.

Unless I can get a shotgun or something, I doubt it.

I'm not sure if I want to see what a man with that name qualifies as oddities.

Well, hell, I'll take one. I'm always up for a show.

Yeah, we'll get to that. First, we're going to explore east and north and grab some treasures.

300 didn't indicate the Oracle had a bone...

This is up for debate. There's one use that it's confirmed for, but my sources tell me that it doesn't do poo poo beyond that.

I'll fork 'em over, mostly because I have no other use for them.

Interestingly enough, oracle bones were also used in Chinese divination, which were pieces of turtle shell and bone. If you're curious, the Wikipedia article is here.

We're going to need a shitload more than 170 coins.

That's better. Still not enough, but better.

No I won't!

If we hadn't gotten the Cloak back in Antiqua, we could grab it here.

Does anyone else think this sounds odd? Ah, Christ, the queen is going to be evil, isn't she?

And I see no way this can go wrong. Or maybe there is and I can't think of it.

That's a good way to get me to an event.

This festival sounds awful. If a pig race is the big thing going on...

My sources have found me an exclusive picture of the queen:

Let's get in here and see what's shakin'.

I'm sure that's the same pattern in your bathroom; it's not that impressive.

That's a bit more impressive. And a little Harry Potter.

Acorns will be used in three formulas, one of which is kind of useful, one of which I don't give a poo poo about, and one of which that could be useful.

We also snag 20 coins.

What is with this game and having weird things going on to the west?

I don't even know what to say to that.

However, now I'm concerned we're going to have to get a pig. Maybe I can alchemy one up and race it.

Oh, my God, spotless!?

This news is so shocking, I have to break into this house.

Imagine that, a ruler enjoys that her people is happy.

I hope the next world is one where everyone dresses like Marty McFly.

Somehow, it's not quite as satisfying when I have permission to take these things.

...How the hell do you know I'm on a journey?

AND HOW DO YOU HAVE USELESS poo poo IN YOUR CHESTS GODDAMN

Damned bullshit in this house. I'm out.

If she was executing people left and right for petty reasons, you'd bitch. She's too nice, you bitch. I bet she could hold nightly screenings of classic movies and you'd still bitch!

Well, he's probably dead.

One's dead and the other is an evil twin.

No reason for this shot, other than I think that statue looks pretty bitchin'.

It doesn't strike me as particularly festive, but if you say so...

Let me write that on my list of places we'll end up visiting...

And let me write that on my list of places we'll end up exploring...

Oh, we will be. Our current equipment, while kickass for the last area, is sorely outdated by now.

I'm sure that there's a good reason.

And this might have something to do with it. Or maybe not and people just got over the novelty of a giant chessboard.

You're about five. Nobody gives a poo poo about what you remember, because you don't remember anything important.

I captured a lot of dialog in this update. I don't usually do that.

If I can get some betting in, maybe this won't be so bad.

Not yet, but I do have a ticket!

...I should choke you with this ticket.

And what did you think?

I thought it was the feel good exhibition of the year...:confused:

Yeah, I'm probably never going to use Clay again...

And let's go up a level, to the next part of town.

Actually, bud, I'd probably be good to go. I've got Crush.

...I wonder if I could Crush a dragon...

The Inn and store are one building, but let's see what he has for sale.

Fun fact: this is bullshit.

On sub-par crap? You're probably right.

We'll get one of these for free later, and the other stuff, I can find better versions of it on the west side of town.

On the other side, we can stay at the Inn for 40 coins, but we don't need to at the moment.

But we do need this Brimstone. I still have plenty of bad guys to light on fire.

So I've heard.

Hmm. This isn't the first time we've heard of someone being obsessed with cleanliness...

Inside, we find another person who thinks the queen is acting odd.

You might be thinking that if the queen loves cleanliness, a pig race would be a no go for her, but pigs are actually pretty clean animals.

They do roll in mud frequently, yes, but that's to help them keep cool. Pigs don't have sweat glands.

And I think that's enough trivia to qualify this LP as informative.

Don't worry, we'll kick the--

Or maybe she will. Or she'll hire someone (i.e., us) to do it.

Which I'd be okay with.

Your brother has a name? Must be important.

Good luck when you get there!

Mayhaps he has some of these treasures for sale? I like treasure.

...Oh. He's one of those adventurers.

Well, in that case...

Just two? Hell, this isn't even worth stealing! I'm getting out of here.

You're lucky you weren't robbed, man. I was close to doing it.

Like in every other house!

Like in every other house.

...Every other house?

Hey, if you know how to get to Podunk from here, that'd be great.

:sigh: You don't, do you?

C'mon, new sword!

Your name is Lance, you named your Alchemy Lance, and it is used to stab the poo poo out of things with a big lance.

It only costs 1 Iron and 1 Acorn, and I'm not sure how the hell that works, but hey, whatever.

Lance is about equal to Crush, except that Crush is already leveled up a bunch. That, and there's something about Lance I just don't like. It doesn't feel like it has enough oomph to it.

Lance also sells ingredients, and the only new things are Iron and Acorns, both of which I stock up on.

And this is our reward for not being dirty thieves.

We have a new merchant, a new alchemy formula, and we still get the stuff. It's kind of a dick move, considering the other houses let you take their stuff without any repercussions, and how most RPGs, you're going to do the same thing.

Ah, this motherfucker. It's good poo poo.

As is this! For different reasons.

Anyways, the Vest is a massive boost over our old armor.

Alright, that's enough of bothering Lance and his family.

*jots that down*

Though, I'm sure it'll be on the path to wherever we have to go, so I bet we can't miss it.

No! Jesus, find something else to talk about! Just because I went up a set of stairs doesn't mean I forgot about the chessboard!

