Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm really confused about infusion. Is it ever a good idea for pure melee people like me?

I see that I can infuse my Uchigatana with a raw gem and it looks like it will take it from 184 to 232 physical damage while slightly decreasing all of the guard absorption stats. Seems like a worthy trade, but it also looks like it KILLS the attribute bonus, so that increasing my dexterity or strength when I level up will no longer improve its stats? Is the idea to wait until the weapon is +10 before infusing it so that the attribute bonus won't matter? Is that even a thing?

I've never bothered with this stuff before because to be honest, I barely understand the stats screen beyond "leveling up makes things work better."

Raw/Fire/Deep infusions are good if you don't plan on heavily increasing any of your stats, or just for the early game in general when increasing your vigor and endurance are more important than getting higher str/dex than what your weapon requires. Heavy is good for strength builds, Sharp for dex builds, Refined if you increase both. Lightning is faith scaling, Blessed gives hp regen and bonus damage to skellies but has worse scaling and base damage than lightning, Crystal is int scaling, Simple is worse int scaling that gives fp regen, Dark and Chaos are int+faith scaling. Hollowed is luck scaling and also gives you bonus luck if you're hollowed from the dark signs.

Bleed and Poison are poo poo.

+1 through +10 are totally independent of your infusion and never go away, they increase all base and scaling damages.

You can only cast weapon buff spells or use buff items like pine resins on normal, Raw, Heavy, Sharp, and Refined weapons, so in a lot of cases those can be better than Lighting/Crystal/Dark/Chaos infusions depending on what spells you use.

Fajita Queen fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 18, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Can anyone tell me how to get to Siegward in Ithiryll Dungeons? I've searched everywhere I can think of in the surrounding area for the spot opposite his little window by the giant, to no success.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Yeah the crystal gecko's older brothers seem very resistant to magic. I had to grab a club and beat it to death like some kind of savage on my mage character because even my strongest spells didn't break triple digits.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Ok so i have put the giant and the abyss watchers onto their thrones, where on earth do i go next?

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Insurrectionist posted:

Can anyone tell me how to get to Siegward in Ithiryll Dungeons? I've searched everywhere I can think of in the surrounding area for the spot opposite his little window by the giant, to no success.

You go to the next area and backtrack through a window in the toxic swamp area iirc.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I have a question, I've seen a number of people saying they like the sellsword twinblades, but I don't understand them at all. The dualwielding moves seem to not do any more damage than the single hits. Sometimes they do less. Does that ever get better? A lot of the weapon movesets have weird issues, like the partizan's focus skill takes a lot of stamina, takes a long time to complete and ends up dealing less damage than a single heavy attack even if all three hits connect.

To answer my own question, in case anyone later wonders about this, the sellsword twinblades only really suck before they're upgraded. Once they have a few upgrades, the L1s deal more damage than the R1s at the same speed and cost less stamina. And I believe (can't quite tell) the third hit on the L1 deals extra damage and if you manage to chain five or more attacks together, which is not unreasonable in this game, it comes out every second attack after the third.

I can't stop restarting characters, probably because I made the mistake of starting with a faith character, trying something else, going back to my faith character and then starting again. From reading what other people have written, I really dislike two things about this game. First, I hate the item distribution. Early game equipment is almost exactly the same as what you got in previous games, meaning you don't get to play with anything unique until later in the game. Focus skills are good enough on some weapons to make them feel special (uchigatana!), but mostly they seem to suck. That especially fucks over spell casters, since most of the interesting items are locked away at the end of a linear game. The second thing that I hate is that stat requirements for spellcasting are so high as to be unreachable in a normal game without huge sacrifices in both weapon selection and defense. These two flaws create the feeling that spellcasting other than pyromancy is only intended for new game plus, which is no fun at all for players who don't like new game plus in the first place.

I will say that I haven't given up on my faith character, but I've come to two realizations. First, if I want to avoid grinding, every level is so precious that I have to start with a more efficient class than herald. Second, There are no miracles, there is only pyromancy. That scales with faith too and actually does something useful, so every faith character is going to be using pyromancy rather than miracles for the majority of the game until possibly the very end when they actually have the gear and stats to do what they want.

