Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

But if you must know why I hate Attack of the Clones so much, an opinion you have heard before, and one you ain't gonna respect.

Anakin is an awful character. His arc as a conflicted hero does not work for me because he's pretty much a disturbed villain from the start. He's way too arrogant, way too hot headed, and he's horny to a point of being incredibly creepy. His arc only works if he's a villain from the start, but if that's the case, then he's a boring character because he doesn't change. He just gets worse. It's just the most un-interesting character to me.

Characters don't have to change, but clearly, that's what this story is about. So.

The acting in the film feels lifeless. Like no one cares about what's going on. I'm sure you can pull up some scene from the OT that is just as bad or whatever, but it doesn't change my opinion.

Visually, I hate it. The early digital look makes the whole film look incredibly cheap, which is a shame. It's not so much the CGI is bad, it's the compositing of the components.

And yeah, you can post pretty shots I guess, but man, I am just not a fan of the flat, stagnant direction. It has so little energy outside of the CGI scenes, which just go fuckin nuts with it and it's like two different people are working on the same movie.

Oh and the romance. It's bad and boring because I don't like or care about either of the people.

Here's my hot take. Please get mad and quote it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Anakin is an awful character. His arc as a conflicted hero does not work for me because he's pretty much a disturbed villain from the start. He's way too arrogant, way too hot headed, and he's horny to a point of being incredibly creepy. His arc only works if he's a villain from the start, but if that's the case, then he's a boring character because he doesn't change. He just gets worse. It's just the most un-interesting character to me.

Prolonged Priapism posted:

"Not my Anakin!"

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Wooah, look at that! I predicted that! I must be a force user!!!!!

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I think Ani is a good kid in AOTC, he just gets shat upon and stuff doesn't work out at all for him. Turns out you don't get much social confidence from spending your formative years with celibate monks. So bc of this he can't connect with the most important person of his life.
I dunno i just think it works out, and i don't really have a hangup with the cgi since it blends with everything pretty good. Camino, coruscant chase etc works great.
Anakin vs Obi Wan's smarmy, do as i say, not as i do-attitude and then the whole adventure thing.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CelticPredator posted:

Anakin is an awful character. His arc as a conflicted hero does not work for me because he's pretty much a disturbed villain from the start.

It's just the most un-interesting character to me.

clearly, that's what this story is about. So.

I'm sure you can pull up some scene from the OT that is just as bad or whatever, but it doesn't change my opinion.

Visually, I hate it.

Oh and the romance. It's bad and boring because I don't like or care about either people

There is a reason why people don't respect your opinion.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

My list was also based on quality not "what I like". I know goons don't separate the two but come on who cares if you didn't like Anakin because he reminds you of yourself or he didn't meet your head cannon standards. Just take the movie as it is.

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
That was the product of 14 years of ongoing discussion.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

There is a reason why people don't respect your opinion.

I got mad respect for his opinion

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

AoTC hasn't aged well but at the time it was all we got. Remember how good the dust scene looked in the trailer.

Wow.

That's it.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I got mad respect for his opinion

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

people don't respect your opinion.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
I think a lot of the hatred is crystalized because they saw the movie once 14 years ago. I know I haven't seen it in quite a while.

Then again, the only one of the PT I have seen in a while is probably ROTS because that's the only one I ever owned on DVD (I had a VHS copy of TPM too).

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

If RoTS is considered the good one it could be because some people haven't seen it in 14 years either. Because I watched it inbetween The Clone Wars and Rebels -- it was loving terrible start to finish.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
My estimation of the film rose dramatically when I revisited it. It may be the second-best Star Wars film.

But then, I wouldn't touch the cartoons with a ten-foot pole.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
I don't think SMG likes Star Wars.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

But if you must know why I hate Attack of the Clones so much, an opinion you have heard before, and one you ain't gonna respect.

Anakin is an awful character. His arc as a conflicted hero does not work for me because he's pretty much a disturbed villain from the start. He's way too arrogant, way too hot headed, and he's horny to a point of being incredibly creepy.

You're ignoring TPM. In that, he's a precocious kind kid. When AotC starts he's a short-tempered, sex starved teenager. Brainwashed by a religious cult. The problem is none of this is pulled off in a convincing way because Hayden can't act/was given poor direction, but you can see what Lucas was aiming for. Kinda.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Why not? You think you're too good for them?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

You should check them out. Early clone wars is a bit rough, but both shows are great

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
I would prefer not to. I've already understood the films, so I have little need for 50+ hours of supplementary material.

Terry Grunthouse
Apr 9, 2007

I AM GOING TO EAT YOU LOOK MY TEETH ARE REALLY GOOD EATERS
there are two types of people here: those who think AOTC is terrible and those who think ROTJ is terrible

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
Clone wars is good until Darth maul is resurrected with cyborg legs. And he has a brother literally named Savage Opress who was given force powers by witches.

Rebels is really bad. I hear it also includes Cyborg Darth Maul now.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
rebels is actually really good

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

I would prefer not to. I've already understood the films, so I have little need for 50+ hours of supplementary material.