Someone in the thread mentioned that this part of the game really ramps up the mazes, and they're not bullshitting.

We'll be seeing a shitload of mazes for the next long while.

Oh, really?

Why, yes, it is. Tell me, dear, where do you keep your treasure?

...Oh, you're not rich dicks. Neat!

Uh...I don't even know what to say.

I guess maybe TV was introduced to this world?

Once again, I'm not even sure what to say.

Assume I made a joke about how plumbers don't wear ties and let's move along.

To the insane man himself!

And now to steal take his stuff because we were invited!

I haven't even left this town yet!

Be careful; there be dragons.

The other chest is some more Ethanol, which we can't carry.

There's a room in this house that we can't reach from the inside, so we've gotta sneak in the back.

Meh.

Oooh, solid!

Alright, with that done, we can hit the west side of town and see what's shakin' over there.

Yeah, you guys are all about pig races, I know.

Do we eat the winning pig afterward?

I'm sure it was just a cow fetus in a jar. Relax.

Which is true! We're about to grab some real solid stuff.

Not this update!

Don't worry, we'll figure it out. And possibly kill her in the process.

Ugh. Fake nice is the worst nice.

Yes, you do. He offers us three choices, of head, chest, or arm armor. We've already got good chest armor, so let's check out a helmet.

Yes, please!

This is also why you don't want to barter the Amulet salesman down in Nobilia. You'll still need them.

However, you'll notice I'm now criminally low on money. I have to go fix that.

Which I did off-camera. I also scored a Chocobo Egg from this alley, for nine Beads and nine Perfume, which increases HP by a flat 45. I only gained one level while getting my money.

I got just enough money to buy what else we need.

Yes, I am. Let's see what our new armors do for us, shall we?

:swoon:

:syoon:

This is the only one we don't have (except the Magic Gourd, but that does nothing, so I don't care about having it). I get this to get the next item.

And with this, mosquitoes and spiders will leave us the hell alone! We can kick their asses still, but they won't come bug us now.

Obviously, yes.

We don't have much choice now.

Except to dick around some more.

...Oh, this is a carny town. Now it's all coming together.

Carny snobs.

:bigtran:

I'm not going to say no.

Excellent. Soon, nobody will know our identity...

What about my dog? Do you have any poodle beards? May as well make it a dual-gimmick show.

Alright, let's go learn about this Exhibit of Oddities. I'll admit, I'm curious.

His cane is really what makes this little speech. For me, at least. It's just so out of place with the rest of his outfit, it's ridiculous.

And we'll head right that way next update!

Stay tuned, folks! Same LP time, same LP channel!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
The Exhibit of Oddities is obviously a ripoff, but I'm curious as to just how much of one it is.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Leavemywife posted:

Someone in the thread mentioned that this part of the game really ramps up the mazes, and they're not bullshitting.

MagusofStars posted:

Are you just counting in this continent? Because if not, your number is way too low - the Swamp, the Volcano's sewers, and the Pyramid* are all built around mazes.

To confirm this now that Leaves mentioned it: yes. As mentioned this area has a great aesthetic but it's gameplay is utterly exhausting.

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.

They really wanted to make sure the player didn't miss out on the "subtlety" of their Chess themed area. Also, Ivor Tower, Ebony Keep - why can't they just live together, in perfect harmony?

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
...has it been at all worth it to use any conventional armor shop this game?

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

There's a lot of free armor in the game but that doesn't make shop armor worthless.
Buying bronze gear in Crustacia is actually a very good buy since the free armor is all the way in Nobilia and the Rogues have insane attack power. While the non-shop armor here is good it won't last us the entire stay here like the Nobilia stuff.

Also there's only one last set of free armor in the game IIRC.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

West bank! Chess board! North show!

Leavemywife posted:

You might be thinking that if the queen loves cleanliness, a pig race would be a no go for her, but pigs are actually pretty clean animals.
They do roll in mud frequently, yes, but that's to help them keep cool. Pigs don't have sweat glands.

The mud also forms a barrier that keeps mosquitos from biting them.

HiKaizer
Feb 2, 2012

Yes!
I finally understand everything there is to know about axes!

SorataYuy posted:

They really wanted to make sure the player didn't miss out on the "subtlety" of their Chess themed area. Also, Ivor Tower, Ebony Keep - why can't they just live together, in perfect harmony?

That's good because I still missed it. :v:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

SorataYuy posted:

Because Ivor is almost certainly being ruled by the evil, despotic twin of their former ruler. Although so far, only Fire Eyes' evil twin was actively making life in her area worse. Maybe we've got the wrong idea about these evil doppelgangers!

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Glazius posted:

The game hands you a lot of freebies and non-shop gear, but aside from the trade sequence gear in Act 2 and 3 (and even then you'll probably want to buy all the armor in Crustacia before the Coliseum) there's still reasons to shop. Filling out the armlets and helmets for grass and dino gear at the shops are helpful during Prehistoria, you can only get the chest pieces for free. Late game armor is always worth buying from here on out. If you don't know which people give you the collars you'll want to buy them-- unless you have a guide you probably aren't using the dog to talk to every NPC to figure that out on your own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Glazius posted:

It's worth keeping in mind that while you can get equipment for free, it's often available earlier in a shop and/or the shop will have a mid-grade item which will let you for a little while before you can grab the free one.

Also, there really isn't much to spend cash on. Alchemy is a worthwhile investment of course, but if you've already got 30 casts of Crush available, is buying an additional 10 casts really going to matter for the next dungeon? Probably not since you're already unlikely to run dry. But a new piece of armor DOES have a notable impact on your performance.

• Locked thread