It's a shame that I hate those certain aspects of the game so much, because the level design is great and I think the combat is the best in the series. Weapons still need some more balance, but the game keeps the essence of Dark Souls combat while encouraging the player to be proactive in engaging enemies rather than purely reactive. The difficulty curve is wonky and a fair number of enemies could benefit from some tuning, but the combat is everything I hoped it would be.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

The Shortest Path posted:

You go to the next area and backtrack through a window in the toxic swamp area iirc.

Huh, really? I went there thrice looking for a way but I only found the opening that lets you jump down to ratpit...guess it's back to search again.

E: Ah, I found it. Thanks!

Insurrectionist fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 18, 2016

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ashtarath posted:

Ok so i have put the giant and the abyss watchers onto their thrones, where on earth do i go next?

You need to finish exploring Irithyll. You've missed at least one, possibly two bosses there depending on how far you progressed before getting sidetracked into the dungeon.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Operant posted:

Is the Dancer's soul description implying that the Dancer is some sort of corrupted Gwynevere?

Ithiryll is all kinds of hosed up, man

I'm thinking it's Gertrude http://darksouls3.wiki.fextralife.com/Crystal+Chime

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Insurrectionist posted:

Huh, really? I went there thrice looking for a way but I only found the opening that lets you jump down to ratpit...guess it's back to search again.

If it's where I'm thinking of (I screwed up the questline on my playthrough, so that cell was just empty) it's at the structure in the toxic swamp with the hand-hippos in it and a caster NPC fight on the roof. Right next to where you fight that caster, there's an open window across the stairs you come up from, so you just need a running jump to make it.

Ashtarath
Oct 11, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

You need to finish exploring Irithyll. You've missed at least one, possibly two bosses there depending on how far you progressed before getting sidetracked into the dungeon.

huh, i thought i had given it a pretty drat good run through, will go back and continue exploring i guess

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.

Bass Bottles posted:

I'm really confused about infusion. Is it ever a good idea for pure melee people like me?

I see that I can infuse my Uchigatana with a raw gem and it looks like it will take it from 184 to 232 physical damage while slightly decreasing all of the guard absorption stats. Seems like a worthy trade, but it also looks like it KILLS the attribute bonus, so that increasing my dexterity or strength when I level up will no longer improve its stats? Is the idea to wait until the weapon is +10 before infusing it so that the attribute bonus won't matter? Is that even a thing?

I've never bothered with this stuff before because to be honest, I barely understand the stats screen beyond "leveling up makes things work better."

Raw is a bad idea if you want to play as a STR or DEX character, because it kills the bonus you get from those stats. If you want to use the Uchi, it'd be a good idea to infuse it with a Sharp Stone, which increases the bonus you get from DEX, and then level up your DEX.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

BTW, what rings affect pyromancy? Does the Sage Ring? I can't really tell.

Yeah Sage's ring is incredible for pyromancy

other good rings:
Great Swamp Ring
Witch's Ring
Fire Clutch Ring

not damage but recommended:
Chloranthy ring for inc stamina

sages + chloranthy + fire clutch + witch's is my pure pyromancy setup

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Bass Bottles posted:

It can be a good idea. I couldn't tell you about exact gem/weapon combinations since I haven't (and don't really plan to) look at most of it. Raw is a weird one because it removes all scaling and boosts base damage, so it's really good if you're not planning to push your attributes high or if it's on a weapon that just doesn't have very good scaling in comparison to it's base physical damage. Also, it doesn't matter when you infuse it, a +10 raw uchigatana will always have the same stats.

The Uchigatana is a dex weapon, so if you're pushing your dex high, you could look at sharp, which increases dex scaling and reduces base damage. If you're levelling both strength and dex, you could look at refined, which balances the scaling on both but lowers base damage.

I've put raw on my astora straight sword, which gives the +10 version 64 more damage than the uninfused counterpart, and has some pretty bad scaling (D/D str/dex at +10). I haven't invested too much into either stat so I think I'm better off with it raw. I certainly would be if I hadn't levelled dex a bunch to use another weapon at one point.

Generally speaking, you can ignore infusion. It's good for squeezing out a little extra bit of damage, but a lot of the time the differences are pretty marginal, and is highly build dependent. Working out what's best will all get very spergy, I suspect.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I mean, bonfires and shortcuts are so prevalent that I'm struggling to think of any areas except maybe the Cathedral and Archives where getting invaded and killed would require more than 5 minutes of backtracking. Hell, in most areas you can sprint from one bonfire to the next in like literally 20 seconds.

