Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I see Blackbeard being Luffy's climactic battle. Oda made a point to show how different, on a personal level, he and Luffy were as soon as he was introduced. Blackbeard is who Luffy will need to overcome to fulfill his dream of becoming the Pirate King.

I see Akainu as an epilogue fight. He's gotta be defeated, and just because Luffy doesn't talk of revenge doesn't mean he won't want to punch his face in. Luffy doesn't talk about anything beyond the current day. Akainu killed Ace, left that giant scar on Luffy's chest, and he's going down by the fist of either Luffy, Sabo, or both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

tsob posted:

He didn't use the war to grab those crewmates though - he used his position as a Warlord. That the war was happening at roughly the same time was essentially coincidence. Whitebeard beat Blackbeard easily. So did Sengoku. He refused to fight Shanks and a few days later he literally ran away instead of fighting Akainu despite having his entire crew there and knowing what he was doing. Akainu was such a massive obstacle he didn't mind his crew knowing he'd rather run than fight him, since they presumably understood why.

He did get Whitebeard's fruit, which was what he was there for, but it's hard to say he won when he got beat so easily twice and only achieved that when other people killed Whitebeard for him.

Blackbeard gained the most from the whole situation. The fact that he did it without actually winning any battles is not particularly relevant.

e: to this particular discussion at least. Thematically it piles on how he's a loser and a coward and all these other negative things, but he's still succeeding and marching forward with his dreams.

v exactly v

Dr Subterfuge fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 17, 2016

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

I'd argue it's even a point in his favor - Mihawk mentions that the scariest thing about Luffy is how good he is at getting people to help him (which helps him take control of events/win battles/etc.) but Blackbeard's the opposite. People might not like him, but he's great at finding the perfect moment where he can step in and things will go in his favor even if he loses or people don't help him out.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

tsob posted:

He didn't use the war to grab those crewmates though - he used his position as a Warlord. That the war was happening at roughly the same time was essentially coincidence. Whitebeard beat Blackbeard easily. So did Sengoku. He refused to fight Shanks and a few days later he literally ran away instead of fighting Akainu despite having his entire crew there and knowing what he was doing. Akainu was such a massive obstacle he didn't mind his crew knowing he'd rather run than fight him, since they presumably understood why.

He did get Whitebeard's fruit, which was what he was there for, but it's hard to say he won when he got beat so easily twice and only achieved that when other people killed Whitebeard for him.

Yeah. Blackbeard got beaten into a crying mess by the man he betrayed and only survived thanks to the guy being old as hell and covered in wounds, and he still needed his crew to get the job done for him. But I don't know how you can call Marineford anything but a victory for Blackbeard. He comes in kills Whitebeard and steals his fruit for himself, greatly adding to his strength.

The Marines? They lost terribly. Suffered huge casualties and only managed to reignite a new pirate age.

The Whitebeard Pirates? They probably had it worst. They utterly failed in their objective of saving Ace, lost their captain, and were unable to avenge either of them.

The Red Hair Pirates do a lot better. They stop the war without firing a shot and get out with no casualties. But they basically just break even. They lose nothing but don't really gain anything either.

Marineford ends with Marshall D Teach proclaiming that this is his era, and he subsequently becomes one of the 4 emperors and crushes the remnants of his old crew in a war. Sure he got wrecked, and wrecked hard but his star's been rising ever since and while even after the timeskip I doubt he's the strongest enemy in the world he's still growing stronger and increasing his position. Just like he's been doing ever since he entered into the series. The fact that he's not the strongest in the world but has been shown slowly gaining power and notoriety just makes me think it more likely he's the "final boss" persay. Moreso than Akainu at least, who's only just a step behind him.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Guys.

Three-way final battle between Akainu, Blackbeard and Luffy at the same time.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
I want Coby to take down Akainu.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
You're all wrong. There's another character with perhaps even more reason to beat the poo poo out of Akainu than Luffy or Sabo.

Robin's gonna finally get that fight we've been waiting for and wreck his poo poo for the dead of Ohara.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I'm just happy they set up Sabo's possible end game as Prince Steggy

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

tsob posted:

Blackbeard being more entertaining (and I agree) and having more weight does not mean he will be the last fight. I'd also disagree with that last part, since I think beating up the leader of the Marines and destroying their system as well as what he represents (the Void century, oppression, Absolute Justice) has, to me, more weight than beating up another pirate. Because he brings that system and essentially the weight of the world with him. Blackbeard doesn't. Even with all his ships and crews and allies he simply isn't and can't represent as much as Akainu, as leader of the Marines can conceptually, since the Marines are a bigger system with more history. And thus, more weight when they're brought down.

