Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Achmed Jones posted:

Are there any cheap single-board x86 computers out there? All I really want it to do is run gdbserver against x86 binaries, so a NUC would be way overkill.

The Intel Compute Stick is very small and costs $180, but it also only has a quad core modern Atom CPU: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Stick-Windows-BOXSTCK1A32WFCR/dp/B00UZ3CYE2

It's about 4 inches by 1.5 inches by 0.5 inches.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syzygy86
Feb 1, 2008

fishmech posted:

The Intel Compute Stick is very small and costs $180, but it also only has a quad core modern Atom CPU: http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Compute-Stick-Windows-BOXSTCK1A32WFCR/dp/B00UZ3CYE2

It's about 4 inches by 1.5 inches by 0.5 inches.

There's also the Minnowboard Max which is a little cheaper at $140 for the dual core version with 2 GB RAM: http://wiki.minnowboard.org/MinnowBoard_MAX

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
The Galileo and Edison are x86 too, but they're more like the Pentium instuction set (586) instead of the modern instruction set you see on x86 processors today. They only run at 400mhz or so and are really, really slow.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you just need a cheap garbage x86 device, you could always tear out the motherboard from an old/used Acer c270 chromebook. They probably go for under $100 these days.

HP makes or made an Atom powered Stream 7 tablet device that sold new for $80. There's probably some other options out there as well.

Thinkpad T410 with 4GB ram will run about $150 on eBay these days and will run esxi allowing you to do a poor man's virtual lab running multiple x86 devices.

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Apr 11, 2016

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Maybe a PC Engines APU2C2? 1 GHz AMD quad-core Jaguar, 2 GB RAM, runs off of SD or mSATA, 3.3V serial, and and Intel gigabit NIC with (admittedly this is overkill but I think it's loving awesome) THREE gigabit ethernet ports. $109 from the manufacturer.

Only problem is you're going to be paying for shipping from Switzerland.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler
Try searching for "mini pc" on ALIExpress and see what you find. I'm seeing a bunch of Chrometop/Compute Stick-likes for under $100, so one of those might be perfect if you're more concerned with size, power use, and cost than speed.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011

Eletriarnation posted:

Try searching for "mini pc" on ALIExpress and see what you find. I'm seeing a bunch of Chrometop/Compute Stick-likes for under $100, so one of those might be perfect if you're more concerned with size, power use, and cost than speed.

or you could try wish.com they have some amazing offers like this one
https://www.wish.com/c/554895661a50560c3c143e34

quote:

Mini PC Box TV Stick Quad Core 2G/16G Bluetooth 4.0 1080P with XBMC DLAN External WiFi Antenna
(33)
Reduced from £68GBP to £25GBP

or this one

https://www.wish.com/c/5693b37fa258cb2b98b13156

quote:

Mini PC Win8.1 OS Computer Mini PC Stick HDMI WiFi Bluetooth Compute Stick Pocket Portable PC 2GB/32GB
Reduced from £107GBP to £44GBP

TheresaJayne fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 11, 2016

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

This is wonderful, thanks for all the help!

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
If you wait for a rebate/sale the ECS Liva X goes on sale for around $70 brand new.

Lenovo makes a compute stick clone. I think they're available for $100 brand new. I found one on craigslist for $40 and it works well.

If its going to run Linux, it is hard to beat a Chromebook.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I remember seeing a link that some vendor has messed up and revealed that the RasPi camera was getting an update, but I'm unable to locate it now. Does anyone have it handy?

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

DeaconBlues posted:

If I had a cable I could wire it straight into the chocolate block connector on the boiler's switch box. The only bulky item would be whatever transformer circuit is built into the cable. I'm assuming this would be much smaller than the current solution.

Probably the smallest you could achieve is cutting and wiring an europlug extension cord and plug a small USB charger to it.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Anyone know a good place in Canada to order a Pi 3 that isn't overly inflated in price? The cheapest I can find on Amazon is like $75, which even with the lovely dollar is ridiculous. I looked at a couple independent Canadian sellers, and while their prices are a bit cheaper their ridiculous flat shipping rates bring it up to about the same...

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Microsoft store frequently has good deals. Free shipping.

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

DeaconBlues posted:

I'm looking for a way to power my Pi from mains voltage, without having to use a cumbersome phone style charger.