Invasions are cool because it's something no other games really do in the same way. The whole "twinking" thing has always, imo, been blown out of proportion. I've played every game in the series now and there really was never some huge epidemic of assholes invading with maxed out gear. Yeah it happened now and then, but the vast majority of invasions were someone within a fair level / equipment range.

I dunno, I've always felt like for the most part, this series' fans like to hype up how brutal and hardcore it is, while taking every possible measure to make the games as easy as possible by only going online to summon for bosses, or rolling around with a permanent army of phantoms while they clear areas, etc. (I know this sounds like a "heh, casuals" post). The amount of whining over "twinks" ruining the game or whatever is just silly, but they've basically been trying to make PvP less and less popular with each game, it feels like. At this point the number of advantages hosts have is kinda ridiculous and you either have to be very lucky or very, very good to win invasions beyond the beginning of the game. 2 or 3v1 fights as a rule, easy giant seeds, double estus for the host plus a 40% hp debuff for invaders, and the ability to just run off and heal with impunity just means that this game's PvP is probably going to be totally dead pretty soon.

I wouldn't even really mind that much if they had some kind of arenas implemented for people that just want to fight other players, or if all the covenants actually worked so that people could choose to get involved with PvP or not. It just seems like the solution is "pay PvP lip service but make it so lovely that nobody actually wants to do it anymore," which is sad.

Shrug. Different experiences. I remember getting into DS1 late and my experience was pretty much 100% people invading everywhere pre-Anor Londo with Chaos Blades, ninja rings, +15 Pyromancy, and even several instances of malicious cheating like weapons that curse and egg your characters. You're clearly invested in the PVP so this kind of stuff might not be that big a deal for you, but for someone who was mostly interested in the single player experience, it was the most toxic, vile thing about the game because it just made the experience worse in every way. It completely blows and just ends up hurting the MP in the long run because those people stop playing.

Maybe the current standard in this game will also hurt the MP, but I have a feeling that career invaders aren't going to stop anytime soon, especially considering DS2 practically required long-term invaders to learn to use cheat engine to get their orbs.

Anyway, all the points you're bringing up about bonfires assume that you've reached them and you already know the level. Now that I've finished Road of Sacrifices and the swamp, yeah, I don't have any problem navigating quickly to a bloodstain, but that's because I've cleared 'em out and I know where everything is. Considering this is a new game and you can only be invaded if you haven't killed the boss yet, it's likely that most people getting invaded don't have a solid grasp of the environment yet, or even how to deal with normal enemies.

I think there's a lot of things that could be done to improve the MP, and the game in general. Part of me wishes that there was just a straight up decent lobby for setting up PVP matches like any other game, that way people can get their fights all the time risk and hassle-free, but it's not a very Dark Souls solution.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Any way to remove an infusion? At this point my fire infusion is starting to fall off because I could get more benefit from stats scaling and I'd rather not have to wait until NG+ for another copy of my weapon

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

il serpente cosmico posted:

Raw is a bad idea if you want to play as a STR or DEX character, because it kills the bonus you get from those stats. If you want to use the Uchi, it'd be a good idea to infuse it with a Sharp Stone, which increases the bonus you get from DEX, and then level up your DEX.

Conversely, Raw is a great idea until your stats get high enough, because there's nothing stopping you from hopping around infusions.

Robo Reagan posted:

Any way to remove an infusion? At this point my fire infusion is starting to fall off because I could get more benefit from stats scaling and I'd rather not have to wait until NG+ for another copy of my weapon

You can either infuse it with a different element, or uninfuse it with a shriving stone.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bass Bottles posted:

Increasing upgrades on weapons is always better.

As for infusion, it entirely depends upon your stats. If you have only the basic stats to wield something, Raw, Fire or Deep is best. If you have lots of Strength, go crushing. If you have lots of Dex, go sharp. If you have lots of both, go Refined. If you have lots of Int, go Crystal. If you have lots of Faith, go Lightning. If you have lots of Int and Faith, go Chaos or Dark.

If you look right now and infusing raw makes it do more damage than it does now even with the scaling, then raw is a good idea, HOWEVER think about what stats you might put in as you continue to level. Most weapons have pretty poor scaling at low level, but when they're +10 and you have 50 strength that scaling is HUGE and raw suddenly becomes a bad idea. Raw is good if you're splitting stats between lots of values.

If your strength is currently like 18 and you're not going to put any more into it ever, then go raw. But if you're going to end up taking strength to 40+ by the end of the game, then definitely go refined or crushing instead.