This would be true. If Luffy was going after either of them. He isn't though, because that's not the narrative One Piece follows. Luffy only goes after people that are directly troubling him or his allies. Which neither Akianu or Blackbeard are for the moment. And almost certainly won't till the end of the story, since it makes for a better climax to deal with them at the end (in whatever order you think), rather than mid-story. They're both being set up as antagonists and have been for a long time. Akainu has done more to earn the protagonist's ire in my opinion, as well as being introduced later and as such, likely to be dealt with later because of it. And a load of other stuff like killing Ace.

He's met Luffy twice now I think, on both Jaya and Impel Down. Akainu has only met him once and while he's shouted at him they've yet to really speak. Which I doubt they will properly at any point before their fight, since I doubt there'll be any real opportunity to at this point.

no, I meant dragon has met luffy once

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gyges posted:

You're all wrong. There's another character with perhaps even more reason to beat the poo poo out of Akainu than Luffy or Sabo.

Robin's gonna finally get that fight we've been waiting for and wreck his poo poo for the dead of Ohara.

this is less likely than HxH never going on hiatus again

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Shoren posted:

I see Akainu as an epilogue fight. He's gotta be defeated, and just because Luffy doesn't talk of revenge doesn't mean he won't want to punch his face in. Luffy doesn't talk about anything beyond the current day. Akainu killed Ace, left that giant scar on Luffy's chest, and he's going down by the fist of either Luffy, Sabo, or both.

Oda has repeatedly stated that he wants the final chapter of One Piece to be it's best and that he builds up stuff toward it constantly. That he imagines it being a huge battle that puts Marineford to shame. An epilogue doesn't sound like it's in the cards, especially one where the Strawhats either aren't involved or are just doing something with no real build up behind it like a proper arc would give them.

Dr Subterfuge posted:

Blackbeard gained the most from the whole situation. The fact that he did it without actually winning any battles is not particularly relevant.

The point being made wasn't that Blackbeard gained the most from the situation, but that he was the only one to walk away with a victory. Which he wasn't, because Shanks did too and Sengoku flat out stated that as far as the Marines were concerned it was a victory. I wouldn't class Blackbeard's exit as victory he himself earned, nor that he got the last laugh, so much as it being a victory that came to him, but he wasn't the only one to get one regardless. I'd say Shanks got the last laugh since he actually got what he wanted with no losses. He doesn't have to gain position from those things to have gotten a win.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Marineford ends with Marshall D Teach proclaiming that this is his era, and he subsequently becomes one of the 4 emperors and crushes the remnants of his old crew in a war. Sure he got wrecked, and wrecked hard but his star's been rising ever since and while even after the timeskip I doubt he's the strongest enemy in the world he's still growing stronger and increasing his position. Just like he's been doing ever since he entered into the series. The fact that he's not the strongest in the world but has been shown slowly gaining power and notoriety just makes me think it more likely he's the "final boss" persay. Moreso than Akainu at least, who's only just a step behind him.

His star has peaked though. He's an Emperor and won't ever be more than that. He's been one with 2 years without gaining any significant position, only fruits and maybe territory. Akainu has higher he can climb since he can become Commander-in-Chief of the World Government (instead of Kong). Blackbeard has no higher position he can gain. He can't even really gain notoriety, since any act he does isn't going to make him any scarier or more highly placed to the public than a Emperor.

Gyges posted:

Does Robin even know it was Akainu?

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I'm just happy they set up Sabo's possible end game as Prince Steggy

Have we seen him before? With the blonde hair and the manga hiding his face by having him look out a window I assumed he was one of Sanji's brothers or something.

Manatee Cannon posted:

no, I meant dragon has met luffy once

Oh, never mind then. Yea, he only met him the once in Loguetown. No way the manga ends without them meeting or Dragon doing something significant though.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Stelly is Sabo's adopted brother.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

tsob posted:

Oda has repeatedly stated that he wants the final chapter of One Piece to be it's best and that he builds up stuff toward it constantly. That he imagines it being a huge battle that puts Marineford to shame. An epilogue doesn't sound like it's in the cards, especially one where the Strawhats either aren't involved or are just doing something with no real build up behind it like a proper arc would give them.

An epilogue inasmuch as Luffy has achieved his goal in becoming the Pirate King by reaching Raftel, finding One Piece, and learning about the Void Century, however the World Government would still exist and still need toppling. Cue the Straw Hat Armada assaulting Mariejois, leading to an even greater war than when Whitebeard attacked Marineford. Luffy v. Blackbeard would be the most climactic one-on-one fight, but the epilogue would contain the most climactic large-scale fight.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this might be the first chapter in a while i've gone back to read a few days later, just for carrot

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

dordreff posted:

I want Coby to take down Akainu.

That would be the most fitting way to defeat his idea of Justice.