I want to have 240v AC (UK mains) coming in on two wires, going through an AC->DC converter in-line with the cable, coming out to a microUSB powering the Pi. I've tried searching on Amazon but I'm either using the wrong terms or there's nothing available due to possible safety issues (people zapping themselves through not turning mains voltage off first).

There's got to be a major use case for this kind of adaptor, so I don't know why I can't find one. Any ideas?

If you have room, change the wall socket for one with USB built in:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Gen...sb+power+socket

edit:

single sockets also available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Knightsbrid...4H81J2AFV79H9VM

DeaconBlues
Nov 9, 2011
Thanks for the tips. Both the euro socket and built in USB options look great.

I've actually dismantled my modifications and put the boiler back to stock now. I was reading the service section of the boiler manual and there's a warning in there about invalidating the warranty, so I got concerned and put the lovely rotary timer back, as new.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

I could eat a sea cucumber
I'm looking to get an e-paper module, has anyone worked with any in the past and have a specific they recommend?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

General use or do you have a project in mind?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

http://www.pervasivedisplays.com/kits/mpicosys441

Please build on this platform and write a frame buffer driver :)

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Hadlock posted:

General use or do you have a project in mind?

I want to make a project with it, nothing major so it doesn't have to be a big screen. Not sure what right now though

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Anyone know a good place in Canada to order a Pi 3 that isn't overly inflated in price? The cheapest I can find on Amazon is like $75, which even with the lovely dollar is ridiculous. I looked at a couple independent Canadian sellers, and while their prices are a bit cheaper their ridiculous flat shipping rates bring it up to about the same...

There really isn't.
Aside from ebay at least, I was going to get the 3 but decided to not pay more than 50.00 this stuff and just ordered a 2 off amazon instead.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

I bought mine from adafruit for about 40 iirc, the shipping is what kills it as the cheapest one was about 18 dollars despite adafruit being based in NY? I also got charged taxes when they delivered so that was fun

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Knowlue posted:

I bought mine from adafruit for about 40 iirc, the shipping is what kills it as the cheapest one was about 18 dollars despite adafruit being based in NY? I also got charged taxes when they delivered so that was fun

Yeah, so with the conversion it's even more. Managed to find one for $70 on Amazon with free shipping so I just bit the bullet...

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007
You're pretty hard pressed to get any raspberry pi for under $70 in Canada, it sucks :canada:

Before the dollar got too bad, Canakit's were pretty cheap (I bought the complete Pi2 starter set for $75), but now you're lucky to get the board itself for that price.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.
Hi all,

I've been using my OG pi for a couple years now as my usenet download/NAS, and it's worked well so far. However, I've noticed that network transfer speeds have been slower than they should be. I've got my files shared out via SMB (for my Windows PC's) and NFS (for my FireTV running Kodi), and according to vnstat the maximum throughput I seem to get is a steady ~1MB/sec. According to what I've found online I should be getting at least 3-5MB/sec. I'm on a wired connection and the pi is overclocked to 900mhz.

I've spent a lot of time lately trying various fixes and I'm starting to think something may be wrong with the NIC. Would anyone be willing to help me out, perhaps even privately? I can even throw a few bucks your way. I'd rather try to see if this is fixable before just trying my luck with a Pi3.

Knowlue
Nov 11, 2012

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Yeah, so with the conversion it's even more. Managed to find one for $70 on Amazon with free shipping so I just bit the bullet...

:canada:

Mantle
May 15, 2004

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Did you try the Microsoft store? Comes with 8gb card too.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

speedtek posted:

Hi all,

I've been using my OG pi for a couple years now as my usenet download/NAS, and it's worked well so far. However, I've noticed that network transfer speeds have been slower than they should be. I've got my files shared out via SMB (for my Windows PC's) and NFS (for my FireTV running Kodi), and according to vnstat the maximum throughput I seem to get is a steady ~1MB/sec. According to what I've found online I should be getting at least 3-5MB/sec. I'm on a wired connection and the pi is overclocked to 900mhz.

Is the 3-5MB figure accounting for you saturating your USB bus with IO as well as the networking? Why would anyone torture themselves by using a Pi as a nas? You could be getting literally 100x the performance with anything else.

