Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
the secret to lighting spear is to just get the talisman in smouldering lake to cast pyromancies and throw chaos fire orbs instead of poo poo spear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillGizmo
Jul 11, 2001

Run you little bastard! Run!
Anyone playing this on the XBox One and having horrible FPS especially during boss fights? It's pretty drat horrible. Another forum I go to says they have no problems but I find that hard to believe.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Wrapped up the game yesterday on PS4 at about 30 hours, level 67. Primarily used a Fire Longsword +10, Heavy Great Club +9, Lightning Falchion +9. Some thoughts:

Bosses/Difficulty
Overall I was quite happy with the boss variety and the apparent emphasis on quality over quantity compared to 2 - felt more like Bloodborne with memorable encounters favored over frequent ones (and wise use of sub/mini bosses for the interesting creatures). Unfortunately, perhaps due to playing too many of these games, but none of the bosses gave me fits like BB did with the lower chalice bosses or the final DLC boss. The bosses I see mentioned frequently - Pontiff, Champ, Princes - I was able to solo after only a couple tries and offered my golden hand to others with a high success rate. HOWEVER I'd much rather have memorable kind of easy fights than a slew of Champion humanoids who are just fast/strong - twin princes were neat, Aldritch was neat, Wolnir was neat, and Nameless King was fantastic as spectacle. Hope the DLC continues that route instead of more Artorias/Maria/Gehrman/AW swordsmen.

Areas
A bit of a letdown here. I don't mind assets borrowed from BB and you can only expect so much in the way of HD art for new areas in a couple years, but similar to BB I didn't think the areas were as distinctive as DS1 and 2. Granted I've only played it for a week, but I can remember place names but not really distinctive features. I'm one of the few who was NOT enthused to see Anor Londo again, though. At least it was basically only a couple rooms to revisit.

The level DESIGN was wonderful - every area had good use of shortcuts with predictable elevator unlocking, not too much unfair overcrowded trap rooms like DS2, dense with branching paths... just thought the game ran together a bit visually. Again, probably more fatigue of the whole series than this particular game. The wooden shantytown, the Archives, and parts of Ithyrill were the hightlights visually. Wish there had been more shift moments like ringing the storm bell in the Peak or beating Rom in BB.

Enemies
Glad to see the BB creativity here again. Crow people, hand-bears, spider-water-bugs, werewolf spider beasts, jailers with hot branding prods, the big crabs, those giant swamp warlocks, the Boreal knights, the big crystal lizards, the freaky crucified witches, the big fire demon... lots of fun variety without overlapping the lovecraft creatures of BB or the typical weirdos of DS1/2. Plus cute touches like seeing the dead mushroom men lying around.

I got frustrated at mimic grab hitboxes. Twice I got OHKO'd when I was well around the side/behind them during the grab but it vortex'ed me in. That was counterbalanced with some EXTREMELY generous hitboxes on some of the bosses I think, where I survived/they whiffed what I thought were sure death hits

Overall
Technically the best game of the 5, and among the best level design and encounter placement IMO. I'm just bummed at myself I guess that I had more of a 'this again...' mentality than a 'wow new souls' mentality I had when DS1 and BB came out. I would not want a DS4 for a while. The design feels a bit too formulaic to me, even if it's my favorite formula. Glad they seem to recognize that too. But I'll obviously get the DLC later this year because they knock those out of the park.

I backed up my save before the endboss so I might try for the other 2 endings before resting the game for a few weeks, as I met the criteria for each of them I think.

Also thank you From! for letting me get souls/medals when a boss kills me as a phantom in the final melee but the host still wins. You get a ~5 second buffer after you die where you can still reap the rewards if the boss then dies. Very friendly.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 18, 2016

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Really hope none of you are behind this m'lady ur casual steam group

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky
I wonder how aldia's doing after all these years

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The bosses in this game are the best ones in the series imo

strangemusic
Aug 7, 2008

I shield you because I need charge
Is not because I like you or anything!

The Souls games have always had a moment where you're kind of plodding along, fighting farmers with pitchforks and maybe a knight, and then WHAMMO out of nowhere, crazy crazy all up in your face. Like the way Bloodborne transforms into monstergod apocalypse mode after you kill Rom. I feel like Abyss Watchers is that moment. It's amazing and I love it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :swoon:

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Yoel gave me a shitload of free levels then peaced out, now some lady is here what the gently caress happened.

Yarrington
Jun 13, 2002

While I will admit to a certain cynicism, I am a nay-sayer and hatchet man in the fight against violence. I pride myself in taking a punch and I'll gladly take another.
How are people doing a pyromancy build? I'm at roughly level ~35 and still using the deep axe, with ~18 each int/faith/attunement, relatively minimal str/dex. I think I'm overemphasizing the magic stats though, I still do most of my work in melee and I have a kind of low stamina bar

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I think so far I am really happy with DS3, but I am also really happy they said this is the end of the series. I love the formula, and they do enough to keep things different, but no matter how much I like it I think if a DS4 were to come out I probably wouldn't get it on release day.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Yoel gave me a shitload of free levels then peaced out, now some lady is here what the gently caress happened.