Sub Harrison
May 2, 2013

If anything, I bet Coby will fight Luffy just before Sabo Vs. Akainu.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

judging by coby's growth thus far, by the next time we see him he'll be the size of garp and have yet another completely different face that barely looks anything like the last one

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And be even more flashy and useless than he is right now

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

And be even more flashy and useless than he is right now

He's not that flashy.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
i like how people are saying carrot isnt strong cause she caught luffy off guard even though luffys dodged blindsided lasers without so much of a sweat i honestly think carrot and jinbei are gonna be SH's by the end of the arc

edit: TS luffy STILL hasnt really had a challenge of a fight unless you count getting tired a bit from doffy so if carrot DID join the SH's i'd guess her power level is around the robin/brook/franky group

drjuggalo fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Apr 18, 2016

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

i like how people are saying carrot isnt strong cause she caught luffy off guard even though luffys dodged blindsided lasers without so much of a sweat i honestly think carrot and jinbei are gonna be SH's by the end of the arc

Who's saying she isn't strong? She was shown as strong from her first introduction.

Plus she's a goddamn mink, all these guys are strong.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Asuron posted:

Who's saying she isn't strong? She was shown as strong from her first introduction.

Plus she's a goddamn mink, all these guys are strong.

i guess its more a 4chan thing but people for some reason dont like her (also whoever guessed carrot sneaking on the ship deserves a sticker)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

drjuggalo posted:

i guess its more a 4chan thing but people for some reason dont like her (also whoever guessed carrot sneaking on the ship deserves a sticker)

People are stupid.

A lot of Korean readers don't like the samurais or Raizo.

They're also stupid.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

drjuggalo posted:

I thought it was obvious she was coming along for the ride when both she and Pedro appeared on that amazing cover art Oda did. If they could've taken along anime Garfield it would've been even better.

Also just ignore 4chan. There is literally nothing worthwhile to be gained from reading any opinions you see there.

Drink Top
Jul 21, 2012

Pureauthor posted:

Guys.

Three-way final battle between Akainu, Blackbeard and Luffy at the same time.

I wouldn't imagine it at the same time, but I could see a weakened Luffy and Akainu being ambushed by Blackbeard.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014

Asuron posted:

I thought it was obvious she was coming along for the ride when both she and Pedro appeared on that amazing cover art Oda did. If they could've taken along anime Garfield it would've been even better.

Also just ignore 4chan. There is literally nothing worthwhile to be gained from reading any opinions you see there.

every here and there some random poster will guess the most bizzare weirdest poo poo and it ends up being true so i still keep tabs on it, you just have to wade through the 95% of bullshit in the OP threads

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

People are stupid.

A lot of Korean readers don't like the samurais or Raizo.

They're also stupid.

I actually hate Raizo's design. But he's a cool enough character so it's fine.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I don't like carrot because she has the same innocent naivete that Chopper had about the world and adds nothing more to the group.

I also find her character annoying. She is my Sanji, I guess.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Crazyeyes posted:

I don't like carrot because she has the same innocent naivete that Chopper had about the world and adds nothing more to the group.

How can you know this? We've had all of one chapter where the crew is properly interacting with her. it's definitely way too soon to say she adds nothing.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

This doe-eyed optimism that Carrot will join the crew is touching, but she isn't joining the crew; she will maybe get to win a fight with her super jump and electro powers and will otherwise serve as a fun character for the arc. That is all she is getting. Sorry.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
there are only going to be more crew members if we see blackbeard get more and it seems unlikely as 10 members of each is a decent number

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Jose posted:

there are only going to be more crew members if we see blackbeard get more and it seems unlikely as 10 members of each is a decent number

There's already 11 named Blackbeard Pirates, that horse is fierce.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Okay, serious question here.

Since when did Luffy start eating vegetables??

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

first jinbei, now carrot... does the one piece thread even know how to love anymore ....

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Hi, I came here post that I think Carrot is cool.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Since they already have Chopper, there's only room left in the crew for a giant and one of the various sky people.

Kind of wish mini mini filler giant was official and joined the crew. Never, ever do the wear Luffy like a horrific armor thing, but otherwise she was cool.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Chopper and/or Luffy are the giant(s). Nami has sky people gadgets and training I guess. Which kind of counts. She's also an orphan, so she could be a sky person, never know.

tsob fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Apr 18, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Crazyeyes posted:

I also find her character annoying. She is my Sanji, I guess.

If Carrot gets into a fight before Nami (and right after she got her new tool) I swear I will be so freaking nettled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

Okay, serious question here.

Since when did Luffy start eating vegetables??
Either via mandate from Sanji, Chopper or Nami, or a joint mandate from all three. That's my belief.