Oben
Aug 7, 2004

Oh, the lights changed
I have the same setup, except not overclocked, and I get around 3 from my Usenet servers. Check how fast you can transfer over your local network with vsftp.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
If you want a meaningful network benchmark, use iperf

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Mantle posted:

Did you try the Microsoft store? Comes with 8gb card too.

The Canadian MS store doesn't sell the rPi3, and the rPi2 with 8gb SD is still $67 :canada:

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

theperminator posted:

Is the 3-5MB figure accounting for you saturating your USB bus with IO as well as the networking? Why would anyone torture themselves by using a Pi as a nas? You could be getting literally 100x the performance with anything else.

Trying to get away with using as little power as possible. I'm only storing movies, TV shows and music on it. So far everything works great, except anything that's both 1080p and DTS.

I admittedly know very little overall about Linux. I will give iperf a try when I get home.

ItBurns
Jul 24, 2007
Initial reviews of the largely-unavailable Pine64 appear to be somewhat unflattering.

Barnes And Body Works
Mar 2, 2016

:shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom::shroom:
:chillout:

37th Chamber posted:

The Canadian MS store doesn't sell the rPi3, and the rPi2 with 8gb SD is still $67 :canada:

B-but...... Amazon sells the pi 2 for 49.99...

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!
OK I am stumped.

I thought i would give Volumio a try on my Pi3 but I can't get the bloody thing to boot. I downloaded the IMG file from the official website and used win32diskimager to copy the image into my 32gig micro sd card. I have done this multiple times and I don't have any issues with NOOBS.

Have I made a really stupid mistake some where along the line?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Foxtrot_13 posted:

OK I am stumped.

I thought i would give Volumio a try on my Pi3 but I can't get the bloody thing to boot. I downloaded the IMG file from the official website and used win32diskimager to copy the image into my 32gig micro sd card. I have done this multiple times and I don't have any issues with NOOBS.

Have I made a really stupid mistake some where along the line?

Is Volumio compatible with the RPI3 yet?

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

Daztek posted:

It supports the RPI2, which SHOULD be enough for the RPI3, it'd still be 32bit and the built in BT/WIFI might not work though.

John Capslocke fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 25, 2016

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
The World's First Hemp Plane

quote:

The Hemp Plane will be built using an existing design. Doing this helps to cut costs by eliminating the timely and expensive prototype phase. Utilizing a model that already works will assure that the Hemp Plane will take to the skies with 100% success when it comes time to fly. We’re taking everything on the plane that is currently made from fiberglass and other non-sustainable materials and replacing it with hemp products. When everything is said and done the Hemp Plane will be constructed from 75% Hemp or more!

They claim that hemp can be effectively substituted for fiberglass or carbon in composites. I guess that's more or less plausible given what else has been done with hemp.

Everything else reads like your average everyday hemp crusader ramblings. Never mind that anyone who hasn't been convinced by all the other things that hemp has been used for (plus the absolute lack of evidence that marijuana usage is, by any sane standard, a serious enough threat to public health to justify prohibition) is unlikely to be affected by this (or otherwise listen to reason).

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Daztek posted:

Unless you're set on Volumio, RuneAudio runs on rpi3.

I use RuneAudio on my rpi1 as Volumio game me audio quality issues.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS

Cockmaster posted:

The World's First Hemp Plane

They claim that hemp can be effectively substituted for fiberglass or carbon in composites. I guess that's more or less plausible given what else has been done with hemp.

Everything else reads like your average everyday hemp crusader ramblings. Never mind that anyone who hasn't been convinced by all the other things that hemp has been used for (plus the absolute lack of evidence that marijuana usage is, by any sane standard, a serious enough threat to public health to justify prohibition) is unlikely to be affected by this (or otherwise listen to reason).

Hrm, yes, you make a good point. But can it run on the Zero?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I have a couple of Raspberry 2 lying around and gathering dust. I'd like to turn them into Wifi Access Points for my home network in bridge mode (that is wire them to the Ethernet port and use the Wifi as a hotspot, when clients connect to the AP they get an IP address from the LAN DHCP server). Does anybody know of a good USB Wifi card, with an antenna, that supports bridging and AP? And known to work with Raspbian (which really means Debian, I guess)?