Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Great Joe posted:

Bulletstorm's design is the most brilliant loving thing. Slides own, skillshots own, shooting with pals who make funny jokes about being stranded on a resort planet owns.

edit: The fact that Borderlands got two sequels and Bulletstorm got none is a travesty.
Sadly the main guy behind both Painkiller and Bulletstorm went on to open a new studio in order to make The Vanishing of Ethan Carter :(. Bulletstorm was perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

MinibarMatchman posted:

But the worst was just the godawful "humor" in the first story mission because holy poo poo

I like how the game makes the boss fight take twice as long as it needs to so that they can have some HILARIOUS dialogue about the boss thinking it's a giant spider. Oh, and since you have to grind missions be prepared to hear the HILARIOUS dialogue over and over again until you yearn for the sweet release of death.

FirstAidKite posted:

haven't played BL2 but I've heard the writing gets worse because it's mostly just references to internet memes and stuff, and considering how BL1 already had a bunch of stuff like that, I'm not surprised that people don't like BL2 if it really is just a bunch of memes

It has a lot of meme references but even the original stuff comes across like they want people to make a meme out of it. Take note of how many times they reference the unicorn made out of diamonds that poops guns.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Boy the Dark Souls community sure loves putting down sexually explicit messages in front of NPC women

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Not a lot of time to game this weekend but I discovered that I hate the dogfight ship battles in Ratchet and Clank 2

Maybe I'm doing something wrong

Thankfully it doesn't seem like they force all that many of them on you

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Not a lot of time to game this weekend but I discovered that I hate the dogfight ship battles in Ratchet and Clank 2

Maybe I'm doing something wrong

Thankfully it doesn't seem like they force all that many of them on you
I remember there being some button or other that was super useful that the game does a bad job of explaining.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKiR7ASuldE

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Golden Goat posted:

I really wish Telltale took over the writing for Borderlands.

well the main writer has been gone since the pre sequel, thank god. So my guess is they will either hire him back for 3 (please god no) or someone new.

FirstAidKite posted:

I'm kinda eh on the writing, it's not great but it makes me go "heh" in between bouts of blasting people with my alien shotgun and explosive sniper rifle and double anarchy.

haven't played BL2 but I've heard the writing gets worse because it's mostly just references to internet memes and stuff, and considering how BL1 already had a bunch of stuff like that, I'm not surprised that people don't like BL2 if it really is just a bunch of memes

yeah. and pre sequel is worse then that somehow. its a mix of memes, some ok character ideas, twitter gender politics, and poo poo jokes.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jay Rust posted:

Boy the Dark Souls community sure loves putting down sexually explicit messages in front of NPC women

It's a tradition at this point...
A lovely, low-effort joke tradition.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Didn't the main writer from Borderlands have a hilarious meltdown on twitter because he and his wife were in an open relationship, but he couldn't find someone to hook up with while she had found someone super quick?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

Also in front of skeletons

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The first message I wrote was "ahh, skeleton" it was in front a of a body that was technically not a skeleton though, and it's got more down votes than up votes.

"Huh, it's a _________" is the best new funny message template though.

I've found some illusory walls that didn't have messages in front of them, so it felt pretty helpful to put messages in front of them. that and shortcut messages. I've never played a soulsgame this close to release where my messages can be legit helpful to new players.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Golden Goat posted:

You better be filling out and reading bestiary cause it's chock full of good banter between characters.

The journal stuff in Bravely Default was all great too, although I could never keep up with reading it all.
There's a ton of it even just in the demo for Second, which I just got around to finishing yesterday. I want to go out and pick it up since I have a bunch of Best Buy store credit and GCU would be 8 bucks off, but I have this giant pile of unplayed games staring me in the soul...

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

To activate Dark Souls Easy Mode, put down messages like "Fine work!" near a boss' bonfire

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

today is the day I will beat Downwell

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

today is the day I will beat Downwell

I'm sure that'll go down well.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Does Bravely Second remove that thing Bravely Default had where you had to replay the game 5 times to progress or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Unfunny Poster posted:

Didn't the main writer from Borderlands have a hilarious meltdown on twitter because he and his wife were in an open relationship, but he couldn't find someone to hook up with while she had found someone super quick?

