Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
yeah i guess someone just blurred the background for journalistic integrity

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2vBJt1iG60

it's not like lovely photoshops are hilariously common or anything, no, must be a klan konspiracy

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

Popular Thug Drink posted:

why is the background on that image so blurry? [...] yeah i guess someone just blurred the background for journalistic integrity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Focus_%28optics%29
:psyduck:

raging bullwinkle
Jun 15, 2011
It's not DOF. Whoever took the picture probably used an app or something to add fake background blur. I don't know why anyone would assume the journos did it, though.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

it's not like lovely photoshops are hilariously common or anything, no, must be a klan konspiracy

Sure, but that doesn't seem to be the case in this instance.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
That is a very awkward mistake.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

like 90% sure someone photoshopped dude on the right's nose/lips larger

What the gently caress is wrong with you and how are you such a weirdo?

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...
^^^ I found this hilariously ironic for some reason ^^^

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

fart rapist warning:

beware this guy, he'll rape your farts

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Darkman Fanpage posted:

I'm 90% sure you're delusional. Please stop looking for cryptoracism image manipulation.

He's not delusional. They did it on magazine covers for Trayvon. They did it for Osama. They did it to Obama. They did it to Lee Harvey Oswald.

Photoshopping/journalistic scrap booking people for media manipulation has been a thing for a loooong time, to the point where it's on 'illustration' status versus photography.

E: have three links from 2015, 2009, and goddamn 1988:

2015: http://www.capturemag.com.au/latest/photo-vs-illustration-and-the-line-that-divides-them

2009: http://jmcolberg.com/weblog/2009/07/about_photo_illustrations/

1988: https://books.google.com/books?id=q...c95ApYQ6AEIQzAK

E: like holy poo poo, seriously, you've never seen White Beyoncé? http://bossip.com/793424/susan-fierce-beyonces-evolution-into-a-white-woman-photo-gallery/

Armani fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Apr 18, 2016

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Armani posted:

hey did it on magazine covers for Trayvon. They did it for Osama. They did it to Obama. They did it to Lee Harvey Oswald.
wait, can anyone provide some examples of this for Trayvon/Obama? I don't mean that as a challenge, I'm just curious and wanna see 'em and google didn't provide much. Unless you mean the Economist cover where they like, made Obama alone on a beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDvG6mByIpU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

TheFallenEvincar posted:

wait, can anyone provide some examples of this for Trayvon/Obama? I don't mean that as a challenge, I'm just curious and wanna see 'em and google didn't provide much. Unless you mean the Economist cover where they like, made Obama alone on a beach.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDvG6mByIpU

well there was a lot of disingenuous use of a five year old photo of trayvon

at 12

at 16-17

please don't get the wrong idea, I'm anything but a Zimmerman supporter but this sort of manipulation just does EVERYONE a disservice. Victim, perpetrator, the public at large...all of us.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Sair
May 11, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

well there was a lot of disingenuous use of a five year old photo of trayvon

at 12

please don't get the wrong idea, I'm anything but a Zimmerman supporter but this sort of manipulation just does EVERYONE a disservice. Victim, perpetrator, the public at large...all of us.

That photo was taken in August of 2011, seven months before he died. He was 16 in that photo. Go gently caress yourself.

This was taken 9 days before he died:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Sair posted:

That photo was taken in August of 2011, seven months before he died. He was 16 in that photo. Go gently caress yourself.

This was taken 9 days before he died:

Well I'm happy to be wrong in this instance. I still think being deliberately misleading did a disservice, since his face did mature appreciably and he looks quite a bit taller in the more recent pic (both very likely for a 16 year old) even if he was not the hulking 7'8" 285lb monster some people wanted to make him out to be

Zimmy, who was not nearly so tubby and helpless looking at the time of the incident as he was at the trial

In case I wasn't clear: gently caress George Zimmerman. And gently caress you if you think the ends justify the means

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Armani posted:

He's not delusional. They did it on magazine covers for Trayvon. They did it for Osama. They did it to Obama. They did it to Lee Harvey Oswald.

OJ too.

This one must have been really obvious with the two magazines next to each other on the news stand.

Edit: Ha ha, I didn't even notice at first, while Newsweek didn't darken him on their cover they did blow up the mugshot number plate so you wouldn't miss it.

deoju fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Apr 18, 2016

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

deoju posted:

OJ too.