You can always change infusion using a stone and you keep the upgrade levels so you can expiriment and change your mind, but you end up wasting gems so think it through before you do. Leaving it vanilla could be fine if you don't know how you're going to invest your stats.

But probably decide which of your damage stats to focus on, STR, DEX, INT or FTH (or some combination therein) and then start dumping points into that stat, and then infuse appropriately.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
should I upgrade my broadsword to +3 or level my new irithyll straight sword to +2? I dunno which will be better in the end? I want to go for a strength build I guess.

or should I be looking in a different direction?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Ashtarath posted:

huh, i thought i had given it a pretty drat good run through, will go back and continue exploring i guess

You're looking for another path from the shallow lake area.

il serpente cosmico posted:

Raw is great for any build in the very early game (like, pre-Abyss Watchers), before you've probably increased your scaling stats to outdo what Raw adds. Eventually you'll want to drop it, but in the early game it's a good boost.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I think some people are complaining about a "fatigue" with this game that they didn't get with Bloodborne, which is perhaps the best possible reaction to this game one could have. The game is literally about a world that's worn down by constant use; the glory and wonder of the days of Lordran are faded memories, and now you're not just going through the motions, you're actually forcing the motions to go through the motions because...well, it's like King Allant says at the end of Demon's Souls.

Nobody wants to go on.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hot Karl Marx posted:

should I upgrade my broadsword to +3 or level my new irithyll straight sword to +2? I dunno which will be better in the end? I want to go for a strength build I guess.

or should I be looking in a different direction?

Pretty much every weapon is more or less viable, except broken straight sword but even then you could beat the game with it if you wanted to be really badass.

Pick a weapon that looks cool to you and has a moveset you like, don't worry about the stats for picking a weapon.

Once you've picked the weapon, then worry about stats for infusions. But pick weapons based on how cool they look and how fun the moveset is, not if you get +5 damage. Its not enough of a difference to be worth it, and if some weapon is dramatically underbalanced or overpowered it could get nerfed anyways.

Broadsword and Irithyll straight sword are both fantastic weapons.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Plus, Bloodborne was a lot of new gameplay mechanics, a new setting, and a new style. Dark Souls 3 is a bit more grotesque than before, but it's still Dark Souls, and the same world at that.

The best thing DS3 does is that it manages to make DS2 better by virtue of finally establishing a context for it.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Gertrude is almost assuredly someone else based on some other items mentioning her.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm mostly a PvE guy, but always thought the idea of PvP in this would be cool unlike other RPGs where its just a matter of who has grinded out their character the most wins. So you get to throw down some actual skill against other players. And then you get back stabbed from 40 feet away somehow. The quoted post above just seems to reiterate that all invading is really about is inflicting grief

Seizon
Oct 10, 2011

Does the target shield have extra windup frames? :/

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Zaphod42 posted:

Pretty much every weapon is more or less viable, except broken straight sword but even then you could beat the game with it if you wanted to be really badass.

Pick a weapon that looks cool to you and has a moveset you like, don't worry about the stats for picking a weapon.

Once you've picked the weapon, then worry about stats for infusions. But pick weapons based on how cool they look and how fun the moveset is, not if you get +5 damage. Its not enough of a difference to be worth it, and if some weapon is dramatically underbalanced or overpowered it could get nerfed anyways.

it uses twinkling titanite anyways, im a dummy

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm having trouble joining the Mound Makers.

Every time I go up to the guy with the cage, he turns around. I tried sprinting to get there before he can turn and it doesn't work, and if I walk, I can't seem to catch up to him. What's the trick?

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!

Zaphod42 posted:

If you walk without rhythm, you won't attract the worm.

I so, so deeply want this to be an actual thing that you can do.

Real-talk tho, what's a good way to deal with that thing?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

This is extra true with the nice buff greatswords and the two weaker ultra greatswords (Astora and Zweihander) just got.