Yeah, that's anthony burch. Basically, then he pretended to be bi but eventually she left him and took his stuff.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Lurdiak posted:

Does Bravely Second remove that thing Bravely Default had where you had to replay the game 5 times to progress or whatever.

It's gone, they infact changed something from the Japanese version so you'd have even less repetition.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

I'm sure that'll go down well.
i made it to the final boss yesterday

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Golden Goat posted:

It's gone, they infact changed something from the Japanese version so you'd have even less repetition.

Omg censorship.

But that sounds cool, I might check it out.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

more PC games from Insomniac

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6FFSzb_XXI

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh it's for VR only :(

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Golden Goat posted:

Oh it's for VR only :(

I can't wait to play all these terribleawesome VR games backported to 2d screens in year 201X+1.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 28 minutes!
Oh man, I wish I could play all those Virtual Boy exclusives...

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
It would be super neat if they ported the Wario Land game from Virtual Boy to 3DS

and any other worthwhile VB games; can't think of any other ones

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Bravely Second is due to arrive on Wednesday, which is fine because apparently there's like, entire realms of danger and mystery I failed to discover my first time through Dark Souls 3.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Yeah, that's anthony burch. Basically, then he pretended to be bi but eventually she left him and took his stuff.

lmao

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Bravely Second is due to arrive on Wednesday, which is fine because apparently there's like, entire realms of danger and mystery I failed to discover my first time through Dark Souls 3.

Well I do hope you do find some.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

gossip about relationships is not very fun imo, unlike video games, which are Fun and Good.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I have heard good things about bravely default and bravely second. but the art style kinda turns me off.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

MinibarMatchman posted:

when I tried Battleborn it felt more or less like "borderlands but as MOBA" which is like a match made in shithell for me because the guns still felt wonky. But the worst was just the godawful "humor" in the first story mission because holy poo poo

wait battleborn has a story mode? I thought it was just some MOBA thing gearbox was trying out, did they try to give a MOBA a single player campaign or something?

are there any vids of how awful the humor is?

e: I like anthony burch and ashley burch when they worked on hey ash whatcha playin and there are some funny things in BL2 but I guess anthony burch just really needs an editor or someone to reign him in or something

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Apr 18, 2016

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Stellaris is looking like my jam :neckbeard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Huuacl6oqI

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Finally, a modern space 4X game that doesn't have a UI that offends my visual sensibilities. Looks really promising.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

imagine if borderlands 2 was actually funny

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

FirstAidKite posted:

wait battleborn has a story mode? I thought it was just some MOBA thing gearbox was trying out, did they try to give a MOBA a single player campaign or something?
story mode is not a MOBA, which is weird, it's just like a borderlands main quest without loot drops. the only robot/minion that can spawn is a single support drone (max of one) that either attacks or heals

instead of loot you get gear drops, gear is basically BL's Relics, you can equip 3 at a time and they have the typical grey/blue/green/orange/purple rarity scheme

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

are there any vids of how awful the humor is?

e: I like anthony burch and ashley burch when they worked on hey ash whatcha playin and there are some funny things in BL2 but I guess anthony burch just really needs an editor or someone to reign him in or something

ehh. its "better" then borderlands. and yeah, it sorta has story mode. buts its mostly co-op bot rush.

meh, they were funny back in the day. but then anthony got unfunny and because of his failing marrage, fell into the political hole in twitter and just became a unfunny pathetic self hating wanker. ashley is still sorta funny i guess, but then again she can get voice roles outside her bros projects and has talent.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

So what's with the influx of Lum avatars recently?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ometeotl posted:

:iiam:

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I have heard good things about bravely default and bravely second. but the art style kinda turns me off.

It's chibi sprites and some decent monster designs. You're in it for the funny writing and the sweet job system. Cat wizards!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ometeotl posted:

Everyone loves Rumiko Takahashi.

• Locked thread