Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

CLAM DOWN posted:

Do you have any links about this? I definitely believe you, I'm just curious what tests and research have been done.

Honestly, I don't, other than what's been repeated in this thread. Quick charging produces significantly higher temperatures which are not ideal for batteries.

That said according to Qualcomm and the manufacturers it is perfectly safe so it's really up to you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
Goldmine

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

grimcreaper posted:

Meanwhile, Samsung trounces all over everyone. Just wait until Tizen becomes a fully fledged phone OS and easily strips the Android and iOS market of the majority of their users.

Samsung would like this to happen, sure, that's why they've got Tizen in the first place, but it turns out Samsung is poo poo at software (and Android and iOS have the market sewn up between them). It's not gonna happen.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

Desk Lamp posted:

Honestly, I don't, other than what's been repeated in this thread. Quick charging produces significantly higher temperatures which are not ideal for batteries.

That said according to Qualcomm and the manufacturers it is perfectly safe so it's really up to you.

It's why I avoid wireless charging too. Heat is battery death.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
heh all these scrubs that don't throw away their battery at the end of the day and put in a brand new one :smug:

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

It still shouldn't be a setting, that would be trivial to adjust for automatically.

But of course, Samsung added a setting. Like, I'm not as anti-Samsung as some of the people here, but Samsung loves their settings.

I guarantee you that no one but the nerds in threads like this one are actually changing that setting.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

feedmegin posted:

Samsung would like this to happen, sure, that's why they've got Tizen in the first place, but it turns out Samsung is poo poo at software (and Android and iOS have the market sewn up between them). It's not gonna happen.

Also developing for Tizen is a total tire fire, from what I've heard from people who have dealt with it. It leans on stuff from Enlightenment. Remember Enlightenment? The late 90s X11 window manager that could make your Linux desktop look like a Lisa Frank coloring book or a Doom level? Yep, that same Enlightenment.

Even if Samsung tried to pack in an Android runtime for Tizen it still wouldn't have Play Services, so stuff still wouldn't work without developer involvement.

Give a mobile OS relies upon an app ecosystem to get traction in the market, and nobody wants to develop for your radioactive trainwreck of a platform, it's dead in the water.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Any obvious reason trying to send a text with Google now voice commands has stopped working for me? Recognizes my contacts' names correctly, transcribes my message, just says "message could not be sent." The old-fashioned way works fine. Marshmallow with the April update on a 5X with Project Fi. Had worked in the past, not sure when it broke.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.

TollTheHounds posted:

Get your bingo cards ready, because I loving love this Blackberry Priv
:canada:

I agree, a mid-level priced device would have sold much better. I hope you don't get short-changed on software updates. :shobon:

mom and dad fight a lot fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Apr 17, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol People are responding seriously to an obvious troll about Tizen. No one wants Tizen.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

lol People are responding seriously to an obvious troll about Tizen. No one wants Tizen.

If this is a troll account, it's the best one. Literally a collection of the wrongest tech opinions ever (emphasis mine):

grimcreaper posted:

Both companies are excellent. Each has its pros on and cons, and some people cant handle that. I dream of a future when our Mobile OS of choice is actually a full Windows non-mobile install that runs full windows applications and games with no issues. Then Google and Apple can quietly feel the shame of creating mobile only platforms that are boring and made for Tap Titans only style games instead of good things.

grimcreaper posted:

Actually, not at all. I really think within the next 5 years or so we will see a full fledged windows OS running on a phone using intel cpus that can handle full app/game functionality to some, if relatively minor, degree. Look at how powerful phones are right now and just imagine the day WindowsBEST takes over as the primary mobile market. The day will be glorious.

grimcreaper posted:

i like the samsung apps. They bring versatility to a bare device. Unlike Nexus which requires you to search out those nasty 3rd party non-google apps on your own. I get to experience the joys of the Samsung App Ecosystem, finely tuned to bring me a great experience. The Google "pure" experience forces you to go outside of their hugbox and find those apps which dont mesh correctly with the True Pure(TM) Google Experience.

grimcreaper posted:

Well considering TouchWiz is the best overall flavor I can't say Google is doing anything wrong at this point.

grimcreaper posted:

I still want flash on my phone.

grimcreaper posted:

Serious answer: no I'm not.

There are a lot of websites that still use flash. Html 5 is a hell of a lot better but it's still not mainstream enough yet sadly.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

He and Shaggar should high five.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

feedmegin posted:

Honestly I am surprised Samsung didn't buy WebOS and turn it into its own. It will was still early enough in the game where their marketing power and devices could have made the difference.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
I think Tizen is simply one of Samsung's contingency plans in case Google ever challenges their dominance of Android. If that were ever to happen it's far more likely that they would fork Android, unless Tizen gets some serious traction which I really don't see happening.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

I think Tizen is simply one of Samsung's contingency plans in case Google ever challenges their dominance of Android. If that were ever to happen it's far more likely that they would fork Android, unless Tizen gets some serious traction which I really don't see happening.

Pretty much accurate. The common story was always that the plan was for Samsung's services and apps to usurp the standard ones while acclimating users to using the Samsung app store, then they'd just all at once swap their phones to using Tizen. They'd look and behave essentially the same as they did before but obviously without Google services.

Obviously it would be an all-or-nothing thing because of the way the Open Handset Alliance is set up but their "amazing" profits evaporated as Apple continued to take the high end and and the Chinese ate away all of the low end. Then Google sold Motorola (which was a point of contention for Samsung) and they publicly announced that they were best of friends now. The reality is that both needs the other far more than either one of them would like and that's just the way it is.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

My N7 2013 stopped auto-rotating after a reboot this morning. The problem persists through reboots no matter what the rotation setting is.

