Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

jassi007 posted:

So you really don't have any problem with someone asking for a handout to afford luxury stuff they can't afford by themselves? That is really odd to me man. I guess some people are perfectly ok with begging or borrowing outside of actual necessity? And I'm not talking about spot me $10 for lunch today I'll pay you tomorrow I forgot to hit the ATM. I'm talking "please give me $100+ dollars to go play magic cards and also buy or lend me cards" Seems kind of excessive. I've never heard of casual hobby begging before today, but I guess it is a totally ok thing to do. Live and learn right?

Agreed, poor people should have to live as I see fit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

black potus posted:

You're not obligated to pay for other people's hobbies but people wanting to play magic when they don't have cash is not some great sin. I'm not going to begrudge someone asking. Especially to borrow cards wtf, I borrowed cards to go to GP Detroit despite not only not needing to go but also having money to buy the cards. If someone I know wants to borrow cards I care about 0% whether they need to.

It's definitely hosed up to want to make fun of or troll someone for not having enough money to do something they enjoy at the very least. Especially when most people in this thread have spent way more than they need to on this hobby and could help other people out without changing their budget at all if they wanted to.

There is a HUGE difference between borrowing cards and asking people for money. Is that really that hard to understand?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

black potus posted:

You're not obligated to pay for other people's hobbies but people wanting to play magic when they don't have cash is not some great sin. I'm not going to begrudge someone asking. Especially to borrow cards wtf, I borrowed cards to go to GP Detroit despite not only not needing to go but also having money to buy the cards. If someone I know wants to borrow cards I care about 0% whether they need to.

It's definitely hosed up to want to make fun of or troll someone for not having enough money to do something they enjoy at the very least. Especially when most people in this thread have spent way more than they need to on this hobby and could help other people out without changing their budget at all if they wanted to.

Asking your local community to help you play magic is one thing. Asking people to send you to a GP is another. If you can't grasp the big difference is you are a giant idiot.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
To clarify what's hosed up is not that you don't want to give people money to go to GPs, but that it bothers you so much you want to go drop some sick owns on them for not having money.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
I didn't bring up borrowing but thanks.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

There is a HUGE difference between borrowing cards and asking people for money. Is that really that hard to understand?

There's a difference between giving people money that they're asking for, and asking why it bothers people so much that somebody is asking for money.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

rabidsquid posted:

Why does anyone actually care about people asking for money to go to GPs? It's dumb to ask but what does it matter

Totally agree, this is so weirdly judge-y.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

There's a difference between giving people money that they're asking for, and asking why it bothers people so much that somebody is asking for money.

There should be some shame involved when asking for money to buy luxury trips.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

There should be some shame involved when asking for money to buy luxery trips.

Why?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

rabidsquid posted:

I'd say it's pretty impolite to ask complete strangers to do it, but people have donated to the dumbest things on kick starter so :shrug:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
MTG $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

rabidsquid posted:

This is a stupid comparison, but lets delve deeper into why this bothers you so much.

Who said I'm bothered? I'm just making an offer and, who knows, someone might feel magnanimous enough to take me up on it.

Wanting to play Magic is fine. Not having the funds to do it, while still wanting to play is also fine.

Expecting that just because you want something someone else should give it to you is nonsense.

I want a lot of things in life, but I don't feel like anyone else somehow owes me to have those things.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

lockdar posted:

I've entered a SoI sealed league and the MTGO gods decided to grant me this monstrosity...

So far Ive managed to make a somewhat playable B/U or B/G deck out of this but I don't really see something else that's doable. Am I missing something or is this pool that bad?

Pool almost without real removal is rough, but making lemonade out of lemons, UB base is not bad at all. Decent curve, some very powerful cards.

1 Sanitarium Skeleton
1 Thraben Gargoyle
1 Asylum Visitor
1 Pale Rider of Trostad
1 Rancid Rats
1 Niblis of Dusk
1 Stitched Mangler
1 Prized Amalgam
1 Drunau Corpse Trawler
1 Mindwrawck Demon
1 Stitchwing Skaab
1 Lamplighter of Selhoff
1 Stormrider Spirit
1 Geralf's Masterpiece
1 Twins of Maurer Estate
1 Morkrut Necropod
--
16 creatures

1 Just the Wind
1 Jace's Scrutiny
1 Nagging Thoughts
1 Gone Missing
1 Dead Weight
1 Grotesque Mutation
1 Macabre Waltz
--
7 other creatures

9 Swamp
8 Island
--
17 lands

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
MTG $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Spend less on Magic.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Some Numbers posted:

Spend less on Magic.

no

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Sickening posted:

There should be some shame involved when asking for money to buy luxury trips.

Playing magic is good and doesn't hurt anybody, man.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

black potus posted:

This conversation is getting really weirdly close to political ideology, I think that making GBS threads on the poor in general is awful. Making fun of nerds trying to fund GP trips is not at all the same thing.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Jenx posted:

Who said I'm bothered? I'm just making an offer and, who knows, someone might feel magnanimous enough to take me up on it.