This one must have been really obvious with the two magazines next to each other on the news stand.

Edit: Ha ha, I didn't even notice at first, while Newsweek didn't darken him on their cover they did blow up the mugshot number plate so you wouldn't miss it.

I think that's a bit of a stretch, they lowered the overall exposure, added some vignetting, and desaturated the image a little bit. That's not really "darkening" OJ so much as it is a (hamfisted) way of making the cover moody and vaguely unsettling. Which, given OJ's general role as a villain/tragic figure in the US zeitgeist is perfectly logical.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

:eyepop:

via facebook

edit: forgot to edit someone out. :effort:

double nine fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 18, 2016

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGU0wCGw79k

Barometer
Sep 23, 2007

You travelled a long way for
"I don't know", sonny.
:whip: :cthulhu: :shivdurf:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

:lol:

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

deoju posted:

Time actually shrunk theirs!

LogisticEarth posted:

I think that's a bit of a stretch, they lowered the overall exposure, added some vignetting, and desaturated the image a little bit. That's not really "darkening" OJ so much as it is a (hamfisted) way of making the cover moody and vaguely unsettling. Which, given OJ's general role as a villain/tragic figure in the US zeitgeist is perfectly logical.

Uh, it was widely called racist when the magazine was first released and Time ended up apologising

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Laughing maniacally, Tal-ur, Immortal Queen of Destruction, will not relinquish her dreaded throne, even as she is defeated.

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Exclamation Marx posted:

Uh, it was widely called racist when the magazine was first released and Time ended up apologising

I must have missed that particular news cycle. It's not really an unusual way to edit a photo, and removed from any larger outrage I wouldn't otherwise consider it notable. I don't think "trying to fake moody lighting with post processing" is that big of a deal.

Unrelated:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Panty Saluter posted:

Well I'm happy to be wrong in this instance. I still think being deliberately misleading did a disservice, since his face did mature appreciably and he looks quite a bit taller in the more recent pic (both very likely for a 16 year old) even if he was not the hulking 7'8" 285lb monster some people wanted to make him out to be

Zimmy, who was not nearly so tubby and helpless looking at the time of the incident as he was at the trial

In case I wasn't clear: gently caress George Zimmerman. And gently caress you if you think the ends justify the means

Please, please stop perpetuating the Stormfront meme of "12 year old Trayvon Martin" while claiming to be upset about his murder. I'm sorry that he looked less thuggish in his most recent professional photograph than you would personally prefer. Four years ago you might have gotten credit for at least using an actual picture of Trayvon Martin, but really everyone should know better at this point.

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

what is wrong with you people

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Tim to derail this derail with some Russian war crimes.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Kajeesus posted:

Please, please stop perpetuating the Stormfront meme of "12 year old Trayvon Martin" while claiming to be upset about his murder. I'm sorry that he looked less thuggish in his most recent professional photograph than you would personally prefer. Four years ago you might have gotten credit for at least using an actual picture of Trayvon Martin, but really everyone should know better at this point.

You could, you know, actually read what I said. Or continue seeing what you want so you can hold your torch of Morally Superior Outrage.

E: I won't continue this derail further. I was wrong about the picture and that's my bad. I know your opinion is already formed but I guess this is for people who actually read.

Panty Saluter fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Apr 19, 2016

edrith
Apr 10, 2013

A protester makes a heart sign as she is removed from the [Buffalo] Trump rally by sheriff deputies.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/most-germans-oppose-merkel-prosecution-comedian-poll-shows-112020768.html

The Merk signed off on moving forward with the prosecution of a comedian for making a joke at the expense of everyone's favorite tinpot dictator.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

They're just using the iron fist of government to prove once and for all how friendly and not-fascist they are its pretty simple.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:

yep
tag yourself im gently caress
..........................ISRAEL

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Today Peter Liang's manslaughter conviction was reduced to criminally negligent homicide and he was sentenced to 5 years probation and hundreds of hours of community service.

As much as I realize that our penal system is a terrible punitive wreck to which no human should be exposed, the fact that a cop will not spend a single day in a cell for actively attempting to cover up his own murder of a homeless man flips my compassion switch all the way off. the NYPD is so horrifically broken.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

:ironicat:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
THE DRONE KING DEMANDS ALL INFERIOR BRITISH DRONES BE WIPED FROM HIS PRESENCE.

it is only right.

• Locked thread