I'm guessing the accelerometer just died, but is there a possible fixable software cause for this?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I had that happen with my N10 once. It wasn't permanent, but it did need a factory reset to resolve.

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy
Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I don't see it in the OP or in the apps thread...

Does anyone have suggestions for nice live wallpapers? I do quite like the animated background and something space themed would be great. There's just too much garbage to trawl through on most sites, so I don't think I've made much progress finding anything that's either not poo poo, not a battery hog or paid. I don't mind paying if it's really good, but most of the crap on offer is not worth the 99c asking price.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME
I'm looking at getting a Galaxy S7 or the S7 Edge tomorrow. Is there any real difference in functionality or is the Edge just a bit bigger and has the curved screen?

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Stumpalitious posted:

I'm looking at getting a Galaxy S7 or the S7 Edge tomorrow. Is there any real difference in functionality or is the Edge just a bit bigger and has the curved screen?

Aside from the size and screen it has a bigger battery as well.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

Squish posted:

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I don't see it in the OP or in the apps thread...

Does anyone have suggestions for nice live wallpapers? I do quite like the animated background and something space themed would be great. There's just too much garbage to trawl through on most sites, so I don't think I've made much progress finding anything that's either not poo poo, not a battery hog or paid. I don't mind paying if it's really good, but most of the crap on offer is not worth the 99c asking price.

As far as space themed live wallpapers go, the Galaxy series by Maxelus.net is pretty nice and requires no permissions.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Squish posted:

I've used the beautiful widgets live wallpaper for years. Needs upgraded graphics, but its nicely animated and instantly shows you time of day and weather. Plus the grass animation is just cool to play with.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Not live but Tapet is great

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sharpregion.tapet

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

i seriously forgot i had trolled that post.

On a serious note, i dont even want Tizen on my watch. If i could put AndroidWear on my S2 id be a lot happier. But, it is what it is. The S2 is a nice watch overall and has great features.

LastInLine posted:

If this is a troll account, it's the best one. Literally a collection of the wrongest tech opinions ever (emphasis mine):

Sometimes I try, sadly i think the Tizen one was a bit too tryhard. But thanks for the post catch ups, i had a few good ones in there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Muzei is a good wallpaper app, I use the HD Landscapes addon.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

I just found this the other day. It's pretty loving cool. You can just cycle through and save whatever you like and build up a nice collection to refer back to, or you can just have it automatically change on a regular basis.

buttchugging adderall
May 7, 2007

COME GET SOME

Skeezy posted:

Aside from the size and screen it has a bigger battery as well.

Does the normal S7 typically make it through the day without needing a charge? Because I think i would prefer that one as long as it does.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Stumpalitious posted:

Does the normal S7 typically make it through the day without needing a charge? Because I think i would prefer that one as long as it does.

I get about 5 or 6 hours screen on time. The latest update has improved idle battery time too.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

CLAM DOWN posted:

Muzei is a good wallpaper app, I use the HD Landscapes addon.

Tapet works with it too :science:

spiky butthole
May 5, 2014
I use IF to set wallpapers from NASA's photo of the day. Really stunning.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Skarsnik posted:

Tapet works with it too :science:

Whoaaaaa that's rad

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
What options do I need to change to get this stupid s7 to stop connecting automatically to unsecured wifi?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Kytrarewn posted:

What options do I need to change to get this stupid s7 to stop connecting automatically to unsecured wifi?

Uh, tap/hold and forget the network? This doesn't happen to me...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Uh, tap/hold and forget the network? This doesn't happen to me...

It's a brand new phone, it shouldn't have any saved networks. And if it does, they shouldn't be "CoxWiFi" in some random place as I drive past it.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Kytrarewn posted:

It's a brand new phone, it shouldn't have any saved networks. And if it does, they shouldn't be "CoxWiFi" in some random place as I drive past it.

Sounds like a lovely bundled carrier app doing it

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Kytrarewn posted:

The only options for auto-connecting to wifi on mine are Passpoint Certified and AT&T Hotspot Wifi access points. Both were disabled by default.

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Kytrarewn posted:

Did you import from a previous device? My S7 imported all my saved wifi passwords from my old S4 when I switched over.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Sorry I can't be more specific but look around in the config options for using wi-fi networks and data. I seem to remember an option somewhere (but not in wi-fi settings) that controlled whether it would just automatically start using any network.

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...

Airborne Viking posted:

:canada:

I agree, a mid-level priced device would have sold much better. I hope you don't get short-changed on software updates. :shobon:

Well I'm not exactly expecting N to hit this thing, but I'll be happy when Marshmallow does since it seems imminent, all the reviews I've read of beta testers ( you can apply to be a beta tester ) have been overwhelmingly positive in the same ways as everyone else going from Lollipop ( basically the same but more refined/better, better battery life etc ), so I don't expect much of a delay. In terms of security updates Blackberry releases them even before Google does to the Nexus lines ( by a day or 1 FWIW ) so I'm not concerned about that angle.

The 2 mid-rangers they're going to offer are going to be around the $4-500 mark, 1 with dedicated keyboard and 1 just a slab ( ala Z30 ), both with a fingerprint reader.

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/04/blackberry-plans-to-launch-two-mid-range-android-phones-this-year-says-ceo/

Hopefully not too little too late at this point, but honestly I was sure they were going to tank 2 years ago, so hopefully in 2017 I'll be able to buy a Priv 2. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Doctor Butts posted:

Sorry I can't be more specific but look around in the config options for using wi-fi networks and data. I seem to remember an option somewhere (but not in wi-fi settings) that controlled whether it would just automatically start using any network.

I just dug through my Verizon S7 and couldn't find that. I recall something in the past, but unsure. I had to use an iPhone for a few months, so it could have been an Apple thing.