Wanting to play Magic is fine. Not having the funds to do it, while still wanting to play is also fine.

Expecting that just because you want something someone else should give it to you is nonsense.

I want a lot of things in life, but I don't feel like anyone else somehow owes me to have those things.

If you weren't bothered you wouldn't make a weird aggressive post about it with a dumb comparison.

jassi007 posted:

This conversation is getting really weirdly close to political ideology, I think that making GBS threads on the poor in general is awful. Making fun of nerds trying to fund GP trips is not at all the same thing.

"Why should they get to go if they can't afford it" isn't the same thing as making fun of them.

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
MTG $3,600
Utility $150

¿Dril?

https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472

black potus
Jul 13, 2006

jassi007 posted:

True I didn't think of the difference between making fun of people who don't have money to do something and making fun of other people who don't have money to do something.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

That was the joke, yes.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

rabidsquid posted:

If you weren't bothered you wouldn't make a weird aggressive post about it with a dumb comparison.

Maybe I did that because it's way too drat hot right now, I can't be bothered to work, and it's entertaining to see this thread chew itself over nonsense?

But okay, fair enough, it's not a proper comparisons. Let's make a proper one - will you please send me a play-set of LotVs? I don't have any, and would really like to have them. If you have PMs enabled I'll send you my address so you can mail them to me.

Does this seem like an at all reasonable request to you?

If yes - please also add a playset of Flooded Strands to that package, since I still haven't gotten around to getting one.

If no - Then we've all been wasting our collective time here spouting bullshit at each other, haven't we? (Yes, we have. This is a rhetorical question.)

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

black potus posted:

True I didn't think of the difference between making fun of people who don't have money to do something and making fun of other people who don't have money to do something.

I guess you can define poor as "not having the money to afford all the luxuries you want" but that isn't how most people define it.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

"What makes these dipshits think anybody wants to send them to a GP" is a fair and funny question, "Why should they get to go to a GP LUXURIES HANDOUTS" is where this all started.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Common decency?

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

mcmagic posted:

Common decency?

Did you just say it's common decency to shame people

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Brother, Can You Spare Two Goyfs

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

Did you just say it's common decency to shame people

It is okay to shame the shameless on this comedy forum.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

me, sweating profusely, thinking: "oh man oh man I better make sure everyone knows I'm cool and normal enough to understand jokes"

nearby plebian: "four mana, cast helicopter parents"

me, leaping over a table: "the card's official name is pia and kiran nalaar. helicopter parents is a real-world phrase used to describe a certain parenting style. in the normal phrase, the helicopter part is metaphorical, as the parents appear to 'hover' over the child at all times, figuratively speaking, obviously they can't levitate that would violate isaac newton. but in this case, these are two people who make thopters, which are like helicopters, and also happen to be a character's parents. so the phrase is the same, but it means a different thing, that is the joke? also how has your day been"

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Sickening posted:

It is okay to shame the shameless on this comedy forum.

I am all for "look at this dipshit, lmao" but "they don't deserve to go" strikes me as weird negativity and not comedy.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Someone who can afford to live comfortably, but does not have the money to go to a GP is not "poor," which makes it socially acceptable to make fun of them for asking for money. I hope this helps settle this debate.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

I am all for "look at this dipshit, lmao" but "they don't deserve to go" strikes me as weird negativity and not comedy.

I never said anyone "doesn't deserve to go" but if someone is acting like a shameless jackass I don't see an issue with pointing that out.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Can someone give me the potion that lets you know with clarity what circumstances people asking for help are in, I need it for a project, I can't tell you what the project is.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Man, people sure are stingy and angry when it comes to charity. Helping people feels good, even for non-essential things like helping people play a game that they love.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
I actually agree with mcmagic and Sickening in that it's dumb of these people to ask for a free ticket to Grand Prix events. It's kind of begging for ridicule. There is a big gap between making fun of these people and shaming the poor, however. That is not cool.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
If they need actual help they should be asking for actual necessities/bill payments, not cash so they can go be a goddamn dork for a weekend playing a children's card game.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

black potus posted:

Can someone give me the potion that lets you know with clarity what circumstances people asking for help are in, I need it for a project, I can't tell you what the project is.

Can you point me to your kickstarter already?

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110
i wouldn't give a guy money to go to a gp and i think its mb a little silly to ask but it also doesn't matter and people have donated to much dumber causes

if that guy gets to play at a gp taht he couldn't have otherwise out of the kindness of others' hearts then that is good and cool, imo

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Molybdenum posted:

If they need actual help they should be asking for actual necessities/bill payments, not cash so they can go be a goddamn dork for a weekend playing a children's card game.

I bet it feels real good to dictate how other people spend their money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Molybdenum posted:

Yeah see it's stuff exactly like this that's being dressed up as "it's dumb to ask" but this is like infinity leagues away from that and coming from a totally different sentiment.

• Locked thread