I'm so excited to go home and enjoy the Astora Greatsword buffs :getin:

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Lysandus posted:

Giant seeds are the most fun thing in the game.
They really are. Saturday night I was in BV right before Pope rear end in a top hat XI and got invaded, the guy ran into that group just below the boss door and stood there emoting at me. I waved at him, popped the seed and watched him get annihilated in about .02 seconds. Invaders just don't know WTF and watching them try to run away from the enemies they were standing behind is the best thing. I'll fight an invader if they want to fight, but I ain't got time for no chickenshit.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Appoda posted:

Shrug. Different experiences. I remember getting into DS1 late and my experience was pretty much 100% people invading everywhere pre-Anor Londo with Chaos Blades, ninja rings, +15 Pyromancy, and even several instances of malicious cheating like weapons that curse and egg your characters. You're clearly invested in the PVP so this kind of stuff might not be that big a deal for you, but for someone who was mostly interested in the single player experience, it was the most toxic, vile thing about the game because it just made the experience worse in every way. It completely blows and just ends up hurting the MP in the long run because those people stop playing.

Maybe the current standard in this game will also hurt the MP, but I have a feeling that career invaders aren't going to stop anytime soon, especially considering DS2 practically required long-term invaders to learn to use cheat engine to get their orbs.

Anyway, all the points you're bringing up about bonfires assume that you've reached them and you already know the level. Now that I've finished Road of Sacrifices and the swamp, yeah, I don't have any problem navigating quickly to a bloodstain, but that's because I've cleared 'em out and I know where everything is. Considering this is a new game and you can only be invaded if you haven't killed the boss yet, it's likely that most people getting invaded don't have a solid grasp of the environment yet, or even how to deal with normal enemies.

I think there's a lot of things that could be done to improve the MP, and the game in general. Part of me wishes that there was just a straight up decent lobby for setting up PVP matches like any other game, that way people can get their fights all the time risk and hassle-free, but it's not a very Dark Souls solution.

I think it really does come down to how much time you have in the game, or experience with the souls genre as a whole. I remember way back in my first DaS1 playthrough being terrified at losing my souls when I died, creeping back slowly towards my bloodstain and cowering behind a shield. The thought of ever popping a humanity and opening myself up to invasion seemed like absolute insanity. Later experience helped me realize that souls aren't that big a deal and whatever pocket change you're losing from random deaths is nothing compared to the pile that bosses give you, not to mention eating the boss souls if you don't need their weapons. And most importantly, the fact that skill and experience are vastly more of a game-changer than stats and levels.

Playing 2, and even more so in 3 I just don't care. I'd explore down one path, maybe die, and just write off the souls and see what was down the other way. I hardly bothered picking up blood stains unless it was already on the way to wherever I was going. And I still finished the game as level 90-something. But I could see how a newer player to the series would have the same cautious, conservative approach that I started with, and for them someone coming in out of nowhere to wreck them would be a real rage-inducing moment that could drive them right out of the game forever.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
As a knight, does it make sense to add gems to my weapons since that will drop the attribute bonus or should I just not be using them on weapons and keep the attribute bonus in place?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

The Shortest Path posted:

+1 through +10 are totally independent of your infusion and never go away, they increase all base and scaling damages.

wat? So I can reinforce a weapon a bunch and then infuse it to avoid spending titanite scales or whatever on reinforcing the infused weapon?

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
So boss soul weapons can't be upgraded right?

Is there any reason to use the early bosses weapons? I made the greatsword out of the big tree guy's soul but it's just a heavier sword that does less damage than my +2 broadsword.

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

HnK416 posted:

I so, so deeply want this to be an actual thing that you can do.

Real-talk tho, what's a good way to deal with that thing?

Run around it, position yourself so it's between you and the ballista and wait for it to die. There's even a nice little foxhole there so the bolts don't hit you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Finster Dexter posted:

wat? So I can reinforce a weapon a bunch and then infuse it to avoid spending titanite scales or whatever on reinforcing the infused weapon?

Titanite Scales and Twinkling Titanite are only used on transposed and unique weapons, they don't apply to anything on the standard 1-10 upgrade path.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So some items mentioned a girl imprisoned in The Great Archives but I never found her in my playthrough. Is that a sidequest? Is it related to being able to wax my head?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

404notfound posted:

I'm having trouble joining the Mound Makers.

Every time I go up to the guy with the cage, he turns around. I tried sprinting to get there before he can turn and it doesn't work, and if I walk, I can't seem to catch up to him. What's the trick?

Did you already kill crotch-rot greatwood? He doesn't aggro otherwise and you can just run right up to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Finster Dexter posted:

Did you already kill crotch-rot greatwood? He doesn't aggro otherwise and you can just run right up to him.

I didn't kill him, but I did activate him. I guess that's the point of no return then? Everything I've read said that it's dependent on whether or not you've killed him yet.