That's what he does.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Tequila Sunrise posted:

I missed him on the first playthrough, but got him the second time around. Will I find him at Firelink after the initial meet?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

codo27 posted:

I missed him on the first playthrough, but got him the second time around. Will I find him at Firelink after the initial meet?

Yeah hes in a little area in the back, on the smiths side of the shrine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Tequila Sunrise posted:

He told you those levels were ~dark magic~ and you should have realized it was a Faustian bargain.

Also that lady is pretty much Mephistopheles from DeS and she wants you to stab people.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
not my wubbum
https://i.4cdn.org/vg/1460992277789.webm

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Talk to the nice lady. You're on a pretty cool quest line.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

You've now hollowed oh dark lord. Thanks Yoel!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I don't know what any of that means but im down2stab

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Should Greirat be selling me the pontiff curved sword from Irithyll on my fresh deprived character?

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Congratulations on your free makeover!

Mimingless
Nov 23, 2007
Oh no, I have a self-esteem issue

Zaphod42 posted:

He told you those levels were ~dark magic~ and you should have realized it was a Faustian bargain.

Also that lady is pretty much Mephistopheles from DeS and she wants you to stab people.

Only one person, her main functions are to be a merchant(Only place to get the Dark Hand, poison throwing knives, the Londor Divine Tome and purging stones) and her questline leads into the third ending, you don't have to kill Orbeck for that though.

Ah, if you heal the Dark Sigil she leaves firelink.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Congratulations on your free makeover!

Y am i beef jerky now?!

Lysandus
Jun 21, 2010
Giant seeds are the most fun thing in the game.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Hey so I'm looking for the name of an enemy I saw in the trailer. It's a big cage, about the height of a person, that has corpses inside of it that flail their arms and hit you. Googling isn't helping.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Y am i beef jerky now?!

Hollowing is a timeless undead fashion statement.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Oh god did i trade all the moisture in my body for levels? I knew i shouldn't have trusted that shifty turtlebacked transient

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tequila Sunrise posted:

Oh god did i trade all the moisture in my body for levels? I knew i shouldn't have trusted that shifty turtlebacked transient

You can temporarily reverse it with a Purging Stone or by visiting a certain statue in the Undead Settlement. You'll hollow again the next time you die, though.

You can permanently reverse it, too, but it costs a ton of souls and locks you out of the rest of Yuria's quest.

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
Sure, Dark Souls 3, put the only two good transposed weapons for Dex builds on the same endgame boss.

Which one, Storm Curved Sword or Dragonslayer Swordspear? The latter seems like it would be so good at punishing runners.

e: oh, nevermind, swordspear requires 18 fth. Ugh.

f#a# fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 18, 2016

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Haha I am so bad at exploring. I got all the way to the place where you need a a small doll to proceed before I realized I had completely loving skipped the entire Cathedral :v:

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
The nice thing is that once you've done all the quests for the story you can ignore them because they didn't lock Titanite Slabs or the best Caryll Rune behind them.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

f#a# posted:

Sure, Dark Souls 3, put the only two good transposed weapons for Dex builds on the same endgame boss.

Which one, Storm Curved Sword or Dragonslayer Swordspear? The latter seems like it would be so good at punishing runners.

If you're leveling Faith at all, the Swordspear owns hard. The curved sword has an infinite stunlock combo, though. They're both good choices, just depends on if you want a spear or curved sword.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

casual poster posted:

Hey so I'm looking for the name of an enemy I saw in the trailer. It's a big cage, about the height of a person, that has corpses inside of it that flail their arms and hit you. Googling isn't helping.

http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Cage%20Spider I think.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

As is the tradition, first attempt after taking a break of a day or so, and Aldrich is dead dodo. Thanks for the advice, everyone who told me to just run away more.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.

That's it! Thanks!

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
So...Old Demon King.

Dude does not gently caress around, huh? :stare:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

casual poster posted:

Hollow Cage

E: Too late, also wrong apparently.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

With the patch my Sharp Claymore +4 is 240 AR compared to my Heavy Dark Sword +4 being 205, at 16/18 str/dex. So that's a big jump.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Obligatum VII posted:

Has anyone done any testing with the Carthus Beacon pyromancy and the pontiff's right eye ring? Do they stack? How does the attack boost work, how many attacks to begin (same as the left eye? Someone said it was like 4-6 hits for the left eye earlier. Do those have to be strictly back-to-back or can there be a slight delay before you lose your 'combo') taking effect and what kind of boost is provided? Do they stack? Is one more potent than the other (if not identical, I assume beacon is better)?

They stack, you absolutely need a fast weapon and they activate after 3 straight sword swings. If you can combo long enough it's a 30% AR increase in both (on paper). In practice the damage boost is so minuscule that you probably won't notice and they probably suck but I made a build around it and I've been sticking to it hoping it'll get buffed (probably not). There's about a 2 second grace period before you lose the buff.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
You people need to start listening to what NPCs say and also use the talk option, that way you will understand why things happen, what they like and what they do not like. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.

HnK416 posted:

So...Old Demon King.

Dude does not gently caress around, huh? :stare:

Honestly, I had the best luck with that boss by just wailing on his rear end relentlessly. My successful attempt (the third or so) I didn't even see him cast the flame circle. Throw on your buffs and go to town, no summons.