They're just additional stories in the same universe...not required reading for understanding the live-action films.

UmOk posted:

Clone wars is good until Darth maul is resurrected with cyborg legs. And he has a brother literally named Savage Opress who was given force powers by witches.

The Maul stuff in Clone Wars was great, that plus his two episodes of Rebels really helped give him some nuance.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Plus they don't touch upon his robot legs since he just has normal ones now. He was left in a junkyard - that's fine - it's a cool mix.

Maul being fleshed out is the best thing they could have done. He runs on pure hatred - especially now when he got cut in half.

SMG you should at least watch the arc with the Clones questioning their nature - it's some amazing stuff.

There's 3 off the top of my head with a few standalone episodes.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
They should have Maul show in Rogue One for the massive lols

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Clone Wars "gets" the prequels, and steadily makes it more explicit that the Jedi have hosed up by getting pulled into running a war.

I'm not using that as a selling point for anybody who's not interested, but for anybody who's on the fence it's a really good companion piece to the PT.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
So, who had the better Space Nazi speech? General Hux or Gihren Zabi?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr3L7yI5lzQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gk2vrRKel6k

Is Star Wars the best anime?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, the main arc of Clone Wars is one character coming to terms with the fact that the Order is corrupt and deciding to quit being a Jedi.

But it also loves commentating on the PT, like showing Obiwan in a very similarly relationship as Anakin and Padme's with a Duchress, but between two healthy adults.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Plus they don't touch upon his robot legs since he just has normal ones now. He was left in a junkyard - that's fine - it's a cool mix.

Maul being fleshed out is the best thing they could have done. He runs on pure hatred - especially now when he got cut in half.

SMG you should at least watch the arc with the Clones questioning their nature - it's some amazing stuff.

There's 3 off the top of my head with a few standalone episodes.

An advantage that Clone Wars has over Rebels is its self contained 2-3 episode story structure.

The best stories are the ones involving clones. Also the Jarjar and Mace Windu team-up

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Obi Wan's love story is goddamn amazing.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

UmOk posted:

Actually, despite sounding like the worst idea in the world on paper, the resurrected Maul arc in TCW turned out to be one of the show's high points. The reason it works is because they didn't bring Maul back just so he could be the exact same character he was in TPM. The fact that he's been "dead" for ten years is not ignored. It's what drives his entire story.

Toilet Mouth posted:

Clone Wars "gets" the prequels, and steadily makes it more explicit that the Jedi have hosed up by getting pulled into running a war.

I'm not using that as a selling point for anybody who's not interested, but for anybody who's on the fence it's a really good companion piece to the PT.

Of course it "gets" the prequels. The guy breaking all the story beats was George Lucas.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am not sure how much "created by" goes far - but I don't see Lucas under writer or director.

e from reddit:

quote:

Yes as the others have said George Lucas was heavily involved with the show. He fronted the cash as he did with all the Star Wars movies, he read and approved the scripts, he provided a lot of ideas. The show was his television passion project. He never directly wrote or directed on it but his direct involvement and overall direction is what legitimises TCW as being Star Wars canon amd why it's the only piece of old EU that's retained in Disney's new EU. :)

So it seems it was a ESB kinda thing? He gave the beats but better writers took it.

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 18, 2016

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Vintersorg posted:

I am not sure how much "created by" goes far - but I don't see Lucas under writer or director.

Per Filoni, Lucas was rather fond of wandering by the offices and giving advice, or occasionally vetoing a story idea or concept art piece.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Vintersorg posted:

That's because he didn't write or direct any of the episodes. He was the executive producer.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

But SMG watching film doesn't have to be just about analyzing themes and "understanding" everything, it can be about just watching for enjoyment. And I still think when Clone Wars is bad it's pretty bad indeed, but the good arcs and episodes are every bit as good as any of the seven films.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Cnut the Great posted:

That's because he didn't write or direct any of the episodes. He was the executive producer.

"I like what you did here - thanks for making the prequel story redeemed" :cheeky:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Vintersorg posted:

AoTC hasn't aged well but at the time it was all we got. Remember how good the dust scene looked in the trailer.

Wow.

That's it.

I'm honestly not sure what you mean by it not aging well, but if your referring to the CGI then I have to disagree. While the technology has progressed quite a bit from when the movie was first released, the CGI in AoTC is still gorgeous and remarkably believable.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I want to say that The Clone Wars did a much better job of conveying the themes present in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, but thinking about it... I'm not sure those themes are actually present in those films.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Palatine throws the senate at Yoda. Like despite disliking those movies you can see the themes are there pretty clearly.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Obi Wan's love story is goddamn amazing.

Is it? It seemed kind of forced considering Obi Wan is gay.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

PBS Newshour posted:

Palatine throws the senate at Yoda. Like despite disliking those movies you can see the themes are there pretty clearly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3F1d3QWsyk0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

GlitchThief posted:

I want to say that The Clone Wars did a much better job of conveying the themes present in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, but thinking about it... I'm not sure those themes are actually present in those films.

Which themes do you believe aren't/should be present in those two films?